PDA

View Full Version : Thinking of buying airbrush, are the hard to use?

jayhat100
April 16, 2012, 7:17 PM
I've been watching a lot of airbrushing video's and was wondering if they are hard to use. I would like to try it just looks like a better way to go. I'm pretty limited just useing spray cans. Are they worth the money. Should i get a single or dual action? Any help or comments would be a great help.

om3rta
April 16, 2012, 10:33 PM
The initial investment on a nice airbrush and compressor is pretty high. Throw in the cost of paint and you're looking at quite a fat price tag. For me, my airbrush and compressor came to about $250, and I got a really crappy compressor. I went with a double action, because you have to do less tinkering (none at all really) to control the flow of paint.

Is it hard? I'm still getting the hang of it, but I also don't paint that much either. I would recommend trying on a few cheap HG or NG kits before you try painting anything expensive. Also, painting on paper is good practice as well. Just watch some tutorials. You'll get the hang of it.

If it helps, I got an Iwata Eclipse HP-CS. I picked that because all of the reviews said it was a solid airbrush and everyone I asked said it was super noob friendly. I hear Badger is a good company as well.

The Ogre
April 17, 2012, 5:19 PM
How much of a budget do you have to work with?

Personally, I would just stick with spray cans. They are more budget friendly (Krylon FTW!) and don't really require any skill to use.

jayhat100
April 17, 2012, 5:48 PM
How much of a budget do you have to work with?

Personally, I would just stick with spray cans. They are more budget friendly (Krylon FTW!) and don't really require any skill to use.

I'm not looking to spend or $150.00 for the air brush, i allready have a shop compressor (just need to by mos. trap.) so my start up will not be that much. I already use spray cans but would start adding some shadowing to my kits. Plus i think it would be fun to learn.

Lights
April 26, 2012, 10:45 PM
I got an airbrush+compressor+hose kit off amazon for ~80 and it works great. That being said it was my first time using one so I'm sure it's not amazing or anything but it defiantly gets the job done.

Here's the link: http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B001TO578Q/ref=mp_s_a_2?qid=1335494664&sr=8-2

Modeling is probably my only hobby that doesn't run my bank account dry haha.

EDIT: finally found the time to mess around with the airbrush & some tamiya flat paints. DAMN. I was really surprised at how amazing a primed piece looks after a flat red coat. As far as how easy it is to use, honestly it couldn't be any more simple. Crazy fun too, I defiantly recommend getting one!

jayhat100
May 2, 2012, 11:24 PM
I got an airbrush+compressor+hose kit off amazon for ~80 and it works great. That being said it was my first time using one so I'm sure it's not amazing or anything but it defiantly gets the job done.

Here's the link: http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B001TO578Q/ref=mp_s_a_2?qid=1335494664&sr=8-2

Modeling is probably my only hobby that doesn't run my bank account dry haha.

EDIT: finally found the time to mess around with the airbrush & some tamiya flat paints. DAMN. I was really surprised at how amazing a primed piece looks after a flat red coat. As far as how easy it is to use, honestly it couldn't be any more simple. Crazy fun too, I defiantly recommend getting one!

I pick one up last week, so far it has been alot cheaper in paint than rattle cans, just trying out shading, but it is tricky.