PDA

View Full Version : Mc models rx-93 v gundoom build

ASH74
November 8, 2014, 1:44 PM
At the request of several members, this thread will be my review as I do a straight build the RX-93 Gundoom. Feel free to add your questions and comments as things move along.

And away we go....

* The kit comes in a decent sized box. I've only built one Master Grade kit before and its about that size or a little larger. Just like Bandai, it has cool art on the lid and a great representation of the kit all around the sides.

* Opening the box you have the instruction book and parts. There are 16 runners with this kit. Pretty impressive. The bottom or interior part of the box that holds all the parts is much thinker and sturdier than a standard Gundam kit too. Not necessarily important.... I just thought it was interesting. The instruction manual is large and well laid out, much like most Gundam kits.

* The sticker sheet was a little jacked out of the box. I tend not to use the stickers so it wasn't a big deal for me but I know a number of you do.

ASH74
November 8, 2014, 1:58 PM
* Chest and upper torso. Easy enough to build. The vents on the chest gave me a bit of trouble for a second but that's because i have giant fingers more than anything suspect with the kit. I also discovered they included a duplicate set of poly caps which came in handy when I dropped one and the dog ate it.

* The backpack. Another quick and simple part to build

* This is the backpack attached to the chest area. As you can see it doesn't sit quite right or line up very well. It's not awful but it is out of whack just a bit.

* The Head. This gave me a few fits. Most of the heads do because my fingers are so large and some of the parts are so small and/or fragile. As you can see from this shot it's not like a Gundam where the eyes are a different color. I don't usually use the stickers because the eyes always stand out on a Gundam kit. Here they'll need to be painted if I don't place the stickers on at some point.

* Another shot of the head on the upper body. The head has some good articulation. Most kits do but I've had a couple that don't because of the design. This rotates and swivels in all the right ways.

thwalker13
November 8, 2014, 2:03 PM
So far from the looks of it, it seems to be on par with a HG 1/100 kit. I really don't see anything that screams MG quality. Those chest vents would bother me like crazy, it seems as though they really don't fit in those slots. Like the chest was molded for a different kit and they just threw the vents in there cause they looked cool.

pinski1015
November 8, 2014, 6:12 PM
Are these licensed by Bandai or Bootlegs?

Zeta
November 8, 2014, 6:16 PM
Bootlegs. That should have been obvious.

Dlinker
November 8, 2014, 8:11 PM
Not licensed by Bandai, definitely, but certainly not a bootleg in the traditional sense since Bandai doesn't make this same exact kit.

Seems more like a hybrid between an HG 1/100 and a standard MG kit, but with the additional benefit of more surface detail (going by the head and backpack so far). Can't wait to see the legs and weapons.

Zaku
November 8, 2014, 8:13 PM
i really like the head sculpt. other than that though it seems "Meh" but not to bad.

skulblaka-ven
November 9, 2014, 12:52 AM
Interesting. I always curious about kits from McModels, although not enough to make me to get one. From the look, the quality closer to NG 1/100 than MG as thwalker13 said, and the detail seem a bit off and cheap, maybe its just me.
How about the plastic quality?

Now I remember a quote by Jeremy Clarkson of Top Gear, "Copyright Infringement doesn't seem translate well into Mandarin.' :D

Zeta
November 9, 2014, 1:35 AM
Now I remember a quote by Jeremy Clarkson of Top Gear, "Copyright Infringement doesn't seem translate well into Mandarin.' :D

That's funny.

thwalker13
November 9, 2014, 3:44 PM

Lmao. I got a good laugh out of that. I'm also interested to know about the plastic quality.

Zaku
November 9, 2014, 4:12 PM
Haha. And if they sole it separate id buy the head for a franken gundam.

Squee
November 9, 2014, 4:28 PM
Not licensed by Bandai, definitely, but certainly not a bootleg in the traditional sense since Bandai doesn't make this same exact kit.

Seems more like a hybrid between an HG 1/100 and a standard MG kit, but with the additional benefit of more surface detail (going by the head and backpack so far). Can't wait to see the legs and weapons.

It's a bootleg. Not only is it using a design that is owned by bandai, but it is a copy of a resin kit. They basically took 2 different companies ideas and combined them.

On another note, jeez, that seam on the head is horrible.

Dlinker
November 10, 2014, 2:21 AM
^ Now that I think about it, you're right. I guess the only thing different between it and other bootlegs is that there isn't this specific kit being produced by Bandai (like the DM TGIII which is now a fully-qualified bootleg).

ASH74
November 15, 2014, 6:31 AM
So far from the looks of it, it seems to be on par with a HG 1/100 kit. I really don't see anything that screams MG quality. Those chest vents would bother me like crazy, it seems as though they really don't fit in those slots. Like the chest was molded for a different kit and they just threw the vents in there cause they looked cool.

I got the same feeling about the vents.

You're right though... this is a very detailed 1/100 HG kit.

- - - Updated - - -

On another note, jeez, that seam on the head is horrible.

There are several bad seams on this kit.

A few of them were due to the parts being tight and you really have to squeeze to get them to seal up. Others... are just bad seams.

