PDA

View Full Version : Chaser's W.I.Ps (Aka "The Wait List")

Pages : [1] 2

Chaser90EK
July 14, 2014, 6:37 PM
This thread basically the holding tank for all my projects I have a hold on until I get my hobby station set up. I'll put up a comprehensive list of what I have but in the meantime, I'm starting with my MG Banshee

It's good luck slicing your finger when you are just opening the box, right?

Got to admit the huge box is a bit intimidating (giggidy...) but I'm looking forward it since this is one of my favorite suits (black and an Irish reference).

Chaser90EK
July 16, 2014, 8:03 AM

I really need a better camera than my phone...I love the black color scheme of this suit, but it's really hard to capture all the little details I love on this suit. If this rain keeps up near Philly I will have this suit built by the weekend. (Side note: Took on water again in my basement after I thought I had all the cracks sealed.... FML -_-) I'll need to see what the finished product looks like before I make the call to paint.

thwalker13
July 16, 2014, 8:36 AM
Good progress on the Banshee. What are your thoughts on it so far? Have you tried to transform it?

Chaser90EK
July 16, 2014, 12:04 PM
Good progress on the Banshee. What are your thoughts on it so far? Have you tried to transform it?
Building the head was terrifying actually. There's a lot of loose and moving parts and I swore I ripped the yellow face guard off at one point. It comes with movable parts for transforming as well as fixed parts if you want to just keep it in one form. I'm installing all the movable parts first. I've fiddled with the chest panels which open and the horn which splits in half but other than that there isn't much to play with. Side note: I nabbed the shield booster kit for $5 on ebay.

Dlinker
July 16, 2014, 1:00 PM
That's a nice surprise, it still gives you the option to not use the transformation gimmick at all.

thwalker13
July 16, 2014, 2:47 PM
Yeah if I ever opted to get a MG Banshee, I'd leave it in Destory Mode. Or buy 2 of them.

Dlinker
July 16, 2014, 3:09 PM
^The extra parts left over for kit-bashing. Sounds like a darn good plan to me.

Chaser90EK
July 17, 2014, 10:00 PM
Just built the arms last night (forgot to take pics). I know the left becomes a badass (an absurdly large) claw, and the right has a particle cannon, but I have now idea how to engage them. I'm waiting until the end to read the manual about switching between modes but I have a feeling this is gonna be fun switching between modes.

- - - Updated - - -

Halfway there

Dlinker
July 18, 2014, 1:11 AM
I can see why people always refer to the HG version as a viable option for someone wanting a Banshee in their collection. There isn't much of a difference in terms of overall looks between the two sizes.

thwalker13
July 18, 2014, 7:49 AM
I always felt that the VN looked to over sized on the MG myself. But that's just my opinion.

The Banshee is looking great man. Very clean. Have been able to tell if the left arm is going to have any weight issues?

Chaser90EK
July 20, 2014, 2:45 PM
I don't think it will be. The shoulderis very textured and holds where you place it. As for detail I don't think my photos do it justice. I should have this build finished by tonight.

- - - Updated - - -

Holy hell this instruction guide is longer than War and Peace. Not getting finished tonight...going to bed -_-

- - - Updated - - -

Since I finally started my WIP thread and had to clean today, I thought I'd take the time to inventory and show off my WIPs. I plan to start painting these hopefully in September when I hope to refinish the basement and get my hobby area back.

First up is an HG Wing Zero Custom I inherited from a friend partially built... I hope to remove the stickers and actually paint it. I really want to paint the V fin since this model took a header off my dresser and snapped it

Next up we have an Astray and a Strike Gundam model. Can anyone tell me what grade these would be or how I would search for them? I got a 4 year old nephew who loves robots and likes building stuff so I might as well start him down the road to nerdy ruin

Here is a vintage RX-78 1/144. It was one of my first attempts at painting with paint pens. The older style was difficult to work with and for some reason the shield just magically soaked up paint in some of the areas leaving it blotchy.

Chaser90EK
July 20, 2014, 2:49 PM
HG 1/144 Heavyarms... again the paint pens didn't work out very well. Looking forward to stripping this down and trying again

Who doesn't own an HG 1/144 Wing Gundam?

My NG 1/100 Gundam F91... I like the look for a non-grade but the plastic is really brittle. This model just fell backwards and broke a beam rifle on the back. I got an MG version of this guy coming so I plan to experiment on this one.

Chaser90EK
July 20, 2014, 2:55 PM
HG 1/144 Exia... I need to at least go back and panel line this model.

NG Mobile Suit F71 (Guncannon). I got my plastic cement and need to work on the seams. I'd like to also give this a full paint job just because I love how it looks.

Chaser90EK
July 20, 2014, 3:10 PM
NG RGM 109...pretty much same case as the F71

NG Vigna Zirah is by far my favorite nongrade model. I want to make it look better with a good paint job.

HG 1/100 Altron Gundam... Special thanks to Zaku for hooking me up with a part I lost (still never found it). I want to strip off the stickers and paint it right.

Chaser90EK
July 20, 2014, 3:18 PM
MG Char's Z'Gok I inherited partially built... Just want to paint it to pay tribute to the Red Comet. I also need to fill in some divots more cleanly that were left from the previous owner. The arm and leg joints need some work as well because when not in this pose, parts will fall off it. If I can snag a 1/100 GM it's getting battle scarred and it's getting it's head ripped off by this Z'Gok

1/144 HG Wing Zero... I want to give this a custom paint job...just gotta decide what I want to do with it
80498050j

Chaser90EK
July 20, 2014, 3:25 PM
NG Infinite Justice... One of my first experiments in white paint. I lost some detail in process because it was too thick. Also the first time I sprayed it with a matte finish...some of the gundam marker panel lining bled and drove me nuts -_- Side note: Can the beam saber be any bigger?

HG 1/144 Zaku Sniper... I have some clear plastic caps I wan to use to enhance the rifle and the mono-eye. Was also thinking of making a gilly suit for camouflage.

Chaser90EK
July 20, 2014, 6:32 PM
HG 1/144 Sandrock and Sandrock Custom... two more suits that are over a decade old. 11 year old me tried to fix color the Sandrock shield in with a sharpie and highlighter. It wasn't terrible but I'd like to do it right.

Ultra
July 20, 2014, 8:14 PM
HG 1/144 Sandrock and Sandrock Custom... two more suits that are over a decade old. 11 year old me tried to fix color the Sandrock shield in with a sharpie and highlighter. It wasn't terrible but I'd like to do it right.

- - - Updated - - -

My Vintage Guncannon... I loathe this suit and it's gonna be a guinea pig...

HG 1/100 Shenlong. I painted the reds and blues with paint pens. I was still scared of the whites when I built it.

HG 1/100 Nataku... I did some light touch ups and also matte finished this suit. I tried another finish spray from the one I used on the Justice, but this one came out with an uneven coat (yes the temp was right and I sprayed it to get a steady stream before spraying the model)

- - - Updated - - -

HG 1/100 Wing Zero... Just paint pens for the blues and reds. Want to give it a nice white paint job and take care of the seams.

HG 1/144 Nadleeh... This was a quicky stress relief build so I didn't do anything special with it. I just love the unique features on this suit. Trying to figure out what I could use besides rubber to make the hair.

The ones after the 4th pic aren't working for me...

Chaser90EK
July 21, 2014, 8:48 AM
My Vintage Guncannon... I loathe this suit and it's gonna be a guinea pig...

HG 1/100 Shenlong. I painted the reds and blues with paint pens. I was still scared of the whites when I built it.

Chaser90EK
July 21, 2014, 8:57 AM
HG 1/100 Nataku... I did some light touch ups and also matte finished this suit. I tried another finish spray from the one I used on the Justice, but this one came out with an uneven coat (yes the temp was right and I sprayed it to get a steady stream before spraying the model)

HG 1/100 Wing Zero... Just paint pens for the blues and reds. Want to give it a nice white paint job and take care of the seams.

