PDA

View Full Version : Asterisk's WIPs

Asterisk
June 26, 2012, 9:01 AM
Started work on a MG Wing Gundam EW a few days ago. Here's what I've got so far.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v291/Avyrex/WingEW1.jpg

thwalker13
June 26, 2012, 9:04 AM
Wow man. That is looking pretty cool so far.

Squee
June 26, 2012, 11:43 AM
Wow, i really like that color scheme. The muted white and grey go together really well with the red colors.

SilverFrameAstray
June 29, 2012, 6:30 PM
I agree, that color scheme is gorgeous. I love the ear bits.

MiyoMiyoChan
July 15, 2012, 4:17 PM
Wow, that looks finished already! :)

batfink21
July 16, 2012, 3:28 AM
Looking nice! Look forward to seeing this built. Agree about that colour scheme, very hot!

Asterisk
December 5, 2012, 5:17 PM
It's been a while since I've posted anything, so here's what I'm working on right now.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v291/Avyrex/SAM_0003-4.jpg

Dlinker
December 5, 2012, 7:03 PM
Looks clean and spiffy. Painted already?

jayhat100
December 5, 2012, 9:39 PM
beautiful job man, do you mind if i ask what you did for the blue is a single color or did you mix it?

Asterisk
December 6, 2012, 12:38 AM
Games Workshop Regal Blue with a touch of black added

ChapelMkII
December 6, 2012, 10:09 AM
I'm digging these color schemes. Are you going to be doing all of Operation Meteor crew like this?

Asterisk
December 6, 2012, 4:49 PM
In colors different from their normal schemes, yeah. Probably the Tallgeese as well, but I've no idea what to do with it yet.

Asterisk
April 19, 2013, 3:54 PM
Here's a thing I did yesterday. These heat hawks don't normally accommodate the large blade on the double headed configuration. I looked upon it and said "No, this shall not do."
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v291/Avyrex/GMPoweredAxes_zpse3576098.jpg

Technically, the GM is a WIP too. I'm not finished painting the hands.

Dlinker
April 19, 2013, 4:03 PM
Hmmm, so that's how the heat hawk looks like with with both heads on. I should try it out on the weapons sets I have yet to open.

Is that a little bit of paint bleeding through on the bright tan section on the shoulders?

Overall, I love the smooth finish. Seeing it makes me want to hand paint badly.

Asterisk
April 19, 2013, 10:38 PM
If you're talking about the reddish places, that's deliberate. I'm probably going to add a bit more red detail here and there to tie it together.

Dlinker
April 19, 2013, 11:53 PM
My mistake, I was actually referring to the upper bright tan sections on the torso (what the heck was I thinking, referring to the shoulders).

I can see a bit of that bright tan at the bottom edges bleeding into the dark brown.

Asterisk
April 20, 2013, 3:25 PM
Oooooh, that. Yeah, I hadn't even noticed until I was resizing that picture. I'll have that taken care of, I assure you.

Squee
April 20, 2013, 6:33 PM
really cool mods on the heat hawks! The cables look a bit weird though but still work. Color scheme kind of reminds me of one of the maganac corps.

SilverFrameAstray
April 20, 2013, 9:45 PM
I love that color a scheme. And it makes sense on the heat hawks. Where else would they go?

Asterisk
April 20, 2013, 10:41 PM
I actually didn't do anything to the cables, just the large blades. The double-headed mode originally only used two smaller blades.

Asterisk
May 22, 2013, 8:08 AM
Well, I finally went and did it, folks; I burned myself out on painting. I'll be taking a break for a while, but I'm not forsaking the hobby indefinitely.

thwalker13
May 22, 2013, 8:13 AM
I feel ya man. I'm rather burnt out right now as well. Only thing keeping me motivated is my Stein project waiting to be started. I'm looking forward to doing a ton of out of box builds. lol

Asterisk
May 22, 2013, 9:00 AM
To be fair, part of it is how little space I have right now. I'm moving next weekend, and I THINK I'll have the space to set up a spray booth for my currently unused airbrush, somewhere for a light box, or at least somewhere better to take pictures than my desk.

