PDA

View Full Version : ENGR's Garage

gundamENGR
October 1, 2014, 10:54 PM
So these are the kits I'm currently working on, but I'm very slow because of work:

Legend BB Knight Gundam
Got this guy mostly cause he can turn into half horse XD, and he'll be the guy I experiment air-brushing first.

HGGS Astray Blue Frame 2nd L
Got this guy cause I'm thinking of doing a Riven (LoL) inspired gundam. But I have a long ways to go here.

HGUC MS-18E Kampfer
Got this guy cause he simply looks bad a**, and he's the one I want to paint next. Haven't finished all the weapons yet, namely beam saber and mines.

Overall, I'm a slow worker and I like putting them together OOB first. I have the HGUC Astray Red Frame [Flight Unit] and MG Deathscythe EW on backlog. I also have a couple more gashapon's I'm working on.

thwalker13
October 2, 2014, 7:36 AM
Great looking kits man. If you're going to paint the Kampfer, then I certainly can't wait to see it. I love the Kampfer.

gundamENGR
October 2, 2014, 11:00 AM
Thanks dude, I definitely plan on painting kampfer I already have some colors picked out :D

thwalker13
October 2, 2014, 11:28 AM
Awesome. Can't wait to see what you have planned for it.

gundamENGR
October 5, 2014, 11:55 PM
How about an update! So I started practicing using the airbrush, but I didn't have any spoons lol. Laid down some colors that I'm thinking of using on Kampfer. I went gung-ho with the gloss black so when it came down to laying some candy cobalt blue.......of course it didn't show up. So I sprayed some on the polished aluminum just to get an idea.
From left to rigt: black chrome, copper, chrome (clearly my chrome skills are terrible, maybe it'll buff out and have a reflection....idk), pale gold, and polished aluminum w/ candy cobalt blue

Dlinker
October 6, 2014, 1:29 AM
What brand of paints were you using for those tests?

gundamENGR
October 6, 2014, 8:18 AM
Vallejo primer (which oddly I had to thin, I know others were saying you don't have to but mine kept clogging). Then Alclad II Lacquer black gloss base and the rest were Alclad II Lacquers as well.

Dlinker
October 6, 2014, 11:11 AM
Ah, okay. The Polished Aluminum, Black Chrome, and Chrome are the hi-shine variety and those will take some practice to get the desired shiny finish. I find that if your Gloss Black base doesn't have a mirror shine, then anything you put on top won't have it either so the base is the most important part. Copper and Pale Gold look good since those are designed to be sprayed on any surface without much prep, although it will obviously look better with more prep.

gundamENGR
October 6, 2014, 1:08 PM
Ahh I see ok thanks for the tips! Looks like it'll be back to practicing before I touch Kampfer, at least with those colors. I may or may not pick up a kit just for the hell of painting practice lol.

gundamENGR
October 19, 2014, 11:38 PM
Been a while since I've updated. However, after hours of practicing, color experimenting, many mistakes (including peeling paint), and spilling of valuable paint... This is where I'm at with Kampfer (which isn't much):

After I lay down some varnish on the ones that are done being painted, I will move onto the body. So still a long ways to go and that's not even including the weapons.

gundamENGR
October 19, 2014, 11:44 PM
For the main body originally I was thinking the following color:
But after some experimenting I'm going to use the following color:

Dlinker
October 19, 2014, 11:59 PM
That second pic definitely looks better. The metallics on those other parts are looking great, also. Clean and shiny.

gundamENGR
October 20, 2014, 12:04 AM
Thanks! The glossy black base tip definitely helped, also saves paint :D

thwalker13
October 20, 2014, 7:48 AM
I agree with Dlinker, the 2nd color looks way better. As a fan of the Kampfer, I can't wait to see this kit come together.

