PDA

View Full Version : COOKING/FOOD general discussion thread.

Zaku
June 9, 2015, 4:15 PM
I looked to see if there wasn't one already and i dont see one. so any of you like to cook? im no bad ass chef or anything but i like to play at it and am not afraid to work my ass of in the kitchen. im just now getting into the grilling scene and am just now learning that you have to sear meat to keep it from drying out. yea im a little late to the party but oh well. im not like going all out with it but we got a new grill and i decided id burn some stuff on it. lol. i do do a bit of cooking from scratch. ive made brunswick stew and custard and bread and cake from scratch. its a lot of work but if you make a lot at one time its damn worth it. so yea who here cooks? even just simple stuff

Zeon's RedComet
June 9, 2015, 4:19 PM
The extent of ZRC's culinary prowess:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/7/73/Mama_instant_noodle_block.jpg/250px-Mama_instant_noodle_block.jpg

Zaku
June 9, 2015, 4:25 PM
lol. you know i was thinking about trying to make some legit ramen noodles. making it myself is probably the only way id be able to get my hands on real legit ramen noodles.

Dlinker
June 9, 2015, 5:08 PM
I can only cook basic stuff (fried eggs, spaghetti, fried rice, certain Filipino dishes, ramen) and since getting married, my skills have gotten rusty since my wife prefers to do all of the cooking. I will say this about food, though: Those food saver bags and devices really do work. Many times my wife prepared dishes a week ahead of time, bagged them up, sealed them, and put them in the freezer. When it came time to eat them, they still tasted great even after a week in the freezer.

Zaku
June 9, 2015, 7:18 PM
got any recipes for those Filipino dishes? and maybe she would like it if you cooked together. would be all romantic n shit. and yea those vacuum freezer bags are awesome.

- - - Updated - - -

ok so here are a few recipes my grandmother gave me a while ago. some are just the standard way everyone makes something but hey if it isnt broke dont fix it. and some as far as i know are her versions.

BAKED ZITI. (honestly not a big fan of this anymore, i guess its just cause i HAD to eat it so much when i was little i got tired of it and now that im older i just dont like it. i love everything that goes into it. like bell peppers, love em. cheese, come on who does not love cheese. noodles, duh. tomatoes, love em. but just not a fan of this dish. i just figured there may be someone on here who sees this and thinks "that sounds awesome i gotta try it" to each their own.)

1 pound Ziti noodles, cooked and rinsed.
3 cups sliced sweet red, green and yellow bell peppers.
1 bag (8 ounces) shredded Cheddar cheese.
1 bag (8 ounces) shredded Monterrey jack cheese.
1 can (28 ounces) whole crushed tomatoes open the can and pour out 1/4 of the juice. (not sure why but its part of the recipe)
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon pepper
1 cup of half and half milk
1/2 cup seasoned breadcrumbs

how to make it.
heat oven to 350.
grease a 13x9x2 inch pan
mix ziti noodles, sweet peppers, cheeses, tomatoes, salt and pepper into a bowl then pour in half and half milk. cover with aluminum foil.
bake at 350 for 30 minutes then uncover and top with bread crumbs. then bake another 30 minutes until the top is crispy.

ok now for one i like. a lot. maybe to much. lol
KING RANCH CHICKEN (this does not take long to make and tastes just as good if you cheat and buy a rotisserie chicken already cooked from the store on your way home from work. this stuff is crazy good. MAKE IT! ITS WORTH IT!)

what you need
1 green bell pepper chopped
1 medium sweet onion chopped
1 can of cream of chicken soup
1 can of cream of mushroom soup
2 cans of Rotel original diced tomatoes (its diced tomatoes and green chilies)
2 cups cubed cooked chicken ( im tellin ya, its easier just to go pick up a rotisserie chicken from the store. and screw dicing it, i just rip it apart then throw all the bones n stuff out. use the whole chicken its fine.)
2 cups shredded cheddar cheese.
a pack of soft flower tortillas.

how to make it.
pre-heat oven to 325
mix pepper, onion, soups, tomatoes and chicken into a bowl. (the biggest bowl you have, things are about to get messy. mix em good)
layer in a casserole (<thank you spell check) dish the tortillas just enough to cover the bottom. then about half the mix then more tortillas then the rest of the mix then top with cheese.
then bake with foil on top fo 40 minutes to 50 minutes. (to get the peppers done)

ill post more later.

