PDA

View Full Version : Thinking of getting a new Master Grade Gundam

J-muss
August 11, 2012, 1:55 PM
Just ordered my first 2 master grades this week, a GM and Nemo. Now I'm wanting an actual Gundam model over just the 2 grunts.

So I'm looking for suggestions, hopefully GSaM will be restocked by the time I choose to order(which won't be for a while).

What I'm looking for:

A Gundam, no Mobile Suits!

Anything from any series except G-Gundam.

Max I want to spend BEFORE shipping is about 60$-80$.

I really have no preference of a specific Gundam(obviously I have my favs) I just want something that is a great model, great detail, good pose-ability, fun to build, a challenge, badass looking, etc...

Also ANY suggestions for Master Grades to stay away from, maybe they're just not as good as they should be. That info would be helpful too.

I know we have a topic already for kit suggestions but its alot to look through and I have specifics of what I'm looking for.

Thanks in advance for any help.

ItsVince725
August 11, 2012, 2:08 PM
Master Grade Sword Impulse Gundam is absolutely fantastic. Super solid, huge awesome swords...

Asterisk
August 11, 2012, 2:35 PM
Given the 2 you already have, I'd recommend the Gundam Mk.II 2.0 AEUG colors.

Kenico
August 11, 2012, 4:18 PM
I second Asterisks Suggestion, or better yet Hi Nu, OO Raiser, Wing (KA or TV Version your call), Wing Zero, Destiny, or if youre nostalgic the old MG Alex. those are my pics and most of those are in my MG Collection.

EDIT: i also second Vinces suggestioin and i also reccomend the Force Impulse...

Joe
August 11, 2012, 4:24 PM
MG Zeta Gundam 2.0 if you want a challenge (the transformation). If you want just an all around great build, MG Gundam Mk II Ver 2.0 (either Titans or AEUG) is my all time favorite MG to date. The Gundam Wing MG series is really great as well. MG Impulse (either version) is spectacular, as is Infinite Justice.

Kits to stay away from...? I can't really think of any. Maybe the Zeta Gundam 1.0 (the original from the 90's) I've heard it's atrocious, but I have not built it and I do intend to at some point despite it's reported flaws.

Why are you not interested in the G-Gundam kits?

J-muss
August 11, 2012, 4:53 PM
Why are you not interested in the G-Gundam kits?

Not really a fan of G-Gundam, I absolutely love the grunt Mobile Suits from other series and well G-Gundam didn't really have any besides the Death Army ones. The whole tournament thing doesn't really appeal to me either.

I like the looks of the MK II, Force/Sword Impulse and HI NU out of the suggestions so far. Guess I'll just have to look into them more. Though before buying another model from seed(have the HG Infinite Justice) I think I should watch at least the first season, I cant remember ever watching seed.

Though I am currently rewatching Wing, seen it a few times but was always distracted by other stuff and well I am really liking Epyon and Sandrock, how are their Master Grades?

Squee
August 11, 2012, 5:10 PM
Have you any liking toward the original Gundam? The RX One Year War and the 2.0 are really great kits!

D-Smith
August 11, 2012, 5:21 PM
i don't think there is such thing as a bad MG. yes there are some that require a little extra work, but isn't that what this hobby is about? lol so just do what everytone should do and just get whatever is your favorite design from the show at the time. but dont pass up a MG kit because its not praised as much as another.

J-muss
August 11, 2012, 5:24 PM
Have you any liking toward the original Gundam? The RX One Year War and the 2.0 are really great kits!

The UC universe is my favorite, so yeah I love the original Gundam.
00 is a close second(exluding trailblazer which I havent seen but heard was terrible)

thwalker13
August 11, 2012, 5:48 PM
Though I am currently rewatching Wing, seen it a few times but was always distracted by other stuff and well I am really liking Epyon and Sandrock, how are their Master Grades?

I have the MG Epyon. A truly fantastic kit. I'd recommend it to anyone.

J-muss
August 11, 2012, 5:59 PM
I have the MG Epyon. A truly fantastic kit. I'd recommend it to anyone.

Well the Epyon was my first ever Gundam Series model kit when I was a kid... I also learned alot from that kit because I really messed up on it. So I figured it would make a great first MG "Gundam" kit, kind of like an homage to my first kit experience.

Satyr000
August 12, 2012, 1:08 AM
I would recommend MG Nu Gundam. It's a pretty good over all kit. Only issue I can see you having with it is it's size. Even without the Fin Funnels its a pretty big kit. So be sure to have a lot of vertical space where you are going to display it.

squeam
August 12, 2012, 5:03 PM
I'll add to this.

MG Force Impulse, Sword Impulse, Infinite Justice, Mk. II 2.0, Zeta 2.0, Hi-Nu, and O.Y.W. RX-78-2 all have these things in common: super-expressive articulation, wounderful detail, near-perfect color seperation, loads of accessories, rad MS design, and fun build processes.

Mk.II 2.0 fits with your current GM and Nemo (an absolutely wonderful choice, BTW!!!). Remember, AEUG ver. comes with a display base, Titans ver. does not.

Zeta 2.0 also pairs well with what you have already. It also comes with a base. I would sat its construction is the most challenging of this list, due to the transformation that is accomplished. And it's so unique as a Gundam design.

