PDA

View Full Version : Forum Chat!

SilverFrameAstray
April 14, 2012, 4:06 AM
So. There have been many a conversation on getting an integrated chat system to the forums.
This would allow free conversation of any topic at all without getting the forum in trouble, cluttering or derailing threads, and keeping personal matters be that of disagreements or so on away from the public eyes of new members.

For now, I advise you all to get a skype account if you do not already. I am setting up a chat for the forums, and will invite all peoples who share their screennames.

The chat will be open even if I am online, and anyone can talk at any time, with the hopes someone in the chat is online to talk to you.

My screen name is ProfessorVid or you can search Aidan David Aaron Mullins.

I honestly hope that this works out well.

Zeta
April 14, 2012, 4:21 AM
Creating Skype account now. Unfortunately, my brother is in possession of my only mic. Sooooo no calls but you register me as AgentGundam.

TwilightKing
April 14, 2012, 11:08 AM
I have a skype, my user name is H0lyHandGranade.

gdx9902
April 14, 2012, 3:28 PM
My Skype ID is gdx9902 =)

SilverFrameAstray
April 14, 2012, 4:58 PM
So far there are 6 members in the chat, including me. Sweet!

squeam
April 14, 2012, 6:41 PM
My name be squeams.

GNzaku0023
April 14, 2012, 11:32 PM
Screen name: GNzaku

Joe
April 29, 2012, 2:40 PM
duke4799, please add me!

SilverFrameAstray
May 1, 2012, 8:37 AM
So we have quite a hefty amount of members in the chat now! At any point in time that I will specifically be hosting a get together, moreso just a planned date, I will do so in advance on this thread!

I'll probably give 1-2 days in advance on what day we should all jump in and have fun! I'll be basing all times on the Eastern Seaboard timezone (what on earth ever the technical or official name for that is jeez).

The chat is constantly open, even if I am not online, so feel free to check in and see if anyone else is on. You can add the entire chat room as a contact. I just simply named said contact as "The Gundam Forums".

So. How about on Friday night we all have a lovely cybernetic bonfire!

Zeon's RedComet
May 4, 2012, 12:20 AM
Ok I’m new to this Skype stuff, and I want to join the chat, now I got it all registered (ZeonsRedComet since I made it for this) and I have the downloaded thing but it’s taking it’s sweet time installing, and I don’t think it’s doing a thing. Dose it just take an age, because it's going off of the internet to install it (which will take a fortnight with my net) or what, I tried the site and looked for The Gundam Fourms but nothing came up.

Any help would be nice. (Also what's the exact time for the Bonfire?

Skittles
May 4, 2012, 9:01 AM
iwasledastray

I think I'm all set and ready to go.

SilverFrameAstray
May 4, 2012, 9:14 AM
Ok Iím new to this Skype stuff, and I want to join the chat, now I got it all registered (ZeonsRedComet since I made it for this) and I have the downloaded thing but itís taking itís sweet time installing, and I donít think itís doing a thing. Dose it just take an age, because it's going off of the internet to install it (which will take a fortnight with my net) or what, I tried the site and looked for The Gundam Fourms but nothing came up.

Any help would be nice. (Also what's the exact time for the Bonfire?

Don't worry about trying to look for the chat itself, I'll invite you in. Are you able to run skype and log in?

So a bit more official bits!

The Bonfire will start at 9 p.m. eastern. The west coast of the United States is 4 hours behind us so I am trying to settle out around here for an open time across the US.
I will go ahead and add Skittles and ZRC. I hope to see everyone in the chat!

CKai Cydek
May 4, 2012, 9:45 AM
I'd like to join in, but I can't add "The Gundam Forums" as a contact because Skype is supposed to only allow usernames without spaces in them, so it doesn't show up in a contact search.

Please add me if it's not too late. My username is CKaiCydek.

Zeon's RedComet
May 4, 2012, 2:13 PM
Don't worry about trying to look for the chat itself, I'll invite you in. Are you able to run skype and log in?

So a bit more official bits!

The Bonfire will start at 9 p.m. eastern. The west coast of the United States is 4 hours behind us so I am trying to settle out around here for an open time across the US.
I will go ahead and add Skittles and ZRC. I hope to see everyone in the chat!

I think we're only 3 hours behind you, I think.

I can run the site, but that little program it makes you download isnít wanting to install, unless it wants to take hours, which I donít want to take my self. So can I just find it all on the Skype website and chat there, or will that program need to install?

