PDA

View Full Version : Your Gundam Hobby and You Significant Other

Joe
July 21, 2012, 7:47 PM
I saw a similar topic on a different forum, but I don't care about them, I care about you guys! :-P

How is your hobby of Gunpla viewed by your significant other? This could be your girl/boyfriend, wife/husband, fiance, what-have-you.

It's been a long time coming, but after nearly 4 years of being together my fiance has not only accepted but embraced my love of Gunpla. When we were first dating, I remember showing her my collection trying to act like it was just a hobby and I tried really hard not to be a total geek. Of course, when you enter into a long term relationship it gradually gets harder and harder to hide parts of your personality from that special someone. After about 6 months she pretty well knew that Gunpla and me were a lifelong commitment. She tried very hard to accept it and pretend it didn't bother her. I decided to show her a bit more of my obsession by actually working on models in front of her while we conversed. Eventually, Gundam became part of the everyday routine. Then - finally - after a bit of coaxing, I got her to build her very first kit. I had her start with the grand-daddy Gundam and gave her a spare HGUC RX-78-2 Gundam. It took her a while to get used to the idea but she finished it in one night with a few pointers and a set of my extra tools.

A few weeks later, I gave her a HGUC Mass Production Type Zaku II to go along with her Gundam. She liked the Zaku MUCH better. It went on from there, every once and a while I'd buy a kit that she had commented on and give it to her. HGUC Qubeley, HG Astrea F Type, HG Trans-AM Exia, MG Infinite Justice, MG Trans-AM Exia, and it went on that way for a while. I'd give her a model and she would work on it and enjoy herself but she would never admit that she liked Gunpla. There came a day about two years ago where she was ordering kits for me for the holidays and saw something she really wanted and bought it for herself. that was the first time that SHE paid for her own kit. I was impressed and since then she has begrudgingly accepted that she too likes Gunpla. Not as much as I do, but she does have more than a passing interest. She has built several Master Grades, a decent amount of High Grades, but her favorite line of kits is the Sangokuden line. She's become a little obsessed with them, going so far as to dedicating an entire shelf on her precious book stand to the SD's instead of her beloved books (she's a bibliophile, BTW).

I knew she was the one, that's why I proposed. I've been in this hobby since before I ever started dating. All of my exes either thought nothing of my hobby, tried to ignore it, or outright hated it. My most recent ex actually stole a model from me and I'm not sure why, she hated my hobby so much... but whatever.

So how about you guys?

thwalker13
July 21, 2012, 9:40 PM
I'm kinda like you Joe. Though I went a couple years without building or even touching a model. However I still had all my kits that I had built up from where I was little. I had never been much of a dating type. I've only had a few G/Fs over the years. But when I met my wife, we dated, fell in love, had kids, got married, got a house. So on and so forth. We've been married about 1.5 years now. Well about a year ago, I found Rrobbert184 on YouTube. And I pretty much watched every video that he had ever posted. Watching all those videos reminded me just how much I love Gundam. So I did a few Google searches, found out that a ton of new Gundam Series' had been released. I watched Gundam Seed and I was hooked like a fish after that. I was determined to get back into Gunpla.

Ok now that the brief history lesson is over. I'll answer your question. The 1st kit that I got to get back into Gunpla was the MG Epyon. And at first my wife basically made fun of me every time that I would sit down and work on it. She would even do so after I got my MG Strike Freedom. It bugged me a little. Which is why I never told anyone that I built Gunpla when I was little. But, after I got the platinum membership to GS&M and got a few Non-Grade kits. She actually asked me if she could put one or two of them together. Well she ended up putting together three Non-Grade kits. The Raider, Justice, and some V-Gundam kit that I had never seen before. After that I bought her, her 1st HG kit. The Justice. She put it together and seemed to enjoy it. She has expressed interest in the Gunpla side of things. Though she still refuses to watch any OVA series. After the Justice she really hasn't expressed any interest in putting together another kit. She has made comments that I spend to much time building and working on my kits instead of spending time with her. But that is something else entirely. Any who. I hope that answers your question Joe. And I will say that I plan to continue to build and even customize Gunpla.