Chaser90EK
July 21, 2014, 9:00 AM
HG 1/144 Nadleeh... This was a quicky stress relief build so I didn't do anything special with it. I just love the unique features on this suit. Trying to figure out what I could use besides rubber to make the hair.

- - - Updated - - -

The ones after the 4th pic aren't working for me...

Should be fixed now...the forum was giving me some trouble with all the pic attachments...

Dlinker
July 21, 2014, 11:16 AM
That 1/100 Nataku looks great, probably the best-looking one out of all of your old Wing kits. Kinda surprised how ancient some of those look.

Chaser90EK
July 21, 2014, 12:42 PM
That 1/100 Nataku looks great, probably the best-looking one out of all of your old Wing kits. Kinda surprised how ancient some of those look.

The Nataku and a few others were built from boxes that sat in my attic for 13 years :)

Dlinker
July 21, 2014, 12:57 PM
Haha, that is indeed ancient. Reading and seeing old kits like those always makes me wonder how far they'll advance in another decade.

Chaser90EK
July 21, 2014, 1:46 PM
If we aren't fighting them in Plavsky particle arenas by then I'm gonna pissed -_-

Dlinker
July 21, 2014, 3:10 PM
I hope to the gunpla gods that there's a really quick way to cleany de-nub kits by that time. That way, if kits get trashed, it won't be a huge time sink to either repair it or create a new one, haha.

Chaser90EK
July 21, 2014, 3:54 PM
I hope to the gunpla gods that there's a really quick way to cleany de-nub kits by that time. That way, if kits get trashed, it won't be a huge time sink to either repair it or create a new one, haha.

I'm also hoping for a clear plastic paste to easily fill in seams and scratches like that polish for cars... I wanna cry when I gouge my kits with my exacto knife working on a stubborn nub :(

P.S. Since the damn pic links broke again: HG 1/100 Gundam Double X... Since it's an HG I kind of want to try a custom paint job on this. I like the concept of the Double X but the paint scheme just seams like a mishmash, especially the shield.

Dlinker
July 21, 2014, 5:05 PM
I'm with you on that clear plastic paste. It will make seam-welding less of a chore and more straightforward.

I think that's the first time seeing the back of the Double X and man, it's got some kick-ass panel lines.

Chaser90EK
July 22, 2014, 8:15 AM
Yeah it an the Nataku have some great lines that go unappreciated... The Virsago also has some great lines, but I'm still working on panel lining with grey on black to bring out the detail

Zaku
July 22, 2014, 5:48 PM
Nice collection man. Id love to see you make a Ghillie suit for that Zaku sniper. That would he awesome.

Chaser90EK
July 22, 2014, 8:42 PM
Nice collection man. Id love to see you make a Ghillie suit for that Zaku sniper. That would he awesome.

Already making the sandbags :) Gonna make a sand ghillie suit I think... I may get another zaku sniper and paint it for either urban or jungle camo

Zaku
July 22, 2014, 9:45 PM
Thats awesome. Sandbags? So your gonna make a dirama?

Chaser90EK
July 24, 2014, 10:54 AM

I'm gonna try...my problem is I have a spacial recognition disorder so trying to scale everything will be a bitch -_- I should just put it in sandbox :P

- - - Updated - - -

So I finally got to work on the Banshee again and made a lot of progress. The legs were a lot of work but really worth it. I believe I just have the backpack unit and then I'm done. Then I get to learn of to shift this thing into Destroyer Mode :)

thwalker13
July 24, 2014, 11:45 AM
How's the stability of those legs so far? Heard a lot of people say they aren't exactly that great for ground poses.

Chaser90EK
July 24, 2014, 12:06 PM
I had it standing on my very uneven bed and then in the box for these pics without issue. I was really surprised by the weight and sturdiness of the legs themselves. To me one leg actually felt heavier than the head torso and arms combined. The hip joins are very different from what I've seen before with an L-shape swing hinge connected to a ball joint so I can see if either gets loose there could be stability issues. I'll try to remember to take some up-skirt (giggidy) pics when I work on it again so you can see what I mean.

thwalker13
July 24, 2014, 12:50 PM
Hmm, well that's good that they are that sturdy. I wonder how they will be once they are in Destroy Mode.

Chaser90EK
July 24, 2014, 2:48 PM
The leg has a lot of rang of motion but it's still pretty sturdy.

Zaku
July 24, 2014, 2:59 PM
Nice banshee. The way they made the hip joints really is odd. Hopefully it holds up. And a desert diorama should be relatively easy. You could do foam then plaster then paint and done. Lol

thwalker13
July 24, 2014, 3:08 PM
They might have done the hips that way for the transformation. Who knows. Lol

Chaser90EK
July 24, 2014, 4:49 PM

So I stumbled onto some Tamiya military model sandbags...threw them together and my Zaku sniper isn't looking too shabby :)

Zaku
July 24, 2014, 4:56 PM
That looks bad ass already. And @Thwalker. That does make sense. Im not sure why they would want to make them more complicated though.

Dlinker
July 24, 2014, 4:57 PM
Yeah, those look pretty appropriate. I sure hope infantry didn't have to fill up those sandbags. They would be pretty massive when next to a scale human, haha.

Zaku
July 24, 2014, 5:00 PM
Man could you imagine having to fill up and stack all those sand bags. Even if you had a tractor. Not that i could see it being possible without one. It would still be a pain in the ass.

Chaser90EK
July 24, 2014, 5:32 PM
Yeah, those look pretty appropriate. I sure hope infantry didn't have to fill up those sandbags. They would be pretty massive when next to a scale human, haha.

Yeah I was trying to find a happy middle ground where they weren't excessively big but not full 1/144 scale where I would have been working under a microscope for days

And @Thwalker. That does make sense. Im not sure why they would want to make them more complicated though.

Answer: Who needs a NTD System...WHEN YOU CAN ROUNDHOUSE KICK BANAGHER IN THE FUCKING DOME!?!?

P.S. I think the model's stability should no longer be in question... in this mode anyway :P

Zaku
July 24, 2014, 5:41 PM
Haha RIGT IN THA FACE!!! And damn those legs are looooooooooooong

Chaser90EK
July 24, 2014, 5:45 PM
Man could you imagine having to fill up and stack all those sand bags. Even if you had a tractor. Not that i could see it being possible without one. It would still be a pain in the ass.

I went with this scale too because in theory a Zaku or other suit could fill them by hand without a tool... They look like the comparably small sandbags people down the shore use to block up around their property during light tidal flooding

Zaku
July 24, 2014, 5:52 PM
Is suppose they could yea makes sense. And man i wish i had se when Irene hit. The water was up to the window of my truck. And i was living a half hour inland at the time. A hotel got completely washed away and not a single pier survived. It really sucked.

Chaser90EK
July 24, 2014, 11:41 PM
Destroyer Mode tomorrow...by some teasers of the finished Unicorn Mode

And the shield booster kit that I how no idea what to do with >.>

Chaser90EK
July 26, 2014, 4:41 PM
And here's Destroyer Mode :)

So the conversion is a bit tricky but once you get use to it it's not terrible. This suit is HUGE compared to my other MGs...it's got a head and a half over my MG Unit 4 not even counting it's V-fin. The joints are all very sturdy even in the expanded form. I extended the beam saber on the claw just because I would totally grab someone and just run them through with it for a style points kill. This kit just desperately needs a paint job because the midnight blue and black color combo looks amazing, but really highlights any an all blemishes and stresses on the plastic. Side note: I'm confused by all the extra parts you have apart from the solid state parts. It looks like I have everything here to make the booster shield but no instructions on how to do so...

V0LTES-V01
July 26, 2014, 8:27 PM
Do you plan to paint the Banshee?

