PDA

View Full Version : Twitch's Gundam WIP

Twitch
September 19, 2014, 2:29 AM
Hello, I am Twitch and I am new here. I am working on some Gundam designs, but I have some questions for the forum members. So here are a few questions that I have (please excuse the wall of text):

1) What is the most powerful regular Beam Rifle (not counting Wing or Wing Zero)?
- From what I can research, the beam rifle from Zeta Gundam is the most powerful. I do believe that Double Zeta's double beam rifle *is* more powerful, but I am not a fan of the series and therefore am excluding it. I know that Nu and Hi-Nu's beam rifles are more rapid fire, but Zeta is more powerful. Granted, I get this info from Gundam Wiki and all UC beam weapons have their respected MW power outputs listed. How does Gundam 00 Seven Swords's beam rifle compare to the others? I have not seen anything regarding a "power output" and that rifle sure does look sweet.

2) Which Gundam has the most maneuverable legs?
- Again, I believe that this belongs to Zeta. I like how they are bulkier than your standard Gundam legs, and they have boosters/thrusters galore. I know that Wing and Wing Zero are perhaps the *most* agile out of all of the Gundams, but that is mainly due to their wings and not the legs. So this is strictly talking about legs.

3) Which Gundam's head, torso, and shoulders state, "I'm here to kick [explicit] and chew bubblegum. And I'm all out of bubblegum." ?
- Most of the Gundams do not have many shoulder or torso features. The only ones that have any real torso features are the RX-79[G] Gundam Ground Type, at least to my knowledge, and those are strictly for ground combat. I am looking to design something that is a universal Gundam that can excell in all scenarios and is not just restricted to ground, space, or atmospheric flight. Sure, Heavyarms has guns and missiles in its torso and shoulders, but that is already in use (I will explain below).

4) (Not really a question) Here are the two Gundams that I want to/currently am designing:

Liberty Gundam (see https://www.flickr.com/photos/tftwitch/sets/72157645462303896/ for photos, currently undergoing an update) + final features. Liberty Gundam is the embodiment of 'Murca and will be very Rambo/Commando/ACTION/big gun-oriented.
- Heavyarms Kai torso, shoulders, hip launchers, lower leg launchers
- Wing Zero EW wings (to represent the Bald Eagle)
- Strike legs and forearms (I like how they look)
- Zeta beam rifle (see Question 1)
- GN Drive (to interface with Minovsky/Plavsky/GN paricles)
- Bald Eagle shield (similar to Deathscythe, can shoot "Bald Eagle")
- Second hand-held weapon (carried in left hand) is To Be Determined. I might go with an altered Heavyarms Kai Double Gatling, but I am unsure at this moment. But it definitely needs lots of bullets.
- Head TBD. I am thinking either an M1 Astray or Astray Red Frame head since the V-Fin is very pronounced, and a large V would stand for "victory", and homage to WWII slogan/hand signal (the reverse peace sign).
The entire Liberty Gundam is red, white, and blue. It is meant to be VERY stereotype of America with the attitude of "GUNS, MISSILES, and BEER, woohoo!" I have also thought about adding an optional Democracy Cannon, which is similar to the Mega Bazooka Launcher used by the Hyaku Shiki. This will help Liberty Gundam spread the Democracy to one and all.

Gundam Harbinger (still in the planning phase). Gundam Harbinger is meant to be tailored to my personal fighting style, which is to be quick, agile, maneuverable, and still have lots of firepower. The colors are black, red, with blue highlights. This is an homage to my favorite Armored Core of all times: Nineball. The name "Harbinger" is a synonym of "Oracle", which is my favorite looking AC, which is from AC: Nexus.
- Hi-v Head
- Blue Destiny 2 Torso
- Shoulders TBD, please see Question 3
- Zeta Gundam lower legs, see Question 2
- Freedom (not Strike Freedom) wings and railguns (love the style of those)
- Strike Freedom forearms for beam shield protection
- GN Drive
- 00 7 Sword GN Sword II Blaster in left hand, see Question 1
- 00 GN Sword III in right hand, the ability to swap between a beam rifle and solid sword is amazing. Also, to assist with being able to tackle almost every situation, having a solid blade would help counter/parry other solid blades. A beam saber would simply cut through a solid blade (without beam coating or emitter), leaving the un-severed end (still being held by the enemy MS) to come at you. I like versatility.
- Hip-mounted beam sabers, unknown from which MS. I would love to use two Epyon beam swords, but those need to be tethered straight to to Gundam's power source. But WOW that beam sword is perhaps the most powerful beam melee weapon EVER.
- Are there any ideas for an anti-bit/funnel weapon system? All that it currently has are the two hand-held beam rifles and the head-mounted vulcans. Would those be sufficient or is another system needed?