Force Impulse gets you a huge flight pack that makes the kit a bit back-heavy, but not as much as you'd expect.

Sword Impulse has a small backpack with Beam Boomerangs plus 2 massive swords. I personally prefer it to the FI.

Infinite Justice is terribly back heavy and almost requires that you buy an Action Base to display it effectively. You'll not see colors like it on another Gundam. The biggest problem you'll have is deciding which of its myriad of close-range weapons you want to display it with ;)

Hi-Nu is huge. And expensive. But...it's worth it. You get a slew of cool weapons, plus a very nifty base with points for the Fin Funnels to attach to - just remember, funnel weapons never look as cool as you think unless you do a LOT of customization to them.

The One Year War Gundam RX-78-2 is...just great. It's cheap. It has every weapon you could want. Building it is fun, albeit not that complex. There are panel-lines everywhere that make it look like the most realistic iteration of the classic Gundam. Posability is outstanding. Balance is perfect. Littered with little gimmicks that WORK.

So, yeah, there's my take on those. Destiny's never been my cup of tea. Wing has it's hits and misses. The newer line has some really strong MGs, but nothing wonderfully intricate or hyper-detailed. I'd reccomend the newer Wing Gundam (not EW) or definitely Sandrock, if you're into that. Not that EW Wing is necessarily bad, I just don't particularly enjoy it. My Epyon has issues maintaining the poses I want with it's weapons, esp. compared to the other kits above. D-Hell is cool, but the build is kinda -meh-. Nu Gundam isn't as bad as most of the Internet would tell you, but compared to some of these kits, it gets outclassed in a hurry. Alex cannot hold a candle to these kits. I agree with Joe - Zeta 2.0 blows the original outta the water. The G-Gundam MGs are actually really nifty builds and very articulate (and able to hold their pose for years, I know); but, if ya don't like 'em, you have enough other choices :)

squeam
August 12, 2012, 5:09 PM
-as if I needed to add more-

Oh! 00 MGs. The Exia MG has weak ankles, but that doesn't make it a weak kit. In fact, my Exia Ignition Mode is the centerpiece to one of my shelves - it just looks so freakin' cool. Get an Action Base and it competes with anything else out there. In the words of The Used, it is a Box Of Sharp Objects; I mean, you get all 7 swords!

00 Raiser is over the top, but not as much as the 00 7 Sword/G. I actually haven't got one of these yet, so I withhold my judgement. Seems like you'll need an Action Base for them and I know the shoulder binders have issues staying in a fixed pose. But, hey, LEDs. LEDs are cool, right?

rechardlynn
August 13, 2012, 4:34 AM
take squeam's suggestion, the Eixa MG excellent

uncleremuslegend
August 13, 2012, 10:44 AM
FAZZ if you can... that kit is just awesome... seven sword/g and MSA-0011 S Gundam are also really nice looking Gundams... might save a few bucks and be able to get some new paints/supplies as well...

and i just re-read and noticed, you have NO gundam kits? then this should be answered by an answer given in unison... RX-78-2 any version, just you have to have some sort of RX-78-2 in there somewhere... cancel all orders and make sure you get this one today... :p

RX-78-2
August 13, 2012, 12:48 PM
Rx782 OYW ver

J-muss
August 13, 2012, 2:04 PM
and i just re-read and noticed, you have NO gundam kits?

No I have about 15 currently, since I was a kid... probably closer to 30+ but I have no clue what happened to the others.

Well the MK.II, RX-78-2 and HI-NU are probably the 3 that interest me the most at the moment. All depends on how much money I have and hopefully GSaM will have it in stock, could go elsewhere but GSaM is my preference.

uncleremuslegend
August 13, 2012, 2:41 PM
right on, to each their own, but no RX-78-2 = blasphemy.... :D

Executionervt009
August 13, 2012, 7:58 PM
If your looking for a newer Gundam kit, I second and third the RX-178 MK II, in either color, great kit, great build, a must-build IMO. Another choice might be the Gundam AGE-1 Normal, classic style with a modern look, ~40 bucks depending where u buy, and all the newest construction technology!

Joe
August 13, 2012, 9:51 PM
... the Gundam AGE-1 Normal ... all the newest construction technology!

Obviously you haven't built many of the older styled MG kits. I see a lot of old ideas coming back into play with the AGE-1 Normal. There are some new tricks, yes, but a lot of older ones cleverly disguised. One of my biggest issues with the AGE MG kits is the switch back to hard plastic for the inner frame and back to poly-caps for most joints. I like the ABS plastic for joints and inner frame a lot better.

That being said, yes, it is a good kit - classic style/modern look just as you mentioned. Good stuff!

J-muss
August 14, 2012, 12:32 PM
Well I'm currently building my MG GM V.2.0 and well... wow! Alot more detail and realism then I expected, they even have simulated hydraulics, thats just awesome.
I think I need a Zaku to go with it too ;)

MiyoMiyoChan
August 15, 2012, 8:10 PM
Master Grade Sword Impulse Gundam is absolutely fantastic. Super solid, huge awesome swords...

That was my first MG kit. :)

Sigzeon
August 20, 2012, 2:50 AM
Duel or Sandrock....

Joe
August 20, 2012, 7:16 PM
Duel! I just feel like you're getting SO much more for the price difference.