PDA

View Full Version : Uncleremus' Ongoing Mess of Work

uncleremuslegend
August 3, 2012, 10:15 AM
posted in my introduction thread, and hope to have this one very active here in the next few weeks/months/decades or whatever is needed :)

starting off where i left off when i took my modelling hiatus...

this weekend will be hitting up the local hobby shop and restocking my paint supply, also intend to get some fresh tools into rotation and replenish my dremel supplies, as i have used about all i had left on some bike restorations/car work and misplaced the rest...good news, the more expensive equipment (compressor, airbrush, flexshaft dremel and table) are all in good operating order... that was the main concern...

hope to be updating this thread on a fairly consistent basis, but we will see with work and family

thwalker13
August 3, 2012, 10:39 AM
I see a lot of great kits in there. Looking forward to seeing the updates to these. Especially the Sazabi and Kampfer.

uncleremuslegend
August 7, 2012, 9:17 AM
dawned on me that i had left my PG rx-178mkII off the list of 'must finish' projects, i started this kit before i took a 7-8year hiatus... got a little busy this weekend, and didn't get near as much accomplished as i had hoped... but got some stuff knocked out last night...moving along quite nicely... this is my first PG(well worth it if you don't have one, and i am a tightwad), and i plan on painting him fully once the assembly is done, as most of the kit has removable armor panels that can be easily airbrushed, and the underside is more suited for fine brush work/washes...

thwalker13
August 7, 2012, 9:24 AM
That is one nice looking PG Mk.II man. I can't wait to get my 1st PG, also can't wait to see this guy all painted up.

Deathscythe!
August 7, 2012, 9:54 AM
Nicely performed. Your assembly looks good. But are PGs not usually delivered with special stickers ?

uncleremuslegend
August 7, 2012, 9:57 AM
and i plan on painting him fully once the assembly is done, as most of the kit has removable armor panels that can be easily airbrushed, and the underside is more suited for fine brush work/washes...

yes, he has the transfer decals... but i can't get those on until the paint/paneling/wash is done ;)

Gundamben831
August 7, 2012, 11:11 AM
very nice, the mark II is indeed a fun build, out of the perfect grades I've built the Mk.II is by far my favorite. I almost wish there was some way I could buy that Sazabi off you, because I need one to complete my CCA builds. I look forward to your builds as you have a lot of neat kits in the works, hope to see more pics soon.

uncleremuslegend
August 7, 2012, 11:25 AM
very nice, the mark II is indeed a fun build, out of the perfect grades I've built the Mk.II is by far my favorite. I almost wish there was some way I could buy that Sazabi off you, because I need one to complete my CCA builds. I look forward to your builds as you have a lot of neat kits in the works, hope to see more pics soon.

GSAM has them in stock if you are looking to grab one up before ebay becomes the only place to procure one... complete Char's Counter MS builds... nice theme there :thumbsup:

the anniversary one is still OOS... :( http://www.gundamstoreandmore.com/mssazmasgrad.html

D-Smith
August 7, 2012, 10:29 PM
there not transfer decals there stickers. i suggest looking for some water slides online because PG's dont deserve stickers lol... its just mean..

uncleremuslegend
August 13, 2012, 10:24 AM
right on... will have to keep an eye out for them... gets kinda hairy looking on ebay for the kit specific decals, my eyes hurt from all the unimportant text from the ESL'ers...

anywho, small update, i always forget to snap pics when i am working... not the greatest pics, the paint doesn't really show well in these pictures, and these are incomplete/taken during working...going gunmetal with the innerframe with handpainting, underside of shield prewashed and ready to be cleaned/detailed out... working slowly but if the amount of time i put in this weekend it should be ready for main colorization and final detailing/buffing up by this weekend.... here's to crossed fingers!

my main issue, is remembering to take current updated pictures while working... i get on a roll, and don't think about anything else, i am sure no one else has that issue...

thwalker13
August 13, 2012, 11:09 AM
Actually you're not the only one. When building kits that I want to document I try to remember to stop and take pics. But a lot of the times I get into a groove and just keep building. Then realize I forgot to take the pics. lol

