PDA

View Full Version : Perfect Grade Questions, Who's done one? Who's snap built? Who's Painted?

WING ZERO
April 3, 2012, 1:08 AM
Has anyone on here done a PG? are you a person who normally paints your kits? did you paint your PG? Why didn't you? Why did you?

I plan on painting my PGs but i'm just curious about what the respected forum followers did with there PGs if they have done them.

Asterisk
April 3, 2012, 6:24 AM
While I want at least a PG Strike, I've never been able to justify the price of ANY PG I've ever seen.

Being a responsible adult sucks sometimes. =/

thwalker13
April 3, 2012, 7:09 AM
100% Agree with everything Asterisk just said. However one day I will own a PG Strike Freedom.

gdx9902
April 3, 2012, 8:04 AM
ditto to what asterisk said.

I personally have built only 1 PG, which is the Wing Zero Custom PG, which I got as a gift. After it was built, I looked at the scale and decided not to paint it, for several reasons:
1) the sheer number of parts I have to paint, to my standards, are a lot more than any MG or 1/144( translation: I am too lazy to paint it)
2) the time I would need to paint the PG would take me a long while ( again translation: i am too lazy paint it)
3) From the cost factor, I could get a couple of MG's for a price of a PG. (translation: I'm cheap and no money to spend)

After it was built, I was kind of impressed by it, but I don't forsee myself building+painting anymore PG's in the future.

Asterisk
April 3, 2012, 8:18 AM
Yeah, painting a PG would be an enormous task for me since I hand-paint. I have 2 of the Mega-Scale models, and honestly doubt I'll paint those.

thwalker13
April 3, 2012, 8:38 AM
I plan on doing a custom paint job on a PG Strike Freedom. However that project will basically be after I get all current MG or HG kits that I want. Which is a long list. lol

om3rta
April 3, 2012, 9:56 AM
I built a PG Strike before I got into painting. It took about 6 hours to snap it together out of the box. This is before I cared at all about nubs and making the kit look snazzy. Pretty much snapped together straight off the runners. That doesn't count decals, either, which I still haven't finished.

I did have plans to pick up a PG GP01 to try painting, but I really don't have time for that sort of huge commitment.

WING ZERO
April 3, 2012, 9:57 AM
My stand point is if i'm paying this much for a kit i feel like if i don't paint it i'm wasting it, but yes if you are hand painting everything that would be a serious task ahead of you. but i don't plan on painting the inner frame at all just all of the armor just out of fear that i wouldn't be able to put it together if i cut all the pieces out and hoped i used the right ones.

thwalker13
April 3, 2012, 10:18 AM
My OCD for organization would get the better of me in that spot. I'd have each piece placed according to what runner it came out of and probably organized to where I knew exactly which piece is what.

Amuro Ray
April 3, 2012, 10:30 AM
I just don't think I'll ever be able to justify the cost of a PG model. My wife got me a MG Epyon for Christmas and that was a lot for one kit on our income so I think the chances of me ever getting a PG kit of any Gundam are very slim.

CKai Cydek
April 3, 2012, 11:49 AM
I just don't think I'll ever be able to justify the cost of a PG model. My wife got me a MG Epyon for Christmas and that was a lot for one kit on our income so I think the chances of me ever getting a PG kit of any Gundam are very slim.

Pshaw! PGs are overrated, if you ask me. MGs are plenty fun to put together & very satisfying to complete! PGs are what you spoil yourself on once you get rich, like Lambos & rocket launchers. Your MG Epyon is a pretty cool gift, I have to say :)

thwalker13
April 3, 2012, 11:57 AM
I would spoil myself on a PG only once. I'd get one PG kit and that would be it. Though I'd still continue to get MG kits.

WING ZERO
April 3, 2012, 3:49 PM
i thought about if i did i would just put tape with the runner and part# on it but idk i don't really think the inner frames need paint most the time unless you're doing PG strike freedom or a red frame astray might look nice with a candy sparkle red frame

thwalker13
April 3, 2012, 3:53 PM
Yeah, that's where I'm screwed. Cause the PG that I want, is the Strike Freedom. So every single piece is going to need paint. But I'd say as long as you took your time and made sure you kept track record of each part it wouldn't be that bad.

