PDA

View Full Version : General Role Play Guideline.

SilverFrameAstray
May 3, 2012, 3:09 AM
I feel like this is probably easiest on both me and the reader if I do this as a listed set, rather than a wall of text.

1. There will always be two threads for any RP. One is for the actual RP itself, and the other is to discuss or ask about it without interfering with the RP's atmosphere.

2. You should try to not make your character like yourself, and definitely do not make your character a Mary Sue (perfect characters who never lose, so no Jesus Yamato) You will make your character in the discussion thread. Here you will post your character, a short background on him, his personality type, his appearance and so on. It is up to the creator of the RP whether you can choose your own MS or are given a set MS.

3. Do not kill off other people's characters in a DMless RP. You may go into the discussion thread about the RP and ask the member's permission, but do not take it upon yourself to make such a drastic story change.

4. It is important as a writing element, to make decisions and act as your CHARACTER would, and not how YOU would.

5. The story will be led by whoever made the RP, or by the designated DM. They make the chapters, and decide what the objective is for each one. Also do not take it upon yourself to do a drastic story change without asking first. If you are going to decide that your character will be a traitor and/or evil and you wish to do it as a surprise, consider before posting how you are going to go about it. You can make it shocking, just try not to ruin the idea of the story for anyone else.

6. Correct spelling and grammar is most crucial here. Just as writing a fan-fic, you want a clean and legible representation to all readers. Be sure to reread your post and edit it before posting. Check for misspelled words with the forum's integrated spellcheck. Words like Gelgoog and Bawoo will clearly not be "words", but check every red underlined word.

7. The RP will not usually happen in real time as any other usually would. The RP controller (DM or starter) will make the entry post and set the atmosphere for the RP. Give the background, events leading up to the event you are about to partake in, and then a rough guideline of what the characters are working for. Then you will make your character entry post. Try to write your entry post to where it wouldn't be conflicting with other members, as it takes time to write out your first post, and then see other people's after posting (i.e. if you say your character was the first person to charge into battle on the entry post, there could be two or three other characters who say the same thing. You would have to edit your post to either have not gone in first, or everyone would edit that they charged in together).

Further rules will be made in the discussion thread for an RP by the RP controller.

Zeon's RedComet
May 3, 2012, 6:46 PM
Woah we're getting a Role Play section? Yes, yes, YESSSS.

There was a cool Gundam RP fourm I joined but it was pretty much dead when I joined but they had a good set up, didn't really get to play to much though.

Kenico
May 3, 2012, 8:52 PM
not much for RP but i think i can give this a shot. count me in when the whole thing launches.

CharAznable
May 3, 2012, 8:55 PM
As with me! Super excited!

Zeon's RedComet
May 9, 2012, 12:25 AM
So post your charictar here hey? Any particular Universe? Or can I just stick him in what ever universe? (I'm going to go with U.C most likely anyways.

CharAznable
May 9, 2012, 12:45 AM
If I am to understand the RP rules, the universe will be up to the DM of that particular arc. I imagine there will be arcs set in all of the gundam universes. I have several characters in mind, depending on the universe, and am super excited to get started :D

Kenico
May 9, 2012, 9:15 AM
Question: what if instead of setting RPs in multiple universes of Gundam, why not create a universe in which all the mobile suits (grunt suits, specialty suits, Gundams, etc.), weapons, equipment, colony types, starship types, Etc. exist? its like pullin a Turn A except your adding the Cosimic Era, Ano domini Era, Advanced generation Era to the other universes, and theres no deal which the Turn A Zapped all the tech into oblivion. think DWG with Role Playing. did all that make any lick of sense? lol

CharAznable
May 9, 2012, 5:46 PM
Actually, it did. Sounds interesting, definitely.

Kenico
May 9, 2012, 7:47 PM
You see the pros and cons behind it is:

Pros: A) You dont have to have mulitple accounts in multipe RP universes for each Gundam AU, just one profile will do (that way you wont confuse your storylines, itll be just one)
B) If the God Mod DMs go in this direction, and of course allow players to create their own custom MS, that would allow players multiple combos of parts, weapons, equipment, MS, ETC. this would allow the player to have their own unique style of combat, stats, advantages, disadvantages, and of course a very unique Mobile suit all their own (including custom names lol). and of course it doesnt hurt that it would be awesome!

