PDA

View Full Version : GundamForums unit patch.

Zaku
August 16, 2016, 3:42 AM
So i decided id try to make a GundamForums.com unit patch. im not quite done yet. its giving me a headache. a graphic designer i am not lol..i thought id make it so people can use the paintbucket tool in MS paint to re color it and change stuff out like the words and pic in the center and make their own nice and easy. however i have no clue what im doing. hahahah so this is where im at so far.
as you can see i used "Amat victoria curam (Victory favors those who take pains)." but i was torn between it at Aut viam inveniam aut faciam (I will either find a way or make one) because this is my motto when i build. idk what im doing but IM DOING IT!!!! but "Amat victoria curam (Victory favors those who take pains)." holds damn true.
http://i764.photobucket.com/albums/xx287/Zaku185/drawing-3_zpszywgg8gm.png (http://s764.photobucket.com/user/Zaku185/media/drawing-3_zpszywgg8gm.png.html)

and i had to do a LOOOOOOOOT of google-ing to even get this far. i started in Inkscape. a program i downloaded to try to make my own decals (that failed miserably) and am now in MS paint because i cant figure out how to do simple stuff in inkscape. so would anyone be interested in making one? if enough people make one we could put it up to vote and make one official (we kinda do what we want anyways. the owners seem to not care about us anymore *sadface*)

also for consideration when i get this figured out i googled some latin phrases (the best unit patches all have em)

Vincit qui se vincit.

He conquers who conquers himself.
Used as a motto by many schools, this phrase speaks to the importance of first getting yourself under control,
mastering your urges and temptations, before trying to control the outside world.
Also, fun fact, it can be seen on a stained glass window at the beginning of Disney’s Beauty and the Beast.
-----------------------------------------------------
Sinceritatis in errore etiam sit virtus. (Sincerity even in error is strength).
-------------------------------------------------
Vincit qui se vincit (He conquers who conquers himself).
--------------------------------------------------
Aut viam inveniam aut faciam (I will either find a way or make one).
----------------------------------------------------
Duc, sequere, aut de via decede (Lead, follow, or get out of the way).
-----------------------------------------------
Virtute et armis (By courage and by arms).
---------------------------------------------
Pacatissima uirtute est, non sine timore ... metum (Courage is mastery of fear...not absence of fear).
-------------------------------------------
Illegitimis nil carborundum (Don't let the bastards grind you down).
-----------------------------------------
Non timetis messor (Don't Fear the Reaper).
------------------------------------------
Potius mori quam foedari (Death before dishonour).
------------------------------------------------
Non uno die roma aedificata est (Rome was not built in a day [Everything needs time and patience]).
----------------------------------------------
Non omne quod nitet aurum est (Not all that glitters is gold).
Fortitudine vincimus (By endurance we conquer).
--------------------------------------------
Amat victoria curam (Victory favors those who take pains).
Dum spiramus tuebimur (While we breathe, we shall defend).
----------------------------------------------
Experientia docet (Experience is the best teacher).
----------------------------------------
Astra inclinant, sed non obligant.

The stars incline us, they do not bind us.
I love this one because it’s about as bold a one-line refutation of fatalism as you can imagine.
The phrase means that while fate – whether determined by the stars, the gods or something else entirely
– might nudge us in a certain direction, we are never forced in it, that free will exists
and the decision of what to do in any circumstance is ultimately our own.

- - - Updated - - -

i screwed up and had to rapid fire the undo button a few times to so i would have been further along had it not been for learning pains.

- - - Updated - - -

and now that im reallly looking i see that the site is more of a orange-ish burgundy. oh well i can fix that easy enough.

(i wish the dripper tool from MS Paint would work everywhere lol)

- - - Updated - - -

IM SO BAD AT THIS!!!!!!

i just noticed the F in fourums is touching the image, the words on top are not centered and i still cant tell if my banner ends are offset.

Kenico
August 16, 2016, 3:54 AM
What would be the latin phrase for: "To Victory, Life or Death" ?

Zeta
August 16, 2016, 3:56 AM
A unit patch usually represents the unit as a whole, so the patch and the motto have to reflect that. A unit patch for our site symbolize what we represent in the overall Gundam community. We are a haven, a safe harbor for all Gundam fans who come from different walks of life and each member has a different tastes when it come to the Gundam meta-verse. As such, I think that our motto should be this: Unitas et robur per indiuiduitate. Translated into English, it means "Strength and Unity through Individuality".

