PDA

View Full Version : What should a Newbie buy first?

Ghost
August 15, 2012, 2:11 PM
Im a newbie to the world of Gundam models. What should I buy as a starter kit?

thwalker13
August 15, 2012, 2:15 PM
Well do have an overall favorite series of Gundam?

Ghost
August 15, 2012, 2:22 PM
Not really. I haven't watched Gundam for a while so I can't really remember a favorite.

thwalker13
August 15, 2012, 2:25 PM
Well Gundam AGE is said to be a great starting point for new Gunpla modelers. So I suppose you could start there. Or even the Universal Century line.

Ghost
August 15, 2012, 2:31 PM
Alright thanks! Are there any great websites you would recommend to buy from?

thwalker13
August 15, 2012, 2:48 PM
Well. I used to buy exclusively from Gundam Store and More. But lately they have been running low on stock and they're really slow on getting in shipments. So I've been purchasing from GGinfinite. They have decent prices and are excellent on shipping. Other forum members have ordered from Robot4Less and other sites. I've heard nothing but good reviews about Robot4Less. So there's 3 sites for ya to check out. Good luck and hope to see what kit you picked out.

Ghost
August 15, 2012, 2:53 PM
Thanks! I'll check them all out. Also, do you think 'Bandai #05 Freedom Gundam 1/144 Real Grade' is a good model to buy. I found it on Amazon for $35

uncleremuslegend
August 15, 2012, 3:00 PM
you shouldn't be disappointed with any RG model, from what i have seen... i haven't had the chance to pick any of them up yet, but they are on my list of new kits to buy, as i am still clearing backlog kits from a few years ago, and i take more time than anyone should...

Ghost
August 15, 2012, 3:11 PM
you shouldn't be disappointed with any RG model, from what i have seen... i haven't had the chance to pick any of them up yet, but they are on my list of new kits to buy, as i am still clearing backlog kits from a few years ago, and i take more time than anyone should...

Haha alright. But would it be hard for me to build a RG kit considering I'm a beginner? I'm pretty good at constructing things but have never done Model constructions aside from LEGO. Also, one last question. Do I have to buy all the extra things like markers/paints or can the full kit be constructed straight from the box?

uncleremuslegend
August 15, 2012, 3:15 PM
bandai's kits are specifically designed to be able to build right out of the box...it's up to you if you want to see how big of a timesink you can make it :thumbs:

Ghost
August 15, 2012, 3:21 PM
So the colors won't be off and it'll look epic right out of the box? :D

squeam
August 15, 2012, 3:27 PM
Correct. You will, of course, need a pair of nippers and a hobby knife/Xacto kinfe of some sort.

The RG Freedom is amazing-looking right out of the box. There are a TON of tiny pieces in the RG line, so make sure you take your time and are very careful during the build process.

Ghost
August 15, 2012, 3:29 PM
Thanks a lot for the help guys!

uncleremuslegend
August 15, 2012, 4:23 PM
So the colors won't be off and it'll look epic right out of the box? :D

i have done my fair share of kits, but even the PG's fail to obtain 'epic' status without at least a few extra hours *terms used loosely* of work on them, on my opinion...but then again like they say 'beauty is in the eye of the beholder'... just hope you don't ever run into a beholder.... :D

Deathscythe!
August 15, 2012, 5:20 PM
you've not revealed your location, but I presume it is very easy to realize you living in America, therefore I'd also be deliberate to order kits at Hlj. I live in Germany and I've been waiting for ny out to arrive for a time now, but the service is decently properly executed.

Ghost
August 15, 2012, 6:30 PM
Yes, I live in Illinois in the US