I am working on designs for a booster unit for Harbinger that is similar to the METEOR from SEED and the VOB from Armored Core: For Answer. The "WTF is THAT!?" from Stardust Memory (we all know what I am talking about here) is also and influence. It will most likely have two GN Drives and a form of beam shielding that envelops the entire unit (still working out the particulars). When Harbinger docks, arms extend and take its handheld weapons and places them on the booster unit. Then Wing Zero EW's buster rifle fold out to be grasped by Harbinger's hands. Each rifle will also have an Epyon Beam Sword mounted at the end. I chose Wing Zero EW twin buster rifle since not only can it destroy a colony in one shot, but it also draws its power from the suit itself, and therefore is not limited to three shots. There will be a some missile launchers and turrets mounted on the unit. I was also thinking about some devices that utilize the Minovsky Craft System so that it can be used within an atmospheric environment. For the "beam shield bubble" (as I will call it now), I know that a regular I-Field only block beam attacks. Nu and Hi-Nu's funnels can create a beam barrier that block projectiles, but I do not want to use a funnel/bit system. Virtue is able to generate a GN Barrier around itself, but the devices that create it are housed inside its GN Cannons. I would like for Harbinger's weapons to be able to fire out of the field but the field not let anything it. UNLESS (I just had this idea while typing) I mount Virtue's GN Cannons and orient them to face aft so that they can shoot down anything that comes from behind. I am liking this idea so far...

If you are reading this then you have made it through the Wall of Text. I thank you for taking the time to read everything. Please leave your suggestions and thoughts! I look forward to your answers.

Edit: I forgot to mention that I will want to work with HG 1/144 scale, unless there is another 1/144 grade that I am unaware of. I chose 1/144 since that is what is used in GBF. Since I have not done any Gunpla, I will most likely want to start off with the RX-78-2 first since it is the original Gundam. After that I may do some other kits or go straight into the kit-bashing. I do have some modelling experience, but not with Gunpla in particular.

Edit 2: As I will be redoing the Liberty Gundam in LEGO, I might also do Gundam Harbinger in LEGO as well to work out the not only the basic look but the finer details as well. As for the booster, I am unknown if I will make a LEGO version of that.

thwalker13
September 19, 2014, 7:50 AM
Dude, that LEGO design looks freaking awesome! What program did you use for that?

And there is the RG 1/144 scale line that you could use. They made the Freedom, Strike Freedom, Zeta, and Exia all in the RG line. They might be a bit harder to kit bash but you'd get some detail with them.

Twitch
September 19, 2014, 8:14 AM
Dude, that LEGO design looks freaking awesome! What program did you use for that?

And there is the RG 1/144 scale line that you could use. They made the Freedom, Strike Freedom, Zeta, and Exia all in the RG line. They might be a bit harder to kit bash but you'd get some detail with them.

I appreciate the feedback! The program is called LEGO Digital Designer (LDD) and can be downloaded for free from the LEGO website. The picture of Liberty Gundam in the classic Wing Zero EW pose was rendered using POVray. I will look into the RG 1/144 line. Do you have any thoughts on my questions or the build setup that I want to go with for both Gundams?

Dlinker
September 19, 2014, 11:37 AM
For question #1: I think it's best to just go with what looks coolest because the fiction behind each series is completely different, making it hard to compare. Or just stick with UC and if that's the case, what about the Beam Magnum?

For question #2: What about the Infinite Justice's legs? Seeing as they're used as close-combat weapons, one can argue they need to be very agile and quick.

For question #3: The only thing that comes to mind is either the Sazabi (especially with the beam spray cannon in the torso) or the Crossbone X-2/X-2 Kai.

For anti-funnel weaponry, I haven't seen much of it. Most of the countermeasures I've seen involve slicing or shooting them like they were regular suits.

thwalker13
September 19, 2014, 2:36 PM
1: I'd probably have to say that the most powerful standard rifle I've seen would have to be the Beam Magnum from Unicorn. It's power output is said to rival that of a ship mounted cannon. Granted it's only got a six round E-Cap, but if the pilot is accurate enough, it can cause some serious damage.

