PDA

View Full Version : Gundam Wing Revival Project Group Build

Joe
June 18, 2012, 3:39 PM
Here's the Facebook Event Page (https://www.facebook.com/events/352134624860367/) for our Group Build! This is mostly for the judges, but I wanted to open this up for anyone who wanted to build anything Gundam Wing related and use option parts, LED's, resin, and anything else not allowed in the competitions. The only rule is that the subject matter of the build must be related to the Gundam Wing universe.

The Group Build is open ended, so join the fun whenever!

Have fun! I'm about to start on my kits tomorrow!

Joe
June 21, 2012, 12:15 PM
For the Gundam Wing Revival Project's Group Build, I have acquired a ridiculous amount of kits I'm building to re-kindle my love of Gundam Wing. At first the project was just going to be something I did for me on my blog. Then it was brought up that a group build would be fun. Then my fiance told me I should do a competition of some kind. It all sort of snowballed from my original concept. I just wanted to build all the old Wing kits again and make them look good.

I'm currently working on the 1/144 Deathscythe Hell, Altron, Wing Zero, and Epyon. After that I've got 6 MG's: EW Wing, Deathscythe, Heavy Arms, Sandrock, Shenlong, and Epyon. I've got 1 each of the 1/144 EW HG kits plus a second Serpent Custom, and two more 1/144 Tallgeese III kits that I will be manipulating into Tallgeese I and II. A total of 20 kits, plus open ended plans for 1/144 Veyate and Mercurius and (since my fiance is all of a sudden obsessed with the series and wants in on the fun too) I might be going ahead and purchasing all of the 1/100 scale models from Wing and EW and building them again as well with her. Fun times for me! It's like if it were 2000-2001 all over again, but I have modeling skills :-P.

Exia
June 21, 2012, 8:28 PM
Good luck with the Deathscythe Hell! That shield has like 7 stickers!

Joe
June 21, 2012, 8:32 PM
Oh, I know, I've built it twice before. And I'll be painting those parts anyway. I try to not use foil stickers anymore... except under GN condenser domes for 00 kits.

Exia
June 21, 2012, 8:43 PM
Oh, I know, I've built it twice before. And I'll be painting those parts anyway. I try to not use foil stickers anymore... except under GN condenser domes for 00 kits.

I am very proud of the fact that on mine the stickers are all straight. Doing stickers on the old Wing kits are hard.

Joe
June 21, 2012, 8:57 PM
I can definitely attest to that. I just got fed up with stickers long ago and haven't used them in ten years, that is until MG Exia...

Joe
June 26, 2012, 12:19 AM
So, I am currently taking a break from the four 1/144 kits in progress. They are all cemented as of Saturday, next will be the part I dread most: sanding. I don't like sanding, but you pretty much have to do it to remove seam lines. Also on these kits, I'll be using the no-paint method (http://www.dannychoo.com/post/en/585/Gundam.html) for the main colors, which means basically sanding everything to get rid of the plastic look. Then i'll paint the details (no foil stickers here). But before I tackle that I just couldn't wait to get started on these:

These will be my first ever fully painted MG kits, in fact they will be my first ever 1/100 scale fully painted kits. I'm very eager to get moving on these. I have started on Wing Gundam EW; all parts are clipped, still trimming nubs. I need to pick up a couple more shades of gray and possibly a lighter blue as the blue I have (the cap anyway) matches the blue box on the Shenlong's color guide nearly perfectly but it's a touch darker than the Wing Gundam's. Rustoleum had a blue (cap color) that matched but I was worried I was going over my budget and didn't get it. My local Wal-Marts have all stopped carrying a ton of colors too, I was hoping to get Pewter Gray and another one but all they had was Primer Gray.

Ultra
June 26, 2012, 2:42 AM
Nice! Looking forward to the results. I think you should have bought a 1/100 HG Tallgeese III so you could make a Tallgeese I though. I'm planning on getting either a 1/144 Wing Zero or a 1/100 HG soon since I love the Wing Zero but the version from the show isn't in Master grade. Sigh one day hopefully they'll release the Tallgeese and Wing Zero in MG.

Joe
June 26, 2012, 2:00 PM
I already have a 1/100 Tallgeese I, actually. I do want to at some point get a few more 1/100 Tallgeese III kits and remake the whole bunch, but I'm kinda holding out for a Master Grade release *crosses fingers*.

Ultra
June 26, 2012, 3:27 PM
I would have much more preferred a MG Tallgeese 1 than the MG Epyon they released recently. It makes more sense anyway since Tallgeese was around longer than the Epyon and earlier too. Or they could have done the same kind of thing as with the HG 1/100.

