PDA

View Full Version : Okay Worst Ever

GNzaku0023
October 20, 2010, 11:53 PM
Name the kit you've had the worst Experience building and how bad it looked afterward.

Also list your top 5 least favorite/ugliest mobilesuits/gundams/mobile armor. You can have more than one for each category, and due to the epic fail that is G-Gundam, you are only allowed to pick one design from that series.

Worst experience building had to be my 1/144 Epyon Gundam back when I was a kid. I had the hobby knife stab me in the finger, the stickers wouldn't stay on correctly, and all of the parts were loose and wobbly afterward.

top 5 least favorites:
1. Nether Gundam
2. Tallgeese II
3. Zock
4. Ball
5. GM

Zeta-G
October 20, 2010, 11:59 PM
My non-grade 1/144 wing kits all look like crap. Not hard in the least, but they looked like crap.
My MG Full Armor Double Zeta gave me the most problems (weight issues, parts popping off, poor stability, you name it); it also looks the worst out of my master grades due to: a) being my first MG and b) its poor stability causing it to go splat on a hard floor far too many times. It is the only one of my MGs banished to its box.

GNzaku0023
October 21, 2010, 8:30 AM
Wow, I was thinking later on down the road of picking one of those suckers up but now I think I'll pass. My first MG was the RX-178 MKII Titans Version 1, and It's nice and all, but it can't hold up most of it's weapons, can't even hold it's bazooka. It's a sad sad day when a Gundam can't hold his own weapons.

My HG 1/100 Wing Zero Custom was an easy build but the right hand shoulder pad was so loose it would always fall down. I had to glue it in place and I had to paint a lot more than I should have on the kit. And like my master grad RX-178, it too has a hard time holding up his awesome buster rifle. (Note: holding beam sabers in both hands works just fine.)

SilverFrameAstray
October 21, 2010, 7:14 PM
I'm gonna have to go ahead and say that Exia Card. I mean, that was such a hassle doing all of that painting and panel lining. Not even funny.

lawlz.

GNzaku0023
October 21, 2010, 8:38 PM
Oh man, that card...idk how you did that man, it's just crazy. I mean, my RX-178 took a while but that. That card.

SilverFrameAstray
October 21, 2010, 8:56 PM
Yeah I know. It's on display to the world. It's a masterpiece. My magnum opus.

GNzaku0023
October 21, 2010, 9:02 PM
Dork. Seriously though, I don't think you've had a bad experience yet. Just wait till your first master grade. You'll have fun with that.

SilverFrameAstray
October 21, 2010, 9:05 PM
Dude, I'm still trying for a PG. The hard work is not a problem. It isn't enjoyable if you didn't have trouble with it. Makes it more of an accomplishment.

GNzaku0023
October 21, 2010, 9:14 PM
Dude, I'm still trying for a PG. The hard work is not a problem. It isn't enjoyable if you didn't have trouble with it. Makes it more of an accomplishment.

This is very true, but honestly I didn't thoroughly enjoy building RX-178. Yeah he looks cool and all but man he's got problems, and putting some of the parts together was almost as frustrating as Akatsuki. Akatsuki was more enjoyable because most everything functions on it without fail and it was well worth it, but RX-178 on the other hand had a lot of problems, mainly being weapon weight issues. By no means is it a bad kit, but it certainly wasn't fantastic.

SilverFrameAstray
October 21, 2010, 9:35 PM
Well I still have buster to do, which is the first 1/144 I've had in a while (not counting Guntank cuz he isn't a gundam)

GNzaku0023
October 21, 2010, 9:43 PM
Buster is gonna be sick, especially if you do the weathering just right. I'll try and find that tutorial for you.

SilverFrameAstray
October 21, 2010, 9:47 PM
Won't need it. I have a few epic reference images of buster a bit tore up. I can imagine how I'm going to do it. I just need a really fine brush.

GNzaku0023
October 21, 2010, 9:52 PM
We'll hit up Michaels this week and see what they've got. I'm gonna need a new one for un...i mean O Gundam uh...yeah. Ummmm......well then.

SilverFrameAstray
October 21, 2010, 10:00 PM
you're dumb haha. We should have another build day coming up soon anyway.

NanoSpore
October 27, 2010, 12:01 AM
PG Wing Gundam.
I wouldn't say I hated it, but it sure tested my patience. Try as I might I couldn't get the wiring to work correctly (something I've never had an issue with on my other PGs). I eventually gave up on it. It turned out well, it just doesn't light up.

GNzaku0023
October 27, 2010, 8:55 AM
I'm sorry about that, it always sucks to have a part not work on a model. Case in point I had received a HG 1/100 Wing Zero Custom which I was really excited about (After all, it is my favorite gundam of all time, Zaku being my favorite mobile suit) And it had a lot of problems with it. Loose joints, (had to glue a shoulder pad), can't hold weapons well, had to paint more than I should've, ect.

It still looks pretty, but over all I was disappointed by it.

squeam
December 22, 2010, 6:17 PM
I just finished the HGUC GM Cold District Type from 0080: War in the Pocket. I have to say it is the most disappointing HG I've assembled yet. The knees are horribly floppy-so much so that it can barely stand up. The shoulders are pretty loose and tend to dislodge themselves at the slightest provacation. The head antenna will only attach with glue. The hand specifically designed to hold the rifle, can't. Not only that, but the gun can only be held at a very awkward angle, due to the shape of the stock. There are some serious seam lines in the upper arm, top of the torso and on the head. There is also little mobility in the hips, head and elbows.