Chaser90EK
July 26, 2014, 9:25 PM
I plan too just need the space to do it right

Dlinker
July 26, 2014, 11:49 PM
Yeah, I can kinda see the imperfections on the plastic. You did a good job with the straight build, though. Doesn't look like you have to worry about the nub marks showing in any way when you paint.

Chaser90EK
July 27, 2014, 12:52 AM
BONUS POINTS!!! I figured out how to build the shield which looks ok but comparably small to the Banshee

Luckily I accidentally bought the shield booster upgrade by accident when I tried to buy this kit months ago...hooked that baby up and damn is it nice...and huge

thwalker13
July 27, 2014, 10:46 AM
That DE looks really good on the back of the Banshee. Did it come with the parts to build the Beam Magnum as well?

Chaser90EK
July 30, 2014, 10:28 PM
I'm actually not sure... trying to discern between solid state parts and extra parts is a bit tricky

- - - Updated - - -

HG 1/100 Epyon... This build was nostalgic since I built it like 17 years ago... A lot of parts need gluing but I'll have to wait until I paint it before fixing everything in place... Was also happy putting the Epyon next to the Virsago since I have a feeling it was an influence. If I get a chance down the line I wouldn't mind building an MG Epyon.

Dlinker
July 31, 2014, 1:03 AM
The similarities are striking between the two. Which design do you prefer more, the HG or the MG version?

Chaser90EK
July 31, 2014, 8:03 AM
I'll have to look into the MG version but I assume it will be more detailed and hopefully sturdier. There's a lot of awkward articulation and seam lines because the HG can convert to dragon form, but since it's an HG it's not very clean... The Epyon is at least in my top 10 favorite suits list so I wouldn't mind rebuilding it as an MG... then I could use the HG to experiment on before modifying the MG :)

thwalker13
July 31, 2014, 8:07 AM
HG Epyon looks great. I have the kit that I build many years ago, and yours looks 10x better. I will say the MG is step above the HG 1/100 kit. Everything is like you said, much more stable. But with the wings being 2x as big, it has a bit more weight issues.

Chaser90EK
August 5, 2014, 8:46 AM
HG Epyon looks great. I have the kit that I build many years ago, and yours looks 10x better. I will say the MG is step above the HG 1/100 kit. Everything is like you said, much more stable. But with the wings being 2x as big, it has a bit more weight issues.

I've notice that with most kits I've built that being back heavy isn't really an issue as long as the knee and hip joints and decent... kits that are front loaded or awkwardly weighted seem to fall over like a drunk ADPi at 2am (Greek reference)... My MG Exia fell over last night and that massive blade coupled with parts popping off had me screaming bloody hell...

- - - Updated - - -

So by popular demand (or Squee's) I began the MG ZZ Gundam. I'm not familar with this gundam (still watching Zeta) so all I have for expectations are the pic on the box. Already I'm having some issues.
I started with the head which has an unusual v-fin with two hinges behind the red cap. I assume this is part of the transformation into the G-Fortress.
The down side is that this leaves a noticeable gap between the helmet and red cap where the hinge is.
Also the hinge isn't too sturdy so I typically end up with this... If it isn't part of the transformation these fins are getting glued.

thwalker13
August 5, 2014, 9:46 AM
Jeeze, that jewel. It's huge. Though I'm not a fan of the ZZ, the kits looking really good. Don't blame you a bit for considering gluing those V-Fins in place. I about 99% sure that I would glue them.

Dlinker
August 5, 2014, 11:16 AM
Yeah, that jewel was the first thing I noticed upon seeing the pic. Then I immediately thought of an emo goth person when I saw the third pic because of the fin going down looking like their bangs, haha. That's interesting, having a V-Fin with a hinge.

Chaser90EK
August 7, 2014, 9:24 AM
So the gimmicks continue to confound me. The arms are incredibly sturdy but again blemishes taunt my OCD...

The gimmick with the arms is that the hands spin back to reveal thrusters for the G-Fortress mode. However, the parts are so tight I fell like I am going to snap something when doing the conversion.

Dlinker
August 7, 2014, 11:31 AM
Oh, nice, reminds me of the same gimmick on the 1/72 Valkyrie. I'd be wary of doing the transformation if the parts are tight.

Chaser90EK
August 7, 2014, 10:10 PM

It took me an hour to drive these 4 screws... they are impossible to line up given the position and stripped almost instantly... I hope whoever at Bandai designed this burns in the deepest recesses of hell -_- As you can see they are not fully driven and I hope that won't be an issue. My idea is file out threads in the hole and just glue the screw in. Anyone else have ideas for a work around if I need to get these screws deeper?

Chaser90EK
August 21, 2014, 7:31 AM
So I finally got some time to get back on this build... God I hate vacations... Anyway, holy hell do these legs bulky. Again they have hidden thrusters built in for the conversion.

The chest has been a pain to assemble. There's a lot of loose parts and getting everything to line up nicely was a challenge. The core is hollow which means I'm probably building a core fighter (again, I know nothing about the ZZ Gundam). I haven't had good experiences with kits with core fighters gimmicks so I'm already feeling a sense of impending dread.

thwalker13
August 21, 2014, 7:48 AM
Is it just me, or does the legs seem to be rather thin looking from the front compared to side? And I never really took note of it before, but I get a hint of the GP01 in the chest design. As well as the original Zeta.

Chaser90EK
August 21, 2014, 9:45 AM
I was pinching the legs together a bit, but the sides do flare out. I don't think I capture they scale of these legs very well with my picture. I assure you they are quite bulky all around.

Zaku
August 21, 2014, 8:38 PM
I dont like the idea of any mech turning into a bunch of little fighters but im starting to like this things look and the shear size of it.

Squee
August 21, 2014, 8:41 PM
For the stripped out screws (something that happens alot with older kits from bandai) you can pick up a bottle of threadlock. Make sure its the kind that can be used on plastic. It will fill the hole and lock that screw in. There are permanent and non permanent types, so chose whichever one you want.

Chaser90EK
August 23, 2014, 12:44 PM
Squee... I loathe you... thanks to your pick I wasted my Friday night building another God damn core fighter...

On the plus side it looks like it comes with separate parts for the core fighter when inside the Double Zeta so I don't have to worry about folding it up and cramming it in there.

thwalker13
August 23, 2014, 3:50 PM
Is that the whole core fighter? Looks, squished.

Chaser90EK
August 24, 2014, 12:13 PM
I believe so...My guess is this thing was meant for space based on the horrible aerodynamics...again I know nothing of the ZZ beyond this build...

- - - Updated - - -

So I finished the ZZ last night and I have to say I'm very disappointed. This kit has some of the worst balance I've ever seen. It's feet really lack articulation which makes it hard to stand it up. As you can see in the pics I'm using my beer glass to keep it upright (They usually have the opposite effect on me >.>). Next I was excited for the weapons loadouts for this kit, but they are so cumbersome and heavy it will be impossible for the ZZ to hold them without gluing them to it's hands and then gluing the joints. I believe I will be converting it into the G-Fortress mode just to have stability and avoid shelf dives.

- - - Updated - - -

Ok the G-Fortress mode has redeemed this kit. I've only done conversions with HG models like the Epyon and Wing Gundams, but this conversion was very smooth and looks practically seamless. When I get to painting I will definitely paint this kit for the G-Fortress mode.

thwalker13
August 24, 2014, 2:06 PM
Those beam sabers are huge! How in the hell is it supposed to hold those things?

Dlinker
August 24, 2014, 8:23 PM
Hmmm, the transformed mode does look well-thought out. Shame about the suit mode, though. Seems like it needs a lot of love to fix the issues.

Chaser90EK
August 25, 2014, 7:53 AM
Hmmm, the transformed mode does look well-thought out. Shame about the suit mode, though. Seems like it needs a lot of love to fix the issues.