2: I would agree with Dlinker on the Infinite Justice. The fact that it has the beam connection in the knee and foot would mean that it would have to be maneuverable enough to put them to use.

3: The Strike Freedom has a cannon mounted in it's torso as well. Similar to that of the Sazabi. As for the shoulders and the head, I think those would just have to end up being your personal preference of what looks best with the rest of the kit. Parts that will tie everything together.

Twitch
September 21, 2014, 8:28 AM
Blah blah blah. :)

More blah blah blah. :)

Thank you both for your input. I am using more than just the Mobile Suits from the Universal Century timeline, but those are easy to reference since Gundam Wiki has the output for most of those beam weapons. I like the Beam Magnum and it has some crazy output, but I do have two issues with it. The first is that it takes a moment to charge up, and the second is its limited ammunition supply. However, to play devil's advocate, I bring up another question. In GBF I never see anyone have to reload or use E-Caps. Does that mean that any rifle has unlimited ammunition (to include ones that fire solid projectiles) or did we just not see them reload? Some clarification on that would definitely shape which route any of my two WIPs would head. For now I think that Liberty will stick with Zeta's beam rifle and Harbinger will stick with 00 7S. Should I actually get to make these in gunpla, logistically this will make sense since I would be using multiple parts from one kit instead of just buying a kit for just one specific item. Which brings me into the part about the legs (see what I did there?). I agree with you and see your point that Infinite Justice would need some highly agile legs, and even considered them, but they do not seem to fit my personal aesthetic style. I think that I will stick with Zeta's legs for Harbinger simply because they are bulkier than normal Gundam legs (and thus sort of break the norm) and they have lots of thrusters. I counted five per leg on the Zeta compared to the one on Infinite Justice. I believe that the higher numbers win here. Regarding the torso, I like the idea of the Sazabi/Strike Freedom. Since Harbinger is a Gundam-type, I believe that Strike Freedom is the better choice, and I think that it flows wit the overall design better than the Crossbone Gundam would. Once again, since I would want to get Strike Freedom for the forearms, logistically this would make sense. I will have to look at the different shoulder designs, but I think that both Liberty and Harbinger will get an Astray-type head. I like the Astrays since they are mass-produced "mini Gundams" in my opinion. I hope that this does not mean that I am completely shooting down your advice or not taking it into consideration; I am, I am just giving my own opinions on the matter.

On another note, are there any suggestions for the current setup for the two Gundams? Or for the booster unit?

Dlinker
September 21, 2014, 2:58 PM
There's no such thing as ammo per-se in GBF, that's why we never see reloads of any kind. Your hunch is correct: everyone has unlimited ammo.

No worries about our input; It's your design so you're free to do whatever you want. Besides, it seems our definitions of agility and maneuverability are different and your definitions (in this case, more thrusters) fit your design more.

For the booster unit, have you considered the GN Arms from 00? Maybe you can mix that in with the others and see if fits somewhere.

Twitch
September 26, 2014, 12:49 AM
There's no such thing as ammo per-se in GBF, that's why we never see reloads of any kind. Your hunch is correct: everyone has unlimited ammo.

No worries about our input; It's your design so you're free to do whatever you want. Besides, it seems our definitions of agility and maneuverability are different and your definitions (in this case, more thrusters) fit your design more.

For the booster unit, have you considered the GN Arms from 00? Maybe you can mix that in with the others and see if fits somewhere.

For me, the more boosters the better since it means more swoosh and zipping around. I value being able to dodge incoming fire, so Zeta's legs seem to be the much most best-est-er at that. The booster unit is going to resemble a cross between a Vanguard Overboost from AC:FA and a METEOR from SEED.

- - - Updated - - -

I finalized some of the components for Gundam Harbinger, which has been updated in the original post. Please let me know what you think! So far everything except the GN Sword III, GN Sword II Blaster, and Blue Destiny 2 torso can be done in RG. I have no clue how well all of that would actually fit together, so it all might be downgraded to HG.

Dlinker
September 26, 2014, 10:47 AM
Looks good so far. For the shoulders, maybe just go for the Freedom's? Those have thrusters on them and if the Metal Build Freedom is any indication, they can look pretty good with color separation.

Twitch
September 27, 2014, 4:43 AM
Looks good so far. For the shoulders, maybe just go for the Freedom's? Those have thrusters on them and if the Metal Build Freedom is any indication, they can look pretty good with color separation.

The Freedom's shoulders extend sideways too much for my personal liking. Secondly I do not want there to be too much of a SEED influence since I want there to be some balance.