Deathscythe!
July 21, 2012, 10:15 PM
Once upon a time, there was a noble adolescent, respecting all other forms of coteries consisting of youths. This courageous adolescent had, however, finally managed to arrange a union with a female adolescent being slightly younger than he was. Having admiring emotions for her, that young adolescent was having a nice time. They seemed to have coalesced and to have talked about several topics. Nontheless, the woman did not have any knowledge about his devotion to gundam.
So the date went on, when he mentioned the word "GUNDAM". Of course, the woman wanted to know what the unknown word was. The male ad. gently eludicated her into Gundam. Harshly estimating Gundam as shit, the woman did not foresee her regretting explicitly expressing her first expression.
Shocked by the opinions of the up until then admired person, the young adolescent relentlessly seperated.

Up until now, the woman has not been seen by the now deeply "swagster/hipster" detesting young, affronted person. The only recommended action for her to execute is avoiding seeing him.

In other words : Why on earth did that stupid twatt say these things about gundam, not having done any investigation about it? I declined being in a relationship with a preconceptional teenager.

The Madcap
July 21, 2012, 10:39 PM
Hahahahaha. What significant other?
*cries in corner*

thwalker13
July 21, 2012, 10:42 PM
Deathscythe, if I ever fly to Germany for any reason. I'm looking you up. That has sort of happened to me before but that final line cracked me up. Couldn't have said it better myself.

Joe
July 21, 2012, 10:52 PM
The Madcap, no worries, there is someone for everyone. Until then, enjoy Gunpla!

Walker, great story! Give your wife some time, she may come around to watching some Gundam. My fiance (BTW if anyone is wondering, we've no clue when the marriage will be :-P) - anyway, my fiance watch Char's Counter Attack because my roommates and I at the time wanted to watch it. She "suffered" through it and low and behold she wanted me to explain some back story. I explained a little and she wanted more. I told her she will get the whole back story if she watches the animes with me. So she has watched 0079 and 08th MS Team and we are 9 eps from the end of Wing because we decided to take a break from U.C. for a while. Now it's only been a few episodes every once and a while, so it's taken a couple years to get as far as she has, but it's progress.

Deathscythe! That was very entertaining and I couldn't agree more with your last statement! HAHAHAHAHAHA!

thwalker13
July 22, 2012, 12:26 AM
She has stated that she would watch any episodes that has the Epyon in it. She seems to have taken a liking to that particular MS.

batfink21
July 22, 2012, 5:30 AM
My wife thinks I'm insane spending my free-time at the dining table sanding little bits of plastic so I can build make-believe robots from the future. She looks up from her tabloid celebrity magazines or from watching the latest Kardashian reality show and tells me what a waste of time it is...

I choose not to react.

;)

AndrewFuu
July 22, 2012, 5:39 AM
Im 17, and my mom and sister thinks its toys I play around with. LOL

Kenico
July 22, 2012, 7:56 AM
my Folks are understandive. heck so understandive that they constantly bug me about having my Fanfic Advent Published but i keep constantly telling them that i cant due to Bandai owning the name and rights, but you can see that they understand and support it, heck they even love it. yet i have still to teach them the ways of Gundam and Gunpla...still working on that department. lol...my mom loves the Gunpla particularly the finished mod jobs i do on and off...as for my brother, he used to be "Wing is AWESOME! everything else can suck an egg!", that was his mentality until he saw OO and liked it, then i showed him the most favored Gundam Series of the UC aka 8th MS Team and he fell in love with UC...Seed and Destiny, he shares my opinion that Destiny was great up until Ep 39 then it went into the Crapper...and as for the rest of UC? the only one he things was a total epic fail was Zeta, thinks Kamille was a wuss...have to agree with him on that...but i like it and im still wrkin on converting him to that lol.

Joe
July 22, 2012, 8:32 AM
My wife thinks I'm insane spending my free-time at the dining table sanding little bits of plastic so I can build make-believe robots from the future. She looks up from her tabloid celebrity magazines or from watching the latest Kardashian reality show and tells me what a waste of time it is...

I choose not to react.

;)

Wise, wise man.

AndrewFuu, my family all viewed it as just toys too. A long time ago, I was trying to buy my uncle's car from him and he was taking payments from me. Well the car started falling apart before I payed him in full. So he walks up to me, wad of cash in hand and hands it to me. He comes over for a visit one day and says, "I'm not going to sell that piece of sh** car, here's your money back." He holds out the money, I go to take it, then he pulls it away and looks me dead in the eye saying, "Don't go blow it on any of that stupid Gundam crap!" HAHAHAHAHAHAHA! (I bought 5 MG's that week).

