PDA

View Full Version : Seam line Techniques?

Ultra
June 25, 2012, 1:05 PM
Can anyone give me any info on these since there doesn't seem to be a thread on it. I know vaguely that you can either glue it and then use putty then sand and paint. And also about stuff that joins the the pieces together(can't remember what it's called atm). Anyway more detailed info on them would be great and it would be cool to here what you more experienced guys do.

Asterisk
June 25, 2012, 1:41 PM
Glue AND putty are not necessarily required together. You can glue a seam, squeeze the parts together so that some of the glue oozes out, then sand when it dries. There are also several kinds of plastic welding products. the one I used most frequently was called Plastruct Plastic Weld. It was a nice product, but stunk horribly while wet.

Ultra
June 25, 2012, 1:43 PM
I remembered stuff I was talking about. Its Tamiya Extra Thin Cement. Can putty be used just on it's own and then sanded and painted? Also is there any preparation required after the putty has dried before you paint?

Joe
June 25, 2012, 8:52 PM
If you use Tamiya Basic Gray putty you can use it on it's own as it work similar to modeling cement. Modeling cement has chemical in it that melt plastic so that when you squeeze the pieces together their melted edges mesh together and when the glue dries and evaporates off, the plastic re-solidifies bond two part into one. Super glue just bond the parts with a strong bond.

Ultra
June 26, 2012, 2:11 AM
That's awesome news since there's a hobby shop right down my street with Tamiya modeling stuff. Hopefully they'll have that.