Regardless, I expect I'll jump in deeper once I'm done taking a break. Last time this happened, I came back and did my green Sinanju.

thwalker13
May 22, 2013, 9:25 AM
Sweet man. I know how moving is. It's a pain. I hope it goes well. I'm limited on space as well. I'd like to get some shelving up so that I can get all my kits off these glass tables. So I can use those to put all my parts on. But the room I'm using to work on things is basically a storage room at the moment. lol But if you're last break produced that green Sinanju, I can't wait to see what you'll pull off after this one.

Asterisk
July 18, 2013, 10:13 AM
Well, the airbrush plans fell through. Apparently, we needed the space I wanted to set up a hobby station for a washer and dryer. Priorities won that one, I'm afraid.

Until I get something else figured out, I started work on a Shaldoll Rogue I bought earlier this year. I have a second Rogue, a G-Exes Jackedge and G-Xiphos I plan to occupy a shelf with, so here's that first step.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v291/Avyrex/RogueHead_zpsc5e97858.jpg

Dlinker
July 18, 2013, 10:41 AM
So back to handpainting again? Looks really nice, though. Smooth paint and I don't see any noticeable flaws. I've been wanting to buy another AGE HG kit, but I have a hard time picking one out since many are so good.

thwalker13
July 18, 2013, 12:30 PM
Looks great to me. I love the color choice for the camera lens.

Asterisk
July 18, 2013, 12:48 PM
I decided 'why pick one?' and just basically bought most of the grunt suits.

Squee
July 18, 2013, 1:05 PM
That looks great! Really want to pick one of these up one day, but i fear i might want all of the pirates!

Asterisk
July 18, 2013, 2:04 PM
Ha! That's exactly what I did. I started on the Age-2 Dark Hound some time back, but I haven't been able to get a hold of the same black paint I started with, so it's been put on hold.

Asterisk
July 27, 2013, 11:51 AM
Moving along to the Jackedge, now.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v291/Avyrex/Jackedge_zpsa2e09954.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/Avyrex/media/Jackedge_zpsa2e09954.jpg.html)

Dlinker
July 27, 2013, 1:15 PM
Loving that color scheme. It completes the skeletal look.

What's happening on that one edge, though? Looks kinda scratched up a bit.

thwalker13
July 27, 2013, 1:20 PM
I was thinking the same thing. Looks like a really rough area on the left side. Looks great though, that skull look really looks awesome.

Asterisk
July 27, 2013, 1:28 PM
You know, I don't have the slightest clue about that. I didn't notice it until I took that picture, though. It's been taken care of.

Asterisk
August 30, 2014, 3:24 AM
Quick pic of my progress. Poor lighting right now, so quality is kind of lacking, but you get the idea.
This is going along much easier than I expected, though the tricky stuff is still to come.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v291/Avyrex/RGAmazingwip1_zpsb3c50d2e.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/Avyrex/media/RGAmazingwip1_zpsb3c50d2e.jpg.html)

Kenico
August 30, 2014, 3:26 AM
WOW! Asterisk returns from the Grave! Welcome back man! and youre doing a project on the Exia Amazing?! Oh man i cant wait to see the final product! lol

Asterisk
August 30, 2014, 3:40 AM
Oh, yeah man. I posted in the Latest Kit Acquisitions thread that I'm kitbashing a RG Amazing Exia.

Kenico
August 30, 2014, 3:51 AM
0_0...wow have i not been paying attention lol Still the Amazing Exia is one of my faves aside from the Build Strike and Fenice Gundams, so i look forward to what you do with this one lol.

Zaku
August 30, 2014, 7:38 AM
Wow back from the dead. Or 4chan. Bout the same lol. Lookin good man.

thwalker13
August 30, 2014, 10:06 AM
Great progress so far man. Will you be doing any painting on this Amazing project?

Yes pun intended.

Asterisk
August 30, 2014, 11:28 AM
Absolutely. Fairly standard RG dual-tone colors.

Dlinker
August 30, 2014, 1:37 PM
Oh wow, it's like Bandai had this kind of kit-bash in mind when they made the RG Exia and the Amazing Exia. The parts look to be in perfect proportion.

Asterisk
August 30, 2014, 2:28 PM
Not so much on the v-fin. I had to do some reshaping. Everything else only took some minor work to get the rest to fit.

Asterisk
September 12, 2014, 3:08 AM
Ran into a brick wall with the RG Amazing Exia's knees. Got overly frustrated with it for the time being, so I put it on the back burner. In the meantime, I started working on a Build Fighters inspired GM Type C.

