PDA

View Full Version : MG Unicorn Banshee 02 WIP Thread

BigDaddyCruiser
August 5, 2014, 8:57 PM
Well here I go! This'll be my first WIP thread here on the forums. I've been asking questions for tips on this build to prepare and you all have been very helpful! So thank you and wish me luck to make this Banshee look goooooooood.

P.S. I'll also take any suggestions.

P.S.S. This is me getting the kit

P.S.S.S. I look dumb

jaqio
August 5, 2014, 9:30 PM
Good Luck man! It seems like the Banshee makes gunpla modelers step up their skills. So this should be another sweet addition to the board.

BigDaddyCruiser
August 5, 2014, 9:33 PM
Good Luck man! It seems like the Banshee makes gunpla modelers step up their skills. So this should be another sweet addition to the board.

I hope so! And thanks for the photo comments - they mean a lot! ^^

BigDaddyCruiser
August 5, 2014, 9:53 PM
First update! So I've reprinted the psycho frame to copper. I hated that orange but still wanted something with an orange ish tint. I also repainted the head part inca gold because they looked more yellow than gold.

Chaser90EK
August 5, 2014, 10:19 PM
Have fun, man. It was one of my favorite builds...still have to paint mine though...I'm thinking of streaking the psycho frame orange and gold to try to give it that pulsing effect.

Halzman
August 5, 2014, 10:41 PM
Good luck on the new build! Judging from the work you've already posted, this will be another Banshee model that I can drool over until I eventually build mine - and hope it comes out even somewhat awesome lol

I'm curious though, are you planning to only paint the 2 runners the way you did (with all the parts still on the runner), or is this your normal building process? I ask because I went that route as well, but I'm a noob at all this and, mostly, have no idea what I'm doing.

Assuming you're only painting the two running the way you did, how do you go about handling the nub cleanup and then the touch-ups?

I do have 1 remark/suggestion - I really do like the way the copper came out, but you mentioned you still wanted to have some orange ish. I'm wondering if a clear red, orange, or orange-red coat over the copper would yield good results. I have yet to paint any clear parts, so I have no experience in the matter, but the thought did cross my mind and wanted to get your take on it.

BigDaddyCruiser
August 5, 2014, 11:07 PM
Good luck on the new build! Judging from the work you've already posted, this will be another Banshee model that I can drool over until I eventually build mine - and hope it comes out even somewhat awesome lol

I'm curious though, are you planning to only paint the 2 runners the way you did (with all the parts still on the runner), or is this your normal building process? I ask because I went that route as well, but I'm a noob at all this and, mostly, have no idea what I'm doing.

Assuming you're only painting the two running the way you did, how do you go about handling the nub cleanup and then the touch-ups?

I do have 1 remark/suggestion - I really do like the way the copper came out, but you mentioned you still wanted to have some orange ish. I'm wondering if a clear red, orange, or orange-red coat over the copper would yield good results. I have yet to paint any clear parts, so I have no experience in the matter, but the thought did cross my mind and wanted to get your take on it.

I hope it will be one you can drool over ^^

So for this particular build I decided to paint them on the runner because these are inner frame parts and the nubs won't be visible. Otherwise I would do them individually using food picks and alligator clamps (the usual) you can google a tutorial on that if you don't know what I'm talking about. If I were to do individual pieces though I'd clean up the nubs before painting like usual (cut, shave it down, then sand it for clean up)

As for your suggestion: that sounds like a great idea! I'll either do that or dry brush on orange/yellow highlights. If I can find some clear orange I'll test it on one of the extra bits (this kit has so many O.O)

Halzman
August 6, 2014, 12:47 AM
I hope it will be one you can drool over ^^

So for this particular build I decided to paint them on the runner because these are inner frame parts and the nubs won't be visible. Otherwise I would do them individually using food picks and alligator clamps (the usual) you can google a tutorial on that if you don't know what I'm talking about. If I were to do individual pieces though I'd clean up the nubs before painting like usual (cut, shave it down, then sand it for clean up)

As for your suggestion: that sounds like a great idea! I'll either do that or dry brush on orange/yellow highlights. If I can find some clear orange I'll test it on one of the extra bits (this kit has so many O.O)

No need to hope, your outdoor action shot thread speaks for itself ;)

Ahhh ok, so not normal procedure lol I was interested because that is the way I went about it, and I had a slight glimmer of hope that I wasn't the only to do it that way, from what I've seen thus far. I tried doing it the normal way... when I got to the point that I had to paint everything, I basically said F that, too much work, and left it alone lol Time will tell if I've made the right choice.

