PDA

View Full Version : Cleverfrog's Build(s) Thread

Cleverfrog
July 24, 2014, 11:01 AM
I am new here, but not new to gundam models. Growing up I built several HG models and collected gundam action figures. Now that I am older I wanted to try the master grade kits and really try to put some detailing into them. The first kit I am attempting is Hi-Nu Gundam. I picked up a set of gundam paint markers, but I would really like to airbrush and learn some good techniques for weathering and accenting. I open for tips, tricks, suggestions or any feedback as I progress.

Here's the model and some feet that came with it :p

Chaser90EK
July 24, 2014, 11:29 AM
My case is the same with regards to the building history. Have fun man, MGs a so much nicer and cleaner than HGs. I'm just waiting to get my hobby area back so I can try painting and other crazy mods

Cleverfrog
July 24, 2014, 11:35 AM
My case is the with regards to the building history. Have fun man, MGs a so much nicer and cleaner than HGs. I'm just waiting to get my hobby area back so I can try painting and other crazy mods

I agree! I spent almost 5 hours last night assembling the upper torso, head and arms with a little paint on parts. Everything is so much more detailed and intricate. I didn't take any pictures of anything though. I was unaware that there were forums dedicated to gundam models. I am on several car forums and motorsports forums and they've helped a lot so I figured I would do some searching.

thwalker13
July 24, 2014, 11:43 AM
Glad that you decided to join the forum. You picked a great kit to start with. The MG Hi-Nu is a great kit and I have heard a lot of really good things about it. You should take some pictures of your progress, I know we all would like to them.

You should look into the new MG Hi-Nu Ver Ka that is going be released here soon. Would be awesome compare the two.

Cleverfrog
July 24, 2014, 11:49 AM
Glad that you decided to join the forum. You picked a great kit to start with. The MG Hi-Nu is a great kit and I have heard a lot of really good things about it. You should take some pictures of your progress, I know we all would like to them.

You should look into the new MG Hi-Nu Ver Ka that is going be released here soon. Would be awesome compare the two.

Thanks Thwalker! I saw that kit on gundamplanet. I like the redesign on the funnel carriers on the back. I believe my fiance is going to get me an MG Epyon in a couple weeks. I'd love to do a custom paint job on the Ka of Hi-Nu. I was thinking red for the blue and black for the white. I'll take some pictures when I get home tonight and post them up. I know all to well for forums, pics or lies lol.

thwalker13
July 24, 2014, 11:52 AM
Haha, exactly, Pics or it didn't happen.

I'll say that the MG Epyon is an awesome kit. It was one of the 1st kits that I snapped together when I got back into the hobby. It's a bit back heavy due to the wings, but it can be worked around with an action base.

Cleverfrog
July 24, 2014, 11:58 AM
Haha, exactly, Pics or it didn't happen.

I'll say that the MG Epyon is an awesome kit. It was one of the 1st kits that I snapped together when I got back into the hobby. It's a bit back heavy due to the wings, but it can be worked around with an action base.

I read that about it. I think the next kit I actually buy myself will be either the Geara Doga or a Sazabi. I could be persuaded to pick another though.

Dlinker
July 24, 2014, 2:10 PM
Both kits are great so you can't go wrong with either one. They'll keep you busy for a while too, especially the Sazabi.

Cleverfrog
July 25, 2014, 9:09 AM
I think I'll be busy for a while with Hi-Nu as well. The more I search here the more I want to buy an airbrush kit and go crazy.

- - - Updated - - -

Only got to work on it for a little bit last night. Made my first oops mistake though. Maybe I was too tired to piece it together. I trimmed a nub that retains a joint from moving too far and now if I move it to far it falls out. Lived, learned, won't be doing that again. Critique me

V0LTES-V01
July 25, 2014, 9:50 AM
Welcome!

The WIP is looking good. It's quite a blast building ain't it?

Oh yeah, have you pick any sandpapers to smooth out the nub marks?

Cleverfrog
July 25, 2014, 10:08 AM
Welcome!

The WIP is looking good. It's quite a blast building ain't it?

Oh yeah, have you pick any sandpapers to smooth out the nub marks?

I've been sanding some of them, but you can really tell in the pictures where the nubs are that I missed. Especially on the feet. I think I was way too tired last night. I may pull those pieces if possible and file them down more.

- - - Updated - - -

AHHHHHHHH you mean "nail files" aka sanding sticks. I didn't even think to try that. I was just using some 600 grit paper.

V0LTES-V01
July 25, 2014, 10:28 AM
I've been sanding some of them, but you can really tell in the pictures where the nubs are that I missed. Especially on the feet. I think I was way too tired last night. I may pull those pieces if possible and file them down more.