I'm pretty sure the pack's as done as it's going to get, but I still want to do some stuff with the body, and I'm not 100% sure what yet.
No idea on a color scheme yet either.

(I normally don't use the board's image manager, but Photobucket's down for maintenance. =/)

thwalker13
September 12, 2014, 8:08 AM
Sucks to hear about the issue with the knees. I'm sure you'll get it figured out once you tackle it again with a more clear head. The GM Type C is looking good though. I like the custom backpack.

Dlinker
September 12, 2014, 10:58 AM
That backpack is genius. Nice to see someone using those Koto grenade launchers, too.

Asterisk
September 12, 2014, 12:05 PM
They're Bandai Builder Parts. The only non-Bandai stuff there is the antenna and the rifle's a bootleg of the HG Customize set that Bandai was doing earlier this year.

I do have quite a few Koto weapons, though. I can never figure out what to put them on, though.

Dlinker
September 12, 2014, 1:09 PM
Oh, were they? From the angle in the pics, they resemble the Koto versions. I should grab me the latest of the Builder Parts. I'm still sitting on several boxes of the first two or three sets, unused.

Asterisk
January 1, 2015, 4:02 PM
I turned my GM project into a pseudo-Cardigan. Added some HG Alex parts, reinforced the cockpit area. I think I'm ready to move on to painting, but I'm sure I'll think of something I want to do with it once it's too late.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v291/Avyrex/GMWIP_zpse224690b.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/Avyrex/media/GMWIP_zpse224690b.jpg.html)

thwalker13
January 1, 2015, 5:19 PM
The added armor and Alex parts look really good man. Have an idea on the color scheme for it?

Sinervale
January 1, 2015, 6:31 PM
Woo a GM!....I like what you've done with it and it's giving me ideas for my own when I get started on that. Really nice work.

Asterisk
January 2, 2015, 12:59 AM
Colorwise, I'm thinking that white and purple scheme I used on a couple other GMs. Add it to the unit, so to speak.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v291/Avyrex/GMStrikerCannon_zpsf75a72fd.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/Avyrex/media/GMStrikerCannon_zpsf75a72fd.jpg.html)

Asterisk
January 4, 2015, 1:08 AM
Here's something else I had been working on for a bit.
Once I found out about the Sleeves Dra-C kit some ways back, I wanted to do a Sleeves Zaku II F2. Took me a while to finally get a hold of what I needed for it, but it's about where I want it.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v291/Avyrex/SleevesZakuIIF2_zps17292a04.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/Avyrex/media/SleevesZakuIIF2_zps17292a04.jpg.html)

Zaku
January 4, 2015, 1:21 AM
looks like its coming along nicely. and is that an LED mono eye i see?

Asterisk
January 4, 2015, 1:43 AM
Nah. Just an aurora lens. I've had a couple of sheets of them for a while now. Starting to run out, unfortunately.

Zaku
January 4, 2015, 4:46 AM
oh and here i had my hopes up.

Asterisk
January 6, 2015, 7:35 PM
Yeah...I don't really have LEDs in mind for anything apart from one project that has been on the back burner for a couple of years. I'm always impressed when someone does a really nice job of LED integration, but it's not something I usually think of for my own stuff.

That, and I never understood why Zaku monoeyes light up if they're supposed to be cameras.

Zaku
January 6, 2015, 8:22 PM
yea LEDs are a lot of commitment to a kit. and mono eyes utilize LIDAR. i think thats why they flash.

gundammonkey
January 7, 2015, 12:53 AM
Asterisk: That is a fair question, why do the moon eyes light up if they are cameras? I shall attempt to answer your inquiry. The little known fact about Zakus, they have light up moon eyes the same way that the angler fish had a glowing appendage. To lure the fumbling yet curious Feddie in nice and close so that the Zaku can use his Heat Hawk and cut it up into little tiny bite size pieces. Also as and added bonus it just looks really freekin' cool. :)

Zaku
January 7, 2015, 1:35 AM
Hahaha damn right. Chop chop chop.