With the suggestion, I figured since the copper paint is pretty reflective, it should have no problem lighting up a red or orange clear coat above it. The color of Banshee's psycho frame always reminded me of a ZPM from stargate atlantis. The color it gives off is like a orange copper, especially the darker portions of the prop.

thwalker13
August 6, 2014, 8:08 AM
Good luck on the Banshee man. It's an awesome suit that really brings out the best of modelers. Can't wait to see some more updates.

BigDaddyCruiser
August 6, 2014, 1:43 PM
So here's the torso unit with the copper/inca gold combo! I think it looks good! I've decided I'm going to do slight weathering on this kit but no battle damage

thwalker13
August 6, 2014, 2:37 PM
The copper looks really good. I must say though, if you hadn't of said that you used Inca Gold on the yellow parts, I would have assumed it was the standard yellow plastic.

Dlinker
August 6, 2014, 3:05 PM
That's really gold paint? It has surprising resemblance to the original plastic color.

BigDaddyCruiser
August 6, 2014, 3:14 PM
That's really gold paint? It has surprising resemblance to the original plastic color.

Yeah here's a comparison (idk why that little bit of front horn didn't get very much paint on it) but that front piece is the original and the big iron is inca gold. It looks far better in person. It shimmers more and looks gold instead of yellow.

Dlinker
August 6, 2014, 5:02 PM
Yeah, I can see the difference now, thanks for the comparison. First time I'm seeing a shade of gold like that.

BigDaddyCruiser
August 6, 2014, 5:04 PM
Yeah, I can see the difference now, thanks for the comparison. First time I'm seeing a shade of gold like that.

It's very vibrant! I love it

jaqio
August 6, 2014, 6:31 PM
The copper is a great choice! I always like to use it against gold for different tones of the hue.

BigDaddyCruiser
August 6, 2014, 7:48 PM
So the arms are put together and I started to notice that the copper was starting to sort of "tarnish" from the natural oils of my hands. I sort of expected this because I didn't use super duper ultra deluxe crafter's spray paint ultimate edition, but actually... I like it! I plan to do some silver weathering anyways so it helps the weathered look and I'll have a unique banshee ^^ haven't seen any weathered ones!

thwalker13
August 7, 2014, 8:15 AM
It always amazed me at how large the VN is on the MG Banshee. The nub marks on the nails stand out pretty bad though. Are you planning on using them in your weathering?

BigDaddyCruiser
August 7, 2014, 2:32 PM
It always amazed me at how large the VN is on the MG Banshee. The nub marks on the nails stand out pretty bad though. Are you planning on using them in your weathering?

I plan to touch them up with paint. They're pretty bad

BigDaddyCruiser
August 7, 2014, 9:56 PM
Legs are done! Loving the copper combo! I think I'll highlight the copper with some orange backlight paint so they glow!

BigDaddyCruiser
August 8, 2014, 2:15 AM
MG Banshee in assembly is finished! Time for decals and paint! This will probably be the only time he's in unicorn mode because destroy mode is just so much better (and hard to transform into!)

thwalker13
August 8, 2014, 7:45 AM
Pretty awesome looking man. Can't wait to see it all painted up.

Dlinker
August 8, 2014, 11:25 AM
The kit is still being weathered or no?

V0LTES-V01
August 8, 2014, 12:45 PM
So the arms are put together and I started to notice that the copper was starting to sort of "tarnish" from the natural oils of my hands.
Rubber gloves could definitely help you out with that problem.

MG Banshee in assembly is finished! Time for decals and paint! This will probably be the only time he's in unicorn mode because destroy mode is just so much better (and hard to transform into!)

You ain't kidding, I know exactly what you mean! I felt the same way when I worked on the Unicorn (https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5527/9778793711_3788d945a3.jpg), I told myself that there's no way I will transform this thing ever again after it's complete. Doing so will just compromise the details applied to the kit.

Oh and welcome aboard!

BigDaddyCruiser
August 8, 2014, 1:01 PM
The kit is still being weathered or no?

Yup!

Dlinker
August 8, 2014, 1:03 PM
Looking forward to that. Not often do you see a beat-up Banshee. You see some here and there that are weathered a bit, but that's it.

BigDaddyCruiser
August 8, 2014, 2:22 PM
Looking forward to that. Not often do you see a beat-up Banshee. You see some here and there that are weathered a bit, but that's it.

I won't be doing any major battle damage. Just a paint job

BigDaddyCruiser
August 8, 2014, 10:21 PM
Decals are done! I have to saw these were some of the most annoyingly small stickers I've ever had to deal with on a kit, but I like the yellow/white/black contrast a lot! Time for a silver dry brush and matte. Then he'll be all done!

BigDaddyCruiser
August 8, 2014, 10:22 PM

Halzman
August 8, 2014, 10:40 PM
That is fine work for 4 days! I'm really digging how the kit came out, so much so that I'm contemplating picking it up over the Sinanaju Stein.