Yeah the 2 big issues are the balance and the weapons. The feet have very little in the terms of flexibility so it's hard getting a good stance set. Also, the thrusters hidden in the knees limit the ability to properly pose the kit. So basically I'm trying to stand up a kit without feet or knees >.> The weapons all come with a peg which fits into a notch in the hands, but the hands themselves are too small. They can't even wrap around the beam sabers. If I were to use the weapons I'd either need to glue them into place or customize some sort of wrist clamp.

Definitely building a nice 1/144 HG model after this :P

Dlinker
August 25, 2014, 11:16 AM
It's pretty much an unstable brick then. Oh well, at least it looks cool.

And yes, do yourself a favor and work on a good HG kit next, haha.

Squee
August 25, 2014, 2:13 PM
Squee... I loathe you... thanks to your pick I wasted my Friday night building another God damn core fighter...

What pick?

I love the ZZ's beam sabers, they're the same size as the PG RX's. They're that big so that they can cut battleships!

Chaser90EK
August 25, 2014, 2:49 PM
You were the one who picked this build for me remember? And they look cool as hell but I was hoping an MG design would have the ability to hold them :(

Squee
August 25, 2014, 3:57 PM
Oooh yea lol

I kind of want to get this kit but at the same time, i'd probably grab the conversion for it as well. I think this would benefit from some military colors or some super robot red gold black white instead of the usual gundam colors. The blue and white makes is seem like a toyish design.

Chaser90EK
August 27, 2014, 8:20 AM
Agreed. I was thinking an a black/grey/red Titan-esque color scheme. Make it look a little more menacing.

- - - Updated - - -

So after the hell known as the ZZ Gundam, I took some time to relax with a the 1/144 HG 00. I forgot how quickly these kits can come together.

Dlinker
August 27, 2014, 11:07 AM
Yeah, 00 HG kits are particularly quick to build. Is that the stock 00 kit with no extra equipment/weapons?

V0LTES-V01
August 27, 2014, 11:11 AM
Nice work with the ZZ, even though you are disappointed with it. Despite it being outdated, I still think it's one of the awesome looking kits around, especially its Full Armor (http://ptolemyhs.com/butik/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/ZZ_full_1.jpg) version.

Chaser90EK
August 27, 2014, 11:40 AM
Yeah, 00 HG kits are particularly quick to build. Is that the stock 00 kit with no extra equipment/weapons?

Yeah just the normal HG, no swords or raiser.

Nice work with the ZZ, even though you are disappointed with it. Despite it being outdated, I still think it's one of the awesome looking kits around, especially its Full Armor (http://ptolemyhs.com/butik/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/ZZ_full_1.jpg) version.

I think it looks pretty menacing as well. I like the bulkier Gundams since most of them are skinny to be agile. I was just pissed that because of the legs and feet I couldn't get it to stand up without any support...

Zaku
August 27, 2014, 12:55 PM
If it could stand up no problem id consider getting one. I like how big and bulky it is.

Chaser90EK
August 28, 2014, 9:11 AM

Love this little kit just for how nicely it came together (BURN IN HELL, ZZ!). I will definitely will be looking for the 0 Raiser to bulk him up and will give it a nice paint job. Next I think I'm going to show some GSD love and build the Sword Impulse.

Dlinker
August 28, 2014, 11:30 AM
Which Sword Impulse are you going to work on? If it's the MG, you might get some ZZ vibes from it thanks to having the option of using the core fighter. The legs are a bit funky too, but it's an otherwise great kit.

Chaser90EK
August 28, 2014, 12:50 PM
Which Sword Impulse are you going to work on? If it's the MG, you might get some ZZ vibes from it thanks to having the option of using the core fighter. The legs are a bit funky too, but it's an otherwise great kit.

It's a non-grade that I've seen some cool stuff done with. It's one of my top 5 suits from when Shin fights in the naval battle with it.

Dlinker
August 28, 2014, 1:13 PM
Ah, that will be different then. I haven't checked out the old NG yet so it'll be nice to see how much different it is.

Chaser90EK
August 29, 2014, 8:16 AM

The build is coming along nicely so far... The shoulder connections have a weird sliding feature. Not sure how that is going to work based on my memory of the suit.

There is a cavity in the chest... Please God, no... not another core fighter!

thwalker13
August 29, 2014, 11:17 AM
The Impulse does have a Core Fighter. But it's called a "Core Splender"

Dlinker
August 29, 2014, 11:24 AM
Haha, that will give you some bad memories if the kit doesn't have the option to bypass the Core Splender. That was one thing I was happy for with the MG kit.

Chaser90EK
September 1, 2014, 1:48 PM

Love the color scheme on this kit. It will definitely need a paint job though because there are a lot of noticeable distortions in the plastic. I painted the front and rear sensors on the head just because the fact they were white was driving me nuts. I really like the shield on this kit as well. I always felt the shield shield on the RX-78 and the GMs were too cumbersome and large. I think the shields in Seed we a bit more realistic.

- - - Updated - - -

I painted the core splendor because I hate them so if I screw up I wouldn't care... And screw up I did! First the paint bled through the cracks to the opposite side of the kit... after cleaning that up it didn't look too terrible...until I tried to fold it up to put in the Sword Impulse. The painted sealed/corroded the joints... broke the cockpit off with minimal effort...glued it, said screw it and crammed it into the suit where I shall never see it again!

Dlinker
September 1, 2014, 3:06 PM
Core Splendors and Core Fighters seem to have a dislike towards you, haha.

Chaser90EK
September 1, 2014, 5:19 PM
The finished product looks nice

My only gripe (aside from the core splendor) is that the torse has a bit of a gap... BECAUSE OF THE CORE SPLENDOR! I'll mess around with it later to see what I want to do. I always wished this suit had some sword funnels and the backpack leaves plenty of room for modifications.

Zaku
September 1, 2014, 5:40 PM
It does look good. Nice man.

Chaser90EK
September 1, 2014, 5:45 PM
I will be building a Zeon Suit now just to ensure no core fighters -_- GOGO MG Gouf Custom!

Zaku
September 1, 2014, 5:49 PM
Glad to hear that. Lol

Chaser90EK
September 2, 2014, 7:38 AM
Nice Red vs. Blue quote btw... "Caboose, don't ever stick your dick in crazy" just took over the first place slot though :)

thwalker13
September 2, 2014, 11:57 AM
^"I have no idea what that mean." haha I love Tucker and Caboose

The Impulse looks really good man. Sucks to hear about the Splender, but at least, like you said. You won't see it.

Chaser90EK
September 2, 2014, 1:42 PM
After I dabble in dioramas I'm totally making one of Zeon forces just decimating every core fighter I have :evil:

thwalker13
September 2, 2014, 1:45 PM
Lmao, that would be an awesome diorama to see.

Zaku
September 2, 2014, 2:08 PM
Nice Red vs. Blue quote btw... "Caboose, don't ever stick your dick in crazy" just took over the first place slot though :)

Lol thanks. Rvb is awesome.

- - - Updated - - -

After I dabble in dioramas I'm totally making one of Zeon forces just decimating every core fighter I have :evil:

That sounds bad ass what did you have in mind?

Chaser90EK
September 2, 2014, 2:26 PM
That sounds bad ass what did you have in mind?

Well I wanna make my Zaku Sniper's desert diorama first just to get one under my belt. Then I'd have to decide whether to go with an open diorama and use clear runners as struts to put the core fighters in the air, or go with a box diorama and use magician's thread to suspend them, in my head it's a core fighter blown apart in a crater, a second trailing smoke (I've melted and colored plastic for his effect before), and a third getting smashed or crush in some way by a suit.

Zaku
September 2, 2014, 3:29 PM
Man that does sound pimp. I would think the open type would look better. Even at that scale you would be able to see the magicians thread. You could have the sniper step on one fighter. While he shoots on in the air.