- - - Updated - - -

Interesting. I always curious about kits from McModels, although not enough to make me to get one. From the look, the quality closer to NG 1/100 than MG as thwalker13 said, and the detail seem a bit off and cheap, maybe its just me.
How about the plastic quality?

The plastic is a little "thinner" in spots and in other places I can't seem to tell but I've not been at this hobby as seriously as some of you or as long. As for the detail I think it's pretty good in a lot of places. You'll see what I mean when I get the chance to post more pics.

Love the quote as well. LOL

- - - Updated - - -

Haha. And if they sole it separate id buy the head for a franken gundam.

There are a few extra parts for the head in the kit.
Not the whole head mind you but maybe enough you could use them.

I'll let you know once I'm done.

- - - Updated - - -

Was a little busy this week but got the kit mostly finished.
Here are some more pics and thoughts on the Gundoom.

* Arm and Shoulder. Pretty simple. I thought it was interesting that the shoulder unit slips over the peg on the upper body and it then held/locked into place when you attach the arm. However if you look at the joint at the elbow, it allows for it to bend/fold bit if you try to rotate the joint it pops out.

* The Leg. Look at that separation.....
* Just look at it.... ugh. No where near as bad on the other leg but, damn. That has to be the worst separation I've had in any kit.

* Other than the separation, the leg looks pretty good. It moves and poses really well.

* Here he is completed. For a non-Gundam kit I think he looks pretty good despite some obvious flaws in the molding of the parts. As stated a few times above he's more or less a HG 1/100 scale kit. For what I paid I'm happy with him and have some ideas to panel line and paint him up.

I'll post some more pics of the weapons and some posing this weekend.

thwalker13
November 15, 2014, 10:06 AM
Oh man, those seam lines look awful. It'll take some good putty work to fill those. I also see another seam on the hip joint as well. And judging from the arm photo, it doesn't come with pose-able hands?

skulblaka-ven
November 15, 2014, 1:58 PM
Yep, those seamlines just ruin it. Does this kit have inner frame?
What interesting though, they actually mold amuro ray insignia on the shoulder part.

Dlinker
November 16, 2014, 10:13 PM
So this kit is pretty much a more detailed "older kit" in terms of how much work you might need to do on it. That means I'll have to shelve the idea that this will be a straightforward project when I buy one.

ASH74
November 17, 2014, 2:45 PM
Oh man, those seam lines look awful. It'll take some good putty work to fill those. I also see another seam on the hip joint as well. And judging from the arm photo, it doesn't come with pose-able hands?

No pose-able hands.
It does come with four sets of hands in all though.

- - - Updated - - -

Yep, those seamlines just ruin it. Does this kit have inner frame?
What interesting though, they actually mold amuro ray insignia on the shoulder part.

No real inner frame. It's not Master Grade level at all. Just a lot of parts

- - - Updated - - -

So this kit is pretty much a more detailed "older kit" in terms of how much work you might need to do on it. That means I'll have to shelve the idea that this will be a straightforward project when I buy one.

Exactly. For some of you guys it would be a lot of extra work to make it look "show quality" like I know you guys like to build 'em. Still... for the price I picked this up for there are some redeeming qualities and I still need to post up the weapons (which might make this kit worth while for some of you).

ledmirageb4
November 17, 2014, 3:49 PM
This kit was probably a copy of the "NU Gundam".

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-zurMluOBQVk/T_5jNTDIh8I/AAAAAAAC1q0/OmPb3naNsmI/s1600/60.jpg

You can check out the above link. You can see alot of similarities. This "Nu Gundam Evolve" is a conversion kit from vicious project.

Check out the similarities.

Rika
November 22, 2014, 10:36 AM
I think their pretty good kits, the seems are not unfixable

Squee
November 22, 2014, 11:37 AM
This kit was probably a copy of the "NU Gundam".

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-zurMluOBQVk/T_5jNTDIh8I/AAAAAAAC1q0/OmPb3naNsmI/s1600/60.jpg

You can check out the above link. You can see alot of similarities. This "Nu Gundam Evolve" is a conversion kit from vicious project.

Check out the similarities.

Yea they cloned it. They released copy of the original resin kit, but then decided to make a ground version. I wonder if they did it to try to make it their own, or just to get the most money out of the mold lol

gundammonkey
November 28, 2014, 8:43 AM
I built this kit. It is O.K. it is more of a HG in quality and articulation, there isn't any really. I do like the way the shield opens kind of like the banshee from Unicorn but that's about it. I also have there other 93 NU gundam full armor. Now that one sucks. tHe only good thing about that kit is the gun and maybe the shield.

ASH74
April 16, 2015, 12:41 PM
Circumstances forces me to shelve this kit for a while but I'm itching to get back into it and finish it out. I certainly want to fix some of the seams and maybe paint it. Apply some decals at least.

iamthebest22
April 16, 2015, 1:07 PM
Look forward to it, I just got the Bandai HWS and normal NU version, but I'm debating whether to get this MC model (I just got the MC model's newest Qubeley) nu hws gundoom or their Xi gundam. This should help me decide.