I'm unclear about something - might of just missed it in the thread though - I know you had already painted basically all the psycho frame parts, but did you also already paint the remaining parts?

BigDaddyCruiser
August 8, 2014, 10:43 PM
That is fine work for 4 days! I'm really digging how the kit came out, so much so that I'm contemplating picking it up over the Sinanaju Stein.

I'm unclear about something - might of just missed it in the thread though - I know you had already painted basically all the psycho frame parts, but did you also already paint the remaining parts?

No I only painted the psycho frame. I was contemplating painting the dark blue parts black but when I got the kit, the blue parts were far darker than I thought they'd be. So I decided to keep them blue.

EDIT: Also I'm just a week away from going back to uni so I got nothing else to do but build Gunpla :P

Halzman
August 8, 2014, 10:54 PM
Ah ok, so the dark blue your talking about is the major color of the exterior armor pieces? I'm not as familiar with this kit as everyone else is lol

I assumed you had finished painting because of the decals and reasoned that either a) you already painted the kit - or - b) you have a magical secret method of painting the kit with the decals on, which would be baller.

Are there any other parts you plan to paint, or are you just gonna stick with the silver drybrushing and whatnot?

BigDaddyCruiser
August 8, 2014, 11:02 PM
Ah ok, so the dark blue your talking about is the major color of the exterior armor pieces? I'm not as familiar with this kit as everyone else is lol

I assumed you had finished painting because of the decals and reasoned that either a) you already painted the kit - or - b) you have a magical secret method of painting the kit with the decals on, which would be baller.

Are there any other parts you plan to paint, or are you just gonna stick with the silver drybrushing and whatnot?

Man I wish I had that ballin' technique lol but yeah it's hard to capture with a camera but the majority of the kit is dark dark blue but the backpack and parts of the feet are black.

I'm just doing a silver dry bush (maybe a bit of black over the silver for a sort of oil stain effect), shading with Tamiya weathering, and maybe dry brushing on black light orange either on the armor pieces that would be lit up by psycho mode or the psycho parts themselves (I'm still on the fence about that)

BigDaddyCruiser
August 8, 2014, 11:23 PM
Ah ok, so the dark blue your talking about is the major color of the exterior armor pieces?

I was able to get a better pic comparing the colors

BigDaddyCruiser
August 9, 2014, 8:50 PM
He's done! So I dry brushed on fluorescent orange to try to get some glow out but the paint job is pretty spotty (guess I learn from my mistakes!) but I really like the dirty and rough feel he has. Hope you guys do too!

BigDaddyCruiser
August 9, 2014, 8:51 PM

BigDaddyCruiser
August 9, 2014, 9:35 PM
Here's the kit under the black light (warning the paint job is pretty messy.) I have to say this was one of the most annoying kits to put together lol but it has one of the best designs I've seen. Also the pose ability is pretty piss poor lol

Dlinker
August 10, 2014, 12:52 AM
That's a cool effect when under a black light. The paint application does look a bit rough on the psyco frame parts, but I don't think it's that noticeable unless you're looking at up-close (or hunting for flaws). And yeah, articulation on that kit is not there. I've seen experienced modelers plan on adding more articulation and just dreading the whole idea.

Halzman
August 10, 2014, 1:17 AM
Man I wish I had that ballin' technique lol but yeah it's hard to capture with a camera but the majority of the kit is dark dark blue but the backpack and parts of the feet are black.

I'm just doing a silver dry bush (maybe a bit of black over the silver for a sort of oil stain effect), shading with Tamiya weathering, and maybe dry brushing on black light orange either on the armor pieces that would be lit up by psycho mode or the psycho parts themselves (I'm still on the fence about that)

I'm assuming its very similiar, if not the same, dark blue found on the sinanju stein kit. Thanks for the clarification photo though lol

I've also been using the silver dry brush method as well, although for now just on the inner frame.

I like the way your kit came out man! It looked like someone just woke banshee up from a long slumber, and now its pissed! It also looks like it's seen its fair share of combat. The dark blue/black/copper/silver mix is quite the joygasm to my eyes lol

Also you gave me a great idea - I forgot that blacklights and IR paint exist!

BigDaddyCruiser
August 10, 2014, 2:03 AM
That's a cool effect when under a black light. The paint application does look a bit rough on the psyco frame parts, but I don't think it's that noticeable unless you're looking at up-close (or hunting for flaws). And yeah, articulation on that kit is not there. I've seen experienced modelers plan on adding more articulation and just dreading the whole idea.

Yeah I might just put him on an action base because he has like no ground pose potential at all!

