PDA

View Full Version : Gundam is back in the USA!!!

Pages : [1] 2

Zeta-G
October 11, 2014, 1:56 PM
Courtesy of Rightstuf. MSG and Turn A are first up. Reconguista also announced for stateside release. Finally Origin is getting a dub via NYAV Post!!!

Kenico
October 11, 2014, 1:58 PM
O_O...Dubbed Right?!

Zeta-G
October 11, 2014, 2:00 PM
As far as I know, no mention of Turn A or Reconguista getting dubs, so who knows on that front, but The Origin is a definite yes. MSG will most likely include the BEI dub.

Dom Tropen MS-09D
October 11, 2014, 2:00 PM
Hopefully. This is good news!

Zaku
October 11, 2014, 2:10 PM
My fingers are crossed but my breath is not held.

Zeta-G
October 11, 2014, 3:13 PM
Honestly, I'm surprised (and glad) that MSG is getting reissued before Wing. This is also a possible explanation for why ZZ and the other Gundam series got suddenly yanked from Daisuki with barely any warning. Here's hoping Right Stuf gives the releases their standard level of quality and care. If they do, I may have to double dip on the rereleases. Goes without saying that I am buying the new releases on day 1. Oh I t feels so good to be an American Gundam fan right now!!! Don't forget that Vertical has their panel tomorrow, and they've already indicated that they've been in negotiations for more Gundam titles.

- - - Updated - - -

Right Stuf has a press release out now. A ZZ release was confirmed to be incoming in addition to the previously announced titles.

Also Sunrise is actually handling the localizations with Right Stuf serving as the distribution arm, so basically this is an extension of Right Stuf's deal to distribute Gundam Unicorn.

Kenico
October 11, 2014, 3:16 PM
O_O

*Insert "Hallelujah!" Choir*

*Kenico Falls to his knees in tears*

PRAISE RIGHTSTUF! FINALLY, were on the road to getting all Gundam in the STATES!!!!

Dom Tropen MS-09D
October 11, 2014, 3:18 PM
This sounds better by the minute. Very promising!

Powerman293
October 11, 2014, 3:27 PM
I'm so glad we're getting new DVDs. I'm not a fan of MSG, Turn A, or Reconguista but I will try to buy the Origin.

Plamobot
October 11, 2014, 3:50 PM
I have no trouble throwing money at RightStuf. Their Unicorn releases are great. Hoping for BRD releases of Turn A in particular, and I'd love some dubs, but I'll buy them regardless. Excellent news indeed.

Kenico
October 11, 2014, 4:05 PM
please this means we may see a chance (even for a slight glimmer of hope) we may get X dubbed...even the slightness hope will do! ZZ, Victory (not gonna lie guys, with the exceptional annoyance towards Shak Ti, i like this series lol), Turn A, BF&Try (Hey, Im willing to roll the dice lol), and of course X I WANT these...Including Brave Battle Warriors! lol

NOTE: I moved this from the G Reco thread to avoid derailment lol.

Zeta-G
October 11, 2014, 4:48 PM
Honestly, I wouldn't count on getting dubs for ZZ, Victory, X, or Turn A. They're all old enough to be unlikely to win any new fans for the franchise, so Sunrise isn't likely to consider the additional cost for producing dubs for them to be worth it. That said, I'd love to be wrong. We'll find out for the older shows with Turn A as it'll be the first previously unavailable older Gundam series to be distributed by Right Stuf. Their release of Reconguista will probably be indicative of if their releases for more modern Gundam shows will receive a dub or not.

Kenico
October 11, 2014, 4:56 PM
Hey, I still love to roll the dice on this. I really hope that Turn A, Reco and the BF Series hopefully garner support and interest for older series. lol

Dom Tropen MS-09D
October 11, 2014, 5:02 PM
Well, MSG, 0083, Zeta, CCA, F91 all were more than a decade old when they got dubbed, so who knows, Let's have our fingers crossed for the best.

Kenico
October 11, 2014, 5:05 PM
That's the positive attitude right there! *Hands him a cookie...*

Dom Tropen MS-09D
October 11, 2014, 5:15 PM
Well Thank you.*Accepts the cookie*

PaladinGundam
October 11, 2014, 5:38 PM
I want Build Fighters to be dubbed and have the kids on Cartoon Network watch it. And even make an English Version of Nibun no Ichi. But if that were to happen, who would be perfect to sing the english version and even wanna make the english lyrics in the first place?

Kenico
October 11, 2014, 5:43 PM
#EPIC Build Fighters would be perfect for Daytime anime on CN lol.

Powerman293
October 11, 2014, 6:47 PM
Can I just get 00 blu-rays with the dubs on them please?

Zeta-G
October 11, 2014, 7:13 PM
Meh... I'd take sub-only X on VHS over 00 on Blu-Ray any day.

Dlinker
October 11, 2014, 7:42 PM
Cool, more stuff for me to spend on in the future. If Turn A is getting better subs at the very least, I'll be a very happy man. Same goes for X.

Kenico
October 11, 2014, 9:19 PM
lol. Man I look forward to X...if my dreams do come true :3...getting a dub, in any way...

PaladinGundam
October 11, 2014, 10:02 PM
Finally, get Axl from Megaman X8 to voice Garrod Ran. His voice actor voiced Garrod in DWG3, and I think he did a good job!

Zeta-G
October 11, 2014, 10:10 PM
According to Right Stuf, Sunrise apparently has retained the US TV broadcast rights for Gundam, so if Toonami wants to broadcast something, say Turn A, they have to go through Sunrise to get approval.

Right Stuf confirmed that different release formats are being considered for Gundam, but they have nothing to announce for the time being. Also they changed their official background image on their social media sites to a Gundam image; here's hoping they keep it that way.

Now that Gundam has a distributor in the US again, my greatest wish is for Gundam X to be the series that finally brings Gundam the western success that Bandai Japan has coveted for so long. It would serve them right for all the crap they've given X over the years (including refusing to allow Toonami and BEI to use it as the replacement for Wing).

Kenico
October 11, 2014, 10:31 PM
Question, Does that mean that older stuff that was once released via Bandai America will also be released (example G and Wing?)

- - - Updated - - -

On Right Stuf I mean? lol

Plamobot
October 11, 2014, 10:52 PM
Most likely.

Zeta-G
October 11, 2014, 11:31 PM
They've already confirmed MSG for a spring release. Plus the ANN article said they had licensed the whole franchise (which lines up with previous reports that Bandai was only willing to license Gundam as a whole franchise and that it was not willing to license Gundam titles on a piecemeal basis). They just haven't given definite release windows for anything other than MSG and Turn A. Wing and G will come eventually. I think they just want to satisfy the people who've been waiting forever for previously unlicensed series first.

If I had to guess, Sunrise (which is the company that is actually producing the localizations) will likely put priority on UC and Tomino shows. Therefore, Zeta will probably be reissued around the time ZZ gets released, and CCA & F91 will probably be reissued alongside Victory. X and the newer unreleased Gundam shows will probably get their releases some time after that (although Reconguista might come out during the UC releases, due to Tomino's involvement). The remaining reissues will probably come out chronologically alongside the new releases. That said, Wing might get squeezed out early on account of next year being its twentieth anniversary.

Kenico
October 11, 2014, 11:49 PM
So in other Words, all of UC will get released (or in certain cases Re-Released) first, then the AUs? Either way, it's awesome! lol

Zeta-G
October 11, 2014, 11:56 PM
That would be my guess, at least in terms of reissues.

Kenico
October 12, 2014, 12:00 AM
Honestly, I'm totally down with that. As long as we manage go get a possible dubbing of X, I am all for waiting and going through the reissuing of the UC...in fact I might welcome it with Victory...in fact, IMO who do you guys think would make a good Usso?

or better yet a Judau?

Plamobot
October 12, 2014, 12:50 AM
I'm also wondering if reissues of previously released shows will get an upgrade as they did in Japan. Wing, for example, had a very nice Japanese DVD remaster in 2002(?), IIRC, and with the recent BRD release, they could easily use that to press new discs for a domestic release. If that's the case, I'd definitely replace my Wing sets; the picture in those did look a bit dirty. (Actual dirt/damage, not film grain.)

Dom Tropen MS-09D
October 12, 2014, 12:54 AM
I would love if Zeta got an redub. Probably not gonna happen but I would love it if it did.

Powerman293
October 12, 2014, 1:31 AM
You guys think we might get Seed/destiny remaster Dubs? Even if it's just a little bit just to fit the new footage from the original ocean group voice actors?

Kenico
October 12, 2014, 1:56 AM
I was just thinking that! lol.

Zeta-G
October 12, 2014, 2:15 AM
I would think that it would be doable. Really, it wouldn't be much more than what they added for the TV movies.

As for the Zeta redub, I wouldn't count on it. Some people may hate on it, but it's really not that bad, and it would be a very expensive thing to completely redo just to satisfy a vocal minority of people. That said, if they could restore the OP/EDs, I'd rebuy Zeta in a heartbeat. It can't be that expensive; they managed to include Zeta's first OP for the first episode of Daisuki's stream of ZZ.

I think X, G, Victory, 0080, and 0083 are the only Gundam series still awaiting a blu-ray release in Japan. Well G-Saviour still doesn't have a blu-ray either, but as far as Bandai is concerned it never existed in the first place. :D

Powerman293
October 12, 2014, 2:36 AM
I would kill for dubs of the compilation movies for MSG and Zeta on blu-ray.

Zeta-G
October 12, 2014, 2:44 AM
I would kill for dubs of the compilation movies for MSG and Zeta on blu-ray.
There we go. Imagine if the dubs were done by NYAV Post (Unicorn, The Origin).

- - - Updated - - -

Some updates from Right Stuf's social media sites:
-Bandai Entertainment dubs will be included when available.
--No word on the dub status for Cosmic Era's HD remasters yet (although they have been asked).
-There are ongoing discussions for including BEI's Syd Mead interview.
-Turn A may get a dub, but it hasn't been decided yet.
-Blu-Rays releases are being considered, but nothing has been determined yet with regards to available formats.
-Episode 15 (the lost episode) may be included on their MSG release, but it hasn't been determined for sure yet.

Zeon's RedComet
October 12, 2014, 2:45 AM
I hope they can get Kopsa and Brad Swaile to be Char and Amuro at least. (Assumeing Origin goes that far, I think Origin in OVA form is only gonna be the back story parts of the manga)

Just wouldn't be the same to me without those two.

Zeta-G
October 12, 2014, 3:14 AM
Eh, I was fine with the dudes they used for Char and Amuro in Zeta's dub. The VHS movie trilogy dub on the other hand... oh dear lord was that painful. Oh crap, I just remembered that Right Stuf said that they'll use BEI dubs when available; this will not be a good thing in the case of the MSG trilogy.

Zeon's RedComet
October 12, 2014, 3:30 AM
Oh lord no.

Thank god I still have my old MSG DVDs laying arround anyways. Allways thought the movies were. 'Meh' compaired to the series.

- - - Updated - - -

That lord no being about the movie dubs.

Zeta
October 12, 2014, 3:31 AM
Perhaps they'll re-dub the MSG Trilogy.

Dom Tropen MS-09D
October 12, 2014, 3:35 AM
Yes, the movies dub is Terrible. ​

Zeta-G
October 12, 2014, 3:38 AM
I'm not worried about it. As long as the trilogy still has a Japanese option I'm good. That said, a new dub for it and the Zeta trilogy would be fantastic. That said, I want dubs for the various TV series more than anything. Afterall, Toonami can't air Gundam X, if it doesn't have a dub. ;)

Zeon's RedComet
October 12, 2014, 3:41 AM
Personally not a fan of the compliation movies.