- - - Updated - - -

AHHHHHHHH you mean "nail files" aka sanding sticks. I didn't even think to try that. I was just using some 600 grit paper.
nail files are awesome when it comes to smoothing out nub marks. I highly recommend using it. I cut the nail file to slim strip pieces to get the most out of it. And plus it's much easier to use when it's sized down.

Cleverfrog
July 25, 2014, 1:59 PM
nail files are awesome when it comes to smoothing out nub marks. I highly recommend using it. I cut the nail file to slim strip pieces to get the most out of it. And plus it's much easier to use when it's sized down.

Notes taken :grin: thank you! I nabbed up a cheap starter airbrush and moisture trap from my large air compressor in the garage. I like how easy the markers are to use but they do leave behind streaks. Perhaps a 2nd coat with them would help. An airbrush would be nicer overall and opens up weathering and other accenting.

- - - Updated - - -

What do you guys recommend for paint brand? I see Mr Color and testors mentioned a bit.

Dlinker
July 25, 2014, 3:48 PM
Depends on what you're comfy working with. Do you want to work with mostly odorless paints or solvents? If the former, then go with acrylics like Vallejo, Model Masters Acryl, Tamiya Acrylic, and even Citadel which are the easiest to work with and are usually reliable and consistent. If the latter, go for Testor's, Tamiya (spray cans), Mr. Color, and Gaia Color.

Cleverfrog
July 25, 2014, 4:08 PM
Depends on what you're comfy working with. Do you want to work with mostly odorless paints or solvents? If the former, then go with acrylics like Vallejo, Model Masters Acryl, Tamiya Acrylic, and even Citadel which are the easiest to work with and are usually reliable and consistent. If the latter, go for Testor's, Tamiya (spray cans), Mr. Color, and Gaia Color.

I've only ever used testors and tamiya for car and jet kits, but that was mainly brushing. I'm open to new things haha. I'd prefer something consistent.

Setsunason54
July 25, 2014, 4:43 PM
Hey welcome!! I'm loving the progress you've already made on your kit. I just finished my Duel gundam few days back and the MGs are fun to build. I've had frustrations with it but overall it's a high detailed kit.

I've just started to use an airbrush and it's by far the most fun and rewarding medium to use when painting your kits and I used Testors acrylic paints on the AB. Really easy to work with as long as you get the consistency right.

Again, welcome and I look forward to your progress man. If you got any questions, feel free. Everyone here is helpful. Especially Dlinker and Thwalker. They are like my personal coaches to me although they don't know that lol.

Cleverfrog
July 25, 2014, 4:56 PM
Hey welcome!! I'm loving the progress you've already made on your kit. I just finished my Duel gundam few days back and the MGs are fun to build. I've had frustrations with it but overall it's a high detailed kit.

I've just started to use an airbrush and it's by far the most fun and rewarding medium to use when painting your kits and I used Testors acrylic paints on the AB. Really easy to work with as long as you get the consistency right.

Again, welcome and I look forward to your progress man. If you got any questions, feel free. Everyone here is helpful. Especially Dlinker and Thwalker. They are like my personal coaches to me although they don't know that lol.

Thanks! :grin: I've learned quite a bit just from reading and from the few people that have posted. I think as far as paints I'm going to go check out my local (sort of) hobby store and pick and chose a few different brands that have been suggested. Everyone's figures on here are so detailed and make me feel like a 5 year old with his first kit. Steep learning curve to make the masterpieces like those :)

Setsunason54
July 26, 2014, 6:38 AM
I learn new things while talking with everyone here that's what makes it so awesome.

Cleverfrog
July 28, 2014, 10:48 AM
Well, I pieced it all together after some long late nights this past weekend. I still haven't added the decals or really painted it how I want. I get my airbrush thursday. Overall a pretty cool build. A couple things bothered me though. Some of the joints aren't stiff enough to pose and hold with the weapons and some of the parts don't fit tight or line up perfect. I wonder if the Ka version fixed these issues. Really fun and challenging build. No pictures until tonight though.

Dlinker
July 28, 2014, 11:17 AM
Brushing on gloss coat on loose joints is a great way to stiffen them up so that's something you can check out later on. Curious to see which parts don't fit tight or line up, though. When I built mine, the only problems I had were the shoulder joints that were a tad loose.

Cleverfrog
July 28, 2014, 1:23 PM
Brushing on gloss coat on loose joints is a great way to stiffen them up so that's something you can check out later on. Curious to see which parts don't fit tight or line up, though. When I built mine, the only problems I had were the shoulder joints that were a tad loose.