Chaser90EK
October 20, 2014, 12:43 PM
I love the Kampfer... such an underrated suit...

gundamENGR
October 20, 2014, 1:41 PM
Yeah I'd definitely love to see a RG version, this is the suit I couldn't wait to start first.

thwalker13
October 20, 2014, 2:25 PM
Oh man, a RG Kampfer. That would be amazing!

gundamENGR
October 25, 2014, 11:38 PM
An UPDATE yaaay, seriously though tired from all the painting and many little mistakes here and there (chipping, varnish build up that I tried to scrape off smh, glue making the paint peel, tape making the paint peel, repaint, too much repainting making the plastic brittle, etc.) I've learned from all those mistakes on what to do and what not to do. I'm also pretty impatient which tends to lead to many mistakes, but its my first complete kit so its a learning process, anyways UPDATE time

*Edit* I apologize for the poor pictures, but I'm too tired to re-take them

Here are the pieces that are done with the paint process:
Currently just finished laying down the paint for a the other body parts and they basically look like this:
Close up of that blue:

The blue I ended up with was a bit different than what I was originally going to aim for (I know why smh), but I really like the sheen type finish on this one so I'm happy.

thwalker13
October 26, 2014, 12:39 AM
Very nice job on the frame pieces. They look great and the metallic look they have is spectacular. And that blue, I love that blue man.

gundamENGR
October 26, 2014, 9:26 AM
Thanks dude, I'm pretty happy with the blue as well. Can't wait when I can finally put it all together XD

Dlinker
October 26, 2014, 10:10 PM
This hobby isn't fun without mistakes, haha. Your kit's still looking great despite it all. Glad you stuck with that second blue.

gundamENGR
October 27, 2014, 2:13 PM
It's almost complete so here is a sneak peek.
Still have some details to paint on and need to finish the mono-eye.

**Edit** not sure why two pictures got added...

thwalker13
October 27, 2014, 2:24 PM
Wow, Kampfer Metallic finish version. I love it man!

Dlinker
October 27, 2014, 3:05 PM
Holy crap, that shine is just lovely. Can't wait to see the whole thing.

gundamENGR
October 27, 2014, 9:05 PM
Thanks guys, yeah I can't wait to finish it.

Zaku
October 28, 2014, 3:26 AM
Wow. That Kämpfer is looking amazing.

jayhat100
October 28, 2014, 7:48 PM
That blue is amazing can't wait to see this thing finished

gundamENGR
October 29, 2014, 10:41 PM
Alright so I'm pretty much finished with the main body, it just needs to be decal-ed:

I've also started putting together the RG Mk-II:

Sinervale
October 29, 2014, 11:33 PM
That Kampher....I have no words....just tears of joy on seeing that thing.

Zaku
October 29, 2014, 11:37 PM
That Kämpfer is sooo pimptacular.

Chaser90EK
October 30, 2014, 8:50 AM
I would totally be ok with getting a shotgun to the face from this suit...

Dlinker
October 30, 2014, 10:52 AM
^ This right here. Really nice work on that kit, man. Smooth, shiny metallic finish all around and the prominent mono-eye seals the deal.

gundamENGR
October 30, 2014, 11:20 AM
Haha thanks guys. It's time to move onto the weapons so we'll see how that goes

thwalker13
October 30, 2014, 12:18 PM
Simply stunning work on that Kampfer man! All the colors go so well together and look amazing. I cannot wait to see the weapons.

gundamENGR
November 1, 2014, 7:28 PM
Needed a break from painting so I got this guys stood up:
my wife was praising him for his flexibility lol
I enjoyed this build :)

Zeta
November 1, 2014, 7:31 PM
I really want to get one those, but only the AEUG colors.