X getting a dub would be nice, also if it was successful, it'd be a funny FU to bandai for holding it back. IMO it'd have been a better follow up to Wing and G on Toonami than SEED, I dunno I just think Garrod and the others would resonate better with Western Audiences than the Cast of SEED.

Zeta
October 12, 2014, 3:46 AM
I'm not worried about it. As long as the trilogy still has a Japanese option I'm good. That said, a new dub for it and the Zeta trilogy would be fantastic. That said, I want dubs for the various TV series more than anything. Afterall, Toonami can't air Gundam X, if it doesn't have a dub. ;)

I hate to break it to you, but the new Toonami can't air Gundam X today, even if they acquire a broadcast liecense. The reason being is that Gundam X is simply too old by today's standards (animation-wise at least). Really, if you look at their line-up, which includes GitS: SAC, FMA: Brotherhood, Attack on Titan, Hellsing Ultimate, etc., all of these titles were made in the past 10 years. Although, Cowboy Bebop is airing, so there could always be that slim chance.

Zaku
October 12, 2014, 3:46 AM
So on a scale of 1 to 10 how strong would you guys guess the fan base for gundam is right now in the US? My sister and a friend of mine from middle school are the only people in existence ive ever known who even know what Gundam is. I honestly couldent guess. On one hand its at least popular enough for them to test the waters again but on the other how many people do you actually know who even knows what anime is?

Dom Tropen MS-09D
October 12, 2014, 3:53 AM
I can tell you its far more than in Finland. Beside my self i havent met in person a single human in here who would have know about Gundam before i told them about it.

Zaku
October 12, 2014, 4:06 AM
Im sure finding anything Gundam related is hard for you man. Its just shy of impossible here.

Zeta-G
October 12, 2014, 4:09 AM
@Zeta: You do know that Toonami has expressed interest in the possibly airing Wing and Turn A relatively recently right? That's not even getting into their never ending fetish for airing Cowboy Bebop over and over again. X is old certainly, but it's not prohibitively old in the way that something like ZZ would be (especially not for the audience likely to be watching a late night anime block). Plus they had wanted to air X after Wing's original run. Consequently, if Gundam X aired on Toonami and was successful, the FU to Bandai would be priceless.

Dom Tropen MS-09D
October 12, 2014, 4:10 AM
Im sure finding anything Gundam related is hard for you man. Its just shy of impossible here.
Thank god the internet exists. Only Gundam related media ive come across in here are the Dynasty Warriors series, i have bought 2, 3 and Reborn of the series. Other than that nada.
Everything else must be ordered online.

Kenico
October 12, 2014, 4:15 AM
Gundam X: $34 Gazillion Dollars

Dubbing X: $23 Gazillion Dollars

Airing X: $ 3.4 Gazillion Dollars

Watching Bandai getting FU: Priceless

More better ways to do with MasterCard...

#EPIC TROLLING!!!!

Zaku
October 12, 2014, 4:20 AM
Lol dis guy

Zeta
October 12, 2014, 5:49 AM
@Zeta: You do know that Toonami has expressed interest in the possibly airing Wing and Turn A relatively recently right? That's not even getting into their never ending fetish for airing Cowboy Bebop over and over again. X is old certainly, but it's not prohibitively old in the way that something like ZZ would be (especially not for the audience likely to be watching a late night anime block). Plus they had wanted to air X after Wing's original run. Consequently, if Gundam X aired on Toonami and was successful, the FU to Bandai would be priceless.

True. Very true. I guess we will have to wait and see what Jason DeMarco will say.

Zeon's RedComet
October 12, 2014, 6:44 AM

Oh the FU would be god like.

I mean like...best thing ever, and if the US is the only way to get X recognized...then I'm all for it.

Like I said I personally see the rough and tumble kid who jacks a MS with a 9mm pistol and a Homemade Flash bang, going off well in a Western Audience.

Also I'm interested to see if Toonami ever airs 00 if they re air wing again, personally I could see 00 doing good as well over here, thing I think held it back was it wasn't on Toonami, but Sci-Fi's AniMonday block, which isn't as well known, I mean ask someone what they think about Sci-Fi (or Syfy as it's now known for whatever god forsaken reason) and they'll say "S***y orginal movies, the occasional re-run of some show, and some of original stuff sprinkled about" not anime. Thankfully I ran into 00 One day or I'd have never seen it on TV lol.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh I wonder if this helps explain why Daisuke took down ZZ.

- - - Updated - - -

http://www.rightstuf.com/rssite/main/news/individual/?ForumThreadName=FT0000007457

Powerman293
October 12, 2014, 10:31 AM
I've been wanting 00 to air on Toonami since it came back. It's recent enough to fit in with the lineup and fits with the modern audience.

Plamobot
October 12, 2014, 10:37 AM
How is Bandai getting an FU if they profit from their own venture? ;)

Exia
October 12, 2014, 10:53 AM
How is Bandai getting an FU if they profit from their own venture? ;)

Because X is the black sheep of Gundam. It has a large cult like following and Toonami wanted to bring it over but were convinced that it wouldn't work. How long did it take before the X Gundam got a real HG and MG again? That's how little faith they have in Gundam X. For it to succeed, or even bring in a second gundam boon would be the biggest FU to bandai that could ever be done.

Zeta-G
October 12, 2014, 1:25 PM
Because X is the black sheep of Gundam. It has a large cult like following and Toonami wanted to bring it over but were convinced that it wouldn't work. How long did it take before the X Gundam got a real HG and MG again? That's how little faith they have in Gundam X. For it to succeed, or even bring in a second gundam boon would be the biggest FU to bandai that could ever be done.
Pretty much this. Although Toonami and BEI weren't convinced that Gundam X wouldn't be successful, they were simply told in no uncertain terms that they couldn't have it because it failed in Japan. Then they asked if they could get G or Turn A, and they were told that they had to air the positively ancient MSG instead. I love MSG, but it was so obviously not the right series to follow Wing. BEI and Toonami tried to convince Bandai of that, but, because Bandai knows all, it didn't listen, and the rest is history.

It's a shame that SEED didn't come out until a couple of years later. With its massive success in Japan, if it had been available sooner, Bandai might have allowed them to air SEED instead of MSG. While it wouldn't have been as smooth of a transition as Wing to X would have been (mostly due to its whiney protagonist), it's still similar enough to Wing in many respects (overpowered Gundams, [seemingly] pacifistic love interest, yaoi undertones, handful of people against the world, and its melodrama nature) that it wouldn't have bled western viewers the way that MSG did.

Back on point, I would love nothing more than to see Gundam X be the series that gets Bandai the western audience they've craved for so long. Even if it ends up being the last gundamn thing they localize from the back catalog, it would be worth it. Given their arrogance with regards to the western market, they deserve the massive FU that X being successful would represent. Plus the Gundam X anime didn't fail in Japan due to its own merits; it failed because the model sales tanked due to Gundam X being the 4th Gundam TV series in 4 years, and the market being flooded with Gunpla as a result. Gundam X's models wouldn't have sold poorly and it wouldn't have been moved to 5 am as a result if Bandai hadn't been so greedy. X's Japanese DVDs did much better than Bandai expected; the sales were high enough that it actually earned the series a new manga series. Of course Bandai went back to ignoring it after that, but still. Taking the NA market for Bandai would give X an achievement Bandai couldn't ignore, and it would force them to finally take responsibility for mishandling X's original Japanese run and for mishandling the NA market. In short, X being successful in NA would be the biggest FU imaginable.

I plan on doing my part to ensure that happens when the time comes. I plan on buying myself a copy as well as copies for my local libraries. I hope you guys will do the same. Bandai deserves the FU after all the crap they've given us and X over the years.

Kenico
October 12, 2014, 1:44 PM
Right Behind you Zeta-G on that one! X Rivals the 8th MS team as my #1 Favorite Gundam Series, So I am so supporting it and I would LOVE to the fly on the wall when the Bandai Big Wigs get that "OH F***!" look on their face when their Black Sheep turns into a Golden Goose NA speaking lol!

Dlinker
October 13, 2014, 1:07 AM
I'll gladly buy a copy of X whenever it comes out domestically. I'm still baffled by how Bandai shows little love towards it compared to the others and I hope now its fortunes will be taking a more positive turn, which might then lead to more model kits.

Kenico
October 13, 2014, 1:13 AM
I will be right behind you Dlinker! I will be right behind you! LOL

Zaku
October 13, 2014, 1:43 AM
I'll gladly buy a copy of X whenever it comes out domestically. I'm still baffled by how Bandai shows little love towards it compared to the others and I hope now its fortunes will be taking a more positive turn, which might then lead to more model kits.

Id also buy it. Ive never seen it before but i keep hearing good things about it.

Plamobot
October 13, 2014, 8:57 AM
Same here. It's among the last three series I have yet to watch (X, Victory, and G Gundam). But I do have the Airmaster kit to build at some point, but it just looks damned cool! :D

I know the original MSG is slated for sometime in the spring...was a release window given for Turn A? And any word on whether they'll be complete boxsets, or split into parts?

thwalker13
October 13, 2014, 10:49 AM
This is certainly wonderful news. My hope is that it'll push the prices of the DVD sets down a bit.

Hokuto no Fan
October 13, 2014, 10:49 AM
And here I was thinking about making a topic about the rise and quick death of Gundam in the US. There couldn't be any better news for me. (since Fist of the north Star already,finally got a full US DVD release) I plan on buying the ever loving hell out of G and Zeta. I feel that as comfortable as it May be, we should focus our wallets on series that weren't released here. I don't think Bandai would even show a inch of interest in the US market if only Wing and G get the majority of sales regardless of how high they May be. I might as well buy X too. I've yet to see it anyway.

Dlinker
October 13, 2014, 11:00 AM
Glad to see other people here are of the same stance, haha. I'll admit, I watched some of X online from an ad-filled streaming site, but it was kind of a hassle to watch it that way, not to mention the shoddy video quality, so I straight up stopped watching it. Whenever it gets released for real here, me thinks I'll enjoy it way more minus any hassle. Money well-spent, in my opinion.

Zeta-G
October 13, 2014, 11:49 AM
MSG AND Turn A were given Spring release dates. Now according to Right Stuf a dub is being considered for Turn A, so if they decide to make one for it that may or may not cause a delay. ZZ was also announced as definitely coming, but unlike MSG and Turn A it wasn't given a firm release date (given the Daisuki subs, I'm going to assume sometime in 2015 for now, unless they decide to dub it).

Also I would recommend supporting all Gundam releases if you can afford it. Obviously you want to give priority to the previously unreleased shows though. I just realized that 2016 will be X's 20th anniversary; it seems like a logical time for it to be finally released in the US. Wouldn't it be great if, on its 20th anniversary, Gundam X was able to promptly put Wing's US sales to shame? That would be an awesome 20th anniversary present for the series. Imagine the looks on the Bandai suits' faces. Now make plans to buy copies for yourselves, your anime loving friends, and your local libraries, so we can make this into reality.

Plamobot
October 13, 2014, 12:11 PM
I'll get reissues of series I already own if they're remastered. I'm all for supporting the franchise, but I'm not buying the exact same thing twice.