Chaser90EK
September 3, 2014, 7:35 AM
How you you keep it open and have suspension above? Just have a runner at 90 degrees planted in the base and run over the top?

Zaku
September 3, 2014, 1:51 PM
I was thinking do the clear runners instead of the wire because the open type looks good. But idk.

Chaser90EK
September 8, 2014, 8:29 AM

It's so nice when an MG comes together so easily... I like the custom Gouf but I hate the paint scheme. Robin's egg blue doesn't really strike fear into the hearts of your enemies. I'm thinking either dark blue like the body (an the original Gouf) or something a little more menacing. I also need to find a way to support that left arm since it has so much weight on it.

Dlinker
September 8, 2014, 1:19 PM
The color does make it look more like a good guy suit. Maybe a slightly darker shade of the existing blue will work also.

Zaku
September 10, 2014, 1:21 AM
Norris is a good guy. GLORY TO THE PRINCIPALITY!!!

Chaser90EK
September 14, 2014, 1:07 PM

No idea what the story is on the Strike Noir, but I love it. The color scheme scheme is great, the weapons are perfect, and I guess this is a newer 1/144 HG since it came with a stand :) My only complaint is that when placing it I knocked over my MG Exia and now I can't find one of those damn ball-join sword holders for hips...God I hate that kit...

Zaku
September 14, 2014, 1:10 PM
Looks good. And man those tiny parts can teleport im tellin ya.

Chaser90EK
September 14, 2014, 5:11 PM
It flew 3 yards and landed in my air vent...luckily the flaps were close and I got to play Operation with tweezers to grab...Mission successfully completed... I caved and bought a stand so I don't have to deal with that again. Next WIP will be the MG Spallow.

Zaku
September 14, 2014, 5:23 PM
You got lucky then. Lol

Chaser90EK
September 25, 2014, 9:39 AM
So I caught the plague while on vacation and while praying for a swift death, I put together the MG Spallow out of the box. (Side note: Can we please just call it the Sparrow since that's what we all know they meant!?) Anyway, fun build with a lot of different parts combinations which I mostly liked. The shoulder joints connect with a U coupling compared to the regular ball joints I'm used to. I feel this makes the joint much stronger and would be great for kits with large weapons/accessories. The only part I didn't like was the small blue panels at the top of the leg which hide the hip joints below the skirts. These pieces don't connect well and are very frail. I already have stress marks just from experimenting with the articulation after I finished the build. I don't see why these parts couldn't have been cast as part of the larger piece below them.

thwalker13
September 25, 2014, 10:00 AM
Nice, clean looking kit man. And yes, I agree. Sparrow is better.

But honestly, the 1st thing I noticed. Was the Hi-Nu Ver. Ka. it's sitting on. So jealous.

Chaser90EK
September 25, 2014, 10:43 AM
There's a Full Armor Unicorn Ver Ka below that :P

V0LTES-V01
September 25, 2014, 11:09 AM
Nice sparrow! Ninja themes are always cool to me, and the sparrow exudes just that.

Oh and I'm jealous of the box below. Mine is still on hold until the HWS arrive :sad:.

Chaser90EK
September 29, 2014, 7:59 AM
Mine is still on hold until the HWS arrive :sad:.

Already pre-ordered :)

- - - Updated - - -

I began working on the MG Zaku II and this thing is fighting me every step of the way. For starters the instructions have so many sub parts it's hard to keep track of them all.
Whoever came up with the idea of stringing 10 little pieces on a weak piece of plastic and a spring that you have to snap into 2 small holes should be shot... I broke the left one and several times had small pieces fly everywhere. I lost one but luckily there are 2 extras.

The seams on the head are for panel that lifts up for an "Under-Maintenance" mode, but the split in the bottom of the helmet is fucking hideous and will not go away. Going to have to try my Testor's plastic cement on it...Also, I don't know why but the gimmick for turning the mono eye jams and only let's me turn it one way. I broke down the helmet to see what's jamming and couldn't find anything.

It's a little hard to make out in the picture but a lot of the channels for panel-lining are not complete which means I'll have to dig them out. Despite the size of the Zaku's shoulder armor it feels structurally weak so I'm afraid of piercing it or bending it. I'd have thought on MG kits there would be a little better quality control.

And my ultimate gripe is that a ton of the pieces have imperfections on them from where the plastic didn't set properly in the mold. On the bottom of the shield are 3 sections where you can see overlap marks (Quality control?) I don't have a means of painting it now so it's driving my CDO (it's like OCD except the letters are in alphabetical order...AS THEY SHOULD BE!) crazy. Additionally, the Zeon crest is actually part of the shield so when I am able to paint it I'll hopefully have an extra decal.

thwalker13
September 29, 2014, 8:38 AM
You think those pipes are bad? Trying working with them on a RG Zaku. A test of patience if I ever took one.

But the head does look really good, I like the lining that added. I see what you mean on the nose cone, that seam does look out of place. And I don't blame your CDO for going crazy over that shield. Mine would be doing the same.

Dlinker
September 29, 2014, 11:32 AM
Ouch, that seam on the nose looks pretty bad. This is an older MG kit, no? Older even than the Zaku 2.0?

Chaser90EK
September 29, 2014, 5:38 PM
It may be a Ver 1.0... from 1995... I'll check the box when I get home.

- - - Updated - - -

Confirmed it's a ver 1.... I will have to get something alil more recent... AND BATTLE DAMAGE THE SHIT OUT OF THIS ONE!

Dlinker
September 29, 2014, 7:17 PM
That's the way to go, man. Older MG kits seem to be on the same vein as old HG kits in requiring more work and having seams at the worst places.

Gouf
September 30, 2014, 11:31 AM
If you want a shortcut to sanding all those ringlets, slide them over a piece of brass pipe and put a polycap at each end to hold them on. They wrap sand paper around them, and slide it back and forth along the pipe, in a motion all too familiar to our male members. It cuts the clean up time on those down to a fraction.

Also, here is an article I wrote for CoM about improving the posability of the Zaku 1.0 MG:

http://www.childofmecha.com/index.php/articles/tutorials/item/68-mg-zaku-1-0-revisited

You may find it useful...

Chaser90EK
September 30, 2014, 3:47 PM

The legs came together pretty easy... Only complaint is some of the panel lines end awkwardly so I don't know where to end them. Also still got a damn seam on the front of the foot...

Zaku
September 30, 2014, 4:09 PM
You need to get a Zaku 2.0

Chaser90EK
October 3, 2014, 9:30 AM
So after the fighting me the entire time the Zaku ver 1 gave up and went together nicely (after I snapped the scope of of one of the rifles >.>). Despite its last minute obedience, I am still going to damage the shit out of it later...just need to decide it's punishment.
Cracker please?

I used the exposed circuits panels for the backs of the legs just because they give a little more detail than just plain green all around.

Dlinker
October 3, 2014, 10:56 AM
It's a clean build, perfect for weathering/battle damage later on. Your difficulty with it kinda makes it obvious why a 2.0 was made, haha.

Chaser90EK
October 9, 2014, 7:42 AM
So leaving Zeon for a bit, I've started my MG Astray Red Frame. For now I'm building it out of box, but once I get my hobby area back I've been toying in the back of my head with the idea kit bashing it with the Sword Impulse and/or 00 Seven Swords.

Chaser90EK
October 13, 2014, 12:26 PM

So I must admit I am very impressed with the amount of frame detail on the Astray. Another plus is that the pieces are mostly connected to the runners on their back sides so hiding nubs in super easy. I'm holding back on panel lining for now. If I leave this kit as is I'll go back and line them, but I'm still toying with the idea of a kit bash.

Zaku
October 13, 2014, 4:39 PM
The red frame is looking good man. And under gates are always nice.

thwalker13
October 14, 2014, 8:27 AM
Zaku took the words right out of my mouth. Gotta love under gating.

