PDA

View Full Version : Razgriz450's NEW AND IMPROVED W.I.P THREAD

razgriz450
August 29, 2014, 2:10 PM
Hey guys. Sorry about my non presence the past month or more, been swamped with work and hadn't been inspired to continue building. Started back up a bit ago an progress is phenomenal right now. All nubs are gone and the painting process has begun. Really happy with it thus far.

I tried to panel line a piece just to make sure I knew how to do it and I encountered a problem. I noticed that after the lining wen I try to wipe of the excess with a cotton bud it leaves a lot of smudging and sometimes takes off too much or too little. The result looks like this.

Sort of at a loss now. Decided to set it down for a bit so as not to mess it up even more. Any suggestions on what to do or if there is a different approach?

thwalker13
August 29, 2014, 2:14 PM
I normally just use my thumb to wipe off access lining. If you're using a Gundam Marker that is.

razgriz450
August 29, 2014, 2:17 PM
I neglected to mention that the pieces has two coats of tamiya Matt white and one of model master gloss topcoat.

Zaku
August 29, 2014, 2:37 PM
Welcome back man. And this is just a guess but maybe another coat of gloss would make it easier to clean up.

razgriz450
August 29, 2014, 2:49 PM
Welcome back man. And this is just a guess but maybe another coat of gloss would make it easier to clean up.

Do you mean apply a coat of gloss and wipe off? Or apply another before panel lining?

thwalker13
August 29, 2014, 3:33 PM
He means applying another coat of gloss before panel lining. And what are you using for your lining?

razgriz450
August 29, 2014, 6:34 PM
He means applying another coat of gloss before panel lining. And what are you using for your lining?

Extra thin gundam marker. Not too happy with it so far. My hand is pretty shaky so i get a lot of unwanted paint. Currently been working on this piece and it's been giving me such a hard time. Considering spraying again and starting over but even then I wouldn't know how to deal with it. There's a bunch of corners my swabs and thumb can't reach into.

Dlinker
August 29, 2014, 7:08 PM
Looks like you're working on the Turn A and I had the same experience with it. From that last pic, it looks okay. What kind of swabs are you using? Those precision tip ones usually work well for tight corners.

Another option you can try out is an enamel wash, which is easier to work with overall.

thwalker13
August 30, 2014, 10:16 AM
^That was going to be my next suggestion. You could make your own or use the Panel Lining Accent from Tamiya.

razgriz450
August 30, 2014, 11:38 AM
Hmm. I think I'm gonna try that out then.

Is it possible or smart to put some coats of white over the pieces I messed up and sorta start over? Or will I fuck it up even more?

Dlinker
August 30, 2014, 1:36 PM
Theoretically, it should be okay since you're just painting on top of a gloss coat and some black paint, assuming you're using spray cans. However, it might be best to just strip those parts completely to avoid any further complications.

razgriz450
August 30, 2014, 1:51 PM
How would I do that exactly?

Dlinker
August 30, 2014, 10:31 PM
Get some 90% ISO alcohol and submerge those parts for a few hours. Anything left over should be weak enough to get taken off with a toothbrush under running water.

Baufrin
September 1, 2014, 9:48 PM
another option would be a copic pen the multiliners (0.03) have been working pretty well for me. I use the warm Gray for white and light colors and the black on Dark colors. Jo-Ann's online sells them for a reasonable price.
http://www.joann.com/copic-multiliner-pen-warm-gray-0.03-mm/13393459.html
http://www.joann.com/copic-03-multiliner-sp-color-marker-1pk-black/2368330.html

I have tried them on bare plastic and they work really well. the black is refillable.

razgriz450
September 1, 2014, 11:57 PM
Thanks, will keep that in mind. I'm gonna use the panel wash with this model since I've already bought most of the supplies.

razgriz450
September 3, 2014, 4:48 PM
So progress is coming along. Panel washing is great, I'm really satisfied. Only problem I've come to is that some spots requiring panel lines are not deep enough to avoid the qtip such as 9122

Ive kinda tried different viscousities (is that a word?) but none have really looked good. Bought some masking tape today but I've never really used it and I don't know if it will help.

