PDA

View Full Version : Style in Gundam Games

Oldtype
February 12, 2012, 12:06 PM
Hello, folks. This is just a cursory survey in an attempt to gauge what people would like to see in a game before I go about writing up the initial draft and seeing what becomes of it.

Gundam is notorious for having so many variations on the theme that any unified storyline or design trends are practically accidental. That being said, a Gundam game attempting to project a cohesive story would have a difficult time keeping pace with everything. Going from 70s funk to 80s electronica to 90s drama tends to be a bit of a traumatic experience in one sitting, especially as the quality of the script, animation, and design varies just as rapidly.

I want to know what you folks think of a game in terms of the style. We're assuming that it starts in 0079 UC era and can go on for eternity. We're also assuming that it does stick true to the original soundtracks as the "eras" pass, but they pass gradually, as one on-going story. Now:

Content:
- Should the game include all of the super-robot stuff that was in the original Gundam series, along with any comparable bits and pieces from later on? G-Fighters, Guntanks, and the weekly Mobile Armors that served virtually no purpose? Or, should it be spartan, "realistic," more akin to the MSG movies, or better yet the novelization, in which there are many more mass-produced types, no custom suits for everybody and their mothers, and a Guncannon in place of a Guntank?

Color:
- This goes along with the above. If the mobile suits are ubiquitous or standardized, how would they be painted? The original series had all sorts of colors everywhere, and we all know and love the Gundam's paint job, but let's be honest: that's a sculpture, not a war machine. Would the mobile suits, ships, and so on have the same color schemes as they did throughout the shows, or should they be toned down, as Tomino originally desired, which much more flat colors, common color schemes, to make them look more like weapons off of an assembly line?

Style:
- Lastly, and still tying into the above, what would the overall style be? Pretty straightforward, you can go from cel shaded cartoon to gritty, high definition realism. Would you want a game that looks like the series plastered on your screen, or one more like Federation vs. Zeon where you saw all the burn marks, dents, and bruises on the mobile suits?

Poll's attached. Thanks for the input for anyone who gives it. If you have any reasoning behind poll votes you want to share, by all means do so.

ItsVince725
February 12, 2012, 1:02 PM
I think Mobile Armors and the G-Fighter are stupid, but I love me some fancy custom colorschemes.

Zeta
February 12, 2012, 5:31 PM
While I like realistic colors, the Ce-shaded graphics of Dynasty Warriors Gundam 3 were really good. I think an excellent balance between bright and real colors would make for excellent graphics.

thwalker13
February 12, 2012, 9:27 PM
I've always been a fan of the more realistic styles. I have Mobile Suit Gundam Crossfire for the PS3. And it's just about the most realistic Gundam game I've come across. Except for maybe Journey to Jaburo or Zeonic Front. So for me my vote goes for the more realistic the better.

I'mANewtypeToo!
March 1, 2012, 3:14 AM
SD.
Also, super robots have no place in the Gundam universe, as Gundam is basically the real robot flagship series.

CKai Cydek
March 1, 2012, 5:25 AM
I think Mobile Armors and the G-Fighter are stupid, but I love me some fancy custom colorschemes.
While I'll be the first to admit that the G-Fighter is clunky & not very dynamic-looking, it still performs valuable multi-functions. If you watch the original Gundam series, it's quite evident, no matter how lame the mech looks. And as far as function goes, it's not as outrageous as say, the GN Arms or the METEOR units. I'll take the G-Fighter over the boring Core Booster any day.

SD.
Also, super robots have no place in the Gundam universe, as Gundam is basically the real robot flagship series.
The Shuffle Doumei would like a word with you.

I'mANewtypeToo!
March 4, 2012, 7:13 PM
The Shuffle Doumei would like a word with you.

The G Gundam units are considered Real Robots. ^^