WING ZERO
April 3, 2012, 3:56 PM
well who cares if it all needs paint that just means you get to enjoy it that much longer lol

Executionervt009
April 3, 2012, 4:38 PM
The only PG I've built is the Strike Gundam with the Aile/Skygrapser add-on. I did not paint it, but I was careful to trim each piece as to not leave nubs or anything, so it did take me a while. I still intend to do some panel lining, but as far as I'm concerned it looks perfectly fine without paint just stock colors out of the box. It actually wasn't as bad to build as I thought it would be either, there's a ton of pieces, but they're generally bigger than an MG so its not bad fitting them together.
For me, it was totally worth it, I love the Aile Strike, it was my very first kit as an HG, and in all its PG magnificence, its a very nice centerpiece for my collection. Overall, I'll probably stick to MG's if for nothing else but the cost factor. I'd love to build more PG's like a MK. II or GP01, but that's a lot of cash!

WING ZERO
April 3, 2012, 4:41 PM
is Aile Strike pronounced like a grocery aisle? sorry i have not seen the series so idk

Executionervt009
April 3, 2012, 4:47 PM
I think its supposed to be pronounces Aile as in 'ale' like the beer.

thwalker13
April 3, 2012, 6:27 PM
Executioner would be correct on the pronunciation.

om3rta
April 3, 2012, 7:58 PM
I got the PG Skygrasper + Aile Striker as well. It's been a long time, but I'm still hoping that they put out the sword and launcher packs.

CKai Cydek
April 4, 2012, 4:16 AM
I got the PG Skygrasper + Aile Striker as well. It's been a long time, but I'm still hoping that they put out the sword and launcher packs.

Bandai actually did show off painted prototypes of the PG Sword & Launcher Packs at a convention once. It was never put into production due to lack of interest, I think? Same reason they never got the MG Maxter, Dragon & Nobell Gundams past the prototype stage.

Sad, but true.

WING ZERO
April 4, 2012, 10:21 AM
i would have bought them, is that not enough? LOL

jayhat100
April 13, 2012, 12:03 PM
A perfect grade would be fun to build but the cost is way to much. Mabye after i finish the 3 mg's i want to build.

Zeta
April 13, 2012, 12:53 PM
A perfect grade would be fun to build but the cost is way to much. Mabye after i finish the 3 mg's i want to build.

I've built 5 master grades, and honestly I don't see any reason to get a PG.

jayhat100
April 13, 2012, 2:24 PM
I've built 5 master grades, and honestly I don't see any reason to get a PG.

Don't get me wrong i prefer building the mg's, the are plenty detailed and great to build, but i've seen the perfect grades set up and displayed at comic-con and there pretty cool. i would only build one because the cost of these things is way to much to make it a habbit.

om3rta
April 13, 2012, 3:17 PM
I think it's worth trying out just once. You can't really knock it before you try it, as they say. The PG Wing Custom is fairly inexpensive now. I know it's not the best, but it's something. I really want to get the PG GP01, and maybe the MKII. Some of the PGs are ridiculously expensive, though, like the Strike Freedom. I don't know if I woulds shell out $300 for a model.

WING ZERO
April 13, 2012, 3:27 PM
once i finish my deathscythe which should be tonight, i'm gonna dive into one of my PG's but i don't know which one. the Wing Zero Custom or MK.II.

COOFFBLACK
March 1, 2014, 7:27 PM
Has anyone on here done a PG? are you a person who normally paints your kits? did you paint your PG? Why didn't you? Why did you?

I plan on painting my PGs but i'm just curious about what the respected forum followers did with there PGs if they have done them.

Reviving this thread a bit.

I told myself, I'll build it and do the decals, satisfaction reached! However, I started to do weathering on the guy and now I want to take it apart, glue everything and paint it... -_-

Really PG's are too nice to just sit stock imho... I think anyone who gets PG's should really just spend the time to perfect them, hence "PERFECT" grade LOL