Mainly it was the elbows that weren't tight. I've got some clear so I'll try that. The only other part that wasn't great was one of the front lower leg guards. Other than that it was great. Maybe I'm just a noob still lol

- - - Updated - - -

Well here it is. Like I said, there's not a definite paint scheme yet but just some base coats with gundam markers until I get my airbrush. There's a couple pieces I haven't put on yet since there's no paint on them and no real panel lining either.

V0LTES-V01
July 28, 2014, 2:53 PM
It's looking good! So what colors do you plan to apply when you get the airbrush?

Cleverfrog
July 28, 2014, 3:08 PM
It's looking good! So what colors do you plan to apply when you get the airbrush?

Hmmm, well I've been think about black and red, but I think for this one I may just do the blue and white until I get the hang of it. I would also like a hunter green and a mint green or seafoam green combo.

V0LTES-V01
July 28, 2014, 5:45 PM
Hmmm, well I've been think about black and red, but I think for this one I may just do the blue and white until I get the hang of it. I would also like a hunter green and a mint green or seafoam green combo.
The black and red combo sounds good, the beast would really look aggressive. Throw in a touch of grey as well to the combo for a relative variety.

If you want to practice with the airbrush, you can just do it on plastic spoons. No need to airbrush the kit right away if you are not familiar yet with the tool. You can make all the mistakes you want on the plastic spoons :D.

Cleverfrog
July 28, 2014, 8:29 PM
The black and red combo sounds good, the beast would really look aggressive. Throw in a touch of grey as well to the combo for a relative variety.

If you want to practice with the airbrush, you can just do it on plastic spoons. No need to airbrush the kit right away if you are not familiar yet with the tool. You can make all the mistakes you want on the plastic spoons :D.

Thanks for the tips :o

- - - Updated - - -

I was thinking something like this for the colors.

V0LTES-V01
July 28, 2014, 10:49 PM
That scheme on the shield looks very cool. Maybe you can even add that kind of pattern scheme to the funnels? Now that would be awesome.

Setsunason54
July 29, 2014, 8:11 AM
I agree with Voltes. That color scheme does look cool.

Cleverfrog
July 31, 2014, 11:08 AM
That scheme on the shield looks very cool. Maybe you can even add that kind of pattern scheme to the funnels? Now that would be awesome.

I agree with Voltes. That color scheme does look cool.

Thanks guys, I had to do the test with those to see what it would look like with brushes. Now I wait for my airbrush :grin:

- - - Updated - - -

Got my airbrush yesterday :) not an expensive one since I'm new to airbrushing. Planning on practicing on plastic spoons since it's recommended for a beginner. Thanks for the tips everyone!

thwalker13
July 31, 2014, 11:12 AM
Congrats on the airbrush man. It opens up so many doors once you get the hang of it.

Dlinker
July 31, 2014, 1:09 PM
Which Master AB is that one? You're going to enjoy using it. People say that Master ABs aren't worth the money, but I disagree. They work well enough for what you need and they last provided you don't do crazy experimentation with them. Be careful with the nozzle. It's such a tiny thing.

Cleverfrog
July 31, 2014, 1:26 PM
Which Master AB is that one? You're going to enjoy using it. People say that Master ABs aren't worth the money, but I disagree. They work well enough for what you need and they last provided you don't do crazy experimentation with them. Be careful with the nozzle. It's such a tiny thing.

It's the g233. Came with .03, .05 and .02 needles and such and a quick release fitting. Most of what I read in the negative reviews were brand loyalists and people that didn't clean them.

Edit: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B002KJDXHQ/ref=pe_385040_30332200_TE_item_image
That one

Dlinker
July 31, 2014, 3:06 PM
Ah, okay. I was thinking of getting that one when I first considered moving to airbrushing, but I opted for a G44 instead. I still have a pair of them sitting around as emergency ABs.

Cleverfrog
July 31, 2014, 3:11 PM
Ah, okay. I was thinking of getting that one when I first considered moving to airbrushing, but I opted for a G44 instead. I still have a pair of them sitting around as emergency ABs.

OOoooo that one has an air pressure adjuster close to the tip. It's a bit more though. How do you like it? What is your main brush now?

Dlinker
July 31, 2014, 5:07 PM
Honestly, the air pressure adjuster didn't work that well on it since it involved too much guess work. I relied on the compressor's pressure regulator instead, haha.

I thought it was a great airbrush to start on. Worked well, reliable, pretty easy to clean, handled all of the experimenting I did, and all of the paint work I did. The nozzle was easy to damage, though, and the needle seal could be a whole lot better. Luckily, parts are pretty cheap and easy to come by. I'm using an Iwata HP-CS now as my main colors AB with a pair Badger Patriot 105's for clear/flat/primer and metallics. I moved to them after finding out they're even easier to clean.