Asterisk
July 28, 2015, 1:07 AM
Working on a thing, still need to do the partisans, then hit everything with flat coat. No clear pieces right now due to that fact.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v291/Avyrex/Transientwip1_zps1i4sxq86.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/Avyrex/media/Transientwip1_zps1i4sxq86.jpg.html)

thwalker13
July 28, 2015, 7:22 AM
I'm liking it man, the addition of the blue is a nice touch. Did you recolor the clear parts any?

Zaku
July 28, 2015, 11:41 AM
That looks pretty sweet.

Asterisk
July 28, 2015, 2:08 PM
Nah, I left the clear parts alone. The lighter blue contrasts really nicely with the darker blue.

Zaku
August 29, 2015, 5:34 AM
Working on a thing, still need to do the partisans, then hit everything with flat coat. No clear pieces right now due to that fact.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v291/Avyrex/Transientwip1_zps1i4sxq86.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/Avyrex/media/Transientwip1_zps1i4sxq86.jpg.html)

it really has a super hero vibe to it. its even heroically staring off into the distance.

Asterisk
August 29, 2015, 5:43 AM
I actually finished this last week. I've been meaning to get pictures of it, but I'm wanting to step up my gunpla photography game (which is pathetically weak) and need to get a bulb for my secondary light source.

Zaku
August 29, 2015, 5:51 AM
Oh sweet. Im sure he is happy to have hands and weapons now. Makes fighting crime much easier lol. And I cant say crap about being a bad photographer. Lol

Asterisk
September 3, 2015, 12:23 AM
So, I'm going to attempt to actually update things AS I work, as opposed to posting an idea concept, then a nearly complete kit.

I've been working on this Zaku I Thunderbolt version for a while. No real mods, seam removal, filled the stupid gaps on the soles of the feet. I DID replace the static manipulator arm on the backpack with one from the Build Fighters' Skull Weapon set, and the vernier cylinders with the gattlings from the HGBF Powered Arms Powereder (such a stupid name) set.

Today, however, I'm starting something a tad more ambitious than I've done before. I'm attempting to put something resembling a MG styled mono-eye in it.

Not much to speak of yet; I've gutted the head, and cut a couple of styrene plates into what will be the top and bottom of the assembly.

Zaku
September 3, 2015, 12:27 AM
ooh very interesting. and glad to hear you plan to keep us up to date.

thwalker13
September 3, 2015, 7:32 AM
Very nice Asterisk. I did a very similar mod to the Kampfer Amazing I did for the Group Build. Only down side was mine can't move. I'm interested to see what you come up with.

Asterisk
September 3, 2015, 7:40 AM
I'm interested in seeing what I come up with too, because this ENTIRE NIGHT has been a frustrating series of failures and wasted materials.

thwalker13
September 3, 2015, 1:14 PM
Hmm, how is the normal Mono-Eye supposed to work? I'll look up the instructions for the Zaku Thunderbolt and see if I can think of something to help.

Edit: Ok, looked the manual. It looks a lot more will have to go into this than what I did with my Kampfer. But, I did think of something.

You could use something like those pieces of pla-plate you have in your photo, and a "T" shaped piece of sprue. glue one side of the plate to the bottom half of the head, and drill a hole through it where the neck is located. Now, what you can do is create a housing around that plate for support and to kinda fill in the head a bit. Take the "T" shaped sprue and place it into the hole you drilled with one end poking towards the nose, that will be your eye. Then, take the other piece of plating, and drill the same hole in it and close up your assembly. That will not only fill in the head, but allow your new Mono-Eye to move side to side.

I know this is probably clear as mud, but it was my 1st thought. I can try to draw something up if I need to.

Asterisk
September 3, 2015, 5:01 PM
I have an idea I think will work, but I was starting to get drowsy before I got much further than cutting out the most basic, beginning parts.

Asterisk
September 4, 2015, 3:28 AM
So, I think I've got this figured out, now.
I had to gut the bottom half of the head more, then made a thicker frame base for the monoeye housing.

Everything fits nicely, I just still need to made the camera, mount it to the axle, then go about adding some greebles, so the housing isn't so bland.

Zaku
September 4, 2015, 5:25 AM
it may be just the picture but your parts you made look very very clean. like they were made in a factory or something. i was expecting file marks and saw marks and fuzz but nope. lol. but anyways looks damn good. maybe you could get a piece of brass rod thats the right size and make the mono eye itself out of that. and if you are already doing this much work on the head you might as well slap a LED or SMD in there. it seems like you could drill up from the bottom in the part that pivots then horizontally into it where the eye would go and run wire easy. after its all seam welded are you just going to move the eye with a tooth pick or something? or are you going to try and do a gear system like the MG 2.0? if you had a system to get everything centered on its axis's a gear system would not be that hard to do.