Oh and...
Kenyon! Kamille is not a wuss! He's a man and he'll prove it! (angstily punches a Titan officer in the face). LOL.
(okay, he definitely has his moments of wussiness)

Kenico
July 22, 2012, 10:13 AM
@ joe: let me rephrase that: He can Whine like a B**** some times...though on the other hand in A New Translation they really beastifyied him lol.

thwalker13
July 22, 2012, 10:51 AM
Lol. My dad always made fun of me for it. He used to build model cars when he was little so I guess he expected me to do the same. However when I started into Gunpla, he would always call them Gumbies. I guess referring to that TV show with that green guy that looked like a stick of gum.

Edit: And P.S. Kamile was a whiny little B****. Nuff said.

Deathscythe!
July 22, 2012, 6:52 PM
Wise, wise man.

AndrewFuu, my family all viewed it as just toys too. A long time ago, I was trying to buy my uncle's car from him and he was taking payments from me. Well the car started falling apart before I payed him in full. So he walks up to me, wad of cash in hand and hands it to me. He comes over for a visit one day and says, "I'm not going to sell that piece of sh** car, here's your money back." He holds out the money, I go to take it, then he pulls it away and looks me dead in the eye saying, "Don't go blow it on any of that stupid Gundam crap!" HAHAHAHAHAHAHA! (I bought 5 MG's that week).

That last phrase forced me to loudly burst out in laughter xDDDD. Well plannedly acted

Skittles
July 22, 2012, 9:01 PM
Pretty much a 'confirmed bachelor' at this point, and rather happily so. But if I did consider dating in the future, I wouldn't even try to hide my hobbies.

The folks just call them all 'Transformers', which is fine, since I collect those too and there's really no point in trying to correct them.

Deathscythe!
July 22, 2012, 10:07 PM
Pretty much a 'confirmed bachelor' at this point, and rather happily so. But if I did consider dating in the future, I wouldn't even try to hide my hobbies.

The folks just call them all 'Transformers', which is fine, since I collect those too and there's really no point in trying to correct them.

Wow, coming to think of it, I am now thinking about your "forbearance's deserving admiration". And you didn't tell a lie ? Did you really mean to confess not to be provoked, noticing people confund Gundam with Transformers? ... wow.

Skittles
July 22, 2012, 10:31 PM
Did you really mean to confess not to be provoked, noticing people confund Gundam with Transformers? ... wow.

All of the video games are 'Nintendo' as well. It's a wasted effort to detail otherwise -- I am mainly pleased it's no longer 'that crap you keep buying.'

thwalker13
July 23, 2012, 7:12 AM
I've had a few people call them Transformers before. And I really could not help myself correcting them.

Asterisk
July 23, 2012, 7:52 AM
My wife was aware of Gundam before we started dating, and had built an old HG 1/144 Wing Zero Custom some years ago. She had no issues with me being so into the hobby and has since gotten a bit more into it herself, though she's more about liking things for the visual appeal rather than how it appeared in various Gundam media.

thwalker13
July 23, 2012, 8:47 AM
That's about how my wife is. She loves the look of the Epyon. Which I've been thinking of getting her an old HG of the Eypon. Along with the Dorodo. She fell in love with it cause it's purple. lol

Squee
July 23, 2012, 12:56 PM
Currently single and have no time for the fairer sex. Broke up w/ my last gf due to her wanting to get married, and i was in it for convenience/laziness of her living 20 minutes away... XD That being said, her and all of my past gf's have always supported my hobby. My most recent ex, would buy me gundams, and would even snap sd's and one zoid kit. I had to be careful because every time we argued she'd try to steal one of my sd's. It was a double edged sword though as when i broke up with her she explained in detail how she would burn my apt down... A threat that she always said to me whenever i joked about breaking up with her. *Never argue with your significant other near you hobbies!!!!

As soon as you walk in my front door you see some sort of robot be it a transformer gundam or whatever. Most women i hook up with love my toys and want to play with them. If they can't deal with it, then they can leave. lol

CharAznable
July 23, 2012, 7:47 PM
I'm recently single. Past Gf's either understand it, or choose not to draw attention to it. Honestly, I agree with Squee. Love me for me. And I love my Gundams. So don't try and change that. It won't end well :p

SilverFrameAstray
July 23, 2012, 9:21 PM
My girlfriend has been with me for over 3 years. She started off trying to like gundam, found that she liked building kits more than liking the show, then lost time for building kits at all. Can't necessarily talk to her about it as she doesn't know much of it let alone want to know. She doesn't mind though. A good portion of my friends share my Gundam hobby and she's friends with them too.