BigDaddyCruiser
August 10, 2014, 2:06 AM
I like the way your kit came out man! It looked like someone just woke banshee up from a long slumber, and now its pissed! It also looks like it's seen its fair share of combat. The dark blue/black/copper/silver mix is quite the joygasm to my eyes lol

Also you gave me a great idea - I forgot that blacklights and IR paint exist!

Thanks! I'm glad I'm not the only one digging my weathered color scheme I got going!

Just a tip on IR paint: it's pretty thin (at least the acrylic is) so if you want to actually get color out of it when it's not under the black light then it'll take more paint than usual. Otherwise if you're just looking for it to glow under black light then paint it on knowing it'll be virtually unseen without the black light (at leasts that's what I've learned!)

Halzman
August 10, 2014, 2:34 AM
Thanks! I'm glad I'm not the only one digging my weathered color scheme I got going!

Just a tip on IR paint: it's pretty thin (at least the acrylic is) so if you want to actually get color out of it when it's not under the black light then it'll take more paint than usual. Otherwise if you're just looking for it to glow under black light then paint it on knowing it'll be virtually unseen without the black light (at leasts that's what I've learned!)

Sweet, thanks for the tip!

I plan on using it for a trans-am effect. Very thin lines of light appear across the gundam, very similar to the banshee and unicorn in destroy mode. I figure I can achieve most of the effect with an led light setup, but with this I can add the extra bit of depth. I also didn't realize how much of an effect a black light has to the effects part (I see you mister deathscythe hell lol) so double awesomeness.

haha and as long as you dig the look, thats all that matters! I'm actually looking forward to you including it in your next photo shoot with your models.

BigDaddyCruiser
August 10, 2014, 2:36 AM
Sweet, thanks for the tip!

I plan on using it for a trans-am effect. Very thin lines of light appear across the gundam, very similar to the banshee and unicorn in destroy mode. I figure I can achieve most of the effect with an led light setup, but with this I can add the extra bit of depth. I also didn't realize how much of an effect a black light has to the effects part (I see you mister deathscythe hell lol) so double awesomeness.

haha and as long as you dig the look, thats all that matters! I'm actually looking forward to you including it in your next photo shoot with your models.

Awesome I can't wait to see it! Make sure to use a tiny brush ^^ and I'm looking forward to it too. Gotta think up some cool scenarios first!

Chaser90EK
August 11, 2014, 8:01 AM
Also the pose ability is pretty piss poor lol

Really? Mine is great for stability and posing... I didn't paint it yet though >.>

thwalker13
August 11, 2014, 8:40 AM
Yours is also in Unicorn mode. I've hard that in Unicorn mode they are fairly stable, but once they are in Destroy Mode, all that goes right out the window.

@ BigDaddyCruiser: The Banshee looks great man, I think the subtle bit of weathering went a long way and looks really good.

BigDaddyCruiser
August 11, 2014, 4:27 PM
The Banshee looks great man, I think the subtle bit of weathering went a long way and looks really good.

Thanks! I'm glad the weathering came out good.

BigDaddyCruiser
August 11, 2014, 4:32 PM
Really? Mine is great for stability and posing... I didn't paint it yet though >.>

Lol I wish I saw that pose in the show! But yeah I should've mentioned why the pose ability is bad in destroy mode. When in destroy mode the whole kit get pretty flimsy especially in the arms and legs. The collar in the torso makes turning the head virtually impossible. The shoulder pieces pop off when you raise the arms too far and there's a latch in the back of the torso that you need to undo and raise up to transform the kit. It causes the torso to become very loose and basically makes the torso stationary. Also the bit on the skirt armor becomes loose as well when you have to lift this latch, spread the ball joints, and push the latch down, then the legs pretty much can't do that splits lol

Chaser90EK
August 12, 2014, 10:39 AM
Mine in destroyer mode is equally flexible...I'd post picks but my Banshee is currently lodged in between my MG Exia and Wing Zero Custom which fall over when I think about (Damnit...). When one falls and I can squeeze it out I'll strike a crazy pose. I also added the DE to the back which helped with overall stability especially when posing the claw forward.

BigDaddyCruiser
August 12, 2014, 1:06 PM
Mine in destroyer mode is equally flexible...I'd post picks but my Banshee is currently lodged in between my MG Exia and Wing Zero Custom which fall over when I think about (Damnit...). When one falls and I can squeeze it out I strike a crazy pose. I also added the DE to the back which helped with overall stability especially when posing the claw forward.

Huh could just be my kit. My joints are really stiff even the ones without paint or anything on them

BigDaddyCruiser
August 14, 2014, 5:17 PM

Action base!

jaqio
August 17, 2014, 3:54 PM
I never saw the Banshee with weathered effects before! It's some damned good work you did here.