But, the weathering looks great on the shield. And the detail on the inner frame of the leg is looking awesome.

uncleremuslegend
August 15, 2012, 8:29 AM
SLOW progress... moving a bit more into further deconstruction, making sure all the parts are fitting the way i want them to, shaving and using a gunmetal based 'wash' applied with brushes/sponging to give it that 'worn' look... once again these photos don't do the actual work much justice, as it's just my phone pics... going to try to locate my actual camera tonight to get some better quality pics... maybe those will show the true nature of the paintwork3215

uncleremuslegend
August 15, 2012, 1:19 PM
went and bought some new paints today... hoping to get out of work early and get some more progress done to the underside detailing, as well as progressing further on my washing... :clap:

uncleremuslegend
August 17, 2012, 9:18 AM
a little more progress on the first wash... going for the 'really been used' look... these were taken with the crappy phone again, and while drying... this morning most of it had evened out, but this will be getting another coat, this is being done on the fly and with no concrete direction

the wash is gunmetal thinned down beyond recognition, and i think it's coming along pretty good...maybe another few *cough* 25-30hours *cough* will have this guy hitting my expectations, but not bad for not having touched plastic in more than a few years... what you think? tips ?

Gundamben831
August 17, 2012, 9:29 AM
I like it, I have for many years now been wanting to build a diorama and do a battle scene between gundams, my ultimate goal if I ever have enough money and time is to recreate that first scene in zeta where Kamile took the Mk.II and smashed the other unit into the building. I want to recreate that.

uncleremuslegend
August 17, 2012, 4:47 PM
thanks Gben! slowly working on this has renewed my passion for kitting for sure... hoping that the more i get re-familiarized with my paints and equipment that my techniques come back up to par... like i said, looking around i see i have lots of catching up to do... lol....

uncleremuslegend
August 20, 2012, 10:52 AM
almost done with the washing, and getting ready for the 'bring it all together' painting... been detailing edges, adding realistic 'somewhat' looking metal wearing through paint... waiting for this weekend to come get here again so i can put some more needed hours into this... think i have gotten way too far in over my head on this one... :???:

looks like crap, i know i know, but it should have a nice worn look, in a realistic manner... or it will be a really expensive 'welcome back to gunpla, you suck!' kit... lol...

edit:for what it is worth all painting thus far has been done by hand...

thwalker13
August 20, 2012, 11:28 AM
Looks like that Mk.II has been through hell. Very nice job though on the weathering. Looks great man.

uncleremuslegend
August 21, 2012, 1:35 PM
thanks...it has been through hell for sure, but hopefully the finished product will achieve the look i am going for... got the brushing supplies all lined up, need to fill my tank and get some coating on that thing... hoping to start my next 3 project snappings this week... 1/144 HG GPO3, 1/144 HG Aile Strike, and MG Quel/GM type ES... haven't decided on which GM first...

uncleremuslegend
August 31, 2012, 10:03 AM
teaser of the final top coat before sealing... going for this effect on all the white, and going to coat the rest in their respective colors with a little variation

uncleremuslegend
September 5, 2012, 3:57 PM
hmmm he's getting bigger, hit a wall this week with work and family again... eventually this bastard will be done, and i can move on to the others that are feeling left out...

blue/yellow haven't been coated and worn to match effect, head is painted but left if alone for the time being to see the contrast on the mockup and see if i needed to retouch anything... looks meh, ok i guess...

thwalker13
September 5, 2012, 4:28 PM
It's looking awesome so far. Can't wait to see what you post up next.

uncleremuslegend
September 10, 2012, 10:02 AM
i hate yellow, this bronze will get it's own oil staining and fading effect
partially re-assembled, waiting for the rest of the parts to cure for color matching fade, and then go to town on them...

