PDA

View Full Version : Custom PG Strike Freedom

thwalker13
February 18, 2012, 1:18 AM
Ok, so I wanted to post my plans on a project that I've been trying to work out for a few weeks now. For a very long time I've wanted a Perfect Grade kit to be a, center piece, if you will. Of my Gunpla collection. A single kit that simply towers over all the others. I never could decide on which to get until I discovered the Strike Freedom. I wanted to buy the PG, but went with the MG instead due to cost effectiveness. However, I then thought that I could still get a PG Strike Freedom. But create a custom one built as though I was the pilot instead of Kira. This would be my greatest project ever.

And so, here it is. I've used a high resolution scan from the manual. And some help from Photoshop to change the color scheme of the entire Gundam, weapons, and wing unit. You'll notice that the front view of the Gundam is colored Gray. This is cause I am still unsure whether or not I want to change the main color from white to gray. (feedback on this is greatly appreciated) But after the photos I will go over each color in great detail.

http://i570.photobucket.com/albums/ss149/txwalker13/Gunpla/PGFreedomMSCustom1.jpg

Let's start with the main MS. As you can see I have changed the dark navy blue, to black. This will happen all over the entire kit. As well as a few of the lighter blue areas such as the feet. I have also changed the color the white V-Fin to black along with gray "cheek" parts under the helmet. I plan on changing the color the 2 "claws" on either side of the helmet to give some added dimension to the head unit. And I also plan on painting the Yellow V-Fin gold to match the entire inner frame. Which will also be painted a bright metallic gold. I would also, if possible, like the replace the orange LED that comes with this kit to a red LED. I feel that red would look so much better.

Other changes include the light blue in the chest. This will be changed to a dark red. And all the other red parts dotted through out the kit will be painted to match. I also would like to add some variation to the white or gray areas by making some areas a different color. Which is shown by the raised areas of the front skirt armor. Another change will involve the vent covers on the chest, the collar around the neck, and the thruster cover on the back pack. All these tend to be the same color, so, I plan on giving them a nice update with a bright metallic silver to give some added sheen to this darker Freedom.

http://i570.photobucket.com/albums/ss149/txwalker13/Gunpla/PGFreedomWingUnitCustom.jpg

Here is where the kit is going to get fun. As you can see the wing unit and back pack are all black. But the Dragoons are going to be painted a very dark metallic gunmetal color. I find that this will not only stand out, but not draw attention away from the main MS.

The weapons are going to get some special treatment. The main colors will be changed to match that of the MS. But it's the mechanical parts that will see an upgrade. I plan on painting the mechanical areas with a lighter gunmetal that will give them the look and feel of an actual weapon.

That is basically my plans as of now. I have not yet decided on what to do with the white. But after looking at it in gray, I'm just not feeling it like I thought I would. So it might end up staying white with some added gunmetal parts to break it up. I do plan on painting just about everything in this kit along with top coat. I want it to be like it's grade suggests. Perfect. Please comment and let me know what you all think. I have never done a custom project before so all the feedback in the world is great appreciated. This project is just in the development stages right now, due to the high cost of this project it won't get off the ground for some time. But that just means that I have more time to prepare. So please tell me what you think with pointers tips and tricks. Thanks guys and I apologize for the long post but I just wanted to try to explain everything in as much detail as possible. Thanks again.

Kenico
February 18, 2012, 1:32 AM
the gray looks incredible on it, and NU paintjob (if that was what you were goin for, if not my bad lol) on it is outstanding! im not a huge fan of the SF but with a pj like that id pilot it, id say go for it man. i cant wait to see the final result.

EDIT: as for the rest of the modding in paintjob, GO FOR IT! very original and very non gundamy which is cool in my book lol

Wiltonican
February 18, 2012, 2:52 AM
Love the dragoons. Very dramatic. Very...uh..striking.:p

thwalker13
February 18, 2012, 11:23 AM
I'm thinking my dislike of the gray is from how plain it looks from Photoshop. I don't think the finished product will have that dark of a gray. I'm hoping to find a really light shade that won't stand out easily but at the same time darken the kit up. My inspiration was actually the Strike Noir. With some of my own design.

Wiltonican
February 18, 2012, 1:47 PM

Grey worked for Matt. Won a contest for him. I do like to see uncommon paint jobs as well.

GNzaku0023
February 18, 2012, 1:52 PM
I'll be honest, the black and red color scheme is... cliche. I feel like you could do so much more with it, but if you like it then by all means go for it. I do like the concept of the dragoon pack though, the black, dark gray, and gold comes off really nicely and flows.

thwalker13
February 18, 2012, 5:33 PM
Black and red is just my favorite color scheme. It's just me. I know it's been over done time and time again. But I just like it. I considered doing a paint job similar to that of the RX178 MK. II Titans. But I decided that it would take away from the feel of the Freedom. If that makes any sense. I don't know, I just want it to look as best as it possibly can be.

Grey worked for Matt. Won a contest for him. I do like to see uncommon paint jobs as well.

That doesn't look that bad. I like it. I might go with a lighter shade of gray, but it's starting to grow on me.

thwalker13
March 12, 2012, 11:28 AM
Ok, after a lot of thought and looking around at other kits. I think I've decided that instead of simply changing the colors. I'm going to add some additional black areas. Like the entire calf area will be black, along with the upper half of the shoulder armor. And the upper raised area of the skirts. I believe that this will reduce the amount of white overall that it won't be much of an issue. And I can always go with a light shade of gray or even silver for the majority of the body.

I will be in the process of reworking those images to reflect these changes and post them up as soon as I can. If anyone has any ideas or suggestions please feel free to make them.

WING ZERO
March 16, 2012, 9:05 PM
I'm diggin the gold joints it really pops but doesn't over power

thwalker13
March 16, 2012, 10:27 PM
Yeah. It's the standard gold inner frame of the Strike Freedom. I plan on painting a really nice metallic gold to really bring it to life. Once I'm finished with the new design I'll post it up so that you all can give me some feedback.

thwalker13
March 19, 2012, 4:05 PM
Ok, as promised here is my new and updated color scheme for my future Perfect Grade Strike Freedom project. Tell me what you all think.

http://i570.photobucket.com/albums/ss149/txwalker13/Gunpla/PGFreedomMSCustom2.jpg

TwilightKing
March 19, 2012, 5:03 PM
The colors reminds me of the Gundam MkII.

thwalker13
March 19, 2012, 5:09 PM
Some of my inspiration stemmed from that suit. And some from the Strike Noir.

WING ZERO
March 22, 2012, 12:22 AM
I really like the white opposed to the gray but thats me.

thwalker13
March 22, 2012, 7:23 AM
Yeah I'm liking this version a lot better than my original design. It seems to work a lot better.

WING ZERO
March 22, 2012, 9:34 AM
the more and more i look at this the more i'm falling in love with that color scheme. PLEASE FRAKIN DO THIS THING!!!

thwalker13
March 22, 2012, 12:37 PM
I plan to. But I have a lot of MG kits to buy before I start on this grand undertaking. Plus the kit along is over 300 bucks. Plus paint and everything else I'll need. So it'll be awhile before I actually get to start on this project.

jayhat100
March 27, 2012, 8:50 PM
The new color scheme is alot better. It should be epic once built. Wanted to build a perfect grade for awhile now just want to get my painting down first.

thwalker13
March 27, 2012, 11:00 PM
Yeah I really need to test out my skills on a couple kits before tackle this massive project. Possibly considering doing a custom job on the MG RX-0 Banshee.