PDA

View Full Version : New to the Hobby

Zappit
February 23, 2012, 6:32 PM
Hey, all.

I'm Zappit, amateur cartoonist and recent addition to the Gundam model hobby - just ordered four 1/144 models and waiting for them to arrive.

But I had a few questions - just in general - do the builders here like to aim for show-accuracy, or is there room for real customization. As someone who is coming from the Warhammer 40K hobby and a fan of modding Skylanders figures, I'm just trying to get a feel for how much individuality is really available in the Gundam hobby, since there was a boatload in those other hobbies.

I've got a good idea of what I'm aiming to do - start with the 1/144's, maybe accumulate extra pieces, and really try to build more unique models. I built a Tallgeese III 1/144 years ago - the one with the option to build any of the three versions, and picked that one up again. The itch just came back. I also picked up a Gundam EW-04 Serpent Custom Scale 1/144 , Gundam RX-121-1 Gundam TR-1 Hazel Custom HGUC 1/144 Scale, and a Gundam RX-0 Unicorn Gundam Destroy mode HGUC 1/144 Scale. I tried to aim for higher quality - thanks to research here while lurking, I learned quite a bit about the grading system, so thanks for that!

Are there any particular paints to AVOID? I've got a few kinds of acrylics, and I don't want to have a disaster on my hands. I'm also aware of the markers for these kits. What are those best for - or could I use, say, a micron pen to outline details?

Sorry to lace my first post with so many questions, but I have to admit, I'm feeling pretty dang enthusiastic about this right now. So thanks in advance to any experienced modellers offering their sage advice!

Zeta
February 23, 2012, 6:47 PM
The Gunpla (Gundam Plastic Modeling) community is very broad. There are those who do in depth customization modifications, to those who build show accuracy. The people you want to talk to with customization experience are GNZaku23, SilverFrameAstray, and Asterisk. I'm just a novice, so you'll have to talk to them if you need help.

Zappit
February 23, 2012, 6:48 PM
Thanks, Zeta, I might go look them up or see if they come to this thread.

Zeta
February 23, 2012, 6:51 PM
GNZ is on right now. I'm sure he'd be more than willing to assist you in any way possible. Besides, I've planning to do a custom HGUC Hi-nu for a while now, and I want to expand my skills just like you.

GNzaku0023
February 23, 2012, 6:51 PM
First off, welcome to the forums!

Second, the builders here (including myself) go for anything. I know I've done show accurate to custom pieces just based off the kit and my mood lol, but I'm always one for a good customization piece! I myself have just gotten into 40k and loving it and the customization it allows!

Also, not bad kits to start with, the tallgeese is a bit bland and needs paints, as does the serpent, but the hazel and Unicorn Destroy mode you'll have a load of fun with.
The paints to avoid IMO would be enamels. They can melt unprotected plastic and are a pain to apply and thin. Acrylics are definitely the way to go. I prefer citadel moreso than anything else, mainly because they are easier to thin and work with, but there's other companies like P3 that offer good acrylic paints to work with as well.

Hope all that helps, and once again welcome!

Zappit
February 23, 2012, 6:55 PM
Thanks for the advice, GN. I really picked out the Tallgeese because I did want to paint that sucker up - I'm thinking a green and gold scheme with black highlights (hand, parts of the feet, etc...) I originally built the Tallgeese 1 - some of those parts, especially the bigger pieces, will work wonders on 40K stuff. I took extra TG pieces to make some really, really killer Overdrive engines on a Blood Angels transport carrier. Great crossover stuff there.

GNzaku0023
February 23, 2012, 6:57 PM
I like the idea for a recolor on the Tallgeese. I've been toying around with adding spare gundam parts to my Tau army and see what I come up with lol. And I'd love to see some pictures of that engine mod to the Transport carrier!

Zappit
February 23, 2012, 7:48 PM
I'll try to post some pics of that - the painting on it is a DISASTER, though. It's old, I was inexperienced with the paints, and I converted it to an Iron Warriors Chaos carrier.

Kenico
February 23, 2012, 9:27 PM
Welcome to the Fourms. like the other guys, some build to accuracy others like to make Custom jobs (which is what 90% of us here lol). so not only do we do both, we encourage both, especially the latter. if you have a camera, dont be shy to show those badboys once youve done your custom jobs. :D again welcome to the Forums.

Wiltonican
February 23, 2012, 10:05 PM
I've tried painting Warhammer figures. And it's hard. Like HARD. The small scale is just frustrating to me. I feel like only tiny people with tiny paint brushes can paint them. I truly admire some of the elite painters in that genre.

Coming off of Warhammer, I'm sure you'll find 1/144 scale to be absolutely HUGE! (Even though it's one of the smaller scaled Gunplas) First thing you'll notice is how paint reacts differently at that scale.

Enjoy the learning experience! Post them up too! Love to see what you can do here.

squeam
February 23, 2012, 10:07 PM
Welcome to the hobby and our forums.

Check out the "Epic Kits" threads here for some really sweet customs that showcase the insane amount of customize-ability of Gunpla. Each kit is truly a blank canvas.

I like my recently acquired Vallejo acrylics, they are easy to work with and sooo pretty.

Joe
February 23, 2012, 10:34 PM
As with any hobby variation and variety are ALWAYS welcome. I personally try to go for anime accuracy only because I'm afraid to try too much new stuff :-P. That and I'm good at what I do in the hobby. But I love and appreciate the creative nature of customization. Please share your works with us, we would love to see it!

As for paints, I've been using Testor's Enamels for 12 years on Gunpla and I've never had issues except in the beginning I didn't know about thinning paint and the usual nooby mistakes of thinking if you just keep layering the gold paint it will turn out more gold! LOL

I lot of people swear by all three types of paint. From lacquers to enamel to acrylic; I've even heard of people using 1/4 gallon cans of Krylon paint you can buy at Wal*mart and craft acrylic paints you can get at Hobby Lobby or Micheal's Craft Store. It's whatever you feel comfortable with and like the look of.

Micron pens are awesome for lining, I've switched to grey Gundam Markers recently for a bit less anime and more shadow as far as look of the lines.

Zappit
February 24, 2012, 2:25 PM
I am glad to hear that Microns will work on these - I've got a frikkin' stockpile of the things!

Zappit
February 27, 2012, 9:04 PM
God - I'm going on a shopping spree - all 1/144:

Gundam 00: Raiser + GN Sword III 1/144 Scale Model HG 00-54 (just ordered)
Gundam 00V - Gundam Avalanche Exia 1/144 Scale Model Kit (just ordered)
BAN132159 1/144 Snap #21 Sword Impulse Gundam (in transit)
Gundam: #14 1/144 G-Bouncer HG Model Kit (in transit)

I was working on a Heavy Arms today - I forgot how fun this was - can't wait to get to the painting part.

thwalker13
February 27, 2012, 10:13 PM
Sounds like a lot of good kits. Hope you have fun building them and let me welcome you to the forum.

Wiltonican
February 28, 2012, 1:12 AM
Good choices. Can't wait to see the results.

Thought of an idea... since you have Warhammer experience... you can try something completely different and try to repaint a Gundam capsule toy! haha

Zappit
March 3, 2012, 3:42 PM
Good choices. Can't wait to see the results.

Thought of an idea... since you have Warhammer experience... you can try something completely different and try to repaint a Gundam capsule toy! haha

Heh. You know, while working on these models - haven't hit the painting stage - I'm hoping to build up a bits box and customize them later - I've been getting the itch to start a new 40K army. I'm thinking Grey Knights, since I'm an old Space Marines fan.