PDA

View Full Version : Black Tri-Stars are hicks?

01Heero
April 7, 2012, 7:24 PM
I have been trying to figure out why the english dub of Mobile Suit Gundam would make an elite mobile suit team sound like they were from the darkest part of Mississippi. Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Joe
April 7, 2012, 8:20 PM
I've always wondered this myself. I know a lot of dub companies will interpret various Japanese via geographic location of Japan. I've seen a few anime's where a character is said to be from Osaka which is in southern Japan and they are dubbed with a southern redneck/hillbilly American accent. Perhaps the Japanese Black Tri-Star team had Southern Japan accents? Idk, but I would love for someone to re-dub those episodes.

Kenico
April 7, 2012, 9:50 PM
EXCUSE ME???!!!! And what makes you think that being in the Darkest parts of Mississippi (AKA, the Boondocks (or wooded part) of Mississippi) makes you a Hick???? FYI: I AM from the Darkest Parts of Mississippi and i have a neutral accent. And ill have you know down in Mississippi, We dont have Hillbillies! We may have Rednecks (which for the record im not), but we sure as hell dont have hillbillies! West Virginia have em, Arkansas has em, North Western Virginia has em, heck even Kentucky and Tennessee have em, but NOT Mississippi! Hence the word: HILLbillies!

(Rant over...poising to Drop Remnants of Texas Colony over 01heero)

Speaking of Texas Colony, The black tri-stars sounded more like Texans than Hillbilly/Rednecks.

Joe
April 8, 2012, 1:45 AM
Dude, chill, he didn't mean it as an insult. He didn't say anything bad about "hillbillies" and yes, I know Hillbillies are "Hill Folk" usually from from Appalachia and the Ozarks... But seriously, it's cool, bro, it's cool.

I would say they have a mix in there of Texas, Arkansas, and Southern Illinois... "I ain't no dog-gone springboard"

Zeon's RedComet
April 8, 2012, 2:49 AM
Oh so Rednecks can’t Pilot mobile suits now? And Zeon dosen’t discriminate.

*Throws in Back Half of Axis to Assist Kenyon’s Texas Drop*

Need to make sure we get the job done right.

But Yeah I like their voices but that's jsut me.

Joe
April 8, 2012, 1:04 PM
*sigh*That's not what anyone is saying, either.

I can't speak for the opening poster, but I feel the voices are a bit out of place, not necessarily because of the type of accent. But seriously, go back and listen to that dub, it's awful! If they want to put some southern twang into it, that's fine! But the accent in the show is almost comical, it goes too far; so far in fact, it's almost as if they are making fun of the accent. Can you at least agree to that?

01Heero
April 8, 2012, 5:31 PM
I didn't mean to offend anyone. If I did I apologize. I only wrote Mississippi because that was the first southern state that came to mind. What I was trying to say is that everytime I hear their voices it sounds like they should have jugs with the three x's on them filled with moonshine. It just seems so out of place with the tone of the show.

Kenico
April 8, 2012, 9:56 PM
At Joe: Yes, i can agree that they are poking fun at the southern Drawl. *but im still keeping an eye on both you and 01heero*

At 01heero: apollogy accepted. and yes Mississippi makes the Best moonshine in the world. my Grandpa (on my mothers side) used to bootleg the stuff. Note: never drank the stuff...and never met the guy (died b4 i was born). sorry about my rant, i just get ticked off when ordinary people take the wrong impression from Mississippi folk, thinking that we are all dumb rednecks (SOME are rednecks, not all, and we sure as heck are not Hillbillies). Thanks alot Yankees! There...my rant is officaill over, ive made my peace, and im lettin it go!!

At ZRC: Pull Axis and your troops from the area, out.

(pulling Texas Colony and troops from 01heero's place out)

Joe
April 9, 2012, 12:36 PM
Dude, half my family on my mom's side and ALL of my dad's side speak with a good amount of twang. I'm a little offended by the Black Tri Star dub. Nothing wrong with some southern drawl! Reminds me of home! By the way, homemade moonshine, mm-mm-mm-mm-mmmmm. Truely, there is no better than Granny's moonshine! OH! And dandelion wine, if you've got Southern roots, get an aunt/uncle/grandparent to make you some of that.

Kenico
April 9, 2012, 2:17 PM
Truthfully if they redid the Dub so they sounded more like they were from Texas, it would make more sense. (dont ask me why Texas, cause i was always under the impression that they were from Texan origin.) think about it: All Three have that Confidence, One of them Has an appearence that reminds me of John Wayne (the only guy i believe that could take on Bruce Lee AND Chuck Norris...And WIN.), and i just have that Gut feeling about em.