I still find the concept of "FU, Bandai! Take my money" hilarious. :D

Zeta-G
October 13, 2014, 12:32 PM
Yeah I wasn't suggesting buying RS's releases if you already own the BEI originals and the RS releases end up being simple reprints. I was trying to tell the people who don't already own those series to pick up RS's releases. Even if you can find an old used Bandai copy cheaper, it's better for the franchise's continuing health in the US to buy a new copy from RS. As a gamer, I've seen the used market destroy the chances of lesser known games ever getting a sequel, because the developer doesn't get a dime from used sales. For something popular like COD, they're going to make their investment back and more, regardless of used sales, but for a smaller release like Madworld it can determine whether a sequel gets made or not. Same thing with US anime sales. Funimation isn't going to really feel the difference between 100% copies of DBZ being new sales and only 80% being new sales, but for something smaller (like pretty much any RS release) it could be the difference between the next series in that franchise getting a dub or not, assuming the next entry gets a release at all. But putting those practical concerns aside, there's also the whole idea of paying the people who provide you with the entertainment you enjoy. ;)

The FU comes from supporting X, when Bandai has done its damnedest to ignore it at best and have treated it like absolute crap at worst. If X does extremely well in the US compared to other entries, it will force Bandai to treat it right in the future, that's the FU part of the equation. Yes Bandai would still get money out of X being successful, but Bandai would also look foolish for not listening to its partners about X 13 years ago.

Zeon's RedComet
October 13, 2014, 12:35 PM
I really hope Turn A isn't the only one to get a dub (if it does) To be honest, I want ZZ to get a dub the most, if only to get the big Three UC series all dubbed finally.

Zeta-G
October 13, 2014, 12:43 PM
I'd imagine that if Turn does get a dub, its sales will determine if the next older Gundam title (presumably ZZ) gets a dub.

Zeon's RedComet
October 13, 2014, 12:48 PM
Yeah. Hopefully it does well, odds are I'll buy Turn A. I don't like it as much as allot of people seem to but well hell might as well.

X and ZZ are the ones I'm most interested in out of the old series.

Of course with ZZ that means I get to re-watch it, and relive the chuckles. And then the Gut wrenching Sadness.

Zeta-G
October 13, 2014, 12:52 PM
Of course with ZZ that means I get to re-watch it, and relive the chuckles. And then the Gut wrenching Sadness.
I know. Poor Mistress Haman...

Zeon's RedComet
October 13, 2014, 12:53 PM
I was thinking of the Ples mainly.

But yeah Haman too. I mean I like Haman, but...I dunno with allot o characters I like, I know they're gonna die ahead of time...of course there are cases where I know that, still get effected by it (Marida, I figured hey there's novel differences maybe she'll live!...lol nope) but allot of the time, I know it's coming, figured Haman would die.

Zeta-G
October 13, 2014, 1:03 PM
I knew that she would too. I was still sad though, because she was such an awesome villain. Even at ZZ's worst, she could be counted on to hold the line and remain as awesome as ever. Still I have to admire the attitude of "F*** it. I'd rather kill myself than live under Feddie rule." :D

Dom Tropen MS-09D
October 13, 2014, 1:08 PM
Yeah, Haman was boss. I like her a lot. Hopefully ZZ gets an dub.

Kenico
October 13, 2014, 1:21 PM
Looks like my Anime Buy list is gonna be in over drive...I pretty much got everything that's on DVD save for W and G (all of them were dried up by the time i could get my hands on them :() Ive been hunting for those two ever since so with all this happening I'll be able to complete a part of my collection of the OLD edition...and I may have to get AOT (I HATE THAT MOVIE MORE THAN G SAVIOR but for collection's sake I'll have to get it lol) After I get those I can begin on collecting the NEW Edition AKA the new stuff finally coming to the States and Boy is my savings going to Hurt. I may have to hold off on getting Gunpla! But you know what? TOTALLY WORTH IT! LOL...

BTW, and i know this is a stupid question so late in the game, but does anybody know when the first products should be rolling out (reissues and so forth) on Right Stuf?

Zeta-G
October 13, 2014, 2:43 PM
Spring 2015 for Turn A and MSG. Day and date of Japanese release for The Origin.

Kenico
October 13, 2014, 2:46 PM
Epic. Again, another stupid question but could you give me a link to all this info? I'd love to see this stuff for myself.

Zeta-G
October 13, 2014, 2:49 PM
It's in their press release and ANN's report on the announcement. Neither of which is hard to find if you go to their respective websites.

Kenico
October 13, 2014, 8:56 PM
Ah thanks Dude! :)

- - - Updated - - -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=z685yB9_KbE

Also, with all this talk of Gundam X, I felt it right to put this up. And if it DOES get aired (I know there isnt even a snowball's chance in Hel for that to happen but hey, one can dream lol) I so want them to keep this in...Love the song, felt it fit the show, and honestly, it practically sealed the deal after seeing Garrod's badassery, Tiffa, Jamile, and of course the X Mother Loving Gundam LOL

Zeta-G
October 13, 2014, 10:54 PM
Typical ANN (http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/convention/2014/new-york-comic-con/.79871). They just posted a summary of NYCC. They bitched about the anime and manga being overshadowed by the other events, bitched about Funi not licensing any boobie and/or shonen shows, and to top it all off they made the laughable assertion that nothing big in the way of anime was announced at NYCC. Yeah, Japan's biggest media franchise being licensed by the US's biggest anime and manga store is not big news at all. :roll: Seriously, they didn't even mention the Gundam announcement. Even if one doesn't care for Gundam, the entire franchise being licensed is big news in the anime world.

Powerman293
October 13, 2014, 11:06 PM
Sucks ANN is that way. But Gundam coming back is a godsend to not only this franchise but the western anime industry in general, so not covering it in an overall wrap up is BS.

Did Bandai mention any streaming plans? Because streaming is the way to go for anime now, the DVDs/ Blu-rays will help fund future projects, but it would massively expand the audience if a lot of the dubbed gundam shows were available on Netflix or something.

Zeta-G
October 13, 2014, 11:30 PM
They haven't announced anything, but they have Gundam.info & Daisuki and Right Stuf has a YouTube channel too.

Honestly, I don't give a flying crap about streaming. Physical media and iTunes are the only reliable, legal ways to access anime. Crunchyroll and Netflix can lose access at anytime, and other digital download formats/stores get support dropped/shut down way too often, leaving the customers hanging. Streaming is for replacing Toonami/Syfy, not physical/iTunes releases. Paid releases are what pay for things like dubs.

Kenico
October 13, 2014, 11:48 PM
They haven't announced anything, but they have Gundam.info & Daisuki and Right Stuf has a YouTube channel too...

Right Stuf has a Youtube Channel!?

*Heads off to find it LOL*

Paid releases are what pay for things like dubs...

Agreed

Zeta-G
October 16, 2014, 10:13 PM
Is it greedy for me to hope that the Gundam deal leads to RS licensing some more classic Sunrise mecha shows, specifically the works of Tomino (Ideon, Dunbine, Lgaim, etc.) and Ryosuke Takahasi (VOTOMS, Dougram, SPT Layzner, etc.)?

Kenico
October 16, 2014, 10:29 PM
none whatsoever! that's wishful thinking...lol

Zaku
October 16, 2014, 10:31 PM
Physical media is king. Its reliable it does not require internet connection it does not just disappear one day it only breaks if you don't take care of it. Its awesome.

Zeta-G
October 16, 2014, 11:40 PM
none whatsoever! that's wishful thinking...lol
I know that it's wishful thinking. My question was meant to be taken as "Am I being ungrateful by wanting these other shows so soon after getting the Gundam shows?"

Kenico
October 17, 2014, 12:11 AM
Nah, Just lets focus more on the Gundam aspects and if this works out then we get to the goodies lol

Jamz
October 20, 2014, 12:11 PM
Now I guess I'll have to wait on buying these shows now that official releases are coming. Maybe Wing and G Gundam will be re-released, as well. :3 I'm gonna get the riginal show, Zeta, ZZ, and Char's Counterattack. Even if Char's Counterattack isn't getting a re-release, I'm still gonna buy it.

Plamobot
October 20, 2014, 12:44 PM
Wing seems like a lock, considering it was the most popular over here. That's one I'd definitely rebuy, since the old Bandai DVD sets didn't have great image quality.

Powerman293
October 20, 2014, 11:24 PM
With Wing's 20th anniversary next year, I could almost guarantee that Wing Blu-rays are going to happen.

Zeta-G
October 21, 2014, 12:58 AM
Remastered DVDs are likely at the very least. I'd like to see a Blu-ray release, but Sunrise is in control so who knows.
In any case, the fact that Turn A and ZZ are finally getting western releases is much more important than whether Wing gets reissued during its 20th anniversary or at a later date. Wing, G, etc. will be reissued sooner or later, but honestly it's not exactly hard to find the old Bandai Entertainment releases. If any old release should be promptly reissued it's MS igloo. That series is pretty much impossible to find since it was released by Bandai Visual USA (note: not Bandai Entertainment) around the time BVUSA had lost its distributor and just before BVUSA went under itself.

Plamobot
October 21, 2014, 8:37 AM
In any case, the fact that Turn A and ZZ are finally getting western releases is much more important than whether Wing gets reissued during its 20th anniversary or at a later date.

Absolutely agreed. Missing pieces are paramount; upgrades can wait!

Powerman293
October 22, 2014, 11:49 PM
Something I want clarified, why did Bandai switch over to NYAV Post as their dubbing studio (at least for Unicorn and the Origin)? I'm not upset that Ocean group voices aren't back, but I'd like to know the reasoning. Was it that Ocean was asking for too much money? Was NYAV just producing better dubs and that's what sold them?

Zeta-G
October 23, 2014, 12:43 AM
I think it's the improved quality, but it also could just be because Sunrise is paying for the Unicorn and Origin dubs, while Bandai Entertainment (the lowly subsidiary) had to pay for the Ocean (mid-quality), BlueWater (low-quality), and Bang Zoom (mid-to-high-quality) dubs, and so BEI would pick dubbing studios depending on factors like the length of the series (the costlier, but better Bang Zoom was used for shorter projects like movies and OVAs, with the two exceptions being CCA and AWotTB) or nonstandard releases (the cheaper BlueWater was used for old Zeta and unorthodox G, following MSG's costly face-plant).

Powerman293
November 2, 2014, 5:59 AM
After sitting and thinking about it for awhile, Bandai is still the incompitent a holes that they always were with this ridiculous pricing.

Zeta-G
November 2, 2014, 2:02 PM
To be fair to Bandai Entertainment, they often had their hands tied by Bandai Japan, which would either order BEI to do things against BEI's better judgement (see following Wing with MSG) or it would place unreasonable demands on BEI (I.e., B: you'd better have x in profit every year. BEI: that's more than the entire NA anime market combined! B: We make more than that in a month. BEI: The NA market isn't like the Japanese market. B: EVERYTHING MUST BE LIKE THE JAPANESE MARKET! BEI: *facepalm*). Admittedly, I'm oversimplifying things a bit, but that's basically what would go down. BEI was expected to do unrealistic and/or stupid things, all while still maintaining a profit. It's a testament to their ingenuity that they managed to remain profitable right up until their corporate parent decided that they were little more than a rounding error on the conglomerate's balance sheet and shut them down.

Zaku
November 3, 2014, 9:32 PM
This seems like the closet thread to the topic to discuss this so ill say it here. It seems that Turner Network and. Dish network could not see eye to eye. I just turned on the TV to see what was on. Cartoon Network hoping they would be playing Family guy or something and all i got was a message screen saying the channels have been removed. Well fudge. Looks like i dont get to watch Toonami this weekend. Not happy about this at all. I domt watch much TV but thats one thing i looked forward to.

Zeta
November 3, 2014, 9:33 PM
I head about this. Ouch, that has to sting. Hopefully the issue will be resolved soon, and those with Dish can go back to watching Toonami.