Chaser90EK
October 17, 2014, 7:10 PM
There's so much detail to enhance...I may just shelf this guy when he's done as is and wait for hobby station so I can do it justice... and build a Justice :). I've already decided my first paint job will be my MG Gouf Custom. I have everything ready to go minus a place to paint it >.>

- - - Updated - - -

Holy f'in scale! If I was desperate enough I could use this as a legit dagger!

Zaku
October 17, 2014, 8:53 PM
Oooh Gouf Custom build huh. Sweet. And i never really realized how freakin HUGE that sword is. Damn.

Chaser90EK
October 18, 2014, 10:41 AM

I must say... as someone who knew nothing about the Red Frame aside from the Build Fighters version and who has dabbled in archery, the bow was a nice surprise. I always felt the bow was a poorly represented weapon in the Gundam universe... I think the Rising Gundam in G Gundam is the only time a bow gets to shine. I'm surprised the Sengoku Astray didn't have a bow since it's pilot's nickname was the Samurai Boy and the bow was the true samurai weapon and the sword was for when it failed. Since everyone always displays the swords I think it's time the bow gets the spotlight... if only it didn't take up so much damn space. Down the road I'm finding a way to make this kit stand with the bow without the base.

Zaku
October 18, 2014, 6:39 PM
I didnt know it had a bow either. Im an archer myself. Very cool.

Chaser90EK
October 19, 2014, 9:20 AM
So after the Zaku II Ver 1 left a bad taste in my mouth I had to redeem Zeon a bit. I went with the NG Zaku Warrior since I also needed a break from MGs. Damn this thing comes together quick :) I also added a clear mono-eye which I dropped and miraculously found to up it a bit to enhance instead of just using the sticker provided.

Zaku
October 19, 2014, 4:31 PM
Thats a NG? Looks really good man.

thwalker13
October 20, 2014, 7:45 AM
That Zaku looks really good to a NG kit. And your MG Red Frame is looking really good as well sir.

Chaser90EK
October 21, 2014, 9:12 AM
I've done 4 NG kits and they were all really nice builds. I like the weapon options it comes with too. You can basically make the 3 Zakus the former gundam pilots of ZAFT use in Destiny. My only objection right now is just the general color scheme. There's small white pieces for the vents which I don't think really belong on a Zaku.

- - - Updated - - -

Still working on some of the weapon packages but the suit itself finished nicely. There's something about these NGs. Despite not having an inner frame, the manage to hide it well unlike most of the HGs I've done that have exposed areas where you can see inside the hollow parts.

Zaku
October 21, 2014, 6:07 PM
Your pics aren't working.

Chaser90EK
October 23, 2014, 8:51 PM
fixed...

Currently working on the beam cannon and the flight pack with missle launchers... Hate on Seed all you want but ZAFT knew how to pimp out a Zaku :)

- - - Updated - - -

Because nothing says you're screwed quite like a Zaku with a flight pack and missles :)

Question: How have you guys painted pieces like this? Trying to figure out how to really make the missiles stand out

Zaku
October 23, 2014, 9:11 PM
This thing is really impressive. It has a lot more weapons than i remember very cool. "Because nothing says you're screwed quite like a Zaku with a flight pack and missles " very ver true lol. And for the missiles id just paint them with black acrylic then use rubbing alcohol to clean off the missiles warheads.

Chaser90EK
October 23, 2014, 9:28 PM
What tool you use to get in the insides of missiles in the middle? That's where I've had trouble in the past

Zaku
October 23, 2014, 9:33 PM
Cotton swab. Im a rookie painter but it should work just fine.

Dlinker
October 24, 2014, 12:50 AM
An enamel wash can paint the insides just fine too. Acrylic gloss coat for the entire surface area, then apply the wash which should cover everything except the warheads since the gloss coat will prevent the wash from creeping up. Clean up if needed with lighter fluid.

Chaser90EK
October 24, 2014, 7:32 AM
An enamel wash can paint the insides just fine too. Acrylic gloss coat for the entire surface area, then apply the wash which should cover everything except the warheads since the gloss coat will prevent the wash from creeping up. Clean up if needed with lighter fluid.

Good call... I'm limited to Gundam Markers still so I may wait for a hobby area before I take a crack at it because I really like this kit

And @Zaku They give you all the weapons to make the 2 Zaku warrior loadouts for Athrun and Dearka. The Buster Cannon looks really sweet and I really want to kit bash it onto something else. It takes up the flight pack slot which is why I didn't use it.

Chaser90EK
October 30, 2014, 7:57 PM
So I've had a hell of a week with lots of late nights (soccer championships and back to school night). So I haven't had much time to build. I have gotten a good piece of the MG Nemo done. I bought this kit for the sole purpose of it being green (I'm Irish...). I like what I'm seeing so far, especially the panel lines behind the visor. It goes against my painting beliefs but I kind of want to hit this with a high gloss metallic paint scheme.

On a side note, this arrived in the mail today...awwwww yeeeeaaaaaaaaa....

gundamENGR
October 31, 2014, 4:08 PM
I really like that visor, one of the reasons I would build a jesta when I have time lol

Chaser90EK
November 3, 2014, 5:44 PM

Sorry for the poor quality pic. I'll snap some better ones once I'm done all the weapons. I had initially planned to paint and battle scar this kit but I don't think I have the heart to damage it... It was just a nice clean OOB build and totally relaxes me at the end of the marking period (grading tests is worse than taking them trust me <.<). If anything I think I'm gonna mod him out and add some more weapons. In other news, I have finally located the source of the damn leaks in my basement and am working to get them patched up so I can have my hobby area back!

Bossguy
November 3, 2014, 6:48 PM
It looks good. No nub marks to be seen.

Happy to hear about the fix to the basement. That must have been aggravating, to say the least.

Chaser90EK
November 3, 2014, 9:01 PM
What will be most aggravating is when I got to open my paints and see how many have gone bad :(

In other news, this Nemo is pretty beast... if I was in Build Fighters I would probably pimp one of these outs. I wanna mess with the paint scheme a bit but I would keep the dominant green.

Wreeper007
November 3, 2014, 11:27 PM
fixed...

Question: How have you guys painted pieces like this? Trying to figure out how to really make the missiles stand out

Paint the part the color of the missles, gloss coat, then several black washes on the bottom. Let dry then repeat to build up.

You could detail the tip of the missles with a little white.

Chaser90EK
November 4, 2014, 7:40 AM

Barely into this build and the NG Destiny is making me regret defending the Seed series... The plastic is super-malleable so when I tried pushing the hear together I bent the accent on the left side of the head. Then when I tried to straighten it I ended up scratching the side of of the face... I have an Extreme Burst Mode Destiny coming so I have a feeling this kit is destined (lols) to get battle damaged by the Infinite Justice...

Dlinker
November 4, 2014, 10:48 AM
The EBM Destiny will probably be of better quality. Those SEED Destiny NG kits are pretty old.

Chaser90EK
November 4, 2014, 12:10 PM
Yeah but I've had great experiences with all the ones I've built until now. The NG Justice and Sword Impulse look awesome.

Dlinker
November 4, 2014, 1:16 PM
Maybe that NG Destiny knows the EBM will trump it and so it's giving you a hard time in return, haha.

Chaser90EK
November 6, 2014, 9:23 AM
I knew Shinn was a spiteful bastard :P

- - - Updated - - -

So I know it's simple, but I am digging the shield. The tall tower shield designs are ok for long range fights, but I like the small shield for melee.

After the face debacle, the kits come together well... my only gripe is the instructions take you all over the place between body parts, weapons, and the shield...

Bossguy
November 6, 2014, 11:10 AM
Unfortunate about the NG .The RG and MG versions of the kit are fantastic.

Yeah, you can't go very wrong with the shield. Simple is better in his case.

