PDA

View Full Version : Which Kits do you think are overrated?

WING ZERO
March 15, 2012, 10:11 AM
hey everyone just post and discuss which kits you think are the most overrated i have not built any that people are awesome that i thought sucked but i wanna here if there are any that you guys thought sucked that are pretty hyped.

thwalker13
March 15, 2012, 8:17 PM
Really I have not built any hyped up kits that I thought sucked. I will go on record and say that I feel that the MG GP02A was a rather disappointment. There are so many large parts that it's joints just cannot handle the weight. The shoulder binders, the shield, it's own legs. They are all weight problems. I was rather disappointed in it. Granted it is an old kit. But I probably would not recommend it.

On the opposite foot. I do believe that there are kits out there that are underrated. I have a HGUC kit called Bawoo. (link below) If Bandai released a MG kit of it. I'd preorder it the next day. I love that kit. Yet I have never heard of anyone ever mention it.

http://static.hlj.com/images/ban/ban77626.gif

WING ZERO
March 15, 2012, 8:36 PM
i can't say i have ever seen that kit before before im kinda a rook. it reminds me a the taurus in a way on G Wing.

thwalker13
March 15, 2012, 9:09 PM
I bought it on impulse. I had never seen or heard of it. But I thought it looked cool. And it turned out to be a really great kit. But back on topic.

I did think of the HGUC Unicorn Gundams. I bought both Unicorn and Destroy mode. And frankly, I was not impressed. All the joints seem to be lose and the heads were not attached very well so they kinda just flop around. Really after building the 2, I had wished I had bought the MG.

WING ZERO
March 15, 2012, 9:16 PM
I have not done any HGs yet but i have a few waiting to be painted and i can already tell that the HG wing gundam is gonna be crap but it will be a good experiment i guess so thats my disappointment but i got the MG so who cares.

thwalker13
March 15, 2012, 9:42 PM
I bought the HG 1/100 Nataku from Endless Waltz. After it was done I went to stand it up. And it fell over backwards at the knees. The joints are so loose that it will not stand on its own. Worst kit I ever bought. I am desperately hoping that Bandai releases a MG kit so that Nataku gets a good kit in my collection.

WING ZERO
March 15, 2012, 10:00 PM
oh good to know i really want the HG shenlong and nataku but if they suck then maybe not.

this is exactly why i started this thread to know things like that lol

am i the only one who wishes they would have done MG of the regular versions oh Shenlong, Deathscythe etc because the only one i like is heavy arms and sand rock seems pretty much exactly the same just different color scheme

thwalker13
March 16, 2012, 1:31 AM
I'm sure you're not the only one. But I am planning on getting all 5 Endless Waltz OVA Gundams in MG form when Bandai releases them.

WING ZERO
March 16, 2012, 1:39 AM
oh me to thats my dream and being since wing and G Gundam were the two series that got me in love with Gundam i really want some more G Gundam MG's

except i think i would rather see the original gundams from wing be MG'd before the rest of the OVA's but idk i love them all but the EW's im just not a fan of (except H-Arms)

thwalker13
March 16, 2012, 1:40 AM
Never could get into that series. Just didn't interest me.

Joe
March 16, 2012, 3:05 AM
I haven't had any problems with my MG GP-02a or ANY of the 1/100 Wing or EW kits as far looseness goes thanks to the super-glue-on-the-joints trick.

As far as kits that are WAY HYPED and then disappointed me... I am going to get flack for this...
Master Grade Sinanju. The engineering is cool, yeah, but it's not anything unseen before or since. The design looks amazing, but that's not the kit, that's the design. What made this so disappoint was the gold decals and all the markings and dry transfers... my god! Those gold decals just cracked and split and tore no matter how gentle I was with them. The kit is still not done. I ended up buying metal decals for all the gold trim and haven't gotten the nerve to go back to the kit.

My fiance will tell you the MG ReZel is another overrated kit because the transformation just frustrated her to no end.

squeam
March 16, 2012, 6:33 AM
I'm inclined to agree with the Sinanju thing. I think it is a great kit, with wonderful articulation and super smexy good looks. But people hype it SO much. I've heard many Gunplars call it "the best MG ever made"; I disagree. I place a lot of value on...value. That and good engineering. A kit like the MG Wing Gundam from 2 years ago is more impressive in my opinion, because it does (almost) everything perfectly. It looks perfect, has an intuitive and un-frustrating build process, is well-articulated and does all of this with hardly any extra work. Straight out-of-the-box near perfection at a decent price, who can argue with that?

thwalker13
March 16, 2012, 7:43 AM
I had actually considered picking up the MG Sinanju. But from the sounds of it I'd need to do quiet a bit of gold trim painting to make it look good.

CKai Cydek
March 16, 2012, 8:55 AM
I had actually considered picking up the MG Sinanju. But from the sounds of it I'd need to do quiet a bit of gold trim painting to make it look good.

Yes, the Sinanju does require considerable work to get it to look great, but it's well worth it if you're willing to go the whole nine yards, believe me. I also agree that it's a bit over-hyped, but I suspect it's the opinion of many people who're coming off the high they get when the successfully assemble it with all decal applications & paint apps complete. In that regard, I can personally attest to the appeal - once you're done with the Sinanju & you've spruced it up to the max, you're gonna feel like a Gunpla Meister for sure.