QUESTION HERE: anyone know anything about this gun shown in the instruction manual? they show it, but alas don't include it... i need one, or 2 or 5...

hopefully it's going to turn out half-decent so i don't have to light this thing on fire

thwalker13
September 10, 2012, 11:40 AM
I don't remember seeing anything like that in the anime. You sure it's a gun and not some sort of part for the ship?

uncleremuslegend
September 10, 2012, 11:45 AM
from the image, i would say yes, it is a gun... notice the 'movable scope' on the top rail... appears to move the same way the one on the beam rifle does, but this is the only picture in the manual that shows that particular gun/rifle...

D-Smith
September 10, 2012, 4:28 PM
i thought it was just moving something in the hanger because other then that picture in the manuel i have never seen or heard anything about that.

uncleremuslegend
September 10, 2012, 4:34 PM
hmmm it very well could be, just the way he is holding it and what appears to be a barrel on the end, with the 'moveable sight' on the top rail, i just assumed it was a firearm of some sort...

thwalker13
September 10, 2012, 5:12 PM
I want to agree with Smith here. Even on the optional Super Gundam parts. I've never seen anything closely resembling that. Would make for interesting custom piece though. If you could make it.

Gundamben831
September 10, 2012, 5:52 PM
that's really weird as I own the Titans Mk.II PG and there is no image of anything like that of the AEUG ver. and especially whatever he is holding just looks foreign to that particular era in the zeta period let alone nothing like that was ever in the anime that I could remember. I really don't know I am seriously scratching my head on this one...

uncleremuslegend
September 19, 2012, 9:39 AM
got all the parts painted up with base color coat and cured out over the weekend and till working slowly on the finished product. been spending some time on plans for the next few kits so i have a foot or two up on them. little progress on the dom, should have him snapped, gouged and putty applied tonight. here's for hoping :thumbs:

Gundamben831
September 19, 2012, 11:14 AM
sounds like fun there Remus, you'll like what I have in store for my new wip thread.... A Massive order of GM's lol I went GM crazy and just about bought 6-10 different 1/144 GM kits all from 0080 to UC and the GM custom and GM cannon were on the order, all I need is a GP01 to make my 0083 little dio

uncleremuslegend
September 19, 2012, 2:37 PM
neato...guess i need to get on the GM production wagon, 2 MG's await me when i get to them, after all this color scheming

uncleremuslegend
September 28, 2012, 11:46 AM
more slow updating this week, nothing worth taking pictures of, as i don't like to really document, well much of anything. have been busy with other things around the house, namely getting my model station really figured out, as i intend on buying a replicator after the first of the year. already have my floor plan drawn *tearing down a half-assed shed and building a new one* and material list up and accruing materials to get started and hope to have it finished by christmas time, which would be awesome considering the time that i really get to work on non-work throughout the week. have been delaying the finished version of the mkII, because, well honestly, i don't want to be done with it, and then have that feeling that you aren't happy with something... he is painted, just need a few random parts weathering/worn paint finished up and minor detailing....

Gundamben831
September 28, 2012, 7:32 PM
can't wait to see more pictures

uncleremuslegend
October 2, 2012, 9:53 AM
3571 the way things ended up last night... still fighting with if i am happy or not with this so far, not like it would kill me to strip him and start over

also had this little gem pop up and presented to me from a friend, it's kinda nostalgic, he found it and picked it up hoping that i could do a straight build for his living room, will see what i can pull off, as this is *ahem* sort of a comission :lol:

Gundamben831
October 2, 2012, 10:27 AM
I really like the way how your Mk.II is turning out. I like how it has that battlefield feel to him but also shows how tough the Mk.II can be.

uncleremuslegend
October 18, 2012, 11:17 AM
first coat of final 'dirt wash' applied last night. He is sitting at about 95% complete. Next is finishing up the 1/144 hguc Dom Tropen. Now that this PG is pretty much done, the kits will be moving a bit faster... hopefully

gundamnewb
October 18, 2012, 11:36 AM
Looks awesome!!!

uncleremuslegend
December 3, 2012, 10:28 AM
noticed i haven't updated in a while, almost 2 full months now... i will take some pics of the finished product this weekend, assuming i get around to it... been on vacation for the last week and half, mk2 has been sitting finished for a few weeks now... just always forget to update.