C) it allows not only the DMs, but the players to be creative in RPing in a way you couldnt do in the other Gundam AUs, youd have to follow the rules of that particular universe in order to make it work. in a Singular Universe like i have proposed, a DM can create multiple senarios, multiple storylines, and miryads of experiences that players can truly enjoy. example, in the UC Universe, youd could only focus on the Earth Sphere and the only other planets that you could visit is Mars and Jupiter. But with this singulary universe, you could make up more worlds to fight over (and if players wanted to conqure that planet for themslves or for a "Guild", they can either work alone or recriut members of thier faction or freelancers for thier cause. their may be even RTS elements that can be explored in this direction.) and more factions can spring up to fight with other than the earth government and the space government.

Cons: A) If a Mod were to go in this direction, than some player would likely choose the Turn A as their suit and just win all the time, causing the game to suck. though on the other hand if the Mods were to make rules stating that Turn A and Turn X were DM Suits only, than this could remedy that problem. but then the other problem is is that people would have to maintain a stance of professionalism in order to do this right cause in one way or another some ones gonna say that "My Custom Gundam is more powerful than yours!!!!!" Bit (and i dont mean that in a good way fellas, i mean it in a way a whiney 3rd grader would do it.), and it could get ugly. which is why i reccomend to future DMs that players should choose Base Model, post its sats, and if they want to customise it, theyed have to post their moddifications on the discussion board (think armored Core folks), and in order that starting players dont go off gettin ridculously powerful god suits, have them start off with standard suits (like say a Zaku or GM or what have you), allow them to rack up XP, and a sort of Currency, let them buy parts, upgrades, etc., and if they have the right rank and credits, they can either Sell their old unit, trade it in, or just buy a and new unit and keep their old one as a back up suit.

B) <_<...>_>...well sadly i dont have a con B, Con A is the only forseeable problem i can assess for this proposed Singular Universe.

these are my pros and cons for a Singular Universe where all the gundam universes are mashed together into one big universe (think Dynasty Warriors Gundam...or Kingdom Hearts...what ever floats your Mobile Suit Carrier lol, with Real time or turn based Strategey and Armored Core Elements mixed with it.) and now i leave the rest up to not only the the other potential players but the mods themselves to do with this as they will lol.

Zeon's RedComet
May 9, 2012, 9:12 PM
Can we have mobile trace cockpit Guntanks in this mixed universe? LOL (Jks)

Anyhow I think it should be added to the rules, no Turn A, no Turn X, and no Quantizeing...to even out the field, hell Mobile Fighters are kittens compaired to the Turns IMO.

But yeah while I like the mixed universe idea, it should be up to the DM to make what universe it's in since I'd love to see some OYW Grunt Varient only stuff.

Kenico
May 9, 2012, 9:20 PM
Guntanks controled by Mobile Trace? Hmmm...not a bad idea lol

but yeah its totally left up to the Dm on how the RP is gonna role, but IMO this singlular universe would favor alot of players and clear up any mess and of course it allows the DM to create a wide variety of senarioes (in other words they can be creative than just follow cannon lol)

Zeon's RedComet
May 9, 2012, 9:24 PM
No need to follow cannon in a universe, I mean I was thinking we can get people together, and make Zeon win for once.

Kenico
May 9, 2012, 9:31 PM
Im in...as long as those heathens the Zabis are not involved!

Zeon's RedComet
May 9, 2012, 9:39 PM
Yes, yes they are, but there's no reason why we can't pull a Char, and just you know make them disapear. (Minus Dozle, he stays)

Kenico
May 9, 2012, 9:43 PM
ive hated the Zabi family for their Roman style of politics: murder and manipulation. but in Dozles case ill make an exception. at least hes one of the two most decent zabis i have come across save Garma. so yeah with the exception of garma and dozel, if the the rest of those heathens go im in lol.

Exia
May 9, 2012, 10:10 PM
Of all the Zabi's I prefer Kycilia. Garma seemed like too much of a priss, Dozle seemed like a meathead, and Gihren was a power hungry madman. And Degwin just sucked.

Kenico
May 10, 2012, 7:15 AM
Of all the Zabi's I prefer Kycilia. Garma seemed like too much of a priss, Dozle seemed like a meathead, and Gihren was a power hungry madman. And Degwin just sucked.

always into the crazy women eh exia?

Zeon's RedComet
May 10, 2012, 6:36 PM
Kycillia wasn't that bad ethier IMO.

Exia
May 10, 2012, 7:02 PM
Kycillia wasn't that bad ethier IMO.

Thank you! Even with all the side story manga, Kycillia is barely ever mentioned. The most that's been shown was that she and Jonny Ridden were getting it on.

always into the crazy women eh exia?

What other crazy women......oh yeah, Nena and Chara.....