Also, i cant argue with Grandmas moonshine, no body can do it better than Grandma (sadly, my mamaw (grandma on my mothers side) couldnt do it to save her life, and my Grandma (grandma on my fathers side) was sweedish (as in literally she imigrated from sweeden) and a ditz. in other words sadly, i didnt have grandmas that made Good Moonshine, but i do think i had a couple of Uncles (from both sides) that made moonshine.

Interesting to know: even though ive been living down in Mississippi for almost my entire life, i have never heard of dandelion wine. Go figure lol.

Back on topic: Yeah that Southern Drawl (as in the complet Butchery of it) should get a complete makeover and heres to hopin they do one day.

Joe
April 9, 2012, 4:32 PM
Truthfully if they redid the Dub so they sounded more like they were from Texas, it would make more sense. (dont ask me why Texas, cause i was always under the impression that they were from Texan origin.) think about it: All Three have that Confidence, One of them Has an appearence that reminds me of John Wayne (the only guy i believe that could take on Bruce Lee AND Chuck Norris...And WIN.), and i just have that Gut feeling about em..

Agreed, that tough-Texan-don't-take-no-crap-from-no-Feddie-scum accent would be great!

Kenico
April 9, 2012, 6:26 PM
Amen to that brother Hooah!

Deathscythe!
April 9, 2012, 6:58 PM
EXCUSE ME???!!!! And what makes you think that being in the Darkest parts of Mississippi (AKA, the Boondocks (or wooded part) of Mississippi) makes you a Hick???? FYI: I AM from the Darkest Parts of Mississippi and i have a neutral accent. And ill have you know down in Mississippi, We dont have Hillbillies! We may have Rednecks (which for the record im not), but we sure as hell dont have hillbillies! West Virginia have em, Arkansas has em, North Western Virginia has em, heck even Kentucky and Tennessee have em, but NOT Mississippi! Hence the word: HILLbillies!

(Rant over...poising to Drop Remnants of Texas Colony over 01heero)

Speaking of Texas Colony, The black tri-stars sounded more like Texans than Hillbilly/Rednecks.

:D :D ... No sooner had I read this , than I had to look it up since I had not acknowledged (I had heard it before , but i did not know it) . Ever since then , I have been laughing . I expected (and I knew) that it was related with "retards" (sorry for this bad expression ) but I did not expect this (mentioned content will be posted later*1) while I was browsing through the web :

*1 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:HillbillyHotDogs.jpg

You should see my rolling over the floor laughing :D :D ... seriously , I am being made laugh right now

djtlite138
April 14, 2012, 7:59 PM
i'm just glad cajuns havent been used that way in gundam yet. i die a little when my gf watches bayou billionaires or my redneck vacation... every time they do something stupid she just looks at me as if to say "these are your people". if we were watching swamp people i'd own up to it cuz they are my people on that show but the other two shows don't have real cajuns! heck, i've got uncles who could likely be on that show and my dad once killed a gator right in front of me as it was coming after me. but the others are just rednecks. and not the kind i'd associate with. as for the texan thing. i am a cajun but was raised in texas (would go to louisiana for the summer) so my accent is texan. okies make fun of me though because even though the accent is texan, some words will always be pronounced as though i came from the bayou.

SilverFrameAstray
April 15, 2012, 2:43 PM
i'm just glad cajuns havent been used that way in gundam yet. i die a little when my gf watches bayou billionaires or my redneck vacation... every time they do something stupid she just looks at me as if to say "these are your people". if we were watching swamp people i'd own up to it cuz they are my people on that show but the other two shows don't have real cajuns! heck, i've got uncles who could likely be on that show and my dad once killed a gator right in front of me as it was coming after me. but the others are just rednecks. and not the kind i'd associate with. as for the texan thing. i am a cajun but was raised in texas (would go to louisiana for the summer) so my accent is texan. okies make fun of me though because even though the accent is texan, some words will always be pronounced as though i came from the bayou.

It's all good man. I'm from Germany European associations are quite similar.

Zeon's RedComet
April 28, 2012, 11:22 PM
*Get's Kenyon's Memo Late* "Opps we droped Axis about a week or two before we got the, oh never mind,"

Anyhow I was fine with the dub my self, it was a bit much but it made it seem like there was some varity with Mobile Suit pilots lol.

Joe
August 6, 2012, 8:28 AM
swark34, this threads kind of dead, don't you think? that last post was in April. Also, if you've read the entire thread you'll see that this topic was a little offensive to some of our guests at first. best to just let this thread be dead and gone.

swark34
August 6, 2012, 11:34 AM
yea i just started usingite a few days ago so im stil kinda new..but i think its cool that other people love gundam as much as i do