PDA

View Full Version : RG Freedom

thwalker13
March 11, 2012, 2:43 PM
So after a couple weeks I finally finished my RG Freedom Gundam. And I just thought that I would share some pics and my thoughts on it.

Initial Build: Throughout the entire build of this kit I found myself blown away at how much articulation and detail was in this thing. The advanced MS Joint System is simply amazing. I was amazed at the fact that there is absolutely zero polycaps in this kit. And yet you can still achieve 180 degree bends at the knees and elbows.

Detail and Articulation: Another thing that blew my mind was the amount of detail and articulation on a kit this small. For a 1/144 scale kit, and to have the same if not more detail than a MG kit is amazing. In my opinion I think that every new MG kit needs it's own version of the MS Joint System.

Ease of Build: This kit was amazing simple and easy to put together. I will go on record and say that there are a lot of small parts to this kit. As I would imagine is the same for every RG kit. That being said great care must be taken not to break the smaller parts like the MG style manipulators and other parts. Like the face plate with the vents cut out. Mine almost broke in half while I was trying to get it off the plate. Luckily it held together long enough for me to get it on the head. Another gripe is the amount of stickers. Normally I don't use a lot of them. But I decided to here. The ones that got on my nerves the most are the bronze joint stickers. I couldn't get them to stay put for nothing. So I just said to hell with them.

Pose-ability: With all the moving parts this kit has there really is not a pose you can't put this guy in. But, there is a problem with that. The pose that you'll see in the pics below took me about 10 mins to get. For the fact of if move one thing, something else moves. And it's hard to work the rail guns so that they don't hit the V-Fins. But if you work with it, there is nothing you can't get.

Overall: This was my 1st RG kit. So I really was not sure how I would enjoy and like the RG line. However I must that after I finally got this kit done, I'm sold. The amount of detail this kit has is amazing. It's easy to build, yet has the potential to look amazing with very little work. So as long as you know what you're doing, and take your time. The RG Freedom will not disappoint. For anyone who has built a RG kit or to anyone who hasn't. I'd recommend this kit. And now, the pics.

http://i570.photobucket.com/albums/ss149/txwalker13/Gunpla/f31a7b4e.jpg

http://i570.photobucket.com/albums/ss149/txwalker13/Gunpla/96d8f329.jpg

http://i570.photobucket.com/albums/ss149/txwalker13/Gunpla/bc3f2c16.jpg

http://i570.photobucket.com/albums/ss149/txwalker13/Gunpla/daf2d643.jpg

Wiltonican
March 11, 2012, 4:10 PM
Awesome. Good work. Nice write-up. Are there any room for any light kits for an RG? I imagine there's so many pieces/detail that there wouldn't be.

I was thinking of picking this one up. Now... I might do just that. Well, AFTER my project. I can only do one at a time. hehe

Red
March 11, 2012, 4:18 PM
Dem wings. Oh man dem wings. I have to say, the Freedom and Strike both really benefited fro the RG treatment. Good work.

thwalker13
March 11, 2012, 9:09 PM
Lights? Hmm, I don't know. There really isn't a lot of room for much with this kit. Though very detail I'd say that there would need to be a lot of things cut out in order to make room for LEDs and wiring.

jayhat100
March 13, 2012, 5:32 PM
Very nice. Do you panel line with a gundam marker or wash?

thwalker13
March 13, 2012, 8:58 PM
I use a Gundam Marker. Best buy I've ever made for Gunpla. And there is a ton of lining opportunities on this guy. But amazingly not that much on the beam rifle. I was rather disappointed in that it looks so plain compared to the MS.

curtiusm
March 16, 2012, 10:30 AM
Nice build and write up, I wouldn't mind picking one up myself.

thwalker13
March 16, 2012, 4:23 PM
This was my intro into the RG line. And I was impressed. I plan on getting the Strike, Skygrasper, RX78-2, and Char's Zaku II.

Silver78
March 18, 2012, 1:33 AM
Ahh, nicely done mate. I see you skipped the "metal-like" sticker is that right?

thwalker13
March 18, 2012, 2:53 AM
If you are referring to the ones that are supposed to be on the elbow and knee joints, yes. I had applied them but they did not want to stay put. After about the 3rd time reapplying them. I tore them off. I just got sick and tired of putting them on. So I decided to do without them. Next time I'm at my local hobby store, if they have it, I might pick up some bronze paint and paint them on.

Silver78
March 18, 2012, 4:32 AM
Silver would like good too IMO, like the Infinite Justice but I think bronze works as well. It be bad to paint it gold over it since it be similar to the SF scheme. But creativity doesn't kill anyone. Cheers

thwalker13
March 18, 2012, 11:17 AM
Yeah I started to use my gold Gundam marker, but then I remembered the Strike Freedom and it's gold inner frame. And I don't want the Freedom to look like it's big brother. So I may see about finding some bronze paint.

Freedom
March 22, 2012, 11:39 PM
@thwalker13 it looks great! just wondering did u do apply new coat of paint on it or its just exactly as factory-shipped?
Im definitely eyeing on RG freedom and strike. MG for me is just kinda huge for my display at the moment.

thwalker13
March 23, 2012, 7:43 AM
My Freedom has no paint or top coat. All I did was apply the stock decals and some panel lining with my Gundam Marker. I put it in a new pose the other night. I'll try to get some pics up for you guys.

DrNubs
June 7, 2013, 12:47 AM
I'm guessing this kit doesn't come with waterslides? I saw a blog earlier and some guy had waterslides included with his kit :S

UPDATE: Nvm, apparently the guy ordered his waterslides from samuel decals.

I've always loved the Strike Freedom but after looking at the models of both the regular and strike. The regular looks a lot better compared to the strike. Mostly because the wings of the regular freedom gives more of a "Angel" like feel than the strike which just comes out to dragoons and I mean compared to the anime it looks horrible with the dragoons out in the MG series. It's probably because there are no effects from the wings once the dragoons are out.

thwalker13
June 7, 2013, 7:48 AM
If effect is what you're looking for, then take a look at my Strike Freedom. I prefer the wings to the regular Freedom, but some of the body parts and functions of the Strike Freedom. I'd like to do a kitbash and combine the 2.

http://www.gundamforums.com/showthread.php/4816-MG-Strike-Freedom-FBM-Pics-and-Review

marshy
June 11, 2013, 7:40 PM
Awsome just like mine I like how yours look :)