PDA

View Full Version : Tips on doing an acrylic wash please.

WING ZERO
April 13, 2012, 3:30 PM
Hey i've never done a wash before. what do i need to know. i get the basics but as far as mixing the paint for a wash and cleaning up the edges goes tips would be appreciated.

gdx9902
April 13, 2012, 3:55 PM
Washes, are used to fill in the details of panel lines. They are usually used once your kit has been fully painted, and coated.
Before doing a wash, I would suggest using future floor wax to coat your model kit for good protection.

One thing that you do need to pay attention to is the type of thinner you are using to thin the paint for the wash. If you are using tamiya and thinning it with the tamiya thinner, then what will happen is that the thinner will eat away at the future floor wax coating and the paint beneath it. I would recommend using enamel paints such as humbrol and dilute it with zippo lighter fluid. The lighter fuild does not harm the future floor wax coating at all, and any mistakes can be easily cleaned off. Another way is to use the vallejo paints and dilute it with water, and the future floor wax will be resistant to the water.

For edge clean up, am I correct you want to do dry brushing? if so I have linked a tutorial for that here:
http://www.ghostofzeon.com/diy/detailing/dry_brushing.html

Of course for dry brushing is usually used when you weather a kit, and is done after the clear coat of future so that any mistakes can be easily corrected.

I hope this helps.

Joe
April 13, 2012, 10:06 PM
Washes are almost always done with enamel paints. Thinners for acrylics can be hell on plastic and topcoats.