Dlinker
September 3, 2014, 5:04 PM
Are you referring to that corner in that piece in your pic?

razgriz450
September 3, 2014, 5:07 PM
The part that raises above the rest of the piece kinda looks like a cliff. It needs a line around the whole thing.

Update: wow. Thinking maybe that part doesn't need lining??? Not sure.

Dlinker
September 3, 2014, 7:54 PM
Hmmm, so it's more of a corner or border area that you need to panel line. What have you tried so far? I was thinking maybe try applying the wash so that it sticks to the corners/borders, and then when cleaning everything you wipe towards the border/corner some of it gathers there while being removed from the open areas. Not sure if that made sense.

razgriz450
September 5, 2014, 12:23 AM
I want to preface this with saying how much I appreciate all the help I've been getting with my incessant questions, I promise when I get the basics down you will see a lot from me. That being said, I tried soaking a bunch of pieces in 91 percent alcohol to get the panel wash off but it didn't come out. I figured I would just run with it and try an do the best I can. However, because they soaked should I spray them again before continuing? I figure the paint came off in the alcohol but I'm not really sure.

Dlinker
September 5, 2014, 1:17 AM
Do you feel a texture on that piece you soaked? If so, then yeah, there's still some paint and you may just have to wet-sand it off. Strange that the panel line wash didn't come off, though, assuming you soaked them in for several hours.

razgriz450
September 5, 2014, 1:18 AM
Would it be harmful to let them soak overnight?

jayhat100
September 5, 2014, 12:34 PM
You can try purple power, it sold at Wal-Mart, just soak for about 20 mins or so

razgriz450
September 10, 2014, 12:21 AM
Man this thing is so annoying to panel line. There are a bunch of really shallow crevasses that aren't safe from the cotton swab with lighter fluid. I've been painting and wiping and painting but I can't get it to look good without wiping too much away and having to put more on. It's so frustrating. I feel like giving up in the turn a in favor of a different model that's easier to panel line.

Zaku
September 10, 2014, 1:17 AM
I know that feeling man. Maybe try a slightly dryer swab? Or go over it at a different angle. I know that seems silly but sometimes it makes all the difference.

Dlinker
September 10, 2014, 11:36 AM
Or those precision-tip swabs, if they're not already being used. I should look at my Turn A again; I don't remember encountering a similar issue when I was panel-lining mine and I was using acrylics.

razgriz450
September 23, 2014, 5:46 PM
Got the panel lining down pretty well now. Not nearly done yet but feeling confident that I can do it.

I recently realized that I neglected to prepared to deal with seam lines. I tested it out on a piece today with extra thin cement and sanding paper.
My question is did the sandpaper get rid of my paint?

Zaku
September 23, 2014, 6:09 PM
Good to hear about the panel lines. And seam likes are supposed to be welded before you paint. You might have to just go ahead and weld all the seams then fix the paint job. Or you could just leave it unwelded and chalk it up as a learning curb lol.

Dlinker
September 23, 2014, 7:47 PM
^ This right here. You actually can weld seams after a paint job, but it will require re-painting (or rather, spraying, since sandable paint is usually lacquer).

razgriz450
September 27, 2014, 1:29 AM
Well I think I royally effed myself. Tried to be a hero and get rid of seam lines without knowing what I was doing and now part of the turn a leg is glued, still has seam line, and missing a polycap. I decided to put down the turn a until I get better and got a new kit. I'm determined to learn this but my perfectionism is making it hard during the learning process.

Zaku
September 27, 2014, 1:39 AM
I'm determined to learn this but my perfectionism is making it hard during the learning process.
Damn i know this feel to well.
http://i61.tinypic.com/2nibrzc.jpg