PDA

View Full Version : Meijin Kawaguchi III PF-78-3A, Amazing Red Warrior custom

Mark
September 2, 2016, 9:08 AM
My first complete build (forgive the poor photo setup)

Build time 2.5 weeks at about 2 hours a day

All parts painted enamels and alclad.

Light red: Tamiya gloss red with Tamiya clear red edge highlight coated with 50/50 gloss/dull coat.

Dark Red: Tamiya gunmetal coated with Tamiya clear red

Candy red on joints: Tamiya aluminium coated with Clear red

Lines: Artists black chalk powdered and mixed with detergent and water. Applied and wiped after drying.

Frame base colour: 50/50Alclad II steel/polished aluminium.

Frame detailed by edging and dusting with Alclad Jet Exhaust (I will pull some armour sometime and take more pics.

Alclad steel on some parts.

Tamiya gunmetal and model master buffing gunmetal used on some parts

Chrome looking parts is Alclad stainless steel applied on half cured Tamiya gloss black and then heat cured to pull alclad to high shine(hot air gun at 150 degrees C). Thisalso helps the Alclad key into the paint which is keyed to the plastic making it fairly tough and scratch resistant.

Kit Decals (dry) applied.

Stand is custom 3D printed ABS with 3D Printed inset SK, painted using the same paints as the Gunpla.

darksheep
September 2, 2016, 10:36 AM
This looks really really cool try get some more pics of it , you put a lot of work in and it shows in the results :)

Also some pics of the frame would be cool if you have .

What are you most happy about in your kit ?

Mark
September 2, 2016, 10:47 AM
Thanks darksheep. I really want to do a good job on the red frame astray I'm about to start so this was a really good pre kit to trial some paint techniques to get anodized and candy red colours. Turns out I really enjoyed this kit more than I expected. It has great detail and just works. I wish I had looked around for some waterslides in hindsight. I will pop some of the outer red armour panels off and take some pics of the frame.

Years of doing other scale stuff and one Gundam and I'm hooked. LOL

Zaku
September 2, 2016, 6:04 PM
Very nice man. Looks awesome.

Kirky82
September 2, 2016, 9:00 PM
I like the kit but just too much red for me

Mark
September 2, 2016, 10:51 PM
Kirky, yes, very red.

A few more pics of bits.....

Mark
September 2, 2016, 10:54 PM
Weapons and stand....

darksheep
September 5, 2016, 1:26 PM
Wow that is a cool stand and the inner frame looks really cool !

I see in this pic it seems like the 3rd part in the top row is pealing , is this intentional weathering it sorta looks like it or is it a problem with the paint ?

http://www.gundamforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=18029&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1472870955

A_Lurker
September 5, 2016, 2:45 PM
Wow, looks sharp! Really like the stand.

Mark
September 5, 2016, 9:13 PM
darksheep, I kinda stuffed up with a couple of the parts. I fitted the rear decals to the front and the front to the rear so had to over manipulate the part. I try to fit the dry decals (stickers) while the paint still has a bit of tack then set it with heat. I'll probably print some replacement water slide decals and strip those bits back to re-do them.

I wanted a minimal stand. I plan to replace the aluminum tube with piano wire so it's less obvious.

Thanks guys.

Mark

Rxslinger
September 6, 2016, 12:48 AM
Seriously wtf! The last 3 bottles of alclad steel look nothing like that... it's really hampering some of my projects.

LordThurisaz
September 6, 2016, 1:41 AM
Turned out really cool, awesome job dude.

Mark
September 6, 2016, 10:07 AM
Seriously wtf! The last 3 bottles of alclad steel look nothing like that... it's really hampering some of my projects.

The knee joints are straight Alclad steel from memory. It's quite dark. I do a custom mix of about 50% steel to 50% polished aluminum (or dull aluminum) to get a bright steel color. I tend to mix it up a bit on different parts with different ratios to give it a bit more depth. I then do edges with varying light coats of Jet exhaust. I always apply thin coats of gloss clear enamel to the steel and steel mixes. It helps make the jet exhaust pop and also makes it more scratch resistant. Shoot thinned clear gloss (Tamiya enamel clear and Tamiya thinners about 50/50) and set with 140 degrees C hot air gun being carefull to keep it moving so the parts don't melt.... This stops the clear from flowing the steel pigment and it dries to a semi gloss rather than a gloss.

I'll try to take a couple of better pics of the Raiser 00 parts I'm working on at the moment so it's a bit clearer on the shading.

Edit.. pics added (excuse the dust...). I'm not doing any weathering or lining on the metal parts for most of my kits. When I get into the Qan T and the red frame Astray, I'll probably add a lot more detail.

- - - Updated - - -

Ha... that pic just reminded me I forgot to future the green clear parts..... They are a biatch to pop back out.

- - - Updated - - -

Wow, looks sharp! Really like the stand.

Thanks... The joys of working daily with 3D modelling and having a 3D printer. If anyone is interested in the STL or step files, give me a shout and I'll put them up. I'm more than happy to change the logo to a different insert. I got the idea when I helped a friends son out with his seven swords and we came up with the stand with the Celestial being logo printed on decal paper.

clemsonc
October 7, 2016, 6:31 PM
Wow, the Amazing Red Warrior is Amazing Rad

Mark
October 9, 2016, 8:15 AM
Thanks. When I clear the backlog of other stuff I'm doing I'm going to re-visit a few things. The poor lighting on the photos highlighted a few things that should be fixed, the wavy backpack surface for one :), out with the filler. Could do with a bit more line work as well now that I'm starting to venture into more detail on some of my other builds. The flat coat on the red and white needs to be full flat. The satin look isn't as nice as I wanted