PDA

View Full Version : Painting questions

batfink21
June 30, 2012, 3:56 AM
Hi,

I'm new to the forum (and new to this hobby too). So far I've built just three Gundam models and I'm in the process of painting the first one.

I'm using an airbrush with Tamiya enamels over a Mr. Surfacer 1200 primer layer. So far I've primed the two legs of my Astray Red Frame.

My question is about how much people break down their models when they paint. I've noticed that some of the Pro painters on YouTube leave whole sections of the frame intact when they prime and paint rather than break them down into their smaller components. For instance, I noticed one painting a forearm frame with the hand and fingers still attached.

This seems like it could speed up the process considerably, but I'm concerned that when the paint drys/cures, I'll be unable to move the joints to pose the model. Or if I can move the joints, I'll uncover parts of the model which weren't exposed when I sprayed the model.

I imagine the solution is to make sure the parts are painted in the position you want the model to remain for the rest of its life but this seems limiting.

What does everyone here do?

Joe
June 30, 2012, 12:26 PM
You let the frame dry, bend the joints exposing more bare plastic and spray (in short quick bursts) the newly exposed areas. Let that dry and bend everything a different way, etc... until everything is covered. I don't prime, but that's how I topcoat everything anyway.