Joe
June 26, 2012, 3:52 PM
Well, Epyon is featured in the new novel Frozen Tear Drop and Tallgeese isn't, so Epyon was already being marketed in Japan through that literature. MG Tallgeese will come, more than likely before the end of 2013. I have no doubt that it will be made, it's just a matter of when.

Ultra
June 26, 2012, 6:05 PM
Ah yes you're right. Has anyone ever repainted their Epyon to make it look like the Epyon White used by Wufei?

Joe
June 26, 2012, 7:01 PM
Not that I've seen, but then again, I haven't looked :-P.

Joe
July 1, 2012, 11:32 PM

So for my first ever total paint job on a Master Grade and for the group build, I'm working on the MG Wing Gundam EW. I am changing up the yellow to a bit of a paler yellow and the blue I ended up using isn't the Krylon pictured here but a Rustoleum that I found at Walmart that I felt matched the blue plastic a little better. I had given some serious thought to painting the blue in a dark blue like the TV version, but opted for the lighter blue that is used for the EW version.

Everything but the gray for the inner frame and the white it painted so far. Pics when the painting is done.

thwalker13
July 2, 2012, 7:08 AM
Awesome. I can't wait to see it. I do hope you're right about the Tallgeese. And I hope they release a MG 2.0 of Wing Zero Custom EW version.

Ultra
July 2, 2012, 8:15 AM
Who cares about the EW version. We still haven't gotten an MG of the version from the show!

thwalker13
July 2, 2012, 8:28 AM
Lol yeah that is rather surprising. Though I'm fairly certain that it'll be released at some point in time.

Joe
July 7, 2012, 8:06 PM
All of the spray painting is done for MG Wing Gundam EW. It's been humid all week, so I'm giving the paint a few more days to completely dry. In the mean time, I've got all of MG Deathscythe's parts cut from the runners and trimmed of nubs. The red, yellow, and dark blue/black colors are ready to be painted but I'm waiting until the weather comes down below 90 degrees next week. I SHOULD be sanding the 1/144 kits and getting those all ready for painting.

Joe
July 11, 2012, 2:30 AM

Some of the painting I've done for the Wing Gundam

Joe
July 11, 2012, 2:35 AM

And the mods I made to the hand and the rifle's handle!

Everything is ready for markings, then panel lines, then a top coat and I will have completed 1 out of however many kits I said I have for the Gundam Wing Revival Project Group Build!

thwalker13
July 11, 2012, 7:27 AM
The MG Wing Gundam is relatively new isn't it? I figured it would have already of had the pegs for weapons. None the less, that inner frame looks awesome man.

Joe
July 11, 2012, 11:56 AM
The MG Wing EW is just a recolored release of the MG Wing Ver Ka which was made in 2004 before hand pegs were introduced as the norm. The hand mod was surprisingly easy to do, the only tricky part was getting the right sized drill bit and lining everything up.

thwalker13
July 11, 2012, 12:19 PM
Hmm, sweet. If they don't make a Wing Zero Custom (EW) 2.0 then I'll have to do that when I pick it up. Cause it not holding it's twin buster cannons is a major negative for me.

jaqio
July 11, 2012, 11:09 PM
Amazing work With the figures Joe. I'm liking all that your posting but wow, you've got warhammer like skills with the Heero yuy figures.

Joe
July 11, 2012, 11:31 PM
I'm just glad that little guy doesn't have a really detailed face. If that little guy had eyes I probably would have left them flesh toned and said he had his eyes closed :-P.

Ultra
July 12, 2012, 3:32 AM
How is the katoki version compared to the normal one? I've built the normal one (badly but still).

shirayuki
July 12, 2012, 11:52 AM
I guess I'll contribute to this, I'll build most 1/144 NGs and EW kits. As of now I have Deathscythe EW Nataku, and serpent custom for EW and epyon (sorry for spelling if wrong). I won't start building until August since I'm on vacation. I'll try to hunt down the rest of the 1/144s

Joe
July 12, 2012, 1:34 PM
Shirrayuki, why not go for one of the competitions for the Gundam Wing Revival Project? Winners get can get gift certificates to some awesome Gunpla stores.

The TV version of the MG Wing Gundam has more inner detail and articulation. I find that the Katoki version (or the EW version, same thing) is a really good build and I don't know why but a more enjoyable build than the TV Wing Gundam. This is my second time building the Ver Ka/EW though, so maybe it's just that I already know what to expect and I'm taking my time with it and putting a little extra effort into it.

thwalker13
July 12, 2012, 2:13 PM
When it comes to Wing kits. I'm holding out for MGs of the EW OVA versions. Those are my favorites. I already have Epyon. Planning on getting a 2nd to paint up and detail. But one day I'll have all 5 main Gundams in MG form. And hopefully a Wing Zero Custom EW OVA 2.0.

