PDA

View Full Version : EXIA 1/60 back on the bench......

Gouf
October 2, 2014, 12:35 PM
I burned out on this project a year ago after a lot of mods. Now it's back on the bench to get finished.

I recreated the sticker sheet in Illustrator and had it laser printed at 1200dpi on clear decal film. Then applied the decals for under the lenses over top of fluorescent green paint. Also did a lot of weathering with Tamiya pastels. Drilled out the eyes in the head for lighting and put lights in the GN drive.

Link to GN drive light test:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kdPE7PzGecU&feature=plcp

Thoughts?
D.

Dlinker
October 2, 2014, 12:59 PM
Whatever you got done looks nice. What kind of mods were you doing on it?

Gouf
October 2, 2014, 1:19 PM
Whatever you got done looks nice. What kind of mods were you doing on it?
I hollowed out the solid red plastic eyes and filled them with clear blue lacquer gel for lighting. Created a battery box inside the back of the head behind the neck joint. I hollowed out the inside of the GN drive for lighting, so it would be attached by magnets and removeable for battery changes.

The best way to describe the 1/60 Exia, is Bandai took the 1/144 HG and blew it up to larger proportions. So it had a large number of hollow areas that needed filled for it to look right. Also it had a lot of ABS joints/seems that require 3x the amount of sanding. Also redoing the yellow vents on the chest to make them anime acurate. Sharpened the GN sword and Alclad Chrome it.

Chaser90EK
October 2, 2014, 2:56 PM
There is just something about the Exia's design that makes it hard to work with as is... the mods have got to be a nightmare but I'm sure it will be worth it in the end.

Dlinker
October 2, 2014, 2:59 PM
Wow, that is a lot of work. Just the sanding part on those ABS joints/seams sounds daunting as is. Great idea with using magnets for the GN Drive; That will keep it going for a long time since you can easily change out the battery. Is the head the same way too with easy battery replacement?

Gouf
October 3, 2014, 6:20 PM
9614 9615 9616 9617 9618

I few close ups of the lenses with the custom decals and the cockpit. the head and chest still need some work.

Gouf
October 3, 2014, 6:22 PM
Wow, that is a lot of work.... Is the head the same way too with easy battery replacement?

Yes, I just pop the head off of the poly cap and the battery slots right in:

9619 9620

I still need to add the decal on the forehead, mohawk armor, and antenna...

Chaser90EK
October 6, 2014, 8:40 AM
Love the decals. Like how they really pop. I plan to buy an exia and use it to learn how to wire LEDs

thwalker13
October 6, 2014, 8:57 AM
Great looking kit. All those details and GN condensers look great. The green lettering really pops.

Gouf
October 7, 2014, 10:50 AM
Thanks thwalker ;) You should see the lettering near a black light. :)

I got to work on the sword. Sharpened it to a point, and did a 2 tone Alclad metallizer paint job on it.

Nice an shiny....

Dlinker
October 7, 2014, 11:10 AM
That looks fantastic. Major props on the blade edge; The shinier finish brings it out way more.

thwalker13
October 7, 2014, 11:17 AM
Love the look of the sword man. The two-tone effect looks really good.

Gouf
October 7, 2014, 6:11 PM
Thanks. I hope to get more of this done before the weekend...