If you find that you enjoy airbrushing, look into getting a second or third AB for different paint types. Makes cleaning them less of a chore.

Setsunason54
July 31, 2014, 11:02 PM
Oh I have a master AB be careful when cleaning the nozzle. It is very fragile I already broke mine before after just getting it. You can see the photos on my wip thread. But glad you jumped on the AB man! Lemme tell ya. It's an addicting experience...well at least for me.

Cleverfrog
August 1, 2014, 9:42 AM
After a little testing on some spoons I decided to paint the white shield pieces red then laid them on the main part. I think with a little bit of weathering it will turn out exactly how I wanted it :) Also, stopped at radioshack and picked up some aligator clips and used some shishkabob skewers to make my painting sticks :) The parts look more red than the pictures let on. Really don't know why they look pink :/

thwalker13
August 1, 2014, 9:46 AM
Nice man, a red/black scheme on the Hi-Nu will look awesome.

Cleverfrog
August 1, 2014, 9:52 AM
Nice man, a red/black scheme on the Hi-Nu will look awesome.

Thanks! I hope it turns out as well as I'm picturing it in my mind hahaha.

V0LTES-V01
August 1, 2014, 4:31 PM
Take advantage of them spoons, they don't give a damn LOL.

Progress is looking good, keep it up! http://www.desismileys.com/smileys/desismileys_3236.gif

amuro
August 1, 2014, 4:45 PM
may I inquire what photo you have on the screen in the back-ground
on the third picture slot - four Post before this ?

as I might want to use it for a diorama back-drop and Good Luck :D

Cleverfrog
August 4, 2014, 9:29 AM
may I inquire what photo you have on the screen in the back-ground
on the third picture slot - four Post before this ?

as I might want to use it for a diorama back-drop and Good Luck :D

It's actually a scene from Top Gear UK. I happened to be watching or rather listening to it will taking pictures.

- - - Updated - - -

Well I've got my base colors applied now. Perhaps I should accent :)

Dlinker
August 4, 2014, 11:07 AM
I think some accents would enhance your paint job really well. Perhaps a lighter color like off-white or a light grey?

Cleverfrog
August 4, 2014, 11:17 AM
I think some accents would enhance your paint job really well. Perhaps a lighter color like off-white or a light grey?

I'm just not too sure where I want to accent yet.

- - - Updated - - -

Some more pictures

thwalker13
August 4, 2014, 11:35 AM
I think that Dlinker is right, some accents with various greys or even some metallics would really bring out the color scheme.

Hi-Nu Dark Matter!

Cleverfrog
August 8, 2014, 12:55 PM
I think that Dlinker is right, some accents with various greys or even some metallics would really bring out the color scheme.

Hi-Nu Dark Matter!

Urban Camo :p Perhaps I'll add some of my own light grey lines around some parts and switch the dark grey parts to the light grey. I'll have to mix the paint tonight :) I need to get some of the stainless cups to mix in.

- - - Updated - - -

Well, I haven't painted anymore lately. I've been working on my other WIP. For those of you that appreciate the building of a race car, that's what I'm doing. It's been sitting for almost a full year without starting or moving. Last night a buddy and I got her to turn over and run :) Extremely motivating considering how much time I've poured into this project. Still not done and won't be for some time.

Hopefully in the next week or so I'll get the courage to add the 3rd color to Mr. Hi-Nu gundam to give it that urban camo look. I'll probably tape off some lines for some sort of design. Then, it's panel lining and adding the dusty look.

http://vid1211.photobucket.com/albums/cc427/Coinshark/Firststart_zpsec455701.mp4<--- car starting video: edit, that wasn't my car... Mine is yellow lol and I'm not a fan of slamming :/

Cleverfrog
January 30, 2018, 1:09 PM
Well after about 4 years. I am BACK! I just ordered a GP03 MG. Whilest I wait for it to get here I will continue work on the HI-Nu urban camo paint. I've been watching the 1979 MS Gundam and Stardust Memory for more inspiration. Must say that I am addicted again. :)

gundammonkey
January 30, 2018, 3:21 PM
I'm sorry do we know you? you sound familiar like we should know who you are but just not feeling it. :) Welcome back to the addiction, and the money pit we lovingly call Gunpla. Looking forward to your HI-NU. (still F**k you photo bucket!)

Cleverfrog
February 5, 2018, 1:41 PM
Yay :D

- - - Updated - - -

I forgot how tiny the pilots are. Ensign Kou Uraki reporting for duty.

