PDA

View Full Version : Where do you buy your paint?

Tireas
March 12, 2012, 1:24 PM
Cause the store I used to buy from in town closed... And I could order Tamiya TS paints in any color I wanted, but now that they're gone I'm out of Pure White (TS26) and I can't seem to find any online stores that carry a good supply... They seem to have a very limited color run or end up carrying mostly Polycarbonate (PS) paints...
Any links or anyone willing to middle man some paint would be awesome.

Oh and I've already tried the Tamiya-USA website, which seemed to be picked clean of any good colors, and I've looked at a few other random hobby websites with no luck...

Thanks guys.

Zappit
March 12, 2012, 5:15 PM
Check out Citadel paints. They're all over Amazon - tons of colors, and there are some kits with multiple jars. They're good acrylics. The prices I'm seeing for the jars are pretty reasonable compared to the prices in my local game store, so the shipping would pretty much balance that part out.

squeam
March 12, 2012, 10:31 PM
Try megahobby.com

Joe
March 12, 2012, 11:27 PM
WOW! Just checked that store, Squeam! They have all the paints that I could ever want. I'm getting ready to start airbrushing, so I'm getting some alclad II lacquer products (which I recently found out the majority of them are not actually lacquers but are enamels and acrylics, "lacquer" is actually part of the name of the company; "Alclad II Lacquer").

I'm going to use the Spectral Chrome on Gundam X's Satellite Cannon fins...

Zeta
March 12, 2012, 11:39 PM
So what you're going to do is is get that shiny finish on the Gundam X's fins so that they look like the box art photos.

Joe
March 13, 2012, 2:54 AM
Well, I don't like the foil stickers and now I know there is access to a paint that can kind of mimic those stickers.

Tireas
March 13, 2012, 10:42 PM
I'm looking for a rattle can paint sadly, if I knew how to airbrush or could hand paint well my options would be a little more open.
I've ordered a few from megahobby recently here, but they don't have white... Why the hell don't they have white!?!?!

WING ZERO
March 16, 2012, 4:10 PM
dude airbrushing is not hard.... if you can rattle can you can airbrush. it just of matter of diving head first into it.

Joe
March 16, 2012, 10:44 PM
dude airbrushing is not hard.... if you can rattle can you can airbrush. it just of matter of diving head first into it.

It's a matter of money too, though. A decent airbrush can be anywhere from $70 on up to... Well, I've seen ridiculous prices for an airbrush. then there's the compressor to worry about which is even more expensive. Yes, you can go cheap with an airbrush and use compressed air, but if you're going to do it, do it right, IMHO. Friends don't let friends use Aztecs...

WING ZERO
March 16, 2012, 10:53 PM
i have an aztek lol and.... it was defective..... and i have to wait one more week to get it back.... lol but its the best air brush my hobby shop carries and they said its a good brush for doing what im doing so i trusted them lol and besides the part about my double action being defective and only acting as a single action pretty much i thought it worked great.

Tireas
March 20, 2012, 10:09 PM
Well it's also a matter of space, unfortunately I don't have enough room to keep a airbrush set up. My garage holds two vehicles during the summer and then the winter is way too cold, gotta love living in North Dakota.
I'd have to build a small paint booth to route out a window, but then I'm spending a lot more then what I'd like to.