Zeta-G
November 3, 2014, 9:59 PM
Dish and DirecTV have always sucked. They constantly get into fights with the providers over money everytime renewals come up.

NoZaku
November 10, 2014, 2:03 AM
Hope the boxart looks good. :D

Kenico
November 19, 2014, 6:27 AM
Before I jump off the deep end and start going nuts...did anybody else here know that SD Gundam Sangokuden Brave Battle Warriors was already Dubbed?

Dom Tropen MS-09D
November 19, 2014, 6:31 AM
I did.

Kenico
November 19, 2014, 6:34 AM
ah...Wow...I HAVE been falling behind...all this time I've been begging for a dubbing of it and there already was one...:)...My lucky day lol...

Dom Tropen MS-09D
November 19, 2014, 6:34 AM
Yeah, and it's been dubbed for a while Lol!

Kenico
November 19, 2014, 6:51 AM
#EPICFACEPALM!

That awkward moment when you've been preaching about wanting a certain series to be dubbed...only to find out it's not only dubbed, but its been dubbed for 2 years...yeah...

http://makeameme.org/media/created/one-does-not-6q14d5.jpg

^ This is how I feel right about now...

NoZaku
November 19, 2014, 7:56 AM
Well what are you waiting on? Go watch it!

Plamobot
November 19, 2014, 10:33 AM
ah...Wow...I HAVE been falling behind...all this time I've been begging for a dubbing of it and there already was one...:)...My lucky day lol...

I didn't know this, either. Now I kind of want to watch it! Never watched an SD Gundam series before...heard so many mixed things about them. (Especially SD Gundam Force.)

Kenico
November 19, 2014, 2:38 PM
Trust me. Brave Battle Warriors IS FAR better than Gundam Force...but I'd highly recommend you watch the Subbed version first, THEN the Dubbed. The acting is great IMO but the voices (vocally, the actors are doing their job its just their vocals seem out of place...particularly Ryubis. I'm genuinely impressed its just the vocals...you get the point lol)

- - - Updated - - -

Oh and I found this of all places on GundamInfo's channel (the same Youtube Channel that is releasing subbed GBF Try, you have to go through their playlist lol.)

Plamobot
November 19, 2014, 3:03 PM
Works for me. Shame they don't have it in HD, but I can manage. I'll try to rip 'em all so I can watch them at my leisure...after the backlog of other shows and rewatches I have in the pipeline, of course. ;)

Kenico
November 19, 2014, 3:20 PM
lol...awesome...

Zeta-G
November 19, 2014, 4:48 PM
Sounds vaguely familiar. Honestly I don't pay too much attention to SD shows.

AtomicOldMan
December 1, 2014, 7:51 AM
So uh, the Turn A Gundam box doesn't give an eff: http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-EalsHpw8ox4/VHskJimkvxI/AAAAAAAH3yA/-i_fJVUppIc/s1600/51r%2BSJ7-gHL.jpg (probably NSFW?)

GOTTA SELL GUNDAM SOMEHOW

NoZaku
December 1, 2014, 7:53 AM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't recall those two being that large in the chest area.

AtomicOldMan
December 1, 2014, 7:54 AM
Start calling that show Turn DD Gundam, yaknowwhatimean *tugs collar*

Kenico
December 1, 2014, 8:08 AM
ROFL! Hey, As the saying goes, "Sex Sells"

Dom Tropen MS-09D
December 1, 2014, 8:11 AM
Sees the box art, sighs, proceeds to order seven sets.

Zeon's RedComet
December 1, 2014, 8:13 AM
You know aside from the ZOMG NEKKID LADYZ aspects, I really like the box art, as a whole.

Especially Gym and Harry on there.

Kenico
December 1, 2014, 8:13 AM
*pats dom on the back* That's the spirit.

Dom Tropen MS-09D
December 1, 2014, 8:15 AM
You know aside from the ZOMG NEKKID LADYZ aspects, I really like the box art, as a whole.

Especially Gym and Harry on there.
Yeah, Harry looks so badass. Gotta love Harry.

Plamobot
December 1, 2014, 9:48 AM
That won't be the US boxart, I'm sure.

Zeon's RedComet
December 1, 2014, 9:49 AM
Most likely not, sadly.

NoZaku
December 1, 2014, 10:03 AM

Sex only sells when it's sexy.

Not all Sex is sexy.

Kenico
December 1, 2014, 5:02 PM
Ture dat...true dat

Gundam_Asgard
December 1, 2014, 5:30 PM
I'll say this when it comes to the current affairs of Gundam. It would of been better if AWX took Wing's place. Fact of the matter is AWX is really similar to Wing, only its a lot better imo. A lot more fleshed out. And the only reason Wing is over X is because X got the short stick when it aired, with a terrible timeslot, and thus went into obscurity. but if AWX didn't get that, I'd say it be more popular than Wing, would of been chosen to go to NA first over Wing, and with that being the western introduction to Gundam, NA gundam fan masses would be more well rounded towards all gundam series. And not... well... So nostalgically placed with stuff like Wing and G, and hardly giving chance to the likes of MSG and SEED, to the point they would do anything to discredit the latter. And I think a strong reason why the West lost their pipeline to Gundam Care is because they were sos tuck in what they liked years ago, weren't giving chance to the humongously popular stuff that was working well, and just came off as spoiled bratty fans wanting more of just one type of thing.

I don't say that with any dislike for Wing. I like it too. it has a place for me, and none of it is really the fault of it's product specifically. Just how the western audience took the product. thats just how I've kind of analyzed the western gundam audience. And the difference of AWX's tone, and it's greater diversity in characters and feelings, would of left audiences more open to what was to come.

NoZaku
December 1, 2014, 7:14 PM
So is Turn A going to be sub only?

Plamobot
December 1, 2014, 10:38 PM
Dunno. If they dub, it'll take a lot longer to come out here. I just hope we get the BRD version.

Hokuto no Fan
December 2, 2014, 7:43 AM
Gundan Asgard has a point. I blame Wing more then G though. I didn't even get to watch G Gundam until last year.... And I absolutely freaking love it, free from nostalgia goggles. Then I tried re-watching Wing and it was sooooo boring. I gave up on the episode Treize's bitchy assistant got shot due to simply not caring. On topic however i've heard for awhile now Zeta and X are teh best Gandams evar!!! Well, I watched Zeta Gundam and I thought it was one of the most over hyped thing i've seen... That I actually enjoyed :p and I still put it near the top of my personal best anime ever list. I have yet to see X but I'm not entirely sure it'll live up to it's hype.

Personal note: I don't blame Gundam SEED for killing Gundam in North America but on a personal level Gundam Battle Assault 3: featuring SEED turned me away from the franchise for almost a decade.

Zeta-G
December 2, 2014, 4:13 PM
SEED didn't kill Gundam in NA. MSG killed the popularity of the anime, and G killed the merchandise (See: unsold Mermaid and Hurricane Gundams clogging the shelves). Weekday Toonami collapsing into Mizuki (or whatever the hell it was called) shortly before SEED aired didn't help matters. Neither did the stricter standards and practices broadcast requirements following 9/11.

Wing was a very bad show to use to introduce Gundam to North America. It's too different from the average Gundam work. Even 00, which arguably shares the most similarities with Wing, is significantly different in tone and pacing from Wing. This isn't to say that Wing is a terrible show. It's not. It's just that Wing is also not a very good representation of the Gundam franchise as a whole. Unfortunately, MSG was simply too old by that point and SEED didn't exist yet, so Bandai was stuck with using one of the 3 90's AUs or Turn A as the West's introduction to Gundam.

Turn A was too slowpaced for the timeslot and channel, and G was way too different to use as an introduction to the franchise. That left Wing and X. Wing was a mild hit in Japan and had most of the elements of a typical Gundam show, if not the tone or the pacing. X was closer in the elements, tone, and pacing, but suffered from lackluster merchandise sales due to it arriving at the tail end of an extended milking period for the franchise so it was banished to early mornings in the middle of its run and cancelled. Given the circumstances, BEI and CN picking Wing was the right call, as was the plan to follow it with X, but, of course, Bandai Japan's ignorance, impatience, and greed forced CN and BEI to drop the X plan and replace it with MSG, and the rest is history.

Gundam_Asgard
December 2, 2014, 4:19 PM
A lot of haters like to say that SEED, or Destiny more specifically, killed Gundam in NA. but thats... just being petty. fact is, 00 and Unicorn came to NA after that as well. Theres a years of gaps.

G Gundam gets the privilege of being sooo... different, it kinda gets exceptions to a lot of things, and that makes it easy to watch. Its like DBZ. it's simple, and really not good on a deep level. its good cause its fun and brings a smile to your face when you watch it. it's charming. And thats why I never put G with Wing. Wing has succumbed to some pretty bad rep due to aging and it's fanbase. But for G gundam, you just gotta be into that stuff, be in that mood, and you'll prolly always like it.

From a general consensus standpoint, I wouldn't say the masses would say AWX is top 2. from that point, the consensus is prolly Zeta #1, SEED #2. Zeta is pretty much universally beloved by all gundam fans. And SEED brought on a new era and practically revived the franchise. Even if a lot of westerners like to be loud about hating it, most western dominated polls about whether its good or bad or etc will still see that the majority, a healthy 70%, still think positively on SEED. Otherwise on a personal level is subject to discussion. AWX is however extremely good. It's of the biggest and shiniest of hidden gems. It's only due to bad circumstance its in the bottom of the well, cause it's certainly not the products fault.

Kenico
December 2, 2014, 4:21 PM
Bloody Hell...I really hope we get X Finally...I really REALLY Hope we do...

Dom Tropen MS-09D
December 2, 2014, 4:23 PM
AW remastered in 1080p.........Glorious.

Zeta-G
December 2, 2014, 4:44 PM
BTW I still hope that it's X that reignites Gundam's popularity in the West; it would serve Bandai right. If I could have just one Gundam-related wish, that would be it. Not a Crossbone OVA, not a new UC TV show, not the SEED movie, etc. I just want X to be the series that delivers the massive NA market to Bandai. X being released here and becoming bigger here than Cowboy Bebop, Sailor Moon, and DBZ would simply be the greatest serving of crow in anime history. I can't think of anyone more deserving of eating that much crow than Bandai Japan. ;)

- - - Updated - - -

For the record, Bandai has provided the relative popularity of Gundam TV series several times before. First and Zeta alternate every year or so for #1/#2, SEED is a steady #3, and Destiny & ZZ are locked in a statistical tie for #4/#5. Everything below the top 5 is inconsistent from year to year.

NoZaku
December 2, 2014, 4:55 PM
Is After War X any good?

Gundam_Asgard
December 2, 2014, 4:57 PM
here's what I found to be the problem with Wing's lustrous position and why it drops the ball. It's like it is a gundam series made by somebody who never watched gundam before, but was told about it.

Meaning; it uses many of the tropes and mannerism that you'd see in a gundams eries thats known to be a staple... but it does not fully FOLLOW the tropes through. The story of Wing goes there is a civil war for colonial independence from Earth. Sounds a lot like Zeon breaking away from EF due to philosophy and Zabi's crave for power. Only that example has reasoning. Why does the colonies want independence so badly? Zeon believed Earth and gravity to be shackles holding down humanity, and to evolve, humanity must b reformed into space. In Wing the Colonies want Independence because... well i can't tell you. Im not sure if there was a reason specified, and if so, not well put. It's like there was a war because gundam is about war, therefore there needs to be war.

another example; Heero vs Zechs. it's the rivalry that basically fuels the conflict and story. But why were they rivals? because they fought several times? what cause the rivalry? Just cause Zechs beat Heero? they both seem to see each other as worth opponents despite Zechs usually beats Heero, quite flawlessly even. Well, going back in time, there was a rivalry between Amuro and Char. it was a rivalry of Better piloting vs Better Mobile Suit. Skills vs Super Powers. and created a history of suffering between the two through killing lalah, and years and wars of them meeting on the battlefield. It was the White Devil vs the Red Comet. So in Wing it comes off as; Gundam usually has a Char-Clone that rivals the main character, so lets make a blonde guy in a mask, put him in red, and have him fight the main character a lot. But thats not a real rivalry.