Asterisk
May 4, 2012, 2:52 PM
Must be nice to not work overnight, huh guys???!!

SilverFrameAstray
May 4, 2012, 9:37 PM
You do need to have the program downloaded I believe. Well, you guys can join at any time. I was a little late coming home, but I'm sure it isn't THAT late.

Amuro Ray
May 4, 2012, 10:34 PM
I am JTFree77

I would like to join

Kenico
May 5, 2012, 5:45 AM
Good News: finally got the time to make a Skype account: KenyonAnoah

Bad News: A) I was late for the bonfire :( B) i think the microphone i have is crappy and i dont think i can speak. does anyone know some good affordable headsets that will work with skype?

Deathscythe!
May 5, 2012, 8:50 AM
I was totally shocked when I noticed that nobody had signed up with the name "dm_deathscythe" ...

There you go : dm_deathscythe

I guess , I'll go and get skype for my mobile phone once I've finished writing . Dude , I love writing . It's the legal way of wasting one's time and spamming by posting only one post .

Amuro Ray
May 5, 2012, 11:20 AM
I didn't have a mic, I'm not sure that anyone was talking that way. It was mostly just chatting. Was fun though. Am looking forward to doing it again.

SilverFrameAstray
May 5, 2012, 9:51 PM
So Officially, the scheduled chat days are on Tuesday and Friday at 8:30 p.m. eastern.

Kenyon I sent you a contact request, and DS i have you added to the chat.

Kenico
May 5, 2012, 10:38 PM
ok so 8:30 pm Eastern is 7:30 Central? got it.

SilverFrameAstray
May 12, 2012, 5:39 PM
I apologize for not having been in the chat for the past two sessions or announcing that the chat was up. I am currently in an occupational crisis, and will return when I get things sorted out.

Do feel free to pop onto the chat on the scheduled times without me. I am not necessary for the chat to begin, just have at it.

SilverFrameAstray
May 15, 2012, 7:47 PM
Bumping for the sole purpose of catching attention. The chat will be in 45 minutes from now.

Red
May 16, 2012, 12:32 AM
Oh dang I missed it.

SilverFrameAstray
May 18, 2012, 8:35 PM
Well it's 8:30 folks! I'll be online for about 1-2 hours waiting~

Squee
June 2, 2012, 11:03 PM
Why do you need a designated time for skype? Calls can go all day lol unless you're hosting video calls and anyone in the chat can host the call.

Kenico
June 3, 2012, 5:52 AM
Its because squee alot of us are in different TIME zones and if SFA Says 8pm, hes meaning EASTERN time. me and my bro are in CENTRAL time which means 7pm for us...and in ZRCs case its (taps fingers on head like a calculator) 5-4 pm. see?

SilverFrameAstray
June 3, 2012, 6:43 AM
It's just a general time to understand when people are GOING to be on. The chat is always up, and people talk all the time even if i'm not there.

It's more or less just a time that everyone knows people will more likely be on.

Asterisk
June 3, 2012, 8:00 AM
Tuesday was kind of for me, because it's one of the few days I regularly have off work.

Squee
June 5, 2012, 8:20 PM
Ah i getcha now, you mean to get the most out of a session. Feel free to add me, i tend to leave skype on.

cadderly83

ender
June 5, 2012, 8:21 PM
enderwiggen101!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Can I join?

frosencarrotz
June 5, 2012, 9:17 PM
frosencarrotz

thwalker13
June 6, 2012, 7:09 AM
Just installed it. Add me.

thwalker13

gaogaigar
June 12, 2012, 1:42 AM
Gaogaigar16 add me bros

OlNems
June 22, 2012, 10:58 AM
wnxnemesis is the name ADD ME BRAH

rumipoet
June 29, 2012, 7:48 PM
hi can you please help me i have an 18 cd box set limited edtion 02 that comes with post card and poster and a fold out figure when you open the box i cant find this anywhere else do you know anything about it thank you

Deathscythe!
July 3, 2012, 7:48 PM
hi can you please help me i have an 18 cd box set limited edtion 02 that comes with post card and poster and a fold out figure when you open the box i cant find this anywhere else do you know anything about it thank you

I imply you wanted to acquire assistance in relation to something that does not belong here. There are certain threads having the purpose of solving these issues. Additionally, articulating yourself clearly would be a helping improvement to our understanding your question ...

Zeon's RedComet
July 10, 2012, 8:05 PM
Sorry for the bit of a bump, but has there been any more talk of geting an integrated Chat box or something here on the forums, or is it still in limbo?

