PDA

View Full Version : MechaEevee's wips

MechaEevee
October 15, 2014, 2:51 AM
I figured I would post my own works in progress and get some feedback from other users out there. I've been out of the hobby for a few months now so I'm doing a little practice on a SD Sazabi. I decided to go with a standard red coloring with a little metallics and battle damage thrown in.

Update 10/27/14
The SD Sazabi is complete. For more pictures please see post #13
http://i58.tinypic.com/b4x47t.jpg

Update 12/15/2014
The HG Rozen Zulu is complete. For more pictures please see post #42
http://i60.tinypic.com/10zolxj.jpg

thwalker13
October 15, 2014, 8:25 AM
Good progress thus far. I like the shading that you did.

Dlinker
October 15, 2014, 11:01 AM
Pre-shading takes practice to get it done right and it looks like you're in the right direction. The coats look good from the pics. What did you use to prime your parts?

MechaEevee
October 15, 2014, 2:47 PM
@thwalker13 Thank you

@Dlinker I just use Tamiya White Surface Primer in the rattle can. I haven't tried a wide range of primer but so far its my favorite. I just don't like the price.

Also a short update. I've primed the chest, waist, and weapons. Tomorrow I'll paint them them and prime the arms and legs. Once they are done I will move onto detail work!

Sazabee
October 15, 2014, 2:52 PM
Since you are already on Vallejo, I suggest using their Primer.

So good and so much all for $12.

Good looking' work so far. Looking to see what the rest will look like.

MechaEevee
October 16, 2014, 11:26 PM
I'll pick some up for sure and try it. I do like how they have a wider range of primer than just white and grey.

- - - Updated - - -

Well I painted up the chest and waist last night. Then spent today doing some weathering and a little detailing.

This picture is from shortly after airbrushing the chest and waist.

I used Vallejo Chrome on the rifle.

The did some light weathering by dry brushing.

Here is the Sazabi as it sits on my desk. I'm pleased how the weathering came out. Now I just need to detail the battle damage.

MechaEevee
October 18, 2014, 4:29 AM
Made some more progress today. I had nothing to do all day so I was able to prime, paint, and detail the arms today. I was also able to get the fuel tanks and one of the funnel launchers done. Once I get the legs done I'll go over a few areas with a wash the varnish it and make a base for it.

Shponglefan
October 18, 2014, 10:28 PM
Nice work so far! Like the way the battle damage turned out.

Also, one comment on the Vallejo primers. They don't tend to sand very well, being a water-based acrylic. Rather than smoothing down, they tend to flake off. I switched to Tamiya primers because of that. But if you know you won't need to sand them, Vallejo primers do work nice especially given the range of color options.

MechaEevee
October 20, 2014, 2:37 PM
I have run into the flaking thing before a long time ago. I just figured it was old paint. I'll take a fwe test on some spoons and see what I like more. Cause $10 for a small can of primer is starting to eat my wallet.

Quick update on the model. In a delirious state of mind late night after a long day I decided to mod the other funnel pack. I looked at a few pictures of the MG version and noticed they split down the middle to fire. So I split my other on and made a plaplate bottom to hide the nubs. I don't have any pictures of it yet but I will by tomorrow when I have it primed and painted. I just hope I didn't ruin the part.

Sazabee
October 20, 2014, 4:16 PM
I have run into the flaking thing before a long time ago. I just figured it was old paint. I'll take a fwe test on some spoons and see what I like more. Cause $10 for a small can of primer is starting to eat my wallet.

Quick update on the model. In a delirious state of mind late night after a long day I decided to mod the other funnel pack. I looked at a few pictures of the MG version and noticed they split down the middle to fire. So I split my other on and made a plaplate bottom to hide the nubs. I don't have any pictures of it yet but I will by tomorrow when I have it primed and painted. I just hope I didn't ruin the part.

This makes me want a SD Sazabi... Man good looking progress!

Also didn't notice you are from College Station! Attending A&M? If any chance you are in Austin, I started a club and we've been growing pretty nicely and just held a contest.

It's in my Signature, go check us out!

MechaEevee
October 20, 2014, 6:08 PM
Thank you @Sazabee I'm very happy with the kit itself, its a fun little project.

