PDA

View Full Version : Next Model

TwilightKing
February 7, 2012, 11:15 AM
I want some suggestions for my next model for my upcoming birthday. This model will also be my second model so keep that in mind if you give me any suggestions.

squeam
February 7, 2012, 11:45 AM
Master Grade Nemo!

Kenico
February 7, 2012, 12:05 PM
the nemo or the MG Gundam MK II or the MG hi nu. or what ever that tickles your fancy.

Joe
February 7, 2012, 2:42 PM
MG Gundam Mk II Version 2.0 is pretty much the best MG ever. It's complex in it's construction with a lot of detail, but over all a simple design. Articulation is out standing, details abounding, and it comes in two colors! I have one each of the AEUG, Titans, HD color AEUG, and HD color Titans because they're just that good.

Zeta
February 7, 2012, 3:24 PM
I too have the Mk II. It's great. Articulation is excellent, the accessories are nice, and the build is amazing.

squeam
February 7, 2012, 4:24 PM
But the Nemo's cheaper.
And green.
And has a cool orange visor.

Gale
February 7, 2012, 6:07 PM
MG Nemo.
Them colors, them pretty colors.
Or MG Sandrock.
Dem Shotels, man.

Joe
February 7, 2012, 8:16 PM
Squeam, come on, the Nemo? really? Gundam Mk II blows Nemo OUT OF THE WATER!
The Nemo is such a different design, like it doesn't fit...
It's got those huge thrusters on it's legs, and that backpack, not to mention that shade of green which contrasts with the red accents... and what's with that shield? and that antenna? and the orange visor?
Why don't I own a Nemo?!?!?! *adds MG Nemo to want list while shaking fist at Squeam*

Luna2
February 7, 2012, 9:34 PM
Qubeley, all the way.

squeam
February 7, 2012, 10:07 PM
?
Why don't I own a Nemo?!?!?! *adds MG Nemo to want list while shaking fist at Squeam*

Heh, heh, heh...excellent *rubs hands together*

Kenico
February 8, 2012, 8:05 AM
how about the MG ReZel its a very smooth transformation sequence, very awesome build with some augmentation (namely repainting the white and some gray gunmetal silver) and it just look so damn sexy! its a little more expensive than the Nemo (i own one as well and i highly reccomend it lol) but youll get your moneys worth.

btw welcome back luna2. and luna2, ive always wondedred what the Quebley build was like. any comments?

squeam
February 8, 2012, 8:46 AM
If you're looking for something a little cheaper and more mono-eyed, try the HGUC Gouf Custom. It looks seriously good straight out of the box and has some well engineered features that enable it to handle the massive amount of accessories included. If you want to fight your AGE-1, I'd go for the Baqto.

Kenico
February 8, 2012, 8:51 AM
or either the HG Jegan ECOAS, the HG Jesta, or the HG G-Exes (though you may have to wait for a while on the last one seeing its sold out.)

CKai Cydek
February 10, 2012, 12:11 AM
If this is to be your second kit, perhaps something along the High Grade line before you venture into Master Grade territory. Most any iteration of the RX-78-2 Gundam would be a nice place to look, but since there are tons of HGUC and high-level HGs from various lines in recent years (like Gundam 00, GGundam, AGE, etc.), maybe you could take a look & pick out your favorite mech from those series.

Personally, I'd go for any of the 00 Gundam variants (Seven Sword/G being my favorite), or some of the AGE Gundams/mass-production MS.

If you truly want something of Master Grade quality, you can't go wrong with the Strikes! Most any Strike Gundam variant is a great buy, despite being a bit dated at this point. The features & equipment they have are diverse, and actually, the entire SEED & SEED Destiny line in MG form are pretty good. Or perhaps any of the newer Gundam Wing kits starting with the new MG Wing (not the Ver.Ka, but that's pretty nice too) all the way to the recent Heavyarms.

Just one thing - please try and avoid any mech that transforms! While the newer HGUC kits are partsformers that are quite stable, older ones & especially Master Grades can be quite complex and may be frustrating for inexperienced modelers. The MG Zeta 1.0 was my very first MG and one of my biggest regrets :(

thwalker13
February 10, 2012, 1:09 AM
What about a Real Grade? Like the Strike, Freedom, or even one of the 2 Zaku's since you're wanting a mono-eye. Not really as expensive as a MG. And a good step up from a HG kit.

Zeta
February 10, 2012, 5:18 AM
Just one thing - please try and avoid any mech that transforms! The MG Zeta 1.0 was my very first MG and one of my biggest regrets :(

I beg to differ. I have MG Zeta Gundam Ver. 2.0 and while I've transformed at least six times, it's still pretty solid. The only problems I have with Zeta 2.0 are the wings on the back and the hooks that connect the hips to the back when you split the legs as part of the transformation feel fragile.

squeam
February 10, 2012, 6:15 AM
Well, there is a HUUGE difference between Zeta 1.0 and Zeta 2.0. The first Zeta MG is notorious for the level of frustration in the transformation. Even as nice as the 2.0 is, I don't think it's the best choice for anyone's second kit. But, with a little experience, I think the Zeta 2.0 a "must-have" for any Gunpla enthusiast.

I agree with CKai on the the MG Strike and Wing as good places to start in the Master Grade line (after you get a Nemo, that is). And the nice thing about those kits is that they aren't on the high end of the MG price spectrum.

CKai Cydek
February 10, 2012, 7:08 AM
What about a Real Grade? Like the Strike, Freedom, or even one of the 2 Zaku's since you're wanting a mono-eye. Not really as expensive as a MG. And a good step up from a HG kit.

While the lower price point & build experience of most any RG is great, the numerous parts that tend to be smaller than your thumbnail & more delicate than paper(!) may be a little too much for inexperienced builders, despite the manuals making the assembly easy to follow & the overall design requiring very minimal touch-ups. Once you've built a few MGs though, transitioning to RGs should be simple. I would recommend that one start with the RG Aile Strike, as it fixes some of the issues the earlier RG RX-78-2 had.

I beg to differ. I have MG Zeta Gundam Ver. 2.0 and while I've transformed at least six times, it's still pretty solid. The only problems I have with Zeta 2.0 are the wings on the back and the hooks that connect the hips to the back when you split the legs as part of the transformation feel fragile.

Oh, no argument there. The Zeta 2.0 is a very good kit & quite solid for its transformation gimmick. But the Zeta 1.0, as Squeem mentioned, is frustrating as all hell, & probably the most unstable MG I've ever had the displeasure of building. But then again, I haven't built the Victory yet, so I can't use that as a comparison...

That said, one simply can't take an assembled kit like the Zeta & expect to be able to transform it like one would a Takara Transformer, even if there exist more complex transformations from them. The Zeta by nature & design, is significantly more fragile than most MS. Thankfully, newer UC kits like the ReZEL offer more stable engineering while managing to find a nice balance between both the complex transformation & decent articulation.

thwalker13
February 10, 2012, 7:31 AM
Hmm, I see your point. In that case a HG kit seems to be a better choice. At least until you get used to building. I remember my 1st MG kit was the GP02A. And I remember it being a big step up from what I was used to. I'd just say do some research. Watch some review videos on YouTube and see what you're getting into before buying.

Edit: If you're interested in HGUC kits. I'll recommend the HG Bawoo. It's a very unique Zeon suit. But it's a fun build and a really good kit.

Zeta
February 10, 2012, 5:35 PM
I once talked to "He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named" (You know squeam, the one that left and was banned a few months later) while playing DWG 3 and he indeed said that Zeta 1.0 had a frustrating transformation.