One kit I feel is over-hyped by Bandai is the MG Unicorn - Katoki did a great job with it, but it's still quite problematic, but nothing a bit of effort can't fix for the most part. I just wish Katoki had thought out the design & the kit engineering a bit better. The Real Grade RX-78-2 Gundam is also a tad over-hyped as well. It's not nearly as solid as many people claim, but it's not a bad kit by a long stretch. It's just that this is the kit Bandai advertised as getting a new generation of modelers into the hobby, and I have to soundly disagree. This will probably frustrate more newcomers than some MGs I would care to name. Again, this is a kit that needs a bit of work to get it to get it at it's best.

squeam
March 16, 2012, 9:38 AM
@CKai: Agree. Agree. Agree.

Sinanju is by NO means a bad/weak kit; it's just so over-glorified sometimes. MG Unicorn is just something I don't get. I mean, I have one....but I don't think I'd ever buy another. I see peeps buying duplicates of it and, no offense, but why? So many other wonderful MGs you could get for the price! I feel Aile Strike and Freedom put the RG RX to shame in terms of solidity and build experience. And there is no understating the fact that RGs are comprised of a multitude of miniscule and at times finicky pieces that could really be frustrating for a newer builder.

Also, HGUC Juagg - it being molded is over-hype.

WING ZERO
March 16, 2012, 10:16 AM
i am glad someone brought up sinanju because honestly like i probably won't buy one because i just don't understand why everyone loves it granted i have not seen that series but idk i just don't really care for it. all the kits i have built and painted i have alot of affection for because of the series so all the newer series kits i just don't have interest in yet for some reason.

Red
March 16, 2012, 11:44 AM
I guess it really is a matter of opinion and taste but a lot of good points were brought up in this thread. I agree that the MG Sinanju is over-hyped. Like people have said, it suffers from all of those decals. If Bandai really wanted to go all out with it they could have made the trim their own piece that you attach under the black pieces. But I also like to think of it as some kind of crazy gauntlet that Bandai cooked up for more experienced builders of gunpla. I feel that the MG Victory Ver. Ka is a bit overrated because of how insecure it is when being handled. I'm mainly talking about the legs because the pegs do not go as far into the holes as you think.

@WING ZERO: I think many people like the Sinanju simply because of how menacing it looks just standing there. And despite its large size it's pretty poseable. Sure it's over-hyped but it's by no means a bad kit. But granted you haven't seen it in the Unicorn OVA I can understand your lack of interest.

Asterisk
March 16, 2012, 11:52 AM
Pssh, Sinanjus. Who cares about the Sinanju? (I do. Seriously.) It's an awesome design, but the work was insane.
My addition to this list? The HGUC Unicorn Destroy Mode. Mine is so fiddly it falls apart if you look at it wrong.

Red
March 16, 2012, 1:34 PM
I came really close to getting the HGUC Unicorn Destroy mode. Two kits that I find underrated are the HGUC Z'Gok and GM III. Both are pretty poseable and the latter's look really grew on me.

CKai Cydek
March 16, 2012, 2:39 PM
I feel that the MG Victory Ver. Ka is a bit overrated because of how insecure it is when being handled. I'm mainly talking about the legs because the pegs do not go as far into the holes as you think.

Wait...was it really over-hyped? By Bandai? I do recall soon after it came out everyone & their brother were cursing it to hell :/

I'm glad that Bandai seems to be taking their time with the V2. I sincerely hope they perfect it (just keep it away from Katoki!), as it's one of my favorite classic Gundams.

WING ZERO
March 16, 2012, 3:24 PM
besides painting the sinanju is there something exceedingly difficult about it or is that pretty much it?

squeam
March 16, 2012, 3:42 PM
@CKai: I feel that the Victory kinda flew under the radar a bit. I'm building the V-Dash version and have being enjoying it --- except for the repetitiveness. And I haven't personally heard a lot of positive response or negative ones, either; it just kinda came out to a big ol' "meh".

@WING ZERO: Just the painting on the Sinanju. The rest of it is very good.

WING ZERO
March 16, 2012, 3:48 PM
well maybe i will have to try painting it if its so difficult but im gonna have to watch the series or ova or whatever its in first before i give my final verdict on if i like the suit

CKai Cydek
March 16, 2012, 4:21 PM
@CKai: I feel that the Victory kinda flew under the radar a bit. I'm building the V-Dash version and have being enjoying it --- except for the repetitiveness. And I haven't personally heard a lot of positive response or negative ones, either; it just kinda came out to a big ol' "meh".

Well, I've been apprehensive at the Victory's notoriety, but I'd like to hear your take on it. Please put up a review when you can! :)

Red
March 16, 2012, 6:08 PM
Wait...was it really over-hyped? By Bandai? I do recall soon after it came out everyone & their brother were cursing it to hell :/
Well I've heard some people praising it online so I thought I would pick one up myself. It's a cool kit and all, but it's just those freaking legs.

WING ZERO
March 16, 2012, 8:59 PM
from looking at only the picture on the box of it it seems like his legs are to wide for the rest of him. maybe bigger shoulders would cancel it out but he seems to have weird proportions.