The point however is; Wing sometimes feels like it just goes through the motion, and thats all it's doing. It wasn't pieced together truly or uniquely like other gundam series are. And when you are just piecing things together, you get a mess in other factors... Like characters. Amuro Ray was adolescent. He started off bratty and petty, disobedient. He was just this kid who happened to have all this power and didn't know what to do with it. he hated authority and grown ups for making him do things. this all made him grow. The story often revolved around this. Heero on the other hand had no such thing. Heero was a human robot. He only did the mission, talked plainly and without emotion, and never really grew out of this, even with the minor development due to Relena. And not just Heero, but also Zechs, and Trowa. half the characters fit this quiet, stoic, no emotion type of character. like they forgot to, or just didn't want to, make a character for these people. So they opted to make what i call the "generic 'cool-guy' archetype." This is where you make a character that just doesn't care. he is never fazed, speaks only when needed too, is always cool and stoic, and its suppose to be badass. and in the 90s, early 2000s... this was what was cool, especially for NA. Just look at Batman. So you fill the show with emotionless super cool guys, you start getting that every note is the same thing. And without emotion conflicting or growth and development, the story pacing starts dragging. you can't just have the plot take steps forward majorly every episode, you need character stories to fill up space too, to get you emotionally involved. But none of the characters can do that, they are all stoic badasses who are never fazed. So episodes that focus on developing characters who never really develop much become dreaded. Just look at how bad and hated Trowa's story is.

And THIS is the opening impression to an audience that never seen Gundam before, and is just now getting anime. No expectations, and standards as low as they can be since there was none yet. And this is how they wanted it. You know what? kira is a brilliant character. make fun of me if you want, I will say it again. Kira was BRILLIANT. That dude has been through so many development turns in the span of 50 episodes. That dude practically sold me for life with his rivalry with Athrun. The tears, the sorrow, the emotion he feels is beautiful. it tells a story separate from the plot and is equally vital to the show. But the western fans who got on with Wing hate him. cause he cries. cause he has emotions strongly connected to another character. He wasn't a quiet, stoic badass like heero. nothing fazed heero, but Kira is crying like a little punk. This annoys me. One has character, and the other is a slate. a plain empty slate, and you prefer the easy of the two, get out of here.

Wing was designed to sell toys. It was a time when the shows weren't doing it anymore. ZZ tanked. Victory is... controversial to say the least. f91 got creator tanked. G Gundam and Wing were designed to sell merchandise. that is what was important to them. G gundam got the benefit of trying something completely different. Wing tried to make generic cool guy characters to pilot mobile suits designed to catch the eye for buyers of merchandise. And this element formed a show that shouldnt be anyone introduction to the franchise when its gonna make an impression that bad is good.

SORRY if that came off as ranty. and like i said, this is observation and such, and doesn't quite reflect my own feelings for Wing fully. I dont think its a waste of time or anything. And characters like Duo, Quatre and Treize are amazing, and even zechs is pretty cool. Im not completely dismissing it, im just looking at it realistically.

Zeta
December 2, 2014, 4:58 PM
@NoZaku Yes it is. Think Mad Max meets Gundam, but the main protagonist is non-Newtype Judau Ashta.

Kenico
December 2, 2014, 5:05 PM
Is After War X any good?

I respond with an Emphatic YES! It's got what the Original Gundam had along and more! lol. Sure its shorter than your traditional Series and some Arcs are a bit...off...but you know what? Totally worth the watch. You will NOT be disappointed!

Gundam_Asgard
December 2, 2014, 5:11 PM
I love AWX. it's like it takes a pinch from things; Tomino newtypes, ZZ characters, Wing's style-ism, G Gundam level of hype, put it in a pot of uniqueness, and makes an everlasting gobstopper out of it, because thats how i imagine Willy Wonka made gobstoppers..

NoZaku
December 2, 2014, 5:16 PM
So is it Part of the UC or is it a universe on its own?

Gundam_Asgard
December 2, 2014, 5:20 PM

hoo boy... thats question. yes and no?

It doesn't take place in UC, it takes place in AW (After War). However AW is known to take place after the UC, as suggested by the previous conflicts before the show takes place that describes why the world is as it is, and the usage of Newtypes. and in CC (correct century)Dark history logic of all ending in Turn A, yes it is connected Universal Century. But, it is still an Alternate Universe Gundam series, and the Turn A Dark History stuff is only a theoretical what-if, and not canon to the other universes, so in the regards it isn't connected to the UC... except it slightly kind of is.

Zeta
December 2, 2014, 5:21 PM

An alternate universe. Though it's initial premise is, "What if Zeon had dropped dozens of space colonies instead of one?"

Gundam_Asgard
December 2, 2014, 5:25 PM
lets put it this way. AW begins where the Universal Century Ends... BUT the Universal Century doesn't end with AW beginning.

Dom Tropen MS-09D
December 2, 2014, 5:26 PM
here's what I found to be the problem with Wing's lustrous position and why it drops the ball. It's like it is a gundam series made by somebody who never watched gundam before, but was told about it.

Meaning; it uses many of the tropes and mannerism that you'd see in a gundams eries thats known to be a staple... but it does not fully FOLLOW the tropes through. The story of Wing goes there is a civil war for colonial independence from Earth. Sounds a lot like Zeon breaking away from EF due to philosophy and Zabi's crave for power. Only that example has reasoning. Why does the colonies want independence so badly? Zeon believed Earth and gravity to be shackles holding down humanity, and to evolve, humanity must b reformed into space. In Wing the Colonies want Independence because... well i can't tell you. Im not sure if there was a reason specified, and if so, not well put. It's like there was a war because gundam is about war, therefore there needs to be war.

another example; Heero vs Zechs. it's the rivalry that basically fuels the conflict and story. But why were they rivals? because they fought several times? what cause the rivalry? Just cause Zechs beat Heero? they both seem to see each other as worth opponents despite Zechs usually beats Heero, quite flawlessly even. Well, going back in time, there was a rivalry between Amuro and Char. it was a rivalry of Better piloting vs Better Mobile Suit. Skills vs Super Powers. and created a history of suffering between the two through killing lalah, and years and wars of them meeting on the battlefield. It was the White Devil vs the Red Comet. So in Wing it comes off as; Gundam usually has a Char-Clone that rivals the main character, so lets make a blonde guy in a mask, put him in red, and have him fight the main character a lot. But thats not a real rivalry.

The point however is; Wing sometimes feels like it just goes through the motion, and thats all it's doing. It wasn't pieced together truly or uniquely like other gundam series are. And when you are just piecing things together, you get a mess in other factors... Like characters. Amuro Ray was adolescent. He started off bratty and petty, disobedient. He was just this kid who happened to have all this power and didn't know what to do with it. he hated authority and grown ups for making him do things. this all made him grow. The story often revolved around this. Heero on the other hand had no such thing. Heero was a human robot. He only did the mission, talked plainly and without emotion, and never really grew out of this, even with the minor development due to Relena. And not just Heero, but also Zechs, and Trowa. half the characters fit this quiet, stoic, no emotion type of character. like they forgot to, or just didn't want to, make a character for these people. So they opted to make what i call the "generic 'cool-guy' archetype." This is where you make a character that just doesn't care. he is never fazed, speaks only when needed too, is always cool and stoic, and its suppose to be badass. and in the 90s, early 2000s... this was what was cool, especially for NA. Just look at Batman. So you fill the show with emotionless super cool guys, you start getting that every note is the same thing. And without emotion conflicting or growth and development, the story pacing starts dragging. you can't just have the plot take steps forward majorly every episode, you need character stories to fill up space too, to get you emotionally involved. But none of the characters can do that, they are all stoic badasses who are never fazed. So episodes that focus on developing characters who never really develop much become dreaded. Just look at how bad and hated Trowa's story is.

And THIS is the opening impression to an audience that never seen Gundam before, and is just now getting anime. No expectations, and standards as low as they can be since there was none yet. And this is how they wanted it. You know what? kira is a brilliant character. make fun of me if you want, I will say it again. Kira was BRILLIANT. That dude has been through so many development turns in the span of 50 episodes. That dude practically sold me for life with his rivalry with Athrun. The tears, the sorrow, the emotion he feels is beautiful. it tells a story separate from the plot and is equally vital to the show. But the western fans who got on with Wing hate him. cause he cries. cause he has emotions strongly connected to another character. He wasn't a quiet, stoic badass like heero. nothing fazed heero, but Kira is crying like a little punk. This annoys me. One has character, and the other is a slate. a plain empty slate, and you prefer the easy of the two, get out of here.

Wing was designed to sell toys. It was a time when the shows weren't doing it anymore. ZZ tanked. Victory is... controversial to say the least. f91 got creator tanked. G Gundam and Wing were designed to sell merchandise. that is what was important to them. G gundam got the benefit of trying something completely different. Wing tried to make generic cool guy characters to pilot mobile suits designed to catch the eye for buyers of merchandise. And this element formed a show that shouldnt be anyone introduction to the franchise when its gonna make an impression that bad is good.

SORRY if that came off as ranty. and like i said, this is observation and such, and doesn't quite reflect my own feelings for Wing fully. I dont think its a waste of time or anything. And characters like Duo, Quatre and Treize are amazing, and even zechs is pretty cool. Im not completely dismissing it, im just looking at it realistically.
This is a good point.

However. Calling Kira Yamato, brilliant character is a stretch.
I'm inclined to agree, for a good chunk of original SEED, he was a decent lead and his relationship with Athrun was compelling.
But, after Nicole had died (most obvious death ever ) , more specifically after his duel with Athrun. Kira developed what I like to call "hypocrisy ". Kira clearly wants the war to end. He wants to end it soon and doesn't want to fight for either side of the conflict.
Kira is a pacifist. He doesn't want to kill unless necessary.
But, real war is not like that. If you just disable your opponents mobile suit, there is no Guarantee that they won't find a way back to another suit and keep fighting or kamikaze them selves at ya.
Kira and his band of morons don't understand this.
This gets far worse in Destiny.
But bottom line is, Kira is a decent lead in Seed, but brilliant........ I'm gonna say no. These are just my 0.02 cents.

Hokuto no Fan
December 2, 2014, 5:26 PM
*slow applause for Asgard* I couldn't have put it Better myself but MY anger, my hatred is pointed at people who dislike MSG and Zeta because they convey emotion. My main dislike for SEED is how predictable it is most of the time. All the pretty boys and pretty girls and the genetically engineered perfect humans and the whole poorman's Macross diva angle with Mary-Sue Lacus. I don't HATE SEED I hate it's archetypes but it's still better then Wing in retrospect. I just... I get so frustrated when people say they hated Kamille in Zeta but praise Heero.... Duo was the only good character to begin with... Ugh... I swear if I see one more Zeta hater I'm just gonna pop.

Zeta
December 2, 2014, 5:27 PM
I remember from a Gundam book somewhere that showed the various Gundam timelines. Gundam X's timeline was actually parallel to the rest of the UC, but that's a topic for another discussion.