Cleverfrog
February 13, 2018, 10:10 AM
I bought a spray booth on amazon as well as a airbrush compressor so I don't have to go out in the garage to paint and listen to my large compressor anymore. Best things I've bought in a while. Progress is coming this week. :D

- - - Updated - - -

Oh yes. At first I was just going to snip and assemble then, I came back here and you all inspired me. The blue I decided to go with a more grey blue. To me it says gundanium alloy more. I have a couple panel lining markers on the way to help highlight. It's possible that I may try slight weathering. Practice makes perfect I guess. The torso next to the fighter shows the difference in the blues. So far so good.

Cleverfrog
February 26, 2018, 1:04 PM
I keep trying different approaches to painting. Some parts have turned out better hand brushed than others and same with airbrushing. Just need practice. Liking it so far though.

- - - Updated - - -

So I have a Char Zaku II on the way. Version 2. :) So much excite!

Still plugging away on GP03 though. Little here little there. It's a learning experience for certain.

gundammonkey
February 26, 2018, 1:57 PM
But you are doing the GP03 justice from what I have seen so far. So good to go on that front. :0

Cleverfrog
February 26, 2018, 2:28 PM
Thanks monkey! Means a lot coming from you.

I did get some mr. color paints to try out on char's zaku. I've always wanted to try something other than testors. I should try vallejo as well.

gundammonkey
February 26, 2018, 2:40 PM
I reall like the new Vallejo Air line. But I REALLY like the Mission Models line of paint. Mission Models are relatively new to the modeling world (maybe a year or 2) but their paint is just so nice, once you get the feeling for it. It took me a few tries to get it just right, but once you do man it is really good paint. Vallejo is nice, but you can't sand it. It will come off sort of like latex, Mission Models don't have that problem. And you can mix them with all kinds of other brands as well and they are super forgiving. Check them out, there are a ton of You Tube reviews about them. I still use Vallejo, but mission blows them out of the water.

Cleverfrog
February 28, 2018, 11:04 AM
So much work still. I am finding that the larger pieces that have more flats are more difficult to paint. I think I have painted 2 or 3 times over and haven't been happy yet. Progress is progress though. Learning at each curve.

gundammonkey
February 28, 2018, 4:14 PM
What’s wrong when you paint the flat parts? Is the paint not laying well or something?

Cleverfrog
February 28, 2018, 4:56 PM
What’s wrong when you paint the flat parts? Is the paint not laying well or something?

I think most of the problems were bubbles when brushing (probably mixture) and spattering (which I think is from having a cheaper airbrush or the wrong mix ratio) when airbrushing. I have been toying around with different ratios and haven't tried touching the larger parts until I figured out a better mixture.

gundammonkey
March 1, 2018, 12:07 AM
Skim milk is about the consistency you want. I have an old piece of glass I use to check my paint before I use it when mixing my own. I put 3 drops on the glass then stand it up at about a 45/60 ish degree angle and watch to see how the paint “falls” or “rolls” down the glass. If it is to thin it will all pool in the center of the drop and just run down the glass, too thick and it stays in a solid circle and slides slowly down the glass. You want something in the middle. But it is a nice easy test before you load up the AB and possibly waist paint, but more importantly waist time.

- - - Updated - - -

I will take a few pictures of a bad test and a good test tomorrow after work so you can see what I’m trying to explain.

Cleverfrog
March 1, 2018, 10:24 AM
I have to say that I was never a big Zaku fan until recently. I finally watched Origin and really understood the design and development. Lot's of neat information from the short films. Anyways, the Char's Zaku 2 I got is really something. I snap built it last night as I am waiting for the Mr. Gundam Char paint I ordered to come in. The articulation it has in the joints and how the eye moves is nothing short of fantastic. It was actually pretty challenging to assemble with all of the intricacies. Can't wait to build more of them.

gundammonkey
March 1, 2018, 11:36 AM
Welcome to the dark side my friend..we have been waiting for you. SEIG ZEION!!!! They are really nice kits, and with all of those curves and open spaces they are a blank canvas for custom work.

Cleverfrog
March 1, 2018, 12:20 PM

gundammonkey
March 1, 2018, 1:01 PM
JOY! :p

Cleverfrog
March 8, 2018, 10:01 AM
Well I decided to start over on a few of the big items and Easy-Off works great at removing enamel without damaging the plastic :)

Cleverfrog
March 26, 2018, 9:09 AM
I got a few MR Hobby paints in and I have to say, I love brushing with them. With the Mr Leveler mixed in, they lay so flat and smooth. Just hard to get without ordering.