Gundamswag
August 7, 2012, 12:02 AM
Lol at Deathsythe's post on page 1. I had been working on my first mg (Exia) while with my most recent ex. She never thought it was dumb and she even offered to help me build the legs. I honestly think she liked it, because there was a point where she wanted to build both legs instead of the one we agreed on. I was like no way, this is my gundam, bitch. She kind of had a preconceived notion that the animes were for kids without watching them and we got into a fight about it. She eventually wised up and watched some of 00 and liked it. Nonetheless, said ex was a psycho bitch and I had to cut her loose.

squeam
August 7, 2012, 6:30 AM
I could not dream of a wife that is more supportive of my hobby than mine. In fact, I don't even like to use the phrase "supporting my hobby" because it's her hobby, too. Just a few examples: when we went to Otakon, she out spent me on Gunpla. We had a discussion the other night about painting ideas and techniques we could use to paint her HGUC Kshatriya. She has volunteered to use Gunpla as decorative items throughout our house. We planned a trip to GSAM under the guise of visiting my brother, but she and I both knew the real reason for going was to buy loads of Gunpla. We had to buy 2 RG Freedoms and 2 HGUC clear Banshees because we couldn't decide which one of us got to build each one. Our kitchen table is also our family building table. Oh, and she co-hosts a Gunpla podcast with me. Could it get any better?

thwalker13
August 7, 2012, 7:25 AM
Squeam you are a lucky lucky man. Hold on to that woman and never let go. lol

Gundamswag
August 10, 2012, 3:46 AM
Yesh, do not let her go. lol Or she might steal all your gunpla.

Deathscythe!
August 10, 2012, 5:12 AM
Yesh, do not let her go. lol Or she might steal all your gunpla.

Hahahaha! That's the idea I thought of while I was reading that text as well xD

But seriously, you've experienced so much and you've found the woman you're not supposed to let go ...

but be careful and keep examining your own Gundam collection ... as Gundamswag advised you to do xD

squeam
August 10, 2012, 6:35 AM
I am pretty fortunate to have her. Unfortunately, she knows right where to hit me when things get heated: threaten the Gunpla collection! :)

I do have to be careful, because she will try to claim my kits as her own. In fact, she has swindled the HGUC Sinanju from me, reminding me that I have the MG to build, so 'do I really need a High Grade, too?' The good thing is our Gunpla tastes usually diverge enough for us to want different kits. For example, "for him": Jegan ECOAS, Jesta, Gabthley, Throne Eins, and anything Nemo; "for her": Beargguy, Juaggu, Gaza-C, and anything Qubeley and/or metallic. She loves shiny things! Like a raven, she WILL steal anything that is Extra Finish.

Amuro Ray
August 10, 2012, 12:32 PM
I suppose my wife doesn't really think anything of my Gundam hobby. To her it's just another thing I'm into.

She doesn't dislike it as she's been buying me new kits occasionally for a while now.

She does watch the animes with me though. We watched Turn A together and she loved it, she'd seen Gundam Wing before we were even together and we've been watching Gundam 00 together.

She's not a gigantic fan of it like I am but she does have some interest. She even just said that she might be interested in putting a kit together just so she could paint it as she loves painting miniatures and it sounded like fun. Suggestions?

Joe
August 10, 2012, 2:47 PM
Squeam, I just had my HGUC Sinanju stolen from me as well, with the exact same excuse! Women... :-P

Amuro Ray, I would suggest having her browse around www.Dalong.net to find a design that she likes. Just guide her to something relatively easy. That's how my fiance found the HG Exia Trans-AM that she loves so very much.

GundamDX
October 17, 2012, 10:06 PM
When we started dating I was pleasantly shocked when my missus told me she liked anime . Her ex had been keen on Naruto, Bleach and One Piece and got her into it to. I'd never watched it, so we "swapped" animes and I got into the former 2 and she learnt about my love.

She started off quite intrigued and supportive; accompanied me to an Expo where I bought some kits (mainly 00), she bought me some when she was travelling East and gave some of the animes a go. I have this thing where I would save the prettiest part of my kit and leave it for my girly to build (e.g. Raiser Sword, GN Feather), which always seemed nice.

As time went on, she takes a back seat to my other love to more womanly things. I've tried to get her hooked on my favourite series and ask for her opinion on my kits; I know she's making an effort but ultimately can't be forced to like it. Although stand-off-ish, at least she encourages me to spend money on the things I like and offers to buy it for me, as she thinks I am too frugal at times.