And yeah I'm from College Station I'm actually attending Blinn, or more accurately I'll be going back in the spring. I actually updated the info after I looked at your signature. I've already joined the FB page and loving all the models that the members are doing. Sadly I couldn't take off work to make it up to your previous meet-up/contest. I'm so happy to see a good sized club here in Texas. You will defiantly see me at some meet-ups and I'm already planning my entry to your next contest.

Added some pictures of the funnel launcher/pack. Nothing special just a basic split down the middle.

Dlinker
October 21, 2014, 1:25 AM
That split looks pretty good, almost like it was that way out of the box.

MechaEevee
October 26, 2014, 2:53 AM
Thank you @Dlinker, I just followed the panel line that ran through the middle. I'm so happy they had added that detail or else it would have been much harder to create the split. I had thought about using the extra funnels and making trails for them coming out of the launcher. Sadly I don't have the time or willpower to power through making them. So I split up the actually funnels and I'm just putting them inside as it they are about to be launched.

As it stands I have the legs and split funnel launcher primed. I'm going to let the primer cure then move on to painting and detailing later tonight. I also killed some time and varnished the rifle, shield, and entire right arm. I can see the end and I'm getting hyped. I can't wait to see this little guy finished!

- - - Updated - - -

Well the time has finally come. I've finished the SD Sazabi! It has actually been finished since Friday but I've been busy. Overall I'm happy with it, its the first model I've finished in a very long time. Looking at it I'm able to see my flaws and what I need to do to make a better model next time. I'm sad to admit I did rush the legs just a little. I didn't think about the seam line until I had painted the parts. That mistake is simply due to rushing and not being patient. I might come back to it one day and make a scenic base, but if that ever happens it will be a long while. Anyways enough with the block of text. Please enjoy the pictures!

gundamENGR
October 26, 2014, 9:25 AM
Dude this little guy looks awesome! Loving all the little damage and weathering, I'm way too daunted by the mg sazabi atm, but looking at this guy I may consider the SD version. Great work dude!

Dlinker
October 26, 2014, 10:14 PM
Overall, it looks great. Paint finish is clean, the weathering and battle damage isn't extreme, and the detailing enhances instead of detracting. If I may make a suggestion for future weathering efforts on the colored areas, adding a bit of rust might make it look even better. As it is, it reminds me more of a machine with an incomplete or haphazard paint job.

thwalker13
October 27, 2014, 8:13 AM
Amazing work man. The shading and dry brushing that you did looks great! I think it really bring a sense of a war machine to the kit.

@Dlinker: I think the way he did the weathering is rather fitting for the Sazabi. When I saw it I got a sense of it just came back from a battle with the Nu and it got damaged. Plus, can metal rust in space?

Dlinker
October 27, 2014, 11:39 AM
Hmmm, good point about the rust, especially if you consider it to be a purely space-based machine. However, it's a bit odd that there isn't some kind of soot or dark marks around the weathered areas as well as the appearance of paint chipping which can enhance the existing work.

jayhat100
October 27, 2014, 12:18 PM
Love it everything is coming out good can't wait to see it complete

thwalker13
October 27, 2014, 12:47 PM
Hmmm, good point about the rust, especially if you consider it to be a purely space-based machine. However, it's a bit odd that there isn't some kind of soot or dark marks around the weathered areas as well as the appearance of paint chipping which can enhance the existing work.

Now that you mention that, I see what you mean. And I agree, a little bit of scorching on those missing chunks would go a long way.

MechaEevee
October 27, 2014, 10:13 PM
Thanks for the feedback, I did try to throw a little rust on it. If I had a better quality camera it the attempt might be more visible. I found that the rust wasn't showing very well in the few areas that I tried. So instead of just throwing more paint at it I just stopped. The look I was going for was it coming back after a space battle, after going through a few explosions and some physical combat. This really was my first attempt at this sort of weathering on a Gundam. I'm used to warhammer minis and some things I tried didn't carry over very well which I expected. Next time I think I will pick up a set of dry pigments and see where that takes me. I really do wish I could have got the rust to go right.

