PDA

View Full Version : SampleAndy's WIP... kinda sorta

SampleAndy
August 27, 2014, 10:34 PM
Dunno how much progress you guys need to see, but here's where it all starts. When I first saw the box, I knew I was in for trouble. I actually talked to Youngjun (from Gundam Planet) and made arrangements to send it back, but then they were moving and one thing led to another... So... how bad could it be? I need a challenge, right? Just like another hole in my head.

So, here's what I'm in for: (My RG Destiny is in there so you have some idea of scale... or cause he's complaining that I'm messing with this piece of... art instead of finishing his other arm)

(so can I add more images or not?) Ah! 5 files per post.

So we're talking paint and glue... or glue and paint... or maybe both. This ain't nowhere near what I'm used to.

SampleAndy
August 27, 2014, 10:36 PM
And the last 5 images:

I haven't compared this puppy with one of my PGs, but it looks... or FEELs a lot bigger. Maybe the world was bigger in the 80s. :confused:

Zaku
August 27, 2014, 11:31 PM
Mother of old kits. Hey when you decide to stomp hat thing into the floor because of all the glue and oldness take pics of that to. Lol. RG Destiny looks cool though from what i can tell.

Dlinker
August 28, 2014, 1:44 AM
While the box art looks cool, the kit itself looks like a complete pain. Little color separation, probably lots of seams to weld, and minimal articulation. It'll be interesting to see how you'll do on it, though.

thwalker13
August 28, 2014, 8:38 AM
Seven Hells, if it were me, I'd turn it into a statue. Pick a pose to put it in, and glue it that way. After it's been painted, welded, and anything else that it'll require. Good luck man!

You'll probably need it..........

SampleAndy
August 28, 2014, 9:45 PM
It does say WorkS in progress, right?

Got a couple here, and a couple more

Lessee... There's an RG Exia (with no head and a piece missing from the waist armor), an RG Destiny with no wings, some RG Zeta legs and the problematical Z-Gundam foot and leg.

These can be knocked out in no time, since I'm only waiting to take some pictures documenting the not so much difference between the normal Strike and the Strike X105E.

And a little more actual work:

SampleAndy
August 28, 2014, 9:50 PM
Some advice requested here. Should I paint the inside of the legs with a medium dark color so they don't look so obviously empty? I'm not sure, but I don't think the upper thigh makes a lot of difference since it's probably going to be behind the rear skirt. For that matter, will people even try to look inside? :(

SampleAndy
August 28, 2014, 10:04 PM
OK. Here's a foot. Sand, fill seam, prime, paint set aside. Same for other foot, except add step 1, grind evidence of crooked glue joint. :roll:

... and here, we have a knee. Basically same steps, except I want to paint the hose and joint, then mask that off and paint the rest, leaving clear space for the hose guards. Glue them in place and paint again. Advice? Do I want to fill in the back of the guards? Will it be that noticeable when finished? The thigh glues into the upper two holes, and the calf slides into the polycap trapped in the bottom. You can see the assembly in the previous post.

Similar situation with the fingers. I think they'd be more noticeable, but still...

If I do fill them, what should I use? The last time I used putty it was the crap that they gave you in the AMT Trophy Series kits back in ... cough cough, snarfle wheeze. A while ago.

Thanks for reading and for any suggestions... 'cept maybe Zaku. You don't think I can do it? Honestly, I've got my doubts, but I'mna try like hell. :D

oh yeah. Thanks for the luck wishes, too, thwalker13. I'm pretty sure I'll need it too. On the plus side, I don't think I have to worry about posing it. The damn polycaps are so tight, I'll be more likely to break something trying to move them once it's had a chance to set. :???:

thwalker13
August 29, 2014, 7:58 AM
Never said that you couldn't do it man. If you set you mind to it, you can do anything. But there is no doubt that it'll be a lot of work. It blows my mind though at just how hollow it is. I bet it echoes.

As for the fingers, wow. I would have never known they were fingers. But I use Tamiya basic putty and it works pretty well. If you have a hobby lobby near you, they should carry it.

Dlinker
August 29, 2014, 11:29 AM
I think the hose guards will be fine without getting filled in. Seems like something you'd notice only upon really close inspection. The fingers would look better filled and Tamiya Basic Putty should do the job well.

Zaku
August 29, 2014, 11:34 AM
'cept maybe Zaku.
*Clint Eastwood stare*

SampleAndy
August 29, 2014, 11:38 AM
Never said that you couldn't do it man. If you set you mind to it, you can do anything. But there is no doubt that it'll be a lot of work. It blows my mind though at just how hollow it is. I bet it echoes.

As for the fingers, wow. I would have never known they were fingers. But I use Tamiya basic putty and it works pretty well. If you have a hobby lobby near you, they should carry it.

Nah. It was a dig at Zaku's post about stomping it into the floor. ;)

Re the putty, I'm guessing you're using it to fill in seams and smooth out rough areas. Can you use it to fill in (what I'd consider) big areas like the fingers without worrying about sinking or shrinkage? For the guards, braces, whatever they are, I was thinking of cutting a piece of plate to fill them in, and then smooth out what's left.

Where do you draw the line? There's an old saying about a silk purse and a sow's ear. I'm so out of my depth here, I don't really know what end's up. That's what I like about the RG and MG; you can just build them, and with a decent amount of care, they come out looking great. Even these HGs require a ton of painting to come out right. (sigh)

Thanks for answering. :D

Squee
August 29, 2014, 11:41 AM
Fill it all in. You will know the spaces are there, even on the leg, and you're already removing seams. You might as well put your very best into it so that when its finished you have a real work of art.

SampleAndy
August 29, 2014, 1:48 PM
*Clint Eastwood stare*

yeah, yeah, yeah ;)

Fill it all in. You will know the spaces are there, even on the leg, and you're already removing seams. You might as well put your very best into it so that when its finished you have a real work of art.

Squee, I just finished reading through your WIP thread. Inspiring and depressing at the same time.
(sigh) I didn't see the emphasis until the second reading... "You will know the spaces are there..." Killer creative skills and psychology while you wait. I think I could learn to hate you. :D

AAHH!!! about the hose guards... plate and sand or just fill and sand? (since you talked me into filling them.) Pretty sure I can get the Tamiya putty locally, but what about that polyester stuff you use?