View Full Version : ver ka - others

qiqi
April 14, 2012, 5:13 AM
hello
i wanted to ask what ver ka actually means
i know its the name of the japanese mecha designer
but i dont know what ver ka means to model kits
does it mean some sort of prototype for a kit that will be improved later on
or does it actually mean its an improved version of a kit that already exist?
thanks

gdx9902
April 14, 2012, 5:30 AM
The ver ka on the MG kits you see is actually short for "version katoki" or rather that kit is "Katoki's designed version".

Hajime Katoki is a well known Mecha designer in Japan, and has designed many of the Mobile Suits for many series such as 0083, V Gundam, G Gundam and Gundam Wing series.

He is perhaps most famous for designing the Gundam Sentinel series. Especially the Gundam E-SX.
I have heard from my experienced modelling friends that the Gundam E-SX MG is the only kit that is built as is (with no modifications) as a tribute to the famous designer.

qiqi
April 14, 2012, 6:14 AM
so it doesn't mean anything more than its katoki's design?
because like the master grade unicorn you have the ver ka and then bandai released an improved version called OVA version

Joe
April 14, 2012, 6:21 AM
It's not that it is "improved" it is just a different design. Like the RX-78-2, there was the Version 1.5 and the the Ver Ka came out after that. Some would consider the Ver Ka an improvement on the 1.5 Gundam. As to whether or not it is an improvement is all subject and matter of opinion.

qiqi
April 14, 2012, 6:39 AM
ok thanks allot

CKai Cydek
April 14, 2012, 6:44 AM
Just to add more info on Ver.Ka kits, the reason why they're called "Version Katoki" and designated as such is because they were designed by Katoki, from initial drawing board concept, to the digital CAD illustrations, and even the engineering & construction, and parts design, and of course, the infamous decal designs were all done by Hajime Katoki himself.

The only things Katoki isn't responsible for are the manuals, box design (though the CGI used are likely his), and I'm pretty sure he doesn't bother packing the boxes himself. Otherwise, it's all Katoki.

This also brings to light some other questions that get asked: the reason why the current Gundam Wing Master Grades aren't called Ver.Ka and are called Ver.EW, is because they aren't completely designed by Katoki - they are based off of his designs, but Katoki himself did not design the kits completely: their inner frames (XXX Frame) alone were designed by someone else, so they technically cannot be called Katoki's, though part of the box & manual design are in the spirit of a Ver.Ka kit.

Katoki does contribute a few part designs despite these not being entirely done by him - for instance, the Deathscythe Hell's wings were based off of Katoki's CAD illustrations.

While I admire & idolize Hajime Katoki for his incredible design aesthetic and I even appreciate his somewhat over-the-top decal schemes, I think he still has a ways to go as an engineer. Half his Ver.Ka kits are superb, but the other half have serious design & engineering issues. That's why I'm glad that while Katoki designed the Wing kits, someone else engineered them.

qiqi
April 14, 2012, 3:13 PM
thats pretty much everything i need to know lol
its all clear for me now
thanks ckai!