PDA

View Full Version : 1/100 MG Banshee Review!

gdx9902
April 13, 2012, 3:31 PM
Hey Guys,

I'd thought I'd share another review of the MG Banshee!
It was fun to build, but kinda disappointed with it at the end for me.

http://www.plamocon.com/index.php?/page/articles.html/_/review/kit-reviews-mg/1100-mg-banshee-gundam-r24

Hope u guys like it.

thwalker13
April 14, 2012, 10:48 PM
Nice review good sir. And I must say, after all the the reviews that I've seen. I'm rather disappointed to say that I won't be picking up this kit.

CKai Cydek
April 15, 2012, 2:06 AM
Nice review good sir. And I must say, after all the the reviews that I've seen. I'm rather disappointed to say that I won't be picking up this kit.

Nice review, and it's pretty comprehensive, though the dark blue VS black is kinda nitpicky, I think. I agree with everything else, though.

I happen to own the Unicorn Ver.Ka, so I'm well aware of the flaws with the kit, so I stiffened all the joints as best as I could, and it keeps it feeling solid even in Destroy Mode, though Unicorn Mode is still more stable.

Aside from the limited articulation, the one glaring flaw for me are the ankles. It's kinda hard to explain without showing the part itself, but look here at the manual on section 7-3: http://dalong.net/review/mg/mg102/p/mg102_mb0014.JPG

The Unicorn has 2 ankle joints that should allow it to get a lot of wide swivels, but it can't due to the outer armor's design, which is too bulky, but that's just one flaw. The more pressing issue is that notice, the joints peg in one way with the intent to swivel on that peg like a joint, but it isn't fully enclosed in the part - there should be at least 2 pegs on either part of the joint swivel to secure it properly, but there isn't (again, it's kinda hard to explain, please look it over closely), and this causes stability issues on the ankles, which is what's expected to hold the entire Gundam up. Honestly, I'm surprised the Full Armor Unicorn can actually support all it's equipment with ankles like these.

This is a fundamental engineering flaw and it's one of the reasons (the other being the limited articulation) why I think Hajime Katoki should just stick to mecha designing and leave the kit engineering to others on Bandai's payroll.

thwalker13
April 15, 2012, 11:11 AM
The ankles is just one issue that is keeping me from getting it. I want the OVA version but it seems to have some serious weight issues. Not only in the ankles, but the arms as well. I've also noticed that the legs seem a tad bit out of proportion with the rest of the Gundam. This might just be my prospective. But I have plans to paint the Banshee, so with all the flaws adding up. I don't want it to be my 1st custom paint job. I'll just get the HG kits of it to match my HG Unicorns.

Oh, CKai I tried clicking your link. But I got a 403 Forbidden.

CKai Cydek
April 15, 2012, 5:52 PM
Oh, CKai I tried clicking your link. But I got a 403 Forbidden.

D'oh! Dalong doesn't allow direct linking to the images. Go here to the Banshee Review (Info Page), and click on page 16 of the manual images:

http://dalong.net/review/mg/m154/m154_i.htm

It should illustrate the ankle joint I was talking about earlier.

thwalker13
April 16, 2012, 7:26 AM
Ah, I see what you mean. Yeah that is indeed a serious design flaw. And, I don't know if it bugs you as much as it bugs me. But why is the Armored Arms on the right arm (I can't remember if it's the VN or the BS) angled to the right? Shouldn't it be straight down the arm? Like the HGUC does.