Joe I'm still waiting for some more teaser pics of all these Wing kits you're working on.

Joe
July 12, 2012, 7:16 PM

Deathscythe is also in progress right now; all parts are cleaned up, just waiting for slightly cooler weather to start on his painting.

Wing Gundam is disassembled and I'm working on the markings. I ran into a little problem with the blue paint though. I taped down a dry transfer to keep it stead and when I peeled it away it took some of the paint with it. Not sure if I'm going to re-paint it or hope the topcoat blends it in... I did a couple more on the blue without tape, just held it as best I could with my finger and went over it lightly and it turned out just fine, we shall see how the rest goes.

thwalker13
July 12, 2012, 7:35 PM
I had the same problem with my Banshee's shield. But the tape left residue.

Joe
July 12, 2012, 8:33 PM
See the residue (depending on the paint) you can get off with lighter fluid or alcohol. I've got to take the entire torso apart and somehow mask off the decals/transfers I've already done on that part without the paint coming off again if I want to re-paint it. Oh well, lesson learned. The blue I used is Rustolium (sp?) the rest is Krylon. No problems with the Krylon (so far).

thwalker13
July 13, 2012, 7:20 AM
Might be the paint then. That's one thing I'm worried about with trying to paint this action base that I got. I'll have to do a ton of masking and I'm afraid of it bringing the paint off with it. But, there is really no other way of getting all the detail in without masking so I'll just have to suck it up and do it. Sigh...

Joe
July 13, 2012, 11:19 AM
Well, I was using clear scotch tape for my dry transfers, masking tape is a lot less sticky, you shouldn't (crosses fingers, knocks on wood) have issues with paint removal. As for the residue, using the paint you'll be using for the action base, paint up a couple of bits of runner and let them cure for a couple days. After they are completely cured, take a cotton swab with rubbing alcohol and another with lighter fluid (I use Ronsonol) and gently rub at the paint. The one that takes the paint off the least will be the one you want to carefully clean off tape residue with.

If it's acrylic, the lighter fluid shouldn't mess with the paint too much. If it's enamel, the alcohol shouldn't even phase it.

Ultra
July 13, 2012, 12:38 PM
Maybe i'm missing something but Wing Gundam was never even in Endless Waltz so how can it be called EW then? Or is that version from the manga or something?

thwalker13
July 13, 2012, 1:32 PM
Thanks for the tip Joe.

Ultra, I was talking about the Wing Zero Custom from Endless Waltz. And Joe was talking about the Version Kai Wing Zero.

Joe
July 13, 2012, 2:33 PM
Nope, I was talking about the Wing Gundam EW version or Wing Gundam Ver. Ka. Same design, two names. A version "kai" implies a refit or upgraded version, like GM Kai, or Sandrock Kai (Refit/upgraded for space use). Ver Ka mean Version Katoki as in Hajimi Katoki redesigned or originally designed the kit or MS.

Ultra, the Wing Gundam EW along with Deathscythe EW, Heavy Arms EW, Sandrock EW, Shenlong EW, and Epyon EW refer to the MG releases of the designs as see in the new manga adaptation of Gundam Wing. Basically after Gundam Wing aired Katoki created the "Custom" versions we see in Endless Waltz. After EW was released Katoki then went back and redesigned all of the Gundam from the TV series and the audience is now meant to believe they were always the Katoki designs. To cement this retro-active cannon (retcon) the Katoki versions are being used in the manga Gundam Wing Endless Waltz: Glory of Losers. So the EW moniker just means the MS was designed by Katoki for the retcon'd story line. They are meant to be the same MS from Gundam Wing with new designs.

Exia
July 13, 2012, 6:29 PM
Ugh....I hate the Katoki redesigns soooooooooooooo much.

Joe
July 15, 2012, 2:30 PM
Ugh....I hate the Katoki redesigns soooooooooooooo much.

Why's that, Exia? I like both versions of all the MS but for different reasonings. The TV versions, to me, seem more organic(?). I like the more round shapes, they look muscular and heroic in a way. But the Katoki designs are nice for their sharp angles and over all they just look meaner.

Exia
July 15, 2012, 6:10 PM
Why's that, Exia? I like both versions of all the MS but for different reasonings. The TV versions, to me, seem more organic(?). I like the more round shapes, they look muscular and heroic in a way. But the Katoki designs are nice for their sharp angles and over all they just look meaner.

