PDA

View Full Version : Screws

Zechs36
April 27, 2012, 6:51 PM
I've noticed lately that a few kits (MG) come with screws for the shoulders but I've run in to a problem. I'm currently working on the RX-78-5 and the screws don't go all the way in and I can't turn them anymore. With that being said, I can't put the cover piece on and the screw is almost stripped so I have no way of getting it out. Anyone got any ideas?

CKai Cydek
April 27, 2012, 7:10 PM
I'm not familiar with the joint details of this kit, but if the screw isn't in a tight, inaccessible area, you could try a pair of longnose pliers and grab the thing, then slowly & carefully unscrew it. Happened to me more than a few times, and that was the method I employed to remove the screws.

There are two kinds of moldings that accommodate screws that I know of in Bandai kits:

1. The hole is the right fit for the screw, and it screws in without any trouble. This is usually the case with Action Bases that have screws that are meant to be tightened or loosened depending on how tight you want the joints. The leg joints for the MG Gundam One-Year War Ver. are the same way.

2. The hole is barely enough for the screw to fit into, and you're essentially drilling into the hole as the screw digs into the plastic. Then the screw stops halfway and then refuses to budge, which forces you to increase the pressure then you end up mangling the screw. What you should do here to prevent this scenario, is to screw it carefully but firmly in, then when it starts to get tight, unscrew it, scrape off the plastic around the grooves of the screw, then screw it back in. Repeat as needed till the screw is all the way in snugly.

I remember the MG Strikes have shoulder joints that use screws this way, and if they're not all the way in, they stick out & prevent the shoulders from swinging all the way up.

omgwow0
April 27, 2012, 8:43 PM
Okay you were suppose to use Slot screwdriver, and not the Phillips. The phillips screw drivers just doesn't have a good grip on the screw. I know because I built them, and I sold my second set to you... LOL

Zechs36
April 27, 2012, 9:04 PM
...well that explains it.

Joe
April 27, 2012, 10:09 PM
STOP! FORCING! THE! SCREW! PLEASE!

Okay, I've built a lot of MG kits that use screws. Here is THE trick! Works every time! When you first set the screw into the hole and place your screw driver (I use phillips and never have an issue) SLOWLY turn the screw BACKWARDS until it sort of *clicks* into place. That is the threading lining up. Then screw in slowly, but firmly. Most of the time, if you do it this way, you don't hit that stopping point.

If you do still hit that stopping point where it should keep going turn the screw backwards again just a little and that re-sets the screw, now you should be able to get the screw to go a little further. If it stops again, just be patient and continue to unscrew and then screw until you get through that tough spot. Eventually you'll get through and will be able to continue to the bottom of the hole.

If you do force the screw through, you run a big risk of ruining the joint and dooming the arm to a limp life dangling at the side of the MS instead of holding up that big giant gun!