Dlinker
June 10, 2015, 11:21 AM
Those seem to be some tasty dishes, judging by the ingredients. And they don't seem to be difficult to cook. I might keep those handy for whenever I have to cook, haha.

Sadly, I don't have recipes handy for the Filipino dishes I eat often, but I'll be sure to post them here when I do get them. About helping my wife cook, I do help her from time to time, especially for dishes that have a number of components to them. However, she often prefers that I stay out of the way :D In exchange, I always volunteer to do the dishes afterwards.

Hmmm, now that I remember it, there is one Filipino dish I love eating no matter what time of day. It doesn't really require a lot of cooking though:

1 or 2 Eggs
2 Tomatoes
A couple bowls of rice
Some olive oil
Some chopped or minced garlic
Some Tinapa (Filipino salted fish)

Slice the tomatoes, then add some salt. Next, fry the eggs sunny side up, adding some salt and pepper to season. Next, pour some olive oil on a skillet and sautee the minced garlic for 15 seconds on high heat, then add the rice and mix. Lower heat to medium and keep mixing until rice has a slight golden brown color. Once that's done, take the Tinapa and fry them in some vegetable oil for a few minutes. Serve them all together on the same plate, though I find it better to keep the Tinapa and tomatoes on a separate plate/bowl.

Zeta
June 10, 2015, 2:29 PM
I cook sometimes. A few days ago, I made a couple of homemade biscuit and egg sandwiches with country ham in about 20 minutes flat. Another time I made fried catfish (wasn't exactly perfect, but they were still good).

Zaku
June 10, 2015, 3:19 PM
that does sound good Dlinker. although im not sure where id get salted fish from. but if i find some ill try to make it. it does not sound hard. and i like to take catfish and wrap it in aluminum foil with lemon and whatever seasoning i feel like and bake it. the foil seals it all in and oh man its so good.

Dlinker
June 10, 2015, 5:36 PM
Yeah, I don't know where you'd find oriental supermarkets near your neck of the woods. Supposedly you can make your own too. Haven't tried it myself thanks to so many oriental stores near my house.

Zaku
June 10, 2015, 6:09 PM
yea i wish it wasent the case but there are none anywhere near me.

Zeta
June 13, 2015, 1:25 PM
Who here is up for some Gundam themed pancakes?

http://gundamguy.blogspot.com/2015/05/gundam-themed-pancakes-are-you-hungry.html

http://gundamguy.blogspot.com/2015/06/gundam-themed-pancakes-are-you-hungry.html

Dlinker
June 14, 2015, 12:51 AM
I'll take the Z'Gok, GM, and the Gyan. They are the most appetizing for me, haha.

Zeta
June 14, 2015, 1:37 AM
And I"ll take the Bright Noa, Last Shooting, and Char one. Seriously though, how did they do that?

Dlinker
June 15, 2015, 11:51 AM
I saw gif a while back of someone making a similar pancake. The darker parts are batter placed on first. Additional batter is placed after to make up the lighter parts, all applied using a bottle similar to the ketchup/mustard squirt bottles found in fast food joints for precision.

Zeta
June 15, 2015, 3:36 PM
That's ingenious.

Zaku
June 15, 2015, 9:23 PM
i want a GM pancake. lol I EAT GM'S FOR BREAKFAST!!

IronDirewolf
June 18, 2015, 11:56 PM
My wife grew up in a family deeply rooted in the restaurant industry, which is her excuse as to why she cannot cook at all. (she claims it meant she never had to learn)

I'm not a master or anything, but I can do certain things well. I can do decent burgers and tacos, and sometimes chicken. I do get a fair bit of praise for my mac and cheese.