Because as far as I'm concerned, it's like one step away from being micheal bayed. Katoki should stick with his own work, instead of screwing up others.

Joe
July 15, 2012, 6:42 PM
That's a fair assessment, Exia. I can definitely understand the sentiment, especially when dealing with our beloved TV versions that so many of us became attached to. But I still enjoy the Katoki designs for what they are. To each their own, friend.

I can also understand wanting Katoki to stick to his own stuff and not mess with other's designs, but have you seen the original Okawara line art for the RX-78-6 (http://www.mahq.net/mecha/gundam/m-msv/rx-78-6.htm)compared to Katoki's Mudrock/Madrock (http://www.mahq.net/mecha/gundam/zeonicfront/rx-78-6.htm)(Check the full equipment type photo)? HUGE improvement!

Exia
July 15, 2012, 7:03 PM
They both look fine, but Katoki is stepping on Kunio Okawara toes again. From what I've gathered, Katoki can do designs all by himself fine. It also hurts that they're retconning all of Kunio Okawara's designs for that "Glory of Losers" (great name too, I think the Katoki designs are loser designs) manga. If they had gone about a storyline way of something like the Katoki designs were crafted from only partial data collected or found from the original Kunio operation meteor gundams, I think I would've been cool with it. Ya' know, atleast admit that Kunio's gundams existed.

Joe
July 15, 2012, 11:53 PM
I'm a bit bitter towards Bandai for basically retconning all of the TV versions out of existence, as well. Hopefully when they get around to HGAC they will do the TV designs. That will suit your scale preferences better anyway :-).

Exia
July 15, 2012, 11:57 PM
Aye aye....I'd love some HGAC.

Joe
July 18, 2012, 7:13 PM

About to go and do a topcoat on this model (about dang time!). Just need it to cool down a couple more degrees. After that dries, Wing will be all done!

Now unfortunately my entire folder of pictures of my modeling works has vanished from my computer... I'm running Recuva to try and recover them... 4 hour scan...

Joe
July 19, 2012, 11:10 PM
MG Wing Gundam EW is finished! I have a very busy weekend and beginning of next week ahead of me so I'm not 100% sure when I'll get around to taking pictures.

Deathscythe is officially started! All the red, yellow and dark navy blue armors have been painted. Tomorrow I should (crosses fingers) be able to get the grey for the inner frame painted and then the white... this weekend? maybe?

thwalker13
July 19, 2012, 11:13 PM
Awesome man. Can't wait to see the finished products. Do work. Like a boss.

Joe
August 2, 2012, 8:14 PM
I've decided finished pics for all of the MG EW kits will be posted together at the end of the Revival Project! Until then...

Joe
August 2, 2012, 8:18 PM
As well as...

thwalker13
August 2, 2012, 11:39 PM
What kit is that man?

Kenico
August 2, 2012, 11:51 PM
it looks like the Deathscythe Katoki...

Joe
August 3, 2012, 3:12 AM
Kenyon is correct! Kit number two for my MG builds is MG Deathscythe EW. I'll be building them in their designated order from the anime series Wing is 01, Deathscythe 02, Heavy Arms 03, Sandrock 04, and Shenlong 05. However, after Deathscythe (everything is painted, just need to assemble, apply stickers/markings, panel line, and topcoat) I'll be going back to my 1/144 kits (Deathscythe Hell, Altron, Epyon, and Wing Zero) that have been sitting around glued and snapped for a few months now.

Joe
August 20, 2012, 10:28 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fJQQNI7j1yQ&feature=g-upl

thwalker13
August 20, 2012, 11:51 PM
I'm currently going through the same issue Joe. I'm having a hard time working on my 00 Raiser. I just kinda do things slowly. I only work on it a little at a time. In other times I play some games or do other things that I need done. But I have the luxury of not being constrained by time like you are. So I can take as long as I want on a kit. However I do plan on taking a break from Gunpla after I finish my 00 Raiser. I have a few things that I would like to pick up and I feel like now would be the best time to do so.

Joe
August 21, 2012, 12:57 AM
I'm not really constrained on time, per se. The group build and my own personal Gundam Wing Revival Project is an on going thing, sort of a look back at my Gunpla Journey. But yeah, I just need a break for a bit. I need to focus on life for a while.

Exia
August 21, 2012, 12:59 AM
Atleast I have over a week to finish my Hydra. I've really been slacking on this, I think it's cause it's for a competition. I usually just build for fun, not to win anything....I think it's throwing my brain off.