NoZaku
December 2, 2014, 5:36 PM
hoo boy... thats question. yes and no?

It doesn't take place in UC, it takes place in AW (After War). However AW is known to take place after the UC, as suggested by the previous conflicts before the show takes place that describes why the world is as it is, and the usage of Newtypes. and in CC (correct century)Dark history logic of all ending in Turn A, yes it is connected Universal Century. But, it is still an Alternate Universe Gundam series, and the Turn A Dark History stuff is only a theoretical what-if, and not canon to the other universes, so in the regards it isn't connected to the UC... except it slightly kind of is.

An alternate universe. Though it's initial premise is, "What if Zeon had dropped dozens of space colonies instead of one?"

lets put it this way. AW begins where the Universal Century Ends... BUT the Universal Century doesn't end with AW beginning.

I have a headache now...

Dom Tropen MS-09D
December 2, 2014, 5:40 PM
AW is basically what would have happened if Zeon would have decided to drop all colonies instead of one.

Gundam_Asgard
December 2, 2014, 5:49 PM
Not quite! the Conflict of After war X is known as the 7th Space Conflict. the other 6 referring to;
1) the One year war (MSG)
2) The Axis Conflict (Zeta/ZZ)
3) the Neo Zeon Attack (CCA)
4) the Crossbone Vanguard (F91)
5) the Zanscare Empire (Victory)
6) I guess now the Laplace's Box Incident (Unicorn) takes up a slot now.

edit-----------------------------------------------------
@Hokuto and DOM
And those are fair enough points about the likes of kira and lacus and such. but at least you can recognize where it was done right. and not just blatantly curse the merest outside layer of things as if thats all there was.

Zeta-G
December 2, 2014, 7:31 PM
X, while technically an AU, very deliberately sets itself up as a continuation of UC, even without the Dark History from Turn A.
1. There's the number of space wars (which if you go by the major UC conflicts existing at the time X was made, you get: 1) OYW (MSG), 2) Gryps Conflict (Zeta), 3) Axis Neo Zeon (Zeta/ZZ), Char's Neo Zeon (CCA), Formula Wars (F91/Crossbone), and 6) Zanscare (Victory)).
2. Given the timeline above, the Operation British on Steroids that ended the 7th Space war plays right into the escalating conflict shown in UC.
3. Unlike prior AUs, the Space Colonies are island type 3's, aka O'Neill cylinders, just like UC's.
4. 7th Space War Feddie uniforms are practically identical to UC uniforms (see MSG-CCA level of change).
5. Pre-7th Space War population figures are roughly equivalent to post-OYW figures (approx. 9-10 billion).
6. There are Newtypes. Let me repeat: there are Newtypes. The newtypes are even called newtypes, not some new AU term.
7. There are also Cyber-Newtypes.
8. There are even bits.
9. Spacenoids using space colonies for lasers/drops? Check.
10. Spacenoids with an unhealthy love for mobile armors? Check.

Seriously, how anyone could look at all of this and not think "X is a continuation of UC" is beyond me. X is as linked to UC as Turn A and Reconguista. Hell the Catsith from Reconguista even bears a stronger resemblance to X's Daughtress than the GM/Jegan series.

Zaku
December 2, 2014, 7:40 PM
there is no such thing as an unhealthy love for mobile armors...

Zeta-G
December 2, 2014, 7:44 PM
You can even work X into the gap between UC and Reconguista: The bloody wars in UC eventually escalate into the genocide seen at the beginning of X. People go "holy crap!" and create a taboo against destructive technology and eventually the taboo morphs into the religion seen in Reconguista.

Zeta
December 4, 2014, 5:49 AM
So Sunrise has put up an English language site for their upcoming OVA Gundam: The Origin. Here's the link: http://www.gundam-the-origin.net/en/index.html I wonder who is going to be in English VA cast?

Hokuto no Fan
December 4, 2014, 7:17 AM
All I ask for is Brad Swaile back as Amuro and Char's VA from MSG (or optionally Steven Blum since he voiced him in the atrocious movie dub). Otherwise I'll just bypass the dub itself. I'll still buy the official product of course but I'll watch it subbed.

If I May go on a tangent? If you would have asked me years ago I would have said dub regardless. Always dub. When Dynasty Warriors Gundam came out they changed some of the English voice actors and it was annoying. By the time DWG3 came out they...pretty much changed everyone but Amuro, Kai, Char and Duo. It was around this time I got into Super Robot Wars and the recent VS Series when I realized something... If they could get the voice actors from DAMN 1979 and on to reprise their rolls, then why can't we get people from the early 2000s to reprise their performances? So that's why I became a sub guy. For consistency. And I never looked back.

Zeta-G
December 4, 2014, 11:55 AM
The dub inconsistencies are due to using different dubbing studios. The games in particular are all over the place. MSG and CCA are the same, and Zeta's Char, Amuro, and Bright aren't all that different, neither is Unicorn's Bright. Hell Haman even sounds right going from 0083 to Zeta. Full Frontal's VA is the one who sounds off. He sounds like Zechs not Char.

Hokuto no Fan
December 4, 2014, 1:55 PM
Oh yes I'm fully aware of why it's the way it is but that doesn't mean I have to accept it. Don't get me wrong, I actually think having different dub studios could be a good thing because it can help prevent bleed over like Brad Swaile voicing Amuro, Quatre and Setsuna for example. That just completely sucks me out of the experience. It's the absolute worse in Gundam vs Zeta Gundam which has Amuro and Char switching voice actors -between lines-

If Full Frontal has the same dub voice actor he had in DWG3 then I would say he doesn't even sound like Zechs, he just sounded melodramatic but I understand some voice actors have to develop a "feel" for their role so w/e.

Dom Tropen MS-09D
December 4, 2014, 2:09 PM
Full Frontals DWG voice actor is not the same as his OVA counterpart.

Also, FF sounds like Zechs........ Uhhh nope?

Zeta-G
December 4, 2014, 4:13 PM
I was talking about Full Frontal's VA in the anime's dub. The games have almost always had messed up dubs.

- - - Updated - - -

They didn't even use Kospa for Full Frontal despite having him voice Char in the same game.

Dom Tropen MS-09D
December 4, 2014, 5:18 PM
Yeah, I was like " Seriously? You couldn't give Kopsa the FFs script? Char couldn't voice Char? WTF? "

gundammonkey
December 12, 2014, 1:11 AM
Sorry ask this so late in the thread but.... I have a few gundam videos F91 seed seed/destiny war in the pocket. Ware are you all getting you shows?? I can find a lot on eBay but they are like 2 to 3x the cost new plus shipping.

Zeta-G
December 12, 2014, 1:24 AM
You're better off waiting. The Gundam DVDs and blurays (with the exception of Unicorn) are all out of print in the US. That's why the prices are so high right now. That said, Right Stuf has acquired the license and will be releasing the out of print titles, as well as titles never before released in the US, starting in the spring of 2015 with the original series and Turn A.

Kenico
December 12, 2014, 1:55 AM
DAMMIT I CAN'T WAIT! ROFL

Notices Zeta-G Changed Avatar...Screams and runs in terror...

Zeon's RedComet
December 12, 2014, 1:55 AM
Been here three years...never thought I'd see the day his avatar changed.

gundammonkey
December 12, 2014, 1:59 AM
OK so "right stuff" is a website/store. I will check them out. Thanks.
Also the BIG G Avatar is epic in my book. I have more Godzilla stuff than gundam .....for now.

Zeta-G
December 12, 2014, 2:11 AM
Been here three years...never thought I'd see the day his avatar changed.
I've changed it before. I just don't change it every day like some people are prone to doing. ;)

Zeon's RedComet
December 12, 2014, 2:58 AM
Like me lol. :P

Well I've been keeping this one for awhile because Chirsmas Cheer but yeah.

(I mean who doesn't like Santa Marida and Mineva?)

Gundamswag
December 30, 2014, 12:56 AM
I'm not really a fan of Turn A or MSG (much prefer Origin like most), but I'd watch G-reco and Origin. I was hoping for a new G Gundam Release though. Guess I'll keep waiting.

NoZaku
December 30, 2014, 8:55 PM
I'm not really a fan of Turn A or MSG (much prefer Origin like most), but I'd watch G-reco and Origin. I was hoping for a new G Gundam Release though. Guess I'll keep waiting.

Why wait? Go watch it now!

Gundamswag
January 4, 2015, 7:21 PM
Lol right. I meant i wanted to purchase g gundam and support gundam in the states again.

Zeta-G
March 24, 2015, 1:06 PM
The first half of Turn A is now available for preorder from Right Stuf. It's actually priced fairly well for a DVD set of 25 episodes. I was expecting the usual Sunrise/Aniplex prices, but it's only $50 normally (preorder price is $30 or so).

Zeon's RedComet
March 24, 2015, 7:06 PM
I'll pick it up eventually.

Tbh it and X are the only two potential releases I'm really interested in.

NoZaku
March 24, 2015, 7:46 PM
Eeeeh I'm not a Turn A guy but I'm glad we're getting SOMETHING.

Riah
April 14, 2015, 11:40 PM
http://i.gyazo.com/2d23b4e50c9c21f2b3331c636b1e3b68.png
Between this bump...

And Toonami posting this on their tumblr...
http://33.media.tumblr.com/a5663b211fa90b8ba0bdaae4cef061bf/tumblr_ni1donTbfC1s8sotmo1_500.gif

I think Adult Swim/Toonami is dropping hints that we might get some Gundam from them in the future.

Zaku
April 14, 2015, 11:41 PM
id like to see that^

Gundam_Asgard
April 14, 2015, 11:42 PM
Amuro got himself a Tediore

Zeon's RedComet
April 14, 2015, 11:44 PM
Amuro got himself a Tediore

I love Tediore Bazookas.

Everything else...not so much.

Riah
April 14, 2015, 11:48 PM
Like I said before, Age has an English dub. Alternatively, 00 didn't get a big audiene because lol sci fi channel, so they could totally just rerun that.

I could see Unicorn being a big special like they do with movies. Isn't Origin getting dubbed too?

So, right out of the gate, they have options with newer shows. Though if we go just by the gif and bump, showing 0079 again or the movies would be nice too. I mean, it's not like Toonami and adult swim haven't shown far older shows like Astro Boy or Gigantor not REALLY that long ago.

Naturally, my desired end game would be for Gundam to get popular enough here that I could get gunpla in normal toy or department stores like we could in the Wing days. There's no local hobby shops around here and my god, I don't don't want to go into that damned Barnes and Noble with the most limited stock imaginable and guards that hate me. I think the changes are slim to none, though.

Zeta
April 15, 2015, 2:05 AM
http://i.gyazo.com/2d23b4e50c9c21f2b3331c636b1e3b68.png
Between this bump...

http://33.media.tumblr.com/a5663b211fa90b8ba0bdaae4cef061bf/tumblr_ni1donTbfC1s8sotmo1_500.gif

I think Adult Swim/Toonami is dropping hints that we might get some Gundam from them in the future.

Gundam is one of the top shows that many want to see on the new Toonami, they just can't air any time soon. As to why, the general consensus is that the current broadcast license fee is out of Toonami's limited budget.

But, who knows. We could see Gundam back on the air in the very near future.

Kenico
April 15, 2015, 4:14 AM
Like I said before, Age has an English dub.

O_O...*Blinks a few times*

Links or its not real...

Zeon's RedComet
April 15, 2015, 4:31 AM

Links or its not real...

IIRC it's one of those HK dubs.

So it has a Dub like ZZ has a dub if you want to get technical.