Zeon's RedComet
May 10, 2012, 10:09 PM
Yeah she was more cunning than Dozle (not always a bad thing), but she was still allot better than Garden and Dewing. Oddly enough her death is one of the more satisfying ones, I think it was maybe because *Spoilers* BOOM HEADSHOT. Well maybe it was Gama’s because that was honestly the best Char quote of all time "You can blame this on the misfortune of your birth,"

Anyhow it seems this is where profiles are posted so here's my RP character.

Name: Maxwell Shepard (Stole the name from one of my Mass Effect characters lolz)

Faction: Principality of Zeon

Preferred Mobile Suit: Zudah or the Zaku for early OYW, Gyan (or the Gelgoog, or other Gyan Variants) for late OYW after that

Color Scheme: Black and Dark Blue with white accents

Rank: (I think this will vary depending on the DM's RP, but if it's up to me in that RP it'll most likely be something just one or two ranks above Lieutenant)

Personality: Calm, cool and collected, can have a temper if pushed to far

History: Born in Side 3 to John, and Hannah Shepard in U.C.0053 he grew up in the hart of Zeon territory, his father served under Zeon Deikun before the Zabi's took over, and he enlisted into the Zeon's officers academy at the age of 17. He showed a natural aptitude With fighter piloting, and had an interest in the early phases of the development of mobile suits, and became a test pilot, for both the MS-04 Zaku I Prototype, and the EMS-04 Zudah (he survived it by knowing the let the reactor cool sufficiently during long test boosting streaks) he gave both suits the seal of approval by stating "Give the Zudah to those with the aptitude to pilot it, give the rest of them a Zaku, it's a solid machine, but will be outdated if the Eddies ever get their hands on one," of course he was a minority on the matter, and being a fresh recruit he wasn't taken seriously, despite his piloting aptitude.

He took place in the battle of Loum in the OYW kicked off taking out a solid number of 3 ESEF ships with his MS-04 Zaku painted in his signature Black and Dark Blue with white Accents paint scheme. Earning him the nickname "the black tide". While his number of 3 downed ships wasn't as impressive as the 5 Shot down by fellow Ace Char Aznable, or the 4 (or was it also 5) of Johnny Ridden, his superiors quickly took note of his skills, and he was finally stationed at Solomon for the first months of the War under the command of Dozle Zabi, who under his request got him a Zudah.

Being one of the few pilots in the One Year War to pilot the EMS-10 Zudah, a refitted five year old prototype, he earned a reputation for being remarkably fast, and was feared in close combat, opting to go in with a heat hawk instead of the 120MM Zaku Machine Gun. After the Federation Launched the Gundam, and the GM he was sent closer to Earth to hold of the main forces, and was also sent to help with the defense of Odessa, only leavening when an incoming transmission from Dozle told him to "Retreat, as there's no reason for him to die defending a base which had all ready been of great use" Of course he took a few more feddies down leisurely as he left.

He was also picked to test both the Gyan, and the Gelgoog, opting for the Gyan as it suited his combat style more, even though he leaned towards the Gelgoog in his report as it was "More useful to be a Mass Production suit, as it contained a better arsenal applicable in most situations, compared to the Gyan, which focuses to heavily on close combat for most pilots, and has only a marginal advantage in that area compared to the YMS-14S."

He also earned a reputation of both Cunning, and Chivalry, leting other aces go when they had mechanical issues, or where in a heavilly dated suit, as to not sully his reputation. He often also makes a point of going after those same people when they where on the battlefield a diffrent time. His mechanical aptitude is also quite reputible, often working on his own suits, and designing a few of his own, most of whom where ethier varients of allready made Zeonic MS, or where to advanced at the time to make it in to Mass Production. Under Dozle whom he considered somewhat of a Father figure (his father dieing when he was only 14) taught him to be an effective leader, and as such he takes allot of Dozle's leading styles when leading a force of men, like front line inspections, though also with Trickery sometimes compaired to M'Quve's. Though in one on one, he prefers to be straight foreward leaveing the tricks for the grander scale. (Of course he never lets petty squables get in his way, and sends reinforcements as needed.)

Kenico
May 11, 2012, 1:14 AM
still hesitant to post my charater stats until i see a story made. ill wait until a DM and RP sencario are set.

KhornAshrem
June 29, 2012, 8:24 AM
i rp in chat room we are in need of rpers but if there is an rp section here i want in but will i get My Gundam or some other MS?

CharAznable
June 29, 2012, 2:03 PM
Dependant on the DM and universe. Currently, we are in the UC universe, and have just gotten our first Gundam (The Alex Gundam). So far, we have stayed in custom mass production suits, but again, that can vary from DM to DM. I guess it really depends on the specs of your Gundam.

