PDA

View Full Version : Seeking advice: gundam miniatures

darkonezero
August 5, 2015, 9:23 PM
Hello World,
I recently became interested in collecting gundam merchandise, but have reached a roadblock since I haven't been looking at the market long enough to find what I'm looking for. I'm particularly interested in small detailed figures that are modeled to scale, such as something you'd expect from miniatures like warhammer and the like. So far I've collected some SD gundam gashapon and FW gundam converge figures, but neither are exactly what I'm looking for. While SD gundam are about the right size, their quality greatly varies and the scale is irregular. The FW converge figures are close, but they are a weird hybrid between SD and standard scale. Examples of exactly what I'm looking for would be the defunct Mini Figure Selection series and gundam playset pack-ins.
Here is one of the playsets from when Bandai America started releasing gundam toys, these have skyrocketed in price due to scarcity.

Here is a set of MFS figures, most of the earlier sets weren't painted with the except of the secret figure:

Since neither of these series are commercially available I don't know where to look. One potential solution is whatever the Japanese equivalent of the Bandai America gundam playset toyline is, but I have no idea what that would be called. My current plan is to slowly poke at current figure series such as Assault Kingdom and the link until I find something suitable, but that's all trial and error. So here I am at gundam message board, seeking advice from the veterans of this field. I appreciate any clues on finding sustenance for my fandom, which starved during my formative years due to the lack of income or internet.

Mendou
August 8, 2015, 7:53 AM
This probably isn't too helpful, as what I'm suggesting is out of production as well, but the 1/400 scale Gundam Collection looks pretty good for gaming. They cover a large selection from the various series, and can be found somewhat reasonably on eBay (as long as you don't want the 1/400-scale White Base or Musai to go with them). You can occasionally find a very good deal on bulk sets, though if you're looking for specific figures you may have to pay a premium for some of them.

Disclaimer: I don't sell these, but I have bought far too many via eBay......

darkonezero
August 8, 2015, 8:27 AM
Looking into these, the "Gundam Collection" series has some very nice looking miniatures that there are quite a few variations like Gundam Collection DX and Gundam Collection Neo. There seem to be a lot more of these on sale compared to MFS, and this is even recent enough to include series like Igloo.

Thank you very much for this suggestion, this expands my shopping options quite a bit.

Riah
August 8, 2015, 11:37 AM
The creator of MS Era table top war game suggests using the 1/300 Strategy of Gundam figures. They seem to be made for just this sort of thing. I think there was a war game that used these things, but it's Japanese only.

Looking at Ebay prices, they appear fairly affordable. Like $5 for that two pack and $50 for a pack of nine. But for about the same price there's a 34 pack of SEED Gundam Collection ones. So Gundam Collection might be the way to go.

darkonezero
August 8, 2015, 11:54 AM
Thank you for the suggestion Riah. The Strategy of Gundam figures do look very nice and fit what I'm looking for, especially the Strategy of Gundam Extra series from that pictures. My only concern with this is how I don't get many results on Ebay and the lack of variety, but the latter issue is probably due to not seeing enough of the different sets available. I'll look further into this one, but it does seem to be the more expensive of the figures I've seen so far.

Mendou
August 8, 2015, 11:06 PM
I've been wanting to track down S.O.G. figures, but what is currently on eBay is the most I've seen available there ever. (They appealed to me because they were heavily detailed and in more-or-less the same scale as Battletech minis.) For sheer availability and variety, Gundam Collection worked out much better for me--to say nothing of the smaller scale being easier to store and transport.