Asterisk
September 4, 2015, 5:38 AM
Oh, it's not getting seam welded. The seam is also a panel line, so I can take the top of the head off as needed. That pin through the top of the axle plays double duty to keeping it at the right depth, and giving me something to turn the eye with.

I'm currently trying to decide whether to make a camera housing out of a styrene tube, or use a builder parts eye.

Zaku
September 4, 2015, 5:53 AM
ah ok gotcha. and what does the builders parts eye look like? i tried google but all i got were the weapons sets.

thwalker13
September 4, 2015, 7:29 AM
Yeah looks like you got it figured out. Pretty close to what I was thinking from the looks of it. Very nice work man!

Asterisk
September 6, 2015, 6:24 AM
>mfw I fabricate a frame with movable monoeye for a HG Zaku, and all my wife has to say is "That's nice."
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v291/Avyrex/1316650001572_zpsjq1j1wwn.png (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/Avyrex/media/1316650001572_zpsjq1j1wwn.png.html)

Pics later, bed now.

thwalker13
September 6, 2015, 11:36 AM
Yup. That's how my ex was. I presented probably the best painted build I ever did. All I get is a "looks good"

Squee
September 6, 2015, 1:01 PM
That is some lovely scratchbuilding! I wish i could do it that cleanly!

Asterisk
September 9, 2015, 3:09 AM
Did some stuff last night, a bit today.

I got the frame finished, thickened the axle by slipping a sleeve over it. Did a CRAP TON of sanding to make everything fit nicely. Lastly, cut a bit of clear plastic from an old bubble package, made a 'window'.

thwalker13
September 9, 2015, 8:47 AM
Man, that looks absolutely amazing dude!

Zaku
September 9, 2015, 9:29 AM
looking good man.

Asterisk
October 26, 2015, 4:42 AM
After a lengthy break, I've primed everything, and started painting. I have more than this done, but not enough to put together. Lookin' good, I think.

I'm doing a mix of painting types for this, though. I airbrushed the primer on, and I'm hand painting the colors. Sounds crazy, but my free time here lately has been coming in small chunks, so I've found it easier to paint at my desk, a few parts at a time, than to set up, paint a batch, clean up and break everything down again. I foresee this being common until I move somewhere with space enough for a more permanent setup.

Zaku
October 26, 2015, 8:38 AM
ayyy long time no see. that brother Zaku looks damn good with some paint on him.

thwalker13
October 26, 2015, 8:49 AM
I love the shades of purple man. And that Mono-eye looks wicked.

Asterisk
October 28, 2015, 7:11 PM
Chuggin' along. I don't know if I'm alone in this, but manipulator detail has been one of my favorite parts of painting a kit.

Zaku
October 28, 2015, 7:22 PM
the purple on the knuckles looks very well taped off. the paint ends right where its supposed to end. sharp.

Asterisk
October 28, 2015, 7:25 PM
Taped or tapered? I hand painted that, no making tape.

Zaku
October 28, 2015, 7:38 PM
oh. well even better. getting clean edges ending right where you want them to is not as easy as it looks. nice work on that. and i cant get enough or that mono eye. man that looks good.

gundammonkey
October 28, 2015, 11:56 PM
Your build looks really cool I like the colors you have picked for your Zaku. Speaking of Zakus, Hay Zaku your IM box is full so I can't get a hold of you.

Zaku
October 29, 2015, 12:03 AM
dang i just emptied it. and did you get a look at the mono eye he made? its very clean scratch building.

gundammonkey
October 29, 2015, 5:45 PM
Ya that mono eye is sweeeeeet! my WIP has been updated BTW.

Asterisk
November 5, 2015, 3:33 AM
I've made a bit of progress. It's been a bit slow going because of this flu I've had, but it's getting there.

Zaku
November 5, 2015, 3:37 AM
damn thats nice. really nice.

thwalker13
November 5, 2015, 8:44 AM
That is some really nice looking progress man. I love the caution stripes on the skirts.