MSM-03C Hygogg
September 28, 2014, 2:55 AM
Is there some protocol to Join in new or existing RPs?
Because I would really like to get into this. :D

Zeon's RedComet
September 28, 2014, 2:56 AM
No protocal, just post in the discussions.

We have a GBF RP about to start, and a CE one that's going strong and hasn't goten to maybe what might be the 1/4th mark.

The 00RP part one is nearly done, so I don't think Ginga is letting anyone new in. But that's up to him.

MSM-03C Hygogg
September 28, 2014, 3:03 AM
Thanks for the info, i will look at the GBF thread.

gundammonkey
July 10, 2016, 11:41 AM
I have a question (if people still answer this thread) When I see RP I think D&D so who rolls the dice? Are there even dice to roll? How do we know if the dice are rolled in a fair manner? I have been involved with people in a RP environment who were quite the little cheaters, they knew how to roll the dice to favor them. Loaded dice and what not. Also how do we know whose "turn" it is?

Kenico
July 10, 2016, 11:51 AM
Normally around here we dont do dice roles its more of social roleplay than D&D and we do what is called a Posting order.

Example of such order: lets say I have me, ZRC, Char, and Exia. AKA the Original Badasses ;)

Lets say that ZRC starts, then Char goes next, then Exia, then me. That would be the intial posts. After that or after we agree on a posting order before hand, we go in the following order

ZRC
Char
Exia
Kenico

We would follow this order and boom lol.

Zeon's RedComet
July 10, 2016, 11:57 AM
There are no Dice and there aren't really turn, it just kinda works, it's more creative writing base than any sort of DnD stuff or D20 or whatever else, the DM/Person running it pushes it in the general direction of the story and sets up the guidelines for what people can and can't do in terms of suits and such, though allot of the time the stories change (can say this as someone who has ran a few of them) due to input from everyone and it's more of a team effort than anthing. It's just worked out everyone's been cool about it and no one's really cheated, not that I can really think of a way anyone would 'cheat' really in this type of situation it's really just adhere to the rules okay things with the DM/Other players if they're involved directly, if you want to do something big that might upset someone's own plans and such.

It's just kind of worked out.

- - - Updated - - -

Normally around here we dont do dice roles its more of social roleplay than D&D and we do what is called a Posting order.

Example of such order: lets say I have me, ZRC, Char, and Exia. AKA the Original Badasses ;)

Lets say that ZRC starts, then Char goes next, then Exia, then me. That would be the intial posts. After that or after we agree on a posting order before hand, we go in the following order

ZRC
Char
Exia
Kenico

We would follow this order and boom lol.

I wouldn't even say there's really ever been an established order especially as it changes as time goes on and depending on what's going on and who's more heavily involved in any particular scene etc.

- - - Updated - - -

I mean there is a general flow when things get set up and move but it kind of varies a bit even then. It sounds allot more chaotic than it actually sounds.

Kenico
July 10, 2016, 11:58 AM
There have been times where peeps called BS (Raises hand for being guilty of almost BS) and instead of it breaking down into a fight we own up and fix it. Which is another reason why were the best :P

but yeah basically what ZRC Said lol

- - - Updated - - -

Agreed thats just the BASIC LOL

Zeon's RedComet
July 10, 2016, 12:01 PM
Even then there really hasn't been any major issues anything that's been raised was minor stuff like mistakes and stuff we had to go back and fix not people overtly breaking the rules. Worse that's happened is people getting a little over the top and even then that's rare like in four years I can only count on like one hand where anything like that has happened honestly.

Kenico
July 10, 2016, 12:10 PM
Amen. This has to be TO DATE THE BEST RP GROUP I have ever played with. And believe me. I have in recent years rped with some characters that would ruin a whole story to be badasses and in this case we give everyone a chance to shine when the situation calls for it. And to all my comrades, I am honored to rp with you once again :)

gundammonkey
July 10, 2016, 12:10 PM
cool beans thanks. I have seen the thread posts in the Whats new section I just never really understood how it all worked. I will read some of your personal descriptions so I can make one for myself.

Kenico
July 10, 2016, 12:13 PM
Very good.

Drafty
April 26, 2017, 9:00 PM
Hello.

I'm very new to Forum RP, but not RP in general. I've read all of the posts in this thread and would like to get started, although I'm rather nervous about interrupting an already ongoing RP. Added, since I'm new here is there anything I should know right out of the gates?

Thank you.