PDA

View Full Version : MG Crossbone Vangaurd

sigepbsd
September 23, 2014, 2:23 PM
My next adventure will be working on the MG Crossbone x1, x2, and x3. I snapped the X1 together and have started painting. going to go with a stock color scheme with a few small liberties. Thinking a pale gold or copper for the yellow chest vents. Also wanted your opinion of a semi gloss coat with Mr. Super Clear. Has anyone used it and how do you like the way it looks. Thanks. Love This Kit. So much fun to build.

- - - Updated - - -

More Photos coming tonight

Dlinker
September 23, 2014, 2:56 PM
How are the joints on yours? I recently worked on one and the knee joints needed tightening.

sigepbsd
September 23, 2014, 3:02 PM
Knee Joints are pretty bad, After a few layers of pain and top coat it should be ok. I have an old Crossbone Full Cloth I hand painted in the X2 color scheme and it was ok at the time I completed it. took it out of the box 2 years later and it was loose again. Sometimes I use a little glue on the pivoting points and let it dry before assembly just to give the parts something to grab onto if that makes sense. This Kit has no poly caps so its hard plastic on plastic making it a little touchy.

Dlinker
September 23, 2014, 5:20 PM
Yeah, I hear you on that. I had to apply several coats of Future on the kit I worked on. I think I did two coats a day for three days. I would apply the two coats, check on it a day later, and apply more if it's still kinda loose. I guess it's not too bad since some people say every joint is loose on theirs.

sigepbsd
September 23, 2014, 11:29 PM
Hello all. For the inner frame I chose burnt iron. Love this color for internal parts.

thwalker13
September 24, 2014, 7:49 AM
A great color for the inner frame.

Dlinker
September 24, 2014, 11:08 AM
Is that the Metalizer kind? And if so, the buffing version?

sigepbsd
September 24, 2014, 11:23 AM
Yes it is the model master Non-Buffing kind. I used the sealer for metalizer through my airbrush and it added a nice shine. ill post more Pics tonight when im home. I really like the MR. Color Metal version but its hard to find locally and usually out of stock online. Going to go a shade lighter with the buffing Burnt Metal color of the corefighter wings frame section and color the pistons copper.

Gouf
September 24, 2014, 7:22 PM
I've always been curious about this kit. Very cool.

sigepbsd
September 30, 2014, 12:27 AM
long weekend away from painting. So the feet, wrist, and all other red parts done with mr color red. The camera makes this red really pop, more of a crimson red in real life.

The yellow parts were done with model masters metalizer brass. Love this color and I usually go metallic on any yellow parts.

Used Mr Color navy for the dark blue, turned out nice, I like the deep blue grey, same color I'll use for the X2

Debating between doing the rest of the easy painting with parts that will be just white or going for the difficult multi color masking tape jobs like the core fighter and weapons.

sigepbsd
September 30, 2014, 1:09 AM
Going to start the prep work on this guy when I have some down time

Dlinker
September 30, 2014, 1:24 AM
Hey, I have that exact same kit. Currently in the backlog, though. You don't think you'll be tired of the Crossbone design by the time you start working on the third one?

sigepbsd
September 30, 2014, 8:32 AM
By the time in done I will have built enough crossbones to fill a lifetime, but the effort and repetition is worth it for the end result of having the x1 x2 and x3 displayed together.