And the thing about rust in space isn't something I've ever really given a lot of thought to. I would guess if the suit purely stayed in the vacuum that i might not start rusting or at least it would slow down the process a lot. Once it returned to the hanger and being exposed to the oxygen and what not needed for the crew the rusting process would start normally.

@jayhat100 This little guy is done. I feel at my current skill level anything more I do to it will come across as muddy. Thus bringing is down a peg.

gundamENGR
October 28, 2014, 1:04 AM
So how does dry pigment weathering work?

MechaEevee
October 28, 2014, 1:23 AM
Just load up a brush or some sort of applicator with the pigments and just brush em in to the areas that you want weathered. If you put too much just clean it. Then just top coat after to seal them in place.Tamiya make a decent set from what I understand.

Quaos
October 28, 2014, 1:40 AM
Really, really like this. I'm a big fan of SDs especially when they look this good!

gundamENGR
October 28, 2014, 9:28 PM
Ah ok very interesting, will have to try this at some point

MechaEevee
October 30, 2014, 3:43 PM
With the SD Sazabi done I wanted another kit. I decided to give HG 1/144 another chance. Since I'm not a big fan of HG, guess I'm spoiled to the details of MG. Anyways I picked up the YAMS-132 Rozen Zulu the other day. It really caught my eye. I don't know much about this gundam since I haven't watched much of UC. Here's the progress so far.

http://i58.tinypic.com/1raqte.jpg
(please ignore the drunk and naked heavyarms in the background)

http://i62.tinypic.com/ndr3mt.jpg

I realized I had these pearl inks sitting around so I'm going to try and get them to work on some spoons first before I resort to mixing paints.

-update-
I sprayed some spoons so see how the pearl inks I have react. This makers of the ink don't recommend it to be used in an airbrush due to the large pearl pigments, but I found little issue with it. The only problem is it wont do small area work due to light clogging. I also tried to pre-shade but that didn't work in the slightest. The ink is too thin and wont blend the shade properly. So i'm thinking to do a straight paint job. I'll do panel lining and then a gloss coat over everything. I want it to look as if it has never seen battle. Right now its fully assembled and ready for paint. Please stay tuned for more updates.

http://i57.tinypic.com/2v368m9.jpg
The pink looks much darker in the picture due to improper lighting and cell phone quality picture.

gundamENGR
November 10, 2014, 3:53 PM
Ooh both colors look very pearly should be shiny :)

MechaEevee
November 11, 2014, 5:41 AM
I was surprised that the inks worked so well. I haven't had the chance to use them on the model yet. Hopefully it come out better than the spoon. The purple will look a little brighter since I probably wont use an undercoat of chrome like I did on the spoon.

Also I learned that Valejo Gloss apparently goes bad very fast. I bought a bottle just a couple of months ago. I have stored it properly but it still went bad. It turned a weird yellow and when I sprayed it. It actually ended up giving a matte sheen instead of gloss. So I'm going to need to find another gloss top coat.

Dlinker
November 11, 2014, 11:10 AM
Where do you get your paint supplies from? There are a few good options for an acrylic gloss coat. Tamiya and Alclad come to mind, as well as Mr. Hobby if you prefer the spray can route.

Those spoons remind me of my experiments with Model Masters Chrome and their metallic purple. How tough is the coat?

MechaEevee
November 11, 2014, 3:40 PM
I get my supplies from my local HobbyTown and HobbyLobby. Since those are the only places to get supplies in my town. I miss my chance to pick up some Alclad last time I was in San Antonio.

I just tested the coat on the spoons for you. That ink is though! I tried to rub off the paint with my fingers, nothing. Then scratched it with my nails, nothing. A toothpick just seemed to reduce the shininess. Finally a knife took it right off but that was expected.

Here is the name and picture of the ink in case anyone wants to try them out. I normally use the regular black to make washes instead of buying them. Daler Rowney FW. Pearlescent Platinum Pink is the one featured in the picture.
http://i61.tinypic.com/30cot8x.jpg
http://i59.tinypic.com/15wchfo.jpg

Dlinker
November 11, 2014, 5:16 PM
Hmmm, interesting. I'll note that down in my list of paints to try out. Your initial experience with its toughness sounds very promising!

thwalker13
November 11, 2014, 8:39 PM
Wow, I honestly thought that was nail polish when I 1st saw the bottle. I think it would look right at home on the Rozen Zulu.