Riah
April 15, 2015, 4:35 AM
IIRC it's one of those HK dubs.

So it has a Dub like ZZ has a dub if you want to get technical.

Links or its not real...

No, it's not Hong Kong, it's Singapore. And unlike ZZ's dub, Age's seems perfectly serviceable. Emily's voice is annoying, but that's the only big problem from I've noticed from the first episode.

It's not hard to find it, even. I can't link directly because of the rules, but http://lmgtfy.com/?q=gundam+age+english+dub let me google that for you then. There's your link, Kenico.

Zeon's RedComet
April 15, 2015, 4:42 AM
Oh my bad then.

I'll take your word for it, I have no intrest in seeing AGE again rofl.

NoZaku
April 15, 2015, 10:21 AM
Between this bump...

It's about bloody time, the last one we had was Gundam 00. They should show Gundam Unicorn.

Zeta-G
April 18, 2015, 2:59 PM
I'd support Toonami airing a Gundam series. Here's hoping for X. It's never been localized, it's from the same era as Wing and G (two of the more successful Gundam series in NA), it would fit in stylistically with the rest of Toonami's lineup, it's generally well liked by Gundam fans of all types, Toonami wanted to air it in the past, and best of all, given Bandai Japan's relatively low opinion of it, Gundam X would almost certainly be cheaper to license for TV than something like Unicorn or BF.

Dark Matter Dynames
April 18, 2015, 11:34 PM

Links or its not real...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tLI_d8dz8DI

I'd support Toonami airing a Gundam series. Here's hoping for X. It's never been localized, it's from the same era as Wing and G (two of the more successful Gundam series in NA), it would fit in stylistically with the rest of Toonami's lineup, it's generally well liked by Gundam fans of all types, Toonami wanted to air it in the past, and best of all, given Bandai Japan's relatively low opinion of it, Gundam X would almost certainly be cheaper to license for TV than something like Unicorn or BF.
I would LOVE to see X on Toonami.

Kenico
April 18, 2015, 11:44 PM
Yes! I WANT X on toonami! X is LOOONG OVERDUE!

Riah
May 5, 2015, 7:07 PM
I should post this somewhere else, but this seems relevant here.

http://i.gyazo.com/cbdf245acfe25d042332d5f56866deae.jpg

Build Fighters has an English dub that will airing on Cartoon Network...

...in the Philippines.

Zeon's RedComet
May 5, 2015, 7:16 PM
Yeah this is old news.

Been talked about in the BFT thread.

Kenico
May 5, 2015, 7:20 PM
*sees the fine print at the end* YOUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU BASTARDS!!!!!

Lacus Prime
May 5, 2015, 11:22 PM
As I don't have cable, I don't know how good the dub is. There are people saying it's bad but I don't know if it's case of it being genuinely bad or people not liking it because it's not japanese.

Zeta-G
May 23, 2015, 10:58 AM
Turn A has finally been released in the USA. Brent of the Otaku No Video YouTube channel has already received and reviewed his copy of Turn A Gundam part 1 from Right Stuf, and, based on the shipment notice RS sent me, I should be receiving my own copy any day now. The first part of Turn A wasn't even due to be released until June 30th.

Kenico
May 23, 2015, 11:08 AM
YAY! Viva LA Revolution!

- - - Updated - - -

Also Zeta-G If im reading this right...and I think I am, This marks as the first Un-Dubbed Gundam anime to hit Western Shores is that correct? Unpirated Mind you?

Zeta-G
May 23, 2015, 11:30 AM
Nope. The Zeta Movie Trilogy and MS Igloo OVA were also released sub only. That said, Turn A will be the first full length Gundam tv series to be released sub only.

The MSG movie trilogy was also released sub only on DVD, but that's only because Bandai was trying to pretend that the horrible official dub of the trilogy never existed.

Kenico
May 23, 2015, 1:54 PM
I see. Still Interesting to see that and looking forward to more :D

Zeon's RedComet
May 23, 2015, 7:49 PM
I'm still interested to see if anything will be dubbed, they're handling the JJBA Phantom Blood and Battle Tendancy DVD releases and they're getting a dub, so wonder if Gundam will get it as well.

That said Jojo's Dubbed I don't see working out too well personall you'll miss out on the funny Engrish.

Zeta
May 24, 2015, 7:19 PM
I'm still interested to see if anything will be dubbed, they're handling the JJBA Phantom Blood and Battle Tendancy DVD releases and they're getting a dub, so wonder if Gundam will get it as well.

That said Jojo's Dubbed I don't see working out too well personall you'll miss out on the funny Engrish.

From what I've heard, the new JoJo dub could be very good. My favorite cast member so far is Patrick Seitz as Dio Brando (very fitting since he does the dub voices of Ira Gamagori, Frankie the Cyborg, and the drill Sargent from AoT).

Zeon's RedComet
May 24, 2015, 8:22 PM
It might not be the same cast as the SC test dub though.

I've heard it and idk though I just can't feel it and usually I'm not one to hate on most dubs unless they're bad, and it wasn't a bad dub I just feel it didn't have the same drama to it so to speak maybe it'll get better this runaround.

Zeta
May 24, 2015, 8:39 PM
Well you what they say, "Don't knock it, until you've tried it."

Zeta-G
May 26, 2015, 3:44 PM
My official NA Turn A DVD set arrived today. Can't wait to check it out! :)

Plamobot
May 26, 2015, 3:51 PM
Mine arrived over the weekend. Woohoo!

Zeta-G
May 28, 2015, 12:39 AM
I haven't gotten the chance to watch much of Turn A yet, but what l have seen so far has been absolutely fantastic. If the high quality holds for the entire series, Zeta may finally have some competition for being my favorite Gundam show.

Now Right Stuf and Sunrise need to hurry up and put out X and everything other Gundam anime on DVD/Blu-Ray. I'd even be willing to double dip for Zeta if they restored the original openings and ending.

Zeon's RedComet
May 28, 2015, 12:55 AM
Well you what they say, "Don't knock it, until you've tried it."

I doubt it'll make me choose it over the subs personally and I usually prefer dubs

XXXG-01H
May 28, 2015, 1:50 AM
Holy Jeebus... Where to start...

In short, I have been out of the Gundam/anime loop for YEARS. I can't even remember the last anime I watched, that's how long it's been. The only Gundam series' I own is the original DVD boxset of Wing and the Special Edition of Endless Waltz. I can recall watching the 08th MS Team on Toonami YEARS ago and enjoying it quite a bit but other than that, it's a big fat goose egg.

I feel so ashamed calling myself a Gundam fan, lol.

Plamobot
May 28, 2015, 8:39 AM
Nonsense! We all started somewhere; I myself got into the series due to Wing, but then lapsed for over a decade. :D

The good news is that there's so much stuff to choose from now! I've spent the past few years catching up on what I missed...you should do the same!

Zeta-G
May 28, 2015, 1:29 PM
The official GundamInfo YouTube channel is your friend. It has multiple Gundam series available for free, legal streaming. If Wing is all you've seen, 00 is probably the one you should watch next. It has a setup that is similar to Wing, but with better, more realistic, and more Gundamy writing (for the first season/25 episodes at least; the second season is mostly terrible). Basically what I'm saying is 00's first season can be used to bridge the expectations gap between shōnen Gundam (Wing) and normal Gundam (the various UC and SEED anime).

XXXG-01H
May 28, 2015, 11:45 PM
Thanks Zeta-G. I'll try and check it out if I can manage to peel myself away from my Hi-Nu project :)

Plamobot
May 29, 2015, 8:55 AM
Priorities, of course. ;)

Which Hi-Nu variant/custom are you working on?

XXXG-01H
May 30, 2015, 12:47 AM
The Ver. Ka with them sexy legs and big cow head, lol.

Yes, believe it or not, women can find gundams sexy too. :geek:

Zeta
July 4, 2015, 5:09 AM
As was mentioned in another thread, Right Stuf is going to release Blu-Ray copies of the original Mobile Suit Gundam TV series, along with other Gundam titles such as Gundam ZZ, Victory Gundam, After War Gundam X, and the Turn A Gundam films. Full article here: http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2015-07-03/right-stuf-sunrise-to-release-original-gundam-tv-anime-on-blu-ray-disc/.90041. So Zeta-G, how do you feel about this?

Zeta-G
July 24, 2015, 3:19 AM
MSG is the only one confirmed for Blu-Ray; the release format for the others was not mentioned. That said, I hope they get Blu-Rays. As for the news itself, I was ecstatic back when it was announced. They're clearly not f***ing around with their releases. Though I did have to chuckle at the AUs getting the cold shoulder. I mean everyone knows they could rerelease Wing and G with very little effort and be guaranteed to make money, and yet they prioritized old, previously unlicensed series, as well as rereleases of MSG and Zeta. Can't wait to finish my UC collection and finally see X. Gundam X was finally licensed for NA and Shenmue III is now under active development. Two long held dreams finally made into reality. Hell, even Legend of the Galactic Heroes was finally licensed. It's been an awesome convention season so far. :) Can't wait to see what we get at Otakon and TGS.

Plamobot
July 24, 2015, 9:08 AM
I hope if/when they do rerelease Wing, that they'll at least use the remastered Japanese DVDs as a base point. The original Wing DVDs are messy.

Zeta
August 29, 2015, 12:58 AM
So I was just informed by a contact of mine who happens to personally know the founder of RightStuf! and he said that they're releasing Gundam X next year. From what my contact says, it'll just be a DVD release with an official English sub. When exactly it will come out though is unknown, but keep your eyes and ears open.

Zeta-G
August 29, 2015, 1:07 AM
Yeah, North American releases for Gundam X, Victory, and ZZ were all officially announced as incoming about a month back by Right Stuf.

Zeta
August 29, 2015, 1:15 AM
Yeah, but we never had any specifics on those properties other than "they're coming soon." Now we've got a window for when they're going to release Gundam X. My guess is after the Turn A movies, RightStuf! is going to release ZZ, then X, and finally Victory. If I had to guess, I'd say that you can expect Gundam X to come out in either the spring or the summer.

Nightchaser
August 30, 2015, 10:34 PM
Ah....just when I'm considering watching ZZ..... This must be some divine appointed "sign" that I should watch it. Sigh. Any specific time lines or dates when ZZ will be released? I had always avoided ZZ. Looks like I can't run away this time. I should watch it to complete my UC collection.

The next title on my watch list is MS Gundam. The Origins 1 and 2. I plan to get the Blu Ray DVDs from YesAsia. Are these Blu-Ray disks released by Rightstuf? Should I wait? I was about to order part 1.

Kenico
August 30, 2015, 10:40 PM
MSG is the only one confirmed for Blu-Ray; the release format for the others was not mentioned. That said, I hope they get Blu-Rays. As for the news itself, I was ecstatic back when it was announced. They're clearly not f***ing around with their releases. Though I did have to chuckle at the AUs getting the cold shoulder. I mean everyone knows they could rerelease Wing and G with very little effort and be guaranteed to make money, and yet they prioritized old, previously unlicensed series, as well as rereleases of MSG and Zeta. Can't wait to finish my UC collection and finally see X. Gundam X was finally licensed for NA and Shenmue III is now under active development. Two long held dreams finally made into reality. Hell, even Legend of the Galactic Heroes was finally licensed. It's been an awesome convention season so far. :) Can't wait to see what we get at Otakon and TGS.

*Sees that and falls to his knees in tears* There...is...a God Gundam!

Zeta
August 30, 2015, 10:42 PM
Get the Blu-Rays of Gundam: The Origin on RightStuf. They may be a tad expensive, but they are worth it. I've seen a friend's copy, and it is beautiful.