My sister is significantly better than me. But then again, she went to culinary school, was part of an award winning culinary competition team, and now works in a pretty awesome restaurant in Florida. Still won't teach me anything...

Dlinker
June 19, 2015, 11:33 AM
I've heard stories of chefs not cooking for themselves once they got some successful restaurants going (they did the cooking for the chefs) so it doesn't sound surprising that your wife didn't learn to cook, haha.

In other news, my father-in-law came back from the Philippines yesterday and as usual he brought food with him. Loads of fresh Tinapa, all vaccuum sealed which pretty much guarantees dinner for my wife and I for the next month. Then there was the junk food, notably these crunchy dried green peas that I found to be extremely addicting.

Zeta
September 13, 2015, 3:14 AM
So my parents took me out to dinner tonight for my B-day, and we ate at this restaurant called the Bluewater Grill. It's pretty nice as it's located right on Balboa Harbor in Newport Beach. I had a chipotle blackened swordfish that was caught locally and cut at the restaurant, and served with a spicy seasoned rice and sweet corn. My gosh, it was delicious. It was spicy without being overpowering. The fish was cooked very well and nice and tender. We also had a cup of New England clam chowder, and a crab and artichoke dip. All-in-all, a great dinner.

Zaku
September 13, 2015, 5:38 AM
That sounds really good man.

Dlinker
September 14, 2015, 10:52 AM
Wow, kinda forgot this thread existed, haha. Anyways, I haven't been eating a lot of interesting stuff lately thanks to my cholesterol issue. But, I can say that I have been eating well still. Breakfast became more streamlined, consisting of oatmeal, slices of apples, some cinnamon, and some natural maple syrup to sweeten. Lunch, at least during weekends, now consists of salads mostly. The wife found a really good recipe for homemade Caesar Salad dressing that is just amazing and I happen to love Caesar Salad.

Dinner is where things are still kinda iffy. Between going out to eat at our usual haunts and being lazy with cooking, I haven't been eating as healthy as I should be.

Kirky82
September 14, 2015, 9:47 PM
I've just finished a 9 week diet/training program and the food wasn't bad. Had to get used to eating all natural, no choc etc.... which killed my partner lol but our meal serving sizes and cooking skills improved.

I'll post up some recipes when at home, there were some good healthy ones in there that tasted awesome@!

Dlinker
September 15, 2015, 11:28 AM
No chocolate at all? Or did you mean the usual chocolates?

Zaku
September 15, 2015, 12:28 PM
id like to see that Kirky its rare you find healthy stuff that taste good. like i like steak rare like really rare but it isnt good for you. but ooooohhh man its so good. that irony blood taste is good.

Zeta
September 15, 2015, 4:52 PM
id like to see that Kirky its rare you find healthy stuff that taste good. like i like steak rare like really rare but it isnt good for you. but ooooohhh man its so good. that irony blood taste is good.

I never eat steak rare, too raw for me.

Kirky82
September 15, 2015, 10:53 PM

Will do tonight, I have to go through and plan my meals for the next few days anyway.

It was a diet from Danny Green (The boxer, Australian) a 9 week workout and eating program.

No chocolate at all? Or did you mean the usual chocolates?

Yep no chocolate at all, not hard for me as I can live without sweets (Just switched to black coffee instead of latte's)

Dlinker
September 16, 2015, 11:04 AM
Man, that's something I can never do. Luckily, my blood sugar isn't a problem so I can still enjoy it from time to time and I'm not really picky with what kind of chocolates to eat so I'm okay with the darker, less sweeter variety.

In the meantime, I recently started using shredded cabbage for salads instead of Romaine lettuce. I should have done this a long time ago; Tastes better and is healthier.

tried42long
September 17, 2015, 4:08 PM
I never eat steak rare, too raw for me.
I tried rare steak sometimes. Definitely easier to handle and more tasty for me. Iron blood taste so metal, haha.

Anyway, 'been surviving with instant noodles and cereal the past 4 days, lol.:(