Bossguy
November 11, 2014, 8:48 PM
That color fits the Rozen Zulu very well. It's the color that it should have been right out of the box.

MechaEevee
November 12, 2014, 3:37 AM
The colors do seem to be a perfect match. I played for about two hours trying to mix paint and note the ratios with some metallic blue and red. Until I remembered that I had these. I should Have to paint on the model by Friday. I did make a small decision to not post a lot of update posts on this one. I decided to enter it in a contest on December 6th for the Austin Gundam Club. Thats right Sazabee I'll be attending this one! So on the 7th I'll upload the finished model for everyone to see. I'll still give a few in progress stuff to keep everyone interested so don't worry.

MechaEevee
November 22, 2014, 3:18 PM
Put some paint on the Rozen the other night. I'm going to be doing to waist and legs tonight. After that All I will need is some good gloss topcoat and I'll be done!

btw I new this pearl Ink would be a paint before I started it. But I didn't think it would be this bad. I feel bad for putting my airbrush through this level of torture. I will have to pamper and spoil it, in the hopes that it forgives me.

http://i62.tinypic.com/5umnh4.jpg

Sinervale
November 22, 2014, 4:07 PM
I really like how those colors came out.

Dlinker
November 24, 2014, 11:40 AM
The results are looking great, though. What kind of punishment did your AB have to go through for it?

MechaEevee
November 27, 2014, 3:02 PM
Just constant clogging and at one point the needle locked up. I'm really ocd about keeping it clean so that might be why I feel bad to doing that to it. I might pick up a ultasonic cleaner for it next month.

MechaEevee
December 4, 2014, 10:27 PM
Quick update, I have everything painted and put on two coats of gloss lacquer. All I have to do know is wait for it to cure, grab a new action base for it and it will be set! I will have full pictures of it up by Monday. For now please enjoy some in progress shots.

thwalker13
December 5, 2014, 9:20 AM
Man, I am loving the colors on that kit. And the detailing and the Sleeves trim looks so crisp and fantastic.

Dlinker
December 5, 2014, 12:09 PM
This is coming out really nice. You going to do any panel lining on it?

MechaEevee
December 5, 2014, 6:43 PM
Thanks guys, I guess I don't feel the same about the trim. I used a fine tipped brush and did three coats of white for every line. I could have done a much better job of it. But the gloss really does hide the mistakes of the white.

Also I'm not going to panel line it. Though I really should have... well .. I might it could use it in the segments of the nose and waist. Other than that there are no panel lines on this guy. We'll see.

MechaEevee
December 15, 2014, 3:05 PM
Well guys sorry for the very long delay. I got a new schedule at work and its been a rough time adjusting to it. Anyways, The Rozen is finished, I even did some panel lining on it even though I had said I wouldn't. I guess I had a momentary lapse in judgement and just wanted to be done with it. Now on to the pictures!

http://i60.tinypic.com/2mxlbi8.jpg

http://i61.tinypic.com/2vkxqv8.jpg

http://i62.tinypic.com/dlgb5d.jpg

http://i62.tinypic.com/2sayr7s.jpg

I already have my next kit planned. I'm starting it tonight and hopefully it shouldn't take too long. The next project is a Beargguy custom and I'm really excited for it!

Dlinker
December 15, 2014, 3:26 PM
I have to say, this came out better than expected. Was the white trim masked when painted? Also, are you going to keep using those paints for your next kit?

MechaEevee
December 15, 2014, 4:04 PM
The white trim was done by hand with a fine brush about three coats of white per line. The gloss really made it come together. Also I'm not going to be using the same stuff for my next kit. This paintjob was a a test of theory kind of thing. I hated using those pearl inks it was just a nightmare. For the Beargguuy I'm going to be switching to Tamiya paints.

thwalker13
December 15, 2014, 6:48 PM
I think that it came out looking great man, although you had a difficult time with the pearl inks.