Dlinker
November 6, 2014, 11:35 AM
Got to say, it looks pretty good for an old NG kit.

Chaser90EK
November 6, 2014, 2:36 PM
I forgot to note that the accents under the eyes totally make it look like the Destiny is either crying or got those black tear tattoos :P

Wreeper007
November 6, 2014, 3:44 PM
Destiny goes hard in the paint.

Chaser90EK
November 11, 2014, 8:49 PM

Finished the OOB...the only two gripes I have are these leg thrusters which have hinged flaps that won't close, and the backpack unit doesn't really hold any of the weapons well...

Still a nice little NG kit...but I still intend to battle scar it.

My next build will be the HG Deathscythe Hell I had in my attic... STILL IN THE ORIGINAL WRAPPING!

gundamENGR
November 11, 2014, 9:02 PM
Nice work man, looking forward to the battle damage

Chaser90EK
November 13, 2014, 7:43 AM

I never realized how many sweet panel lines all these old HG wing suits had... this leg took forever just assembling and lining...

Chaser90EK
November 18, 2014, 7:54 AM

A nice little nostalgic build. The legs are a little to loose for my liking. I wish Bandai made an MG version of it instead of the EW version. I'll come back to give it a proper paint job when I can... Sadly after finally discovering the leaks in my basement, I have now learned that the plumbing in my bathroom is leaking as well so that is going to take priority over re-finishing my basement and getting my hobby area back -_- Next build will be the MG Gundam Unit 5 which I hope will go as well as the Unit 4.

Zaku
November 18, 2014, 11:35 AM
POW right in the feels. They need to make anime MG versions of all the wing boys. I would be so happy. And it really sounds like your place is falling apart man.

Chaser90EK
November 24, 2014, 7:34 AM
EH... it's 26 years-old and compared to a lot of people in my neighborhood I've had a good run... tearing up my basement was me being cautious and stopping the problem before it got worse.... just didn't think it would take over a year to find the leaking cracks... The bathroom plumbing is likely the result of my horrible and corrosive diet >.>

- - - Updated - - -

Only the chest I know but seriously if these kits were any easier they'd come pre-built. If I could get an RX-78-6,7,8,9,10,11... I would be happy

- - - Updated - - -

Loving all the little detail of this kit. Definitely want to hit all this framework with some copper/chrome paint to make the detail pop.

Dlinker
November 24, 2014, 11:11 AM
Wow, I'm kinda surprised at how much detail is in that backpack. Looking forward to seeing them painted up.

Chaser90EK
November 26, 2014, 10:06 AM

Like Like the Unit 4, lot of good parts separation so painting should be easy and the detail of the inner framer peaks through nicely.

- - - Updated - - -

Not quite done yet, but I couldn't wait to put him next to his brother to compare. They are such clutch kits I can't wait to paint them.

Dlinker
November 26, 2014, 11:10 AM
Loving how beefy they look. And they're rather colorful despite it.

Chaser90EK
November 26, 2014, 11:25 PM
It feels so solid in my hand (giggidy...). Nothing flails and it holds poses perfectly.

- - - Updated - - -

This kit was just as enjoyable at the Unit 4... Can't wait to paint it up

Zeta
November 27, 2014, 1:30 AM
So which one did you like more, Unit 4 or Unit 5?

Chaser90EK
December 1, 2014, 7:34 AM
I love them both equally but differently... They were both great builds and I can't wait to paint them. The only real difference is the special weapons which are both tits. I especially like the shoulder joints which give sturdy articulation as long as you tighten the screws. They can both almost one arm their large weapons.

- - - Updated - - -

Began work on the MG F-91. I enjoyed the NG so I gave the MG as shot. I am a little disappointed in the build since it's an older kit and the newer kits have spoiled me but after sleeping on it I'm ok with it. I'll probably use this as my first painted MG so I won't loose sleep over it. I also plan to build the F-91 custom right after this.

- - - Updated - - -

So about me saying I'm ok with this kit...taking that back... The damn joints for the skirts are the dumbest things I've seen. They only look on the bottom so the minute you hit the threshold for articulation they fly off. Additionally, the side skits open to reveal compartments under them but will not close. I thought this had to do with age but I see nothing wrong with the parts aside from poor design. Lastly the hip joints are asymmetrical! I have seen this type of joint done before successfully but since they are the same, there needs to be offset holes in the pelvis to make sure the legs are even. This is not the case for the F91 so either the right leg has to always be in front or the kit will look like it's leaning the to left.

gundamENGR
December 1, 2014, 1:24 PM
Sad to hear man, f91 doesn't look bad either. Didn't they come out with some new versions of it recently?

Chaser90EK
December 2, 2014, 7:28 AM
I know they made newer HGs which I hope are nicer. I have the F91 Harrison to build and I suspect the build is going to go the same way.

Dlinker
December 2, 2014, 11:53 AM
Hmmm, those are similar, if not the same exact, joints on the MG Crossbone. There's really no way to make them symmetric?

Chaser90EK
December 3, 2014, 7:46 AM
You can see where they attach to the body are at the very front of the one leg and the back of the other. The both go into the same hole though so one leg is 1/8 of an inch forward and the other is 1/8 inch back. The big issue to is that the ball joint is made up of 2 pieces. If they had used the 3 piece structure like the MG Sparrow (SCREW YOUR ENGRISH! IT'S SPARROW!) they would have been balanced AND had better articulation. I'll try and get an upskirt shot when I get home so you can see the issue.

- - - Updated - - -

This is a shot looking straight up at the F91 with the legs as close to parallel as I could get them.

Here's a front view shot. I couldn't get the camera to focus properly but you can see the kit's right leg is way in front of the left.

Dlinker
December 3, 2014, 12:03 PM
Tried switching around the parts for those ball joints and the thighs until they're exactly the same?

thwalker13
December 3, 2014, 12:10 PM
Umm, I think I know you problem.

Rotate, one of the hip joints 180 degrees so that the peg is facing the wrong the direction. Now rotate the peg clockwise. That should fix your issue. This is going by the MG F91 Manual on Hobby Search.

Chaser90EK
December 3, 2014, 5:27 PM
This may be the greatest dyslexic fail of my modeling career... we'll find out when I get home.

- - - Updated - - -

Confirmed >.> The skirts are still stupid... and in the interest of still having two valid complaints this kit's knees are worse than RG III's. Damn armor pops off just looking at them.

thwalker13
December 4, 2014, 7:40 AM
Well at least you got one issue solved.

Chaser90EK
December 7, 2014, 5:26 PM

Really loving the beam rifle. Just looks clean and the white just pops. Looking forward to give it a paint job and may steal it for another kit.

As a suit, I love the design. As a kit, I feel it's lacking. In order to put something on or tighten something up you have to remove or end up popping off something else. I may be able to use some well placed drops of glue to sure things up. I'll likely use this kit as my first MG paint project so no tears are shed on mistakes.

skulblaka-ven
December 7, 2014, 7:13 PM
You got a nice kit there man, the F91, one of my must-have-list.
Looking forward for your paint job on him. I'm sure it would be great.

Zaku
December 8, 2014, 12:06 AM
The F91 looks really good.

Chaser90EK
December 8, 2014, 7:29 AM
Building the Harrison custom now... figured it would go quick since I basically built it already. I'm liking all the black/off-black color scheme

Chaser90EK
December 15, 2014, 7:33 AM

Deja Vu? Liking the color scheme of the Harrison Custom so far. Only complaints so far is that the same index finger is loose as the original F-91 which leads me to suspect a mold defect. I built a leg last night but forgot to take a pic but it looks hot!

thwalker13
December 15, 2014, 9:48 AM
Looking really good man. Always fancied the Harrison Custom over the regular one.