Joe
August 21, 2012, 1:06 AM
The same thing happens to me when I enter a competition :-P.

Exia
August 21, 2012, 4:33 AM
Glad I'm not the only one. All things considered, I could care less about winning anything. As far as I'm concerned this is to show everyone else that not only can I do that whole panel lining/adding minor details stuff, that I choose not to do it for the simple fact I just don't want to. I just like building kits, when I look at my kits I instantly think of the mobile suit in question in some iconic (to me atleast) scene or something along those lines you know? Though to be honest, I am getting the itch to gunpla again....and I have wanted to get some new kits....maybe I should reread G-Unit and remember why I saved the Hydra instead of the Griepe.

Joe
August 21, 2012, 2:40 PM
Glad I'm not the only one. All things considered, I could care less about winning anything. As far as I'm concerned this is to show everyone else that not only can I do that whole panel lining/adding minor details stuff, that I choose not to do it for the simple fact I just don't want to. I just like building kits, when I look at my kits I instantly think of the mobile suit in question in some iconic (to me atleast) scene or something along those lines you know? Though to be honest, I am getting the itch to gunpla again....and I have wanted to get some new kits....maybe I should reread G-Unit and remember why I saved the Hydra instead of the Griepe.

I feel this is the essence of a true fan. You build what you like and you only do the amount of work that you want. It sounds so uncomplicated, unfrustrating, and just enjoyable. Well said.

thwalker13
August 21, 2012, 2:57 PM
Exia, I envy you. I really wish that I could do what you do with you kits. Unfortunately for me my perfectionism and OCD will not allow me to do so. :(

Gundamben831
August 21, 2012, 6:58 PM
I feel this is the essence of a true fan. You build what you like and you only do the amount of work that you want. It sounds so uncomplicated, unfrustrating, and just enjoyable. Well said.
I'm a lot like Exia I just like building the kit for the fun of building the kit, and nothing needs to be perfect as long as it looks close enough to the original figure then I am happy. As for you Joe hitting those dry spells of boredom can be tough at times, what usually helps me is some good gundam to watch or look online at some new kits to put your envy up another level to just finish what you have to start the next kit. I kinda am slowly progressing my Exia MG kit and so far I am not super enjoying building him either but he sits on my desk half built to remind me that it needs to be done before I can move to the next one =(

Exia, I envy you. I really wish that I could do what you do with you kits. Unfortunately for me my perfectionism and OCD will not allow me to do so. :(

I think letting go of the need to be so perfect will allow you to have more fun in building gunpla than just having to nitpick every detail, a lot of the times I ask myself when building them "do I need to detail this part? will it be seen when I have it on normal display?" these are little things I would consider contemplating before having to go full blast detailism. I do like that you are using top coat on most of your kits but I too have had my frustrations with top coat and I just won't use it anymore due to those little aggravating problems. A small detail I did notice if you top-coat first and then try to panel line afterwards it works better that way only because the enamel in the paint will tend to make the ink run and thus giving you those blotchy panel lines =/.

I wish I could add to this project as I already have three of the 5 wing gundams. I have the ver. ka wing, Heavy arms and Deathscythe. I do plan on getting Sandrock and Shenlong and Epyon only because wing was what started everything for me sadly but hey it turned me onto everything gundam and after that point I found out that not all gundams in the original series was made from Gundamium Alloy lmfao! ohh wing how I will never forget.

Joe
September 25, 2012, 1:23 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z07GEewO7Ik&feature=g-upl

Sort of an update on where I am.

What do you guys think with the Heavy Arms? Orange or red torso?

Joe
October 2, 2012, 9:30 PM

Getting ready for the last bit of spray painting for the MG Heavy Arms! I am having a dilemma though on how to paint the torso... posting a poll.

thwalker13
October 2, 2012, 9:43 PM
Looking good man. Can't wait to see the whole thing.

Joe
October 8, 2012, 10:54 PM
Since this is basically my version of WIP thread, I figured any announcements of projects should go here... including project suspensions...
Due to time/money constraints (mostly time) I'll be holding off on a lot of my progress. Granted most of my progress on things like MG Heavyarms is posted on YouTube rather than here and granted I think only about 5 or 6 people pay attention to this thread, I still feel it necessary to let you all know.

I'm going to try and at least get the spray painting done for Sandrock, but markings/decals/topcoat on Heavyarms and Sandrock won't be for a while... may not even until Spring depending on weather.

For further explanation of what's going on besides life and school already taking up time please read THIS (http://www.gundamforums.com/showthread.php/8311-So-I-was-in-an-accident?p=40166#post40166) post.