PDA

View Full Version : Choosing a decent Freedom kit.

Lights
April 23, 2012, 10:07 PM
So I'm looking to buy & paint/detail a Freedom kit. 3 or 4 years ago I purchased and built the MG Freedom and to date it's been my favorite model. I didn't go hard on gundam models then, I dug the old thing up in my room and it's no longer in the best condition haha.

Now I want to complete one in its entirety but I'm having some trouble choosing. I was considering just getting another MG kit but now I'm looking into the RG kit. The bit scale 1/60 (not PG) didn't seem detailed enough so Im not interested in that one. There is also the full burst mode kit -__-

The RG seems really nice but it's only 1/144, I'm looking for a 1/100 as I'm new to panel lining so it would be easier. The Freedom gundam has quite the nostalgic hold on me, enticing me since I was 15 staying up to watch adult swim :p so I don't mind spending a bit more for a better kit. Also I have a busy work shedule so it's going to take me a few months to finish it :|

So I'd love to hear about expenices with any of the Freedom kits, and also how long it took you to complete it. If you have some pictures youd like to post feel free to do that aswell. As of right now I'm doing some "tests" wih an on Saviour 1/100 to get the whole process down before I work on a fresh kit.

Joe
April 23, 2012, 10:13 PM
The Full Burst is actually the STRIKE Freedom, just so you are aware. Didn't want you buying something you weren't looking for. The RG is amazing if you don't mind tiny moving parts that may break if mishandled. If that's not your cup of tea, and you MUST go 1/100 scale, you only have the old No Grade 1/100, the MG (which you have) or the Extra Finish MG, which is the same thing as the normal one but has a shiny paint job applied to it.

Now, if you wanted to include the Strike Freedom, you'll have a few more choices in the MG department. Also, to note, the PG is the Strike Freedom, not the Freedom.

Lights
April 23, 2012, 10:37 PM
Thanks for the fast reply! As far as I know the Strike Freedom is the version used in Destiny? I actually didn't know that there was much of a difference between them so thanks for the heads up. Personally either version is fine with me, they both have the staple wings which makes it stand out from any other Gundam.

Ironically enough I just looked at the MG extra finish version. I'm not really a fan of the metallic parts but I really liked how you can pull the wings out & position them nicely. Is it worth the extra money if you plan to just paint over 80% of the metallic parts though? The PG strike freedom looks gogeous & I would get it if I was just plannin to snap and build. I'm not experienced enough to paint and detail a PG model yet haha

thwalker13
April 24, 2012, 7:04 AM
I have the MG Strike Freedom Full Burst Mode. And it's by far my favorite kit that I've put together so far. If you're going to take the time to paint it and make it look good. Then it will not disappoint you. I have a small review of it posted in the EGO section if you'd like to check it out.

Red
April 24, 2012, 11:39 AM
I'd say go for the MG Strike Freedom. It would serve as an appropriate successor to your MG Freedom and is just a well designed kit overall. The decals also look really nice on it. Though the gold parts don't look too great out of the box. You may want to paint them up to make them really shine. But if you don't really care about that then disregard the previous. Hope that helps.

Joe
April 24, 2012, 1:07 PM
Yeah, man, if you're willing to go either way as far as Freedom or Strike Freedom, I too would recommend the MG Strike Freedom Bull Burst mode. It comes with your choice of stands (one shaped like it's wings and one action base 1), you get the cool affect with the clear pipes to have the Dragoons launching, and for the most part, the gold is plated already and looks great!

As an aside, both Freedom and Strike Freedom were used in Destiny :-P. Just to blur you perception as to which is which ever more, lol.

Lights
April 28, 2012, 8:27 PM
Thanks for the replies, chances are I'll go with the burst mode MG now. I like the extra details on the wings and it seems like a high quality kit. I'll check out the review mentioned too. I'll probably end up painting a lot of the gold parts on the body a normal color so they stand out less. I've only watched Destint twice compared to the 4-5 times I've watched Seed so that is probably why I don't know the difference between the two freedom styles haha.

I know this is off topic but is the full burst mode of the Destiny MG kit worth the extra $? I really like the wing inserts it comes with. All these options for MG kits can be overwhelming when making a decision haha

Red
April 28, 2012, 9:11 PM
From the online reviews I've seen it seems the MG Destiny FB is more desirable than the Strike Freedom FB. The wings of light are a good add on for display. So yeah I'd say it's worth it if you really want it.

thwalker13
April 28, 2012, 10:23 PM
I'd agree with Red. I don't have the Destiny, but it's on my to buy list. And when I do go to buy it, I'll be buying the Extreme Blast Mode. I just with the Strike Freedom Full Burst Mode came with the Wings of Light.

WING ZERO
April 29, 2012, 2:37 PM
The Full Burst is actually the STRIKE Freedom, just so you are aware. Didn't want you buying something you weren't looking for. The RG is amazing if you don't mind tiny moving parts that may break if mishandled. If that's not your cup of tea, and you MUST go 1/100 scale, you only have the old No Grade 1/100, the MG (which you have) or the Extra Finish MG, which is the same thing as the normal one but has a shiny paint job applied to it.

Now, if you wanted to include the Strike Freedom, you'll have a few more choices in the MG department. Also, to note, the PG is the Strike Freedom, not the Freedom.

he means the No grade 1/60 freedom.