Joe
October 10, 2012, 9:50 PM
New account because the old one didn't take. JoesGunpla

OlNems
October 30, 2012, 7:34 PM
need a reinvite to the chat accidentally left

Deathscythe!
October 31, 2012, 11:05 AM
Speaking of which - how about us both playing Gundam EX VS against each other in a few hours ?

Zaku
May 26, 2016, 7:26 AM
so, who's throat do i need to shove a M203 barrel down to get the integrated chat system thing to actually happen? say i wont actually do it. i dare you.

Zeon's RedComet
May 27, 2016, 1:50 AM
Well I'd assume the site owners. Good luck.

Darzer
May 27, 2016, 2:39 AM
Do I even want to know?

Zaku
May 27, 2016, 3:06 AM
Well I'd assume the site owners. Good luck.

yep, and thanks man ill need it.

*diggs through a few ammo cans and only finds 203 magnesium parachute flares*
that'll work!

on a serious note though im going to bring this up again. ill PM Thwalker and see if he will E-mail the owners. if i didnt like/respect Thwalker any i would just jump right over his head and E-mail Mcgundam myself (her E-mail is in her about me section) but ill follow the proper chain of command. maybe we will get lucky and they will do it this time. closed mouths dont get fed.

Uncalledfore88
May 27, 2016, 10:01 AM
It shouldnt be that hard to implement, someone with admin console rights should be able to upload the files and install the addin... vbulletin is pretty easy to work with, if i remember correctly

Master Of Gundams
June 10, 2016, 2:38 PM
so, who's throat do i need to shove a M203 barrel down to get the integrated chat system thing to actually happen? say i wont actually do it. i dare you.

You know we can always drop a colony.

Squee
August 30, 2016, 6:43 PM
Chats are pretty bad imo, especially with the dying media that is message boards. We used to have one on GE, and pretty much the chat took over. No one posts in threads anymore when you can just spam a chat.

Zaku
August 30, 2016, 6:55 PM
I Forge Iron has a chat and people are on it a good bit but it never killed the forum. i go to the chat to ask questions that do not deserve a thread or just to hang out. it does a good job of answering the questions that are VERY common and keeping disputes off the threads.

Squee
August 30, 2016, 7:43 PM
Were you on the forum before the chat was created? Because i can almost guarantee that it caused a drop in thread activity.

Especially on a board like this, where half the members barely comment as is lol

Zaku
August 30, 2016, 7:54 PM
nope cant say i was. im sure there was a drop in thread activity but im saying they have one and it gets used and the threads get used more for updating progress on a project and less for asking the same question over and over and idle talk. we have threads for in depth discussion about painting and scratch building and stuff just like Iforgeiron.com has thread for forge welding and coal forge vs gas forge. the chat helps keep the threads on topic.

LION ZGM
August 30, 2016, 8:36 PM
I actually want to join these chats but I don't know how.

Zaku
August 30, 2016, 8:58 PM
we dont have an integrated chat yet Loin. that was what we were discussing. the only thing we have done is i made a room on Kageshi for us to use and we would do build sessions there. but it is a separate site. https://kageshi.com/rooms/zaku it is always there with or without me and ive modded a lot of the guys from the forums there so they can use it when ever for whatever.

LION ZGM
August 30, 2016, 9:36 PM
we dont have an integrated chat yet Loin. that was what we were discussing. the only thing we have done is i made a room on Kageshi for us to use and we would do build sessions there. but it is a separate site. https://kageshi.com/rooms/zaku it is always there with or without me and ive modded a lot of the guys from the forums there so they can use it when ever for whatever. Yup I can use this Thanks :)

Zeon's RedComet
August 31, 2016, 1:14 AM
Were you on the forum before the chat was created? Because i can almost guarantee that it caused a drop in thread activity.

Especially on a board like this, where half the members barely comment as is lol

Yeah that's a fair point.

But really that happens on allot of fandom forums I've been too dedicated to one thing, that isn't particularly huge in the area most the members are from. I guess it kinda varies. Same with the chat thing in general, I've seen smaller forums with a chat and also have more thread activity than I've ever seen here in five years of being here.

Personally that said I don't see much of a need for an integrated chat, between Zaku's room and things like discord it's not like there's a lack of ways for people not to get together and chat if they so choose, and since like you mention there's a good possiblity it might just end up harming the forum proper anyways, why risk it?

RubedoZwei
September 16, 2016, 1:48 AM
I do have Skype, handle ID's rubedotg