PDA

View Full Version : MG AGE-1: Cool, but seems largely forgotten

Faust
September 8, 2016, 7:51 PM
At the time, AGE was somewhat criticized as being a bit too “kiddie”. I never really understood the issue, and watching it again made me realize that it is an excellent show. Thankfully, Bandai when to town when it came to kits for AGE, and I find I have a lot of them in the stash. They were mostly "impulse buys", since I got them before I'd seen the show. This is one of those, the MG AGE-1 Normal. I really liked the AGE-1, and it's a great update on the "classic" gundam design aesthetic.

The MG AGE-1 might not be everyone's favourite, since it doesn't have an internal frame, but to me, that's okay. I don't mind that at all, since I actually hate the frames. I never see them, so why bother me with them?

Check out this somewhat overlooked Master Grade below. Maybe you’ll see that AGE wasn’t so bad after all!

https://adamrehorn.wordpress.com/model-kits/mecha-robots/bandai-1100-mg-age-1-gundam-normal-type/

https://adamrehorn.files.wordpress.com/2013/06/mg-age-1-027.jpg?w=640

Squee
September 8, 2016, 9:44 PM
I don't like the look of the Age 1 from an aesthetics point of view, aside from the fin on the back. I still need to buy a MG Age Titus for a project in the works. What i really dislike about the Age MG Line is that its major selling point for it was a simplified build that novices can easily snap together. There is a huge lack of detail imo, particularly with the frame assembly which was also something Bandai emphasized.

Plamobot
September 8, 2016, 9:46 PM
One of my favorite suits. Well done, sir!

Faust
September 8, 2016, 9:47 PM
See, I like the AGE aesthetic, a lot more than the IBO, personally.

I also hate wasting time on MG frames, since I never see them, why do I want to bother cutting, sanding and painting them? I only buy MGs because I like certain mecha enough to want them in 1/100, or that's the only way they're available at the time. That's why I LOVE the Re:100s; no frame, great detailing.

Squee
September 8, 2016, 10:35 PM
I also hate wasting time on MG frames, since I never see them, why do I want to bother cutting, sanding and painting them? I only buy MGs because I like certain mecha enough to want them in 1/100, or that's the only way they're available at the time. That's why I LOVE the Re:100s; no frame, great detailing.

You are my antithesis. *Shakes fist.

Kirky82
September 9, 2016, 8:47 AM
I'm finally watching AGE now, so age 1 was cool apart from the backpack...dunno what happened there.

Plamobot
September 9, 2016, 9:10 AM

Gundam Fight all set! Ready? GO!

Faust
September 9, 2016, 5:16 PM

*Grins*

That's the great part - something for everyone, even if we all don't love the same parts of it, eh?

I will agree with Kirky82 that the backpack is a bit odd, but you know, it really doesn't look that bad. Besides, in an atmosphere, some control surfaces wouldn't go amiss!

Plamobot
September 9, 2016, 10:53 PM
Now you just need the Mega Size version. ;)

Faust
September 11, 2016, 7:45 PM
Yeah, I don't know if I need that much AGE goodness! I only have one PG, and it's almost too big! :)

Plamobot
September 12, 2016, 8:46 AM
C'mon, the Mega Size is too much fun. Resistance is futile!

(Which reminds me, I still need to put the waterslide decals on mine...)

Faust
October 7, 2016, 7:20 PM
Man, I can't even figure where to put a PG, so I don't even want to think about a Mega Size!

That thing would be taller than my 16 m.o. nephew! Do you have any pics of yours?

Plamobot
October 7, 2016, 9:48 PM
Sure do! Here it is next to the HG version for scale.

FWIW, it just fits on a Detolf shelf. :)

Faust
November 5, 2016, 2:18 PM
Whoa!

That's a BIG Gundam! That one pic says it all!

Next thing you know, they'll be making a Mega Size Neo Zeong! :)

Ah, okay. I know the Detolf well. That really drives the size of that thing home! Cool lights, too!