PDA

View Full Version : 1985 Rick Dias Bandai Score

eljanitor
January 12, 2016, 6:33 PM
On one of my trips to my favorite model store, I came across an odd looking box.... I was holding in my hands one of the original BanDai Rick Dias kits, and it was only $14.99 USD. I thought the Rick Dias was ugly when I saw it in Zeta Gundam, but I did needed one to add to my collection so that was it, thsi was coming home with me, and I had hoped the price tag wasn't mislabled too. Once I got it home and I unboxed it, I thought about all the ways I could modify it, and so on, but I remembered my childhood and the anime kits of The 80's. Macross battroids with huge balloon hands, and fingers that couldn't move EVER. Mismatched pieces and putty and, and.. I decided to do it old school with rattle cans, and tried to make it as close to the box as possible. It wasn't going to be a huge project. I wanted people to see how Gundam kits looked back when ( 1985 Zeta Gundam was Airing on TV in Japan ) and how much of a pain it was to make them look really cool, like you'd see In Hobby Japan magazines, Spending endless hours staring at the color glossy pictures (Magazines before the internet) of dioramas and work done by professional modelers, and wondering why my kits didn't look like that. Anyways hers a bit of nostalgia enjoy.

Kirky82
January 12, 2016, 9:12 PM
I quite liked the Rick Dias in Zeta, and then the Dijeh which I think was a suped up version for Amaro Ray,

Good work! going to do anything else with it?

eljanitor
January 16, 2016, 12:51 AM
Its sitting in a case with the other Gundams on display in a room here :) Havent had much time this year to complete any kit I've started....

goondam
January 18, 2016, 7:30 PM
Not bad. Looks very different from today's models. I built one myself a few years ago. After gluing and sanding, I just painted the brown parts, weapons and some other details. Left the red plastic as is. I took a picture with it alongside a MG Rick Dias I built. http://imgur.com/a/gylIA