Bossguy
November 1, 2014, 11:14 PM
Great builds! That Kampfer looks amazing.

gundamENGR
November 2, 2014, 9:40 AM
Thanks bossguy, zeta you should he is really fun to build. The shoulder, chest, and side of the leg comes with swappable pieces which I thought was cool

gundamENGR
November 9, 2014, 8:40 PM
So I got this guy stood up, and I'm pretty sure this is going to be my next painting project. Color scheme is going to be similar to that of the Kampfer. I'm going for a really deep crimson metallic red in place of all the pinkish red. Not sure yet how I'm going to handle the two different tones of pinkish red. Then I'm going for a shiny gold in place of the dark red, and probably copper hose again with internal frame being aluminum. Black will probably be a metallic gunmetal.

gundamENGR
November 29, 2014, 12:32 AM
Using the break to paint, currently working on a leg. Should have it mostly done by tomorrow.

thwalker13
November 29, 2014, 10:36 AM
The frame is looking really good, and I love that shade of red.

gundamENGR
November 29, 2014, 10:46 AM
Thanks man, I decided to go with steel on the frame instead of aluminum. I figured aluminum would pop too much and draw attention away from the real focus which is the exterior.

Bossguy
November 29, 2014, 4:55 PM
Very nice. I like the steel a lot.

gundamENGR
November 29, 2014, 7:06 PM
Thanks dude yeah I was pleasantly surprised at how the color turned out.

Dlinker
November 29, 2014, 9:08 PM
No base coat under that steel? Just curious. It looks good regardless. And the red is looking lovely.

gundamENGR
November 30, 2014, 12:17 AM
Black base coat but the steel is a regular shine, so I'm just using the black as a primer.

Here's the leg, just missing the hose. I also broke a piece so I'm really kicking myself for that. There's two tones of red but it's probably really hard to see under this lighting.

gundamENGR
November 30, 2014, 12:20 AM
Another shot

Zeta
November 30, 2014, 1:18 AM
So are you going to go for a Johnny Ridden Zaku look?

gundammonkey
November 30, 2014, 9:49 AM
I like the candy cobalt, I use a lot of the Alclad, but my store dose not have any of the candy color you are lucky! You are doing a great job with your kampfer so far. I agree with other on ths post, he is way underrated. I see him as the MARINE grunt of the mech world, just tough and bad a**.

gundamENGR
November 30, 2014, 10:47 AM
Agreed kampfer is definitely underrated. I've actually finished him though, you can find more pics in my finished thread. I'm now working on the red comet.

My local hobby shop doesn't carry any alclad. I actually get them all from eBay from a seller in burbank ca. The seller packages it up really well with peanuts and bubble wrap, so no fear of the bottles breaking.

skulblaka-ven
November 30, 2014, 10:55 AM
Definitely love the red you got there. That's a proper bling. Combined with the steel color, you got one sexy leg. Well done, man, well done!

gundamENGR
November 30, 2014, 6:50 PM
So are you going to go for a Johnny Ridden Zaku look?

Not exactly. I just felt like the red comet needed to be more red, it'll be a bit custom but closer to Char's uniform.

Zeta
November 30, 2014, 8:54 PM
Hmm... interesting. I still think it would be cooler in Johnny Ridden colors. He doesn't get a lot the of respect he deserves. Always over-shadowed by Char Aznable.

Dlinker
November 30, 2014, 10:14 PM
Lovely shine you got going on it. No gloss coat on it yet?

gundamENGR
November 30, 2014, 11:27 PM
I do have a gloss coat. Trying out the alclad klear kote, but even after leaving it overnight it still felt sticky. So I put some floor varnish on it, same stuff I used on the kampfer. I like the feel it leaves behind more, but I'll continue using the klear kote for toughness.

If it makes you feel better zeta I'll definitely be taking inspiration from the Johnny Ridden scheme since you mentioned it. You should totally do one in Johnny Ridden colors :D

More photos I finished an arm tonight. But I made a noob mistake and missed a spot I thought wouldn't be seen (not shown in photos lol)

gundamENGR
November 30, 2014, 11:28 PM
Definitely love the red you got there. That's a proper bling. Combined with the steel color, you got one sexy leg. Well done, man, well done!
Thanks dude there's also black chrome in there too. I accidentally painted the front of the foot black chrome too XD but I must say I like the mistake.

gundamENGR
November 30, 2014, 11:42 PM
Forgot this shot, not as good as walker's footwork but I painted the thruster :D

Gundam4Fun
November 17, 2017, 8:25 AM
Nice work!