PDA

View Full Version : Smokey burnt damage!

Executionervt009
April 9, 2012, 9:09 AM
Time to pick all those painters' brains out there!

Looking for a better technique to apply smokey/charred battle damage to a kit. You can't fly through THAT many explosions and not have some wear and tear on your MS.

I've done some dry brushing before but it didn't really work as I'd hoped.

Does anyone have any preferred colors to use? Tools? General techniques?

Any input is greatly appreciated!

Joe
April 9, 2012, 12:31 PM
Smokey looks are usually achieved with an airbrush and "clear Smoke" paint. You can try the old candle or match stick method, but that involves fire and can be quite dangerous if you are a clumsy cluts like me and tend to drop things randomly :-P. Basically, you hold your part you want smoked over a flame high enough that it gets smoked but not too close that it melts. PRACTICE on spare parts or a bit of runner first. I personally would just get an airbrush...

Executionervt009
April 9, 2012, 7:13 PM
I'd prefer not to set my model on fire if I can help it, and I'm very clumsy and would burn something for sure.

I was wondering about some thinned blackish/gray paint using a cotton ball doing a dry brush. Unfortunately I have not got my hands on an airbrush yet, as I'm just getting into custom painting.

Fortunately the model I'm customizing has several spare parts for testing!

Joe
April 9, 2012, 7:45 PM
The cotton ball trick might actually work. Use those spare parts and see. If you have success with it, you should try and post pictures here and share your new found knowledge! Good luck!

RX-0
April 9, 2012, 8:16 PM
what i do is take a plastic water bottle cap and hold it over a candle until there is a tiny hole in it. then i set it over the flame, this creates lots of dark smoke. hold your model pieces over the dark smoke to stain them. i understand that you dont want to burn your models but i just wanted to give you my opinion. also if you do end up doing this you will need 5-10 bottle caps they burn easy.

Joe
April 9, 2012, 10:54 PM
Melting plastic gives off toxic fumes; open your windows or go outside if you try that one. Wear a respirator or at least a mask too. It's an effective method, I'm sure, just risky as far as health and fire hazard.

gdx9902
April 13, 2012, 10:34 PM
How I do smoke damage is rather complicated, but I personally think you need an airbrush and a brush for it.

Before I apply the base color or "final color" I paint a black coat over where I want the smoke damage to appear, and then over coat the black with some smoke color.

Then I would proceed to paint the entire kit normally after that.

Once that is done, I would use a brush and dip it in thinner, dab off the thinner and dry brush thinner on the places where I have blacked. What happens is that the upper layers of paint gets brushed off while the lower black coat and smoke will start to show thru.

It is a bit intensive, but I find that this method gives me the best results, since depending on the bristle strength I can control the fading on the paint, etc.

Executionervt009
April 15, 2012, 10:05 PM
:::UPDATE:::

I ended up using a combination of edging, drybrushing, and cotton balls to get my effect. Painting around the outside of the pieces and along the main lines helps get a main point of color, and using drybrushing and smudging it out with the cotton balls made for a nice effect. I used a combination of Tamiya Black and Tamiya Dark Gray, thinned out slightly with a tiny bit of water for the smoke damage, and Tamiya Chrome Silver for the metal weathering.

Thanks everyone for their ideas and imput! No pictures yet, I forgot to take them before and after painting. I should have the finished product done tomarrow, and Ill post some pics then!