PDA

View Full Version : Travy Trav's WIP

travytrav
August 13, 2014, 4:52 AM
After a semi-successful first build I started on an MG Aile Strike this week. I some how put a pretty bad stress mark down the middle of the torso, so I decided to attempt some hand painting. It's a bit of trial and error as you can tell. The main blue torso is rough and brush marked, but after experimenting with paint consistency the rear thruster came out pretty decent. I've only painted the blue portions and the rear thruster to this point. If anyone has hand painting experience I would appreciate some advice. Do you think sanding the torso down a bit with a high number grit would create a better look, or should I just sand it all the way off and repaint?

8633 8634

I added a metallic lead color to the thruster, but the camera didn't pick it up too well.
8635 8636

thwalker13
August 13, 2014, 8:02 AM
From the look in the pictures, it doesn't look rough to me. I don't see any visible nub marks on the armor. I think you're doing a good job man.

Shponglefan
August 13, 2014, 8:29 AM
I can see a bit of graininess to the torso. You could try sanding it down the grain and then painting another layer over it.

The key with handpainting (and airbrushing for that matter) is to apply paint in very thin layers. Building up a coat with 2-4 thin layers should result in a nice, smooth finish. The trick is to resist putting on too much paint in that initial layer or two.

travytrav
August 13, 2014, 11:21 AM
I sanded it as you suggested and put down several thin coats. The results are definitely better, and probably as good as I will be able to do for now. Thanks for the much needed help.

First attempt
Sanded and Repainted

Shponglefan
August 13, 2014, 12:07 PM
Second attempt is definitely smoother. Good work!