PDA

View Full Version : PG Aile Strike Gundam Customization

Universal Artist
August 9, 2012, 6:56 PM
Hey everybody I'm new to forums but I'm starting a pretty big project and i needed some opinions other than my own on what i should do. I figured there was no better place to get opinions on Gundam than here. With all introductions aside i'll tell you about my project. I have a perfect grade of the Aile Strike Gundam, flight pack and all, and i have just gotten tired of looking at such a wonderful piece with such mediocre color and finish. I pretty much have the resources to do whatever i want paint-wise and i want it to be different than things that have been done before. I've searched the web for other customs and i decided that Chrome finish and Gundams were totally freaking awesome together. I'm looking to use Polished Brass, Chrome, and Matte Black in combination on my model. Here's my preliminary sketch and i just want opinions on what i should change, what's good, or if i should just go back to the old drawing board.

You just have to click on the picture to make it big. I don't get what the deal is with that.

thwalker13
August 9, 2012, 10:13 PM
That's a pretty impressive undertaking. Personally I think it would look really cool. Are you planning on doing just the MS or the Striker Pack along with it?

Universal Artist
August 9, 2012, 10:53 PM
Thank you for the positive feedback :) I'm doing the pack as well. The base picture i used for the sketch didn't have the pack so that's why it isn't there. By the way i was wondering do you think i should add more color or keep it simple so the LEDs pop more?

D-Smith
August 9, 2012, 11:38 PM
what kind of experience do you have painting? do you paint regularly or is this your first attempt?

Squee
August 9, 2012, 11:51 PM
^Yea that! What do you mean exactly when you say you have the resources available? What you're talking about doing, you need to get the kit prepped perfectly smooth for chrome. Any imperfections will be very obvious with that finish, especially with that model scale.

Universal Artist
August 10, 2012, 12:16 AM
i paint pretty regularly and i have a pretty good teacher at home with years and years of experience.

Universal Artist
August 10, 2012, 12:20 AM
Also Squee I have experience with painting motorcycles (full size) so i understand the concept of perfectly smooth. The resources i have are airbrushes, airguns, masks, masking tape, masking paper, Alclad 2 paints, all sandpapers, and a whole lot of time.

thwalker13
August 10, 2012, 7:40 AM
I think keeping the jewel and the yellow V-Fin a nice chrome red and yellow. It would offset the LED lit eyes.

Squee
August 10, 2012, 1:39 PM
Also Squee I have experience with painting motorcycles (full size) so i understand the concept of perfectly smooth. The resources i have are airbrushes, airguns, masks, masking tape, masking paper, Alclad 2 paints, all sandpapers, and a whole lot of time.

Awesome. As soon as i read, painting full sized motorcycles, lol you didn't need to list the rest. Respect man!!

Universal Artist
August 10, 2012, 2:11 PM
Thanks thewalker13 I totally agree with the jewel idea. I was also thinking of keeping the main V-Fin chrome and the second set above would be either yellow or gold. But anyways red chrome jewel would look fantastic.

Universal Artist
August 10, 2012, 2:19 PM
Squee thank you for the "Respect man!!" Lol I was wondering, I've seen how people paint a lot of parts at the same time with rods stuck into a box or Styrofoam, but how do the parts of armor or frame stick to the rods. Are they balanced, stuck on with putty? It's really stumping me haha.

Asterisk
August 10, 2012, 2:57 PM
Some people use sticky tack, others use alligator clips.

Universal Artist
August 10, 2012, 3:01 PM
Some people use sticky tack, others use alligator clips.

Thank you! Asterisk do you think it would be overkill to do all of the panel lining after the kit is chromed?

D-Smith
August 10, 2012, 3:21 PM
Well make sure you yse a sealer on it or else when you go to clean your excess away that alclad will come off before your wash does lol. But i your doung the entire kit chrome i would to break it up a bit.

Universal Artist
August 10, 2012, 3:31 PM
Well make sure you yse a sealer on it or else when you go to clean your excess away that alclad will come off before your wash does lol. But i your doung the entire kit chrome i would to break it up a bit.

Well not the whole kit chrome, just most of the armor and some of the inner frame.

Squee
August 10, 2012, 5:24 PM
Alclad suggests using their sealer before applying decals and lining. You have to be careful what you use to seal the chrome, many topcoats will alter the look of the natural metallic finish. I've recently tried out some 2 part urethane gloss and it works wonders! I have yet to try it out on alclad yet, but i will be trying it tonight.

By Urethane, i'm referring to a similar batch to the kind used on cars, or in your case, bikes, so you might have access to it already and can test it out. :D

Universal Artist
August 10, 2012, 5:50 PM
Alclad suggests using their sealer before applying decals and lining. You have to be careful what you use to seal the chrome, many topcoats will alter the look of the natural metallic finish. I've recently tried out some 2 part urethane gloss and it works wonders! I have yet to try it out on alclad yet, but i will be trying it tonight.

By Urethane, i'm referring to a similar batch to the kind used on cars, or in your case, bikes, so you might have access to it already and can test it out. :D

I was planning on using an autobody clear after sealing it. The armor should be diamond hard when i'm finished with it. Hopefully i can get to clear-coating before winter because winter's water content in the air makes the hardening process take forever without a heat lamp. I am debating whether or not i want the armor to look like true chrome or if multiple clear coats will be worth it in the long run.

TheMeatheadGeek
December 7, 2012, 2:35 PM
i gotta see this!!!!