Now, for 800 yen, I wasn't expecting absolute greatness; but for a HGUC from 2003, with scant few accessories, it could have been waaaay better. These 0080 HG's are leaving a bad impression and I'm growing very apprehensive about starting the Hy-Gogg. This is the first time I feel like I've been truly let down by Bandai. Oh well, the GM will still look good getting mauled by the Hy-Gogg and Z'GokE. ;)

Asterisk
December 22, 2010, 8:21 PM
Both GM Commands share this problem.

squeam
December 22, 2010, 10:18 PM
Dang! That sucks--how am I supposed to build up an army of cannon fodder, if the kits are not so great?

Zeta-G
December 23, 2010, 12:16 AM
Dang! That sucks--how am I supposed to build up an army of cannon fodder, if the kits are not so great?
They're GMs; being not so great is what they are. ;)

Allelujah
January 12, 2011, 10:09 PM
QUESTION:
what is your biggest/worst mistake or accident on building a model or a gundam?

for me I just experienced it a while ago.. I accidentally broke the V fins.. too bad.. T__T

Allelujah
January 12, 2011, 10:15 PM
here's a screenshot :( poor exia
http://i694.photobucket.com/albums/vv310/Ryuk013/IMG_6595.jpg

squeam
January 12, 2011, 10:19 PM
I had just finished my 1/100 NG Aile Strike Gundam and was perfecting his stance on top of the bookshelf when I tragically knocked him off. I made the mistake of trying to catch it, only to inadvertantly flip it over and make it land on the delicate end of the fins on the Aile Pack. Snapped the wings in multiple places, bent an Armor Scneider and broke a V-fin. I never could repair the backpack, so now I have a 1/100 NG Strike Gundam.

GNzaku0023
January 12, 2011, 10:35 PM
I think my biggest mistake of modeling had to be the time I was building my old 1/144 NG Wing Zero. It was about my 4th gundam kit, and by that time i had learned to use a razor blade (sorta). Well, while I was trimming a nub off of a leg piece, I had cut out a huge gash in the part, leaving a massive hole in the leg upon completion. It looked awful. Ever since then I've been incredibly cautious when removing nubs. Even today I still accidentally take a small chunk out of a part, though nothing near as bad as the Wing Zero kit.

SilverFrameAstray
January 12, 2011, 11:22 PM
I would say this wasn't my fault, but I'll take responsibility for it. My poor poor Red Frame Astray. The Gerbera Strait got snapped in half by one of my friends and i was completely upset over it. That and both of the pegs connecting the shoulders to the biceps snapped off inside the polycap, so they wouldn't stay on. Well I love Red Frame too much, so I just glued them on, now reducing his articulation. Imagine not being able to have your arms akimbo, and not being able to move one of your arms to the side. It's all good though. He's still win.

Skittles
January 12, 2011, 11:58 PM
Mostly just a few extra nicks here and there from trimming, though when seeing if could switch heads with a NG M1 Astray and a NG Destiny Zaku (answer: yes!), I accidentally knocked the M1 head flying and broke the v-fin. Aside from that, I've broken a few pegs but it's always been somewhere that could be glued or holds together fine otherwise.

I've had to take plenty of pieces apart because of missed kibble or polycaps, though. I just started using one of the actual 'parts separators' that came with an issue of Dengeki Hobby and it works quite well. Though I'd prefer not having to use it, of course.

Also, I've done what's probably a bit too much trimming on Sadalsuud and will have to putty in some holes. But resin conversions are a bit of a different beast.

Zeta-G
January 13, 2011, 2:23 AM
I accidentally knocked my MG GP01Fb's arm off my table, when I was constructing it, and most of the pegs in the shoulder were broken. It's since been repaired, but the shoulder remains fragile as a result.

ZeonPeon
January 17, 2011, 4:37 PM
Using GNZ's paint marker to panel line my Blaze Zaku Phantom. Thanks man. But it's all good. SFA and I are going over it. I'll post before and after pictures sometime.

Asterisk
January 17, 2011, 4:45 PM
Occasionally, I'll try a painting technique that doesn't work out. To fix it, I soak the painted pieces in brake fluid for a bit.
One day, I made the mistake of leaving a HGUC Zaku I's parts soaking over night. The result was a set of perfectly clean pieces....that crumbled at slightly-better-than-simply-touching pressure.

Not a terribly tragic loss, however, since I had 2 of them to begin with. Definitely not a mistake I'll be repeating, though.

ZeonPeon
January 17, 2011, 5:13 PM
Ugh, worst kit I've built was the 1st Grade Striker Gundam GNZ gave me when he got Gold Membership from GSAM. It would utter crap. It fell apart easily, had huge feet, could barely hold his gun, and his shulder vulcan was as loose as *Insert Las Vegas Prostitute Joke HERE*. But it was fun to destroy with an airsoft gun. Kept the gun and the backpack is now a beam saber hilt for Blaze Zaku Phantom, which is melted into his Wizard Pack and is now silver.

squeam
July 6, 2011, 7:06 AM
Threads merged. Any discussions on mistakes made with kits/bad build experiences can go here.

ItsVince725
July 6, 2011, 10:13 AM
I kinda accidentally superglued the shoulders of my MG Wing Gundam and made them solid joints...now I need a new Wing Gundam because it broke apart when I tried to move the arms...