Zeon's RedComet
August 30, 2015, 10:56 PM
Get the Blu-Rays of Gundam: The Origin on RightStuf. They may be a tad expensive, but they are worth it. I've seen a friend's copy, and it is beautiful.

If they're as expensive as the Unicorn BDs...yeah no...noooo.

No...I don't have the money for that, I'd rather just rent.

- - - Updated - - -

As much as I'd like to support it, Buying single episodes for like $50 is a bit pricey for me.

Half a series? Yeah that's more than fair. A single episode? I don't care if it's Citizen kane I'm not spending that much, I know it's reasonable given the market and the prices, but damn that's Expensive IMO. Still hoping a Box set happens for UC down the line, even if it's DVDs.

Nightchaser
August 30, 2015, 11:43 PM

I can only find the collector's set on Rightstuff. It's expensive.
http://www.rightstufanime.com/Gundam-Mobile-Suit-The-Origin-Blu-ray-1-Hyb-Collector-Ed-Import-US-Can

(http://www.rightstufanime.com/Gundam-Mobile-Suit-The-Origin-Blu-ray-1-Hyb-Collector-Ed-Import-US-Can)I was looking at http://www.yesasia.com/us/mobile-suit-gundam-the-origin-i-multi-language-subtitled-blu-ray-japan/1037788451-0-0-0-en/info.html

I just want the DVD without the booklets and guide. I trust that the 2 sets contain the same disk. Very good because there's French and simplified Chinese subtitles.

Zeta
August 30, 2015, 11:57 PM
Yeah, the collector's edition is the only version that's available on RightStuf. Premium price for a premium item. Also what kind of media player do you have, a DVD player or a Blu-Ray player?

- - - Updated - - -

Plus, the collector's edition has the English dub track on it.

Nightchaser
August 31, 2015, 9:18 AM
Zeta. My player plays both DVD (region 1) and Blu-Ray. I won't pay $99. All I want is the DVD. The booklets take up space and add to weight. I move frequently, so I avoid accumulating things I don't want to keep. The ad for the disk from YesAsia also says it has English dub. I don't want the booklets.

I look forward to the ZZ release. My UC collection is almost complete.

Rau Le Creuset
September 14, 2015, 6:09 PM
I emailed rightstuf a while ago about a standard edition blu ray for the origins and they replied:
Thank you for contacting us! Yes, a standard release is planned! Be sure to follow our social media outlets for all the latest news and information.

So I'm going to wait. It is possible to import the standard japanese edition though, I believe it has english audio.

By the by, not sure if this has been stated, but you can pre-order both sets of the mobile suit Gundam blu rays now! Hopefully if we buy them it'll show them there is a large market for the blurays over here and we'll see other titles transfered to the format. Here's hoping.

Riah
October 9, 2015, 5:10 PM
Here's some New York Comicon announcement stuff.

I got all of this via @debaoki on Twitter so kudos to her.

http://i59.tinypic.com/wvycdt.jpg

And we're getting Z, ZZ, X, BF, Try, and G Reco all on DVD next year apparently.
http://i60.tinypic.com/a9vcax.jpg

http://i60.tinypic.com/4iik94.jpg

I WISH some of those like X and G Reco will get dubbed but they won't.

http://i62.tinypic.com/2d7a8sy.jpg

"Gundam the Origin II: Artesia's Sorrow - simultaneous worldwide release starts Oct 31 "

XXXG-01H
October 9, 2015, 5:17 PM
Not sure about G-Reco (not my style) but I'd definitely like to see X get an English dub, bring back some of the awesome voices the English dub of GW got, two of which I've talked to personally. Call me lazy, but in most cases I prefer English dubs over the original because I end up straining my eyes reading the damned subtitles instead of watching what's going on, lol

futabaaoi
October 9, 2015, 5:29 PM
I don't have a problem with a sub or dub, just as long as it doesn't sound like another "type" of show I'm fine. Subtitles never bothered me. Then again, I watch either version while working on stuff.

Riah
October 9, 2015, 5:56 PM
bring back some of the awesome voices the English dub of GW got

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LtI0Aal3C6w
Agreed, we need the second coming of General Septum's voice actor. That was the greatest performance in Gundam history.

Zeta
October 9, 2015, 6:33 PM
If they were to dub Gundam X, I'd rather they get either a Texas based cast or an LA based cast. As much as I like the Ocean Studios dubs, they're kind of dated by today's standards.

A_Lurker
October 9, 2015, 6:45 PM
Anime News network reports that sunrise announced Iron Blooded Orphans is getting a dub, and build fighters and build fighters try and other series like reconguista in g are going to be in general distribution in the US in 2016. Let's just say my wallet is going to hate me next year! :p
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2015-10-09/sunrise-to-dub-gundam-iron-blooded-orphans-release-gundam-build-fighters/.94015

Edit: Damn, looks like this has already been talked about. That's what I get for not reading the latest page of the thread. :-? Nonetheless still very good news!

Zeta-G
November 7, 2015, 2:28 AM
The head of Right Stuf revealed on the latest ANNcast that Zeta is getting an American Blu-Ray release in early 2016. Sold.

Squee
November 23, 2015, 7:00 PM
Interesting, but kind of sad. Gundam seems to not be gaining as many fans with the younger generation.

http://smartanswer.colopl-research.jp/reports/2726bf52-c312-455b-9a3b-1be3fef6ecbb

NoZaku
November 24, 2015, 4:20 AM
Interesting, but kind of sad. Gundam seems to not be gaining as many fans with the younger generation.

http://smartanswer.colopl-research.jp/reports/2726bf52-c312-455b-9a3b-1be3fef6ecbb

So is their a translation or do you want us to guess what it says?

Zeon's RedComet
November 24, 2015, 1:36 PM
So is their a translation or do you want us to guess what it says?

Chrome has a translate button you know right?

Squee
November 25, 2015, 12:55 AM
Chrome has a translate button you know right?

Good thing someone here understands technology. All browsers have the option. How one doesn't have it, especially in a hobby/media like ours, where most things are in another language is shocking.

Zeon's RedComet
November 25, 2015, 1:03 AM
Pretty much.

Didn't know if other major browsers had it or not so limited it to chrome (definitely don't remember it on is buput its updated allot since I used it last and who uses it anymore lol)

But yes failing browser doing it Google translate is a thin may not be pretty butmit works in a pinch.

Nightchaser
December 21, 2015, 12:08 AM
The head of Right Stuf revealed on the latest ANNcast that Zeta is getting an American Blu-Ray release in early 2016. Sold.

It's strange that I never had the zeal to upgrade my existing DVD collection to Blu-Ray unless the new acquisitions are available only in Blu-Ray. I have been through too many transitions, VHS, VCDs, Laser Disks, DVDs and Blu-Ray. When presented with a choice of DVD and Blu-Ray, I choose DVD. I did however snap up the 3 Rurouni Kenshin live movies in Blu-Ray but that's different, it's Kenshin (Takeru Sato).

I am waiting for my MS Gundam The Origin Parts I and II to arrive. They are in Blu-Ray....alright, I suppose that this is also different because it's Char and I don't have a choice, the English dub is available only in Blu-Ray.

Zeta
February 3, 2016, 4:07 AM
So ANN has a little Gundam themed contest going on right now. The prizes? Three winners will receive a copy of the new Zeta Gundam Vol. 1 release in either a DVD or Blu-Ray format (winner's choice of course); three winners will receive a DVD copy of Turn A Gundam; three winners will, much like the Zeta Gundam set, will receive a DVD or Blu-Ray copy of Mobile Suit Gundam Vol. 1; and one lucky winner will get ALL of those goodies. Link for rules and full description of the contest is here: http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/contest/2016-02-02/win-a-gundam/.98257

Riah
February 15, 2016, 9:34 PM
http://www.scifijapan.com/articles/2016/02/15/right-stuf-and-sunrise-inc-announce-mobile-suit-zeta-gundam-a-new-translation-and-gundam-evolve-for-may-3rd/

Just like it says, we're getting A New Translation and Evolve in May.

NoZaku
February 15, 2016, 10:09 PM
http://www.scifijapan.com/articles/2016/02/15/right-stuf-and-sunrise-inc-announce-mobile-suit-zeta-gundam-a-new-translation-and-gundam-evolve-for-may-3rd/

Just like it says, we're getting A New Translation and Evolve in May.

When is ZZ Gundam is what I want to know.

Plamobot
February 16, 2016, 9:52 AM
Sometime this year, I believe. Along with Gundam X, I think?

Plamobot
March 2, 2016, 5:09 PM
Speak of the devil! Gundam ZZ on Blu-ray and Gundam X on DVD are coming at the beginning of June!

http://www.rightstufanime.com/Mobile-Suit-Gundam-ZZ-Collection-1-Blu-ray

Zeta
March 2, 2016, 6:17 PM
That's awesome. The black sheep of Gundam finally make their may to our shores. Still, I think that Nozomi Entertainment and Right Stuf should give both of these series dubs. They could even use Kickstarter as a sort of barometer in order to gauge consumer interest in a dub. Funimation is doing it with their upcoming re-release of Escaflowne, and by all accounts it's doing well.

NoZaku
March 2, 2016, 6:31 PM
Speak of the devil! Gundam ZZ on Blu-ray and Gundam X on DVD are coming at the beginning of June!

http://www.rightstufanime.com/Mobile-Suit-Gundam-ZZ-Collection-1-Blu-ray

http://cloud-3.steamusercontent.com/ugc/35218420280107903/45725866F52CEB49F6C1A999A8F032D9221DC6BD/

My favorite Gundam is coming!!! :D

Zeta-G
March 14, 2016, 4:22 PM
About Gundamn time! :D

Plamobot
May 4, 2016, 4:15 PM
Here comes Build Fighters, due out in August!

http://www.rightstufanime.com/Gundam-Build-Fighters-Blu-ray

Zeta
May 5, 2016, 6:31 AM
It's also getting an English dub:

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2016-05-04/right-stuf-schedules-gundam-build-fighters-on-blu-ray-dvd-on-august-2/.101773

However, it's going to be an Animax Hong Kong dub:

https://twitter.com/NozomiEnt/status/727954419782848512

Honestly, this move sounds really cheap and lazy. I mean, it's no biggie for them to use the old dubs for Zeta and 0079 since those dubs are of decent and watchable quality, but this move it just... I have no words to describe this. Dumbfounded, maybe?

Plamobot
May 5, 2016, 8:27 AM
Has anyone heard this dub yet?

Zeta
May 5, 2016, 8:52 AM
Only those who watched the Philippine broadcast of GBF.

Zeon's RedComet
May 5, 2016, 5:04 PM
Long as Right Stuf brings over the BDs of G Gundam with the dub I don't care what they do with BF.

- - - Updated - - -

That said I don't see how it's cheap and lazy. They haven't put new dubs on anything, it's all been existing ones. Hell they could of just for went the dub all together on this. I think it's a good option for those that want it, even if it ends up being bad.

Riah
May 14, 2016, 1:05 AM
I just wanted to pop in say "Congratulations!" on Iron Blooded Orphans coming to Toonami. Turner mentions the show on the "new acquisitions" part of this press release. Gundam is home. Home sweet home.

https://www.turner.com/pressroom/adult-swim-continues-capture-millennial-audiences-multi-platform-programming-slate

http://i.imgur.com/8NkoABr.gif

Seriously, this is great! A whole new generation of Gundam fans could come from this just like they did from Wing and Seed! And maybe it'll be popular enough for chains other than B&N to pick up gunpla! This is the real push I've been hoping for for the English gundam scene for years.