Oh, the "Transformers" and "toys" themes ring true here too.

Focke Wulf
October 23, 2012, 2:22 PM
Not married but I do have a girlfriend and she is kinda annoyedish about my hobby. I have a BUNCH of models not finished up. I have 30 tanks (40k and real tanks), over 200 troops for 40k, 5 airplane models and 6 gundam models. She makes me work on my stuff whenever she comes over if we have the extra time for a little bit while she does stuff (studying mostly). Am I mad or annoyed at her for doing this? Nope. She is pushing me to do this. She just found my Wing Zero Custom in my stack the other day and she is begging me to work on that because 'it's pretty'. Whenever I am running low on something paint wise, she sometimes buys me a pot of paint even though I ask her not to because I feel bad. But she says she wants to because I do stuff for her a lot. Like cooking for us.

Outside of modeling, I haven't really done that much with her. There is a Japanese store on campus where I am going to college and I took her in there a few times. For one of our 'movie nights', she picked to watch Sailor Moon and I picked to watch the Endless Waltz.

Suzaku
October 23, 2012, 4:04 PM
My fiancee is completely supportive. She just is overwhelmed by my backlog :P She sees that it is something that I enjoy, and she appears to usually like seeing the results.

She has no interest in the anime, and I haven't been able to convince her to try building a kit yet, but maybe one day :P

Deathscythe!
October 23, 2012, 4:52 PM
My sister's recently told me to smack any girlfriend daring to damage my gundams intentionally.
I do not have any important other btw. - I might be able to enter a relationship, but I am not inclined to do so.

thwalker13
October 23, 2012, 6:59 PM
I'm starting to think that my wife thinks that my Gunpla hobby is a waste of money. She makes random comments that makes it seem that she is starting to disprove of my increasing desire to learn more about this hobby and delve even deeper into my creative imagination.

jayhat100
October 23, 2012, 8:40 PM
My wife is way to understanding, i only have a few gundams but i have a whole room of sideshow toys, transformers and toystory stuff, and to let me support this habbit could have bought a trip around the world by now. She will get on me about the gundams because i do tend to obsess about it, but i just remind her it was her father that bought me my first one. Needless to say my birthdays and christmas's are a young boys dream and i would be pissed if she bought me socks.

Joe
October 24, 2012, 1:30 AM
My fiance recently finished a MG Deathscythe Hell EW. She painted most of it in a similar color to the plastic but in a titanium/metallic finish. The inside of the cape she lightly dusted with a metallic red, so when it's closed it's still black but then when it opens it's really cool looking. It was her (very) early birthday gift from me.

uncleremuslegend
October 25, 2012, 11:37 AM
my wife supports everything that i do. the way it should be :)
she knows what suits i like, and will pick them out/up for me if i am not able to get to the store before closing time, or she will send me pictures on the phone asking which one i don't have or which one i want. she has been very supportive since day one of our relationship, 12-13 years ago. She knows they are not a waste of money, and loves that i take time with my boys, 6 and 7 respectively, to show them and explain what i am doing when i am working. If i make a step that is pretty big towards completion of a build she always comments on the work, and makes a big deal for the kids to see what i have done. regardless if my work is good, crappy, or i am just not generally happy with it, she will make suggestions and/or say lets go get you what you need to finish it up/fix the issue. The only thing that she doesn't like is when i stay up late and only leave 2-3hours of sleep before work, but that's not out of line, i hate that as well

Dlinker
October 25, 2012, 3:02 PM
My girlfriend used to watch those old-school 80's Japanese robot shows when she was a kid so she's already familiar with robots in general. She's been expressing interest with wanting to build one herself, but never has the time for it. She likes the aesthetics as well and already has a preference for designs from the UC era (mostly because they have more traditional designs and colors, according to her). She encourages me when I'm working on a kit and always enjoys seeing the finished work, although sometimes she gets mad at me for spending too much time working on them (and sometimes ignoring her in the process).

It's a legit reason; I do think I need to take more time on a kit in general because I always feel like it's a race against time, which it shouldn't be. I tell her often that I feel like I'm spending too much money on the hobby, what with the recent airbrush stuff and expensive paintbrushes. Her response: If it makes you happy and you can afford it and you're not strapped for cash, don't feel bad spending it.

Yeah, she's perfectly fine with the hobby :)