Zaku
August 16, 2016, 3:58 AM
thats a classic. SIEG ZEON!!

and although i dont speak latin (i just google-ed those) google says its "Ut salus , vita et Mors" witch has a nice sound to it. lol

Zeta
August 16, 2016, 4:10 AM
thats a classic. SIEG ZEON!!

and although i dont speak latin (i just google-ed those) google says its "Ut salus , vita et Mors" witch has a nice sound to it. lol

Try using Google Translate. Sometimes it's not always accurate, but I think pretty accurate for Latin. By the way, the Latin phrase you just posted means "As Health, Life, and Death". I know that this matches pretty accurately as I know that Vita means Life, salus means health, and Mors means death. I'm no Latin expert, but I know some bits.

Zaku
August 16, 2016, 4:16 AM
A unit patch usually represents the unit as a whole, so the patch and the motto have to reflect that. A unit patch for our site symbolize what we represent in the overall Gundam community. We are a haven, a safe harbor for all Gundam fans who come from different walks of life and each member has a different tastes when it come to the Gundam meta-verse. As such, I think that our motto should be this: Unitas et robur per indiuiduitate. Translated into English, it means "Strength and Unity through Individuality".

Im in the military, i know.

and thats the neat thing. THAT is what gundamforums means to YOU. not everyone see's this place in the same light. like to me this is a place to find my fellow Zeons and talk crap about feddies. or depending on WHEN you are hang out with mah AEUG brothers and plan how were gonna steal another MK-II this time hahah. im not tolerant and i never will be. its just who i am, so this isnt a safe haven to me. not everyone likes what i like i get that and im cool with it but it does not mean i have to act like i like what they like.

and im sure to some people this place is just "robots! cool" and nothing more.

- - - Updated - - -

Try using Google Translate. Sometimes it's not always accurate, but I think pretty accurate for Latin. By the way, the Latin phrase you just posted means "As Health, Life, and Death". I know that this matches pretty accurately as I know that Vita means Life, salus means health, and Mors means death. I'm no Latin expert, but I know some bits.

ah ok. good input thanks.

- - - Updated - - -

in victoria, vitam aut mortem. i think.

Zeta
August 16, 2016, 4:19 AM
Im in the military, i know.

and thats the neat thing. THAT is what gundamforums means to YOU. not everyone see's this place in the same light. like to me this is a place to find my fellow Zeons and talk crap about feddies. or depending on WHEN you are hang out with mah AEUG brothers and plan how were gonna steal another MK-II this time hahah. im not tolerant and i never will be. its just who i am, so this isnt a safe haven to me. not everyone likes what i like i get that and im cool with it but it does not mean i have to act like i like what they like.

and im sure to some people this place is just "robots! cool" and nothing more.

The way I see it, this place is 10x better than other places to discuss Gundam (looks at /r/Gundam and /m/). The only place that could a be a better place than us to discuss Gundam would the MAHQ boards (especially since they have the Gundam guru Mark Simmons as member).

Kenico
August 16, 2016, 4:19 AM
I agree on both matters. both of you have some valid points. So what would make us up as a whole? As in in a single phrase both in English and in Latin that sums us all up...E Plurbus Gunpla ROFL! I kid I kid!

but yeah something simple but powerful. The Gundam and the Zaku themselves were simple concepts with powerful meanings :)

Zeta
August 16, 2016, 4:20 AM
Iah ok. good input thanks.

- - - Updated - - -

in victoria, vitam aut mortem. i think.

That sounds about right.

Zaku
August 16, 2016, 4:33 AM
The way I see it, this place is 10x better than other places to discuss Gundam (looks at /r/Gundam and /m/). The only place that could a be a better place than us to discuss Gundam would the MAHQ boards (especially since they have the Gundam guru Mark Simmons as member).

oh hell yea i love this plcae. but tolerance is NOT the reason i do. and yea /m/ is mostly crap. sometimes there is a good thread but it gets over run with shitposting. but thats 4chan as a whole. its always been like that and always will be. you just have to hunt the good stuff. and i cant say ive taken the time to go to the MAHQ boards. im on Gundam eclipse sometimes but i just keep forgetting about it lol. something about the site is kind of boring. all the epic model builders seem to have forgotten about it or just never update their WIP threads.

- - - Updated - - -

I agree on both matters. both of you have some valid points. So what would make us up as a whole? As in in a single phrase both in English and in Latin that sums us all up...E Plurbus Gunpla ROFL! I kid I kid!

but yeah something simple but powerful. The Gundam and the Zaku themselves were simple concepts with powerful meanings :)

"E Plurbus Zaku" fixed it for you HAHAHAHAHAH

Kenico
August 16, 2016, 4:38 AM
LOL fair enough but still we need something simple but powerful...what does the forum say :)