Chaser90EK
December 18, 2014, 12:00 PM

Thought I'd show a little leg this morning :)

- - - Updated - - -

Still working in the weapons for it but the Harrison custom just looks so much more badass than the original F-91.

thwalker13
December 18, 2014, 12:02 PM
Just about anything looks more badass in a darker color scheme. haha very nice work man.

Chaser90EK
December 18, 2014, 12:38 PM
I was actually thinking about painting all the white pieces jet black when the time comes

gundammonkey
December 18, 2014, 1:17 PM

Thought I'd show a little leg this morning :)

- - - Updated - - -

Still working in the weapons for it but the Harrison custom just looks so much more badass than the original F-91.

Silly observation but the flash in the window makes a great lens flare. An unintended yet perfectly timed effect. I think the Gundam looks great BTW it's just that the lens flare adds something else to the picture. But thats just me ans J.J. Abrams talking (the king of lens flare AKA star trek)

Chaser90EK
December 24, 2014, 10:17 PM
I liked it too... but sadly the Curse of the F91 has shown itself again on Christmas Eve. Like the NG F91 I broke the cannon on the back trying to pop it onto the ball joint...the order in which you put it on makes no sense and leads to this risk...if anyone else builds the F91 skip ahead, build the cannon, and put it on before you put it on the body of the kit. You'll thank me... Luckly I was able to use my new pin vise to put it back on. However, I wasn't able to fish the top of the ball joint out of the cannon so I've lost a lot of range of motion. Yes, that's a pack of blades and 2 packs of stride gum I had to use to prop the part up. The extra kicker was I realized I threw away handles for the beam sabers by mistake /cry... Anyone know a good way to replace them? Worst case scenario I can just paint another kit's handles black... I'll post a finished pic later... Still getting over being bummed that such a smooth build went south. This build felt like the Philadelphia Eagles' season -_-

- - - Updated - - -

Chaser90EK
December 28, 2014, 12:11 PM

So I've moved on from the F-91 builds. My Delta Plus has been sitting in the backlog for awhile so it was time to build. It's a really nice kit with part complexity yet it comes together well. My only objection is that the dark paint scheme makes nub marks very noticeable so it demands a paint job which I will one day give it (seriously I'm gonna be locked in my basement for like a year when I can finally paint again to catch up on all these kits).

thwalker13
December 28, 2014, 6:20 PM
The MG Delta plus is looking really good man.

Chaser90EK
January 1, 2015, 12:49 PM
Everyone stop what you are doing and if you haven't already done so, buy this kit! Love everything about it.

The legs are solid. Good articulation but just enough friction to hold poses and stances.

All the parts just fit together so well and the look of the suit is awesome. My plans are to give it a red, black, and gold custom paint job when I am able. All I have left to do are the weapons and I'm looking forward to building those.

thwalker13
January 1, 2015, 4:28 PM
A red/black/gold color scheme will look awesome on the Delta Plus.

Dark Matter Dynames
January 1, 2015, 10:42 PM
I look forward to the finished Delta+, it's one of those kits that just needs a full repaint in order to look good IMO.

Chaser90EK
January 15, 2015, 8:51 AM
Needed a relaxing build after the Zeta debacle so I threw together my old HG 1/100 Heavyarms Custom. I build the 1/144 over a decade ago and got the 1/100 as a gift right before I quit building. It sat in my attic for 10 years until I found it last summer. It was a nice build despite the age and I'm toying with the idea of painting it using the color scheme of the original Heavyarms (Red, yellow, white).

Dlinker
January 15, 2015, 10:41 AM
I always wonder how nice it would be if that design gets a modern MG treatment. Just the quad gatling guns alone with all that extra MG detail would be awesome.

Wreeper007
January 15, 2015, 11:08 AM
.....those seams.....

Chaser90EK
January 15, 2015, 1:14 PM
It's OOB! I'll seal those up come paint time... for those new to the club, my basement has been taking on water through a number of small cracks for over a year so I have the whole thing torn up trying to fix them. This was where my hobby area was so until it's fixed I'm building at my small computer desk and on my bed >.>

Wreeper007
January 15, 2015, 3:57 PM
I know it is, in just remembering how much work it was getting them looking good and not destroying the detail.

Chaser90EK
January 16, 2015, 7:31 AM
So I began working on the GoGo Models version of the MG Kampfer and I must say I am pretty pleased with it so far. In terms of quality the plastic is a little different but actually feels stronger to me than Bandai's. My only complaint is one piece had fallen off the runner which happens with Bandai kits as well. Also some parts have some plastic fringe on them where the mold didn't cut away properly. Just takes two quick passes with the hobby knife to clear it away. The directions are Bandai-esque but there are some differences which took some getting use to. For instance in Bandai instructions there will be a small bubble for a small parts construction which leads to a bigger window where that piece is used. If the part has really specific positioning GoGo used the big window to show that assembly and then used the small one for the bigger piece. It's not necessarily better, just different. I've build the torso so are and am happy. I'll try to get some pictures up later

thwalker13
January 17, 2015, 11:08 AM
Nice to hear that you aren't have any issues with it so far. Can't wait to see some pictures.

skulblaka-ven
January 17, 2015, 12:42 PM
It would be nice to see the GoGo Kampfer being build,since I'm never see one.
And i feel you bro, about the instructions being different, because we got used to Bandai instructions. I got the same feeling when seeing zoids instructions. It's not bad, just different.

Wreeper007
January 17, 2015, 7:18 PM
Moebius instructions for the galactica are similarly difficult

Chaser90EK
January 21, 2015, 9:49 PM
So I slapped in a Wave Option mono-eye I painted red just because it had to be done. Other than that no custom work yet. One aspect I like is that GoGo mixes metallic paint into its grey parts so they don't look flat like the Bandai grey pieces that are exposed. There are and will be a few pieces that require gluing but I'm waiting for the end result before locking pieces in place. As previously stated I have an idea for a white/black and alternate black/white color scheme for the Bandia and GoGo kits.

- - - Updated - - -

Chaser90EK
January 24, 2015, 7:33 AM
Wanted to get some shots of the leg before I close it up... DAMN THIS THING IS SOLID! I was able to really put some pressure on these pieces without any fear a breaking. I don't even see any stress marks! A mobile suit kit from a Kampfer might actually finish someone >.>

- - - Updated - - -

Aaaaannnd I jinxed myself... broke the sliding knee joint on the left leg...

thwalker13
January 24, 2015, 12:47 PM
Ouch, sorry to hear that man. Was a break that could be fixed? And the only thing that I really don't like about the GoGo Kampfer is that the legs seem to be a bit out of proportions to rest of the body. They seem to be taller than they should be.

Zaku
January 24, 2015, 2:48 PM
Sorry to hear about the broken part man but this thing looks great so far.

Chaser90EK
January 25, 2015, 10:11 AM
The broken slide is damn near invisible unless you look at it from behind at an angle. I did a quick glue job but I'll fix it properly when I break it down to paint it. I finished the OOB build and holy shit this guy is tall. The scale is a bit off since it's taller than the Delta + when it should be about 2 meters smaller. Overall it just looks so badass and I can't wait to get my hobby station back to paint it.

Dom Tropen MS-09D
January 25, 2015, 10:20 AM
Hmm, the proportions dont look quite right. Its stands too straight.

Chaser90EK
January 25, 2015, 1:12 PM
There are clips on the hips I assume because they used another kit's mold that had side skirts. I plane and throwing heat hawks or something there to fill in the waist a bit. Other than that I'm happy with it. After I do my RG Zaku I'll build the Bandai Kampfer and do a comparison.

Zaku
January 25, 2015, 2:42 PM
Exactly what part did you break? Can you take a picture of it

Chaser90EK
January 26, 2015, 2:25 PM
Here's the part during assembly. It just helps move the knee armor

It's really had to get a clear shot of it without pulling off parts again which I'd prefer not to do until I get to paint it. You can see it's a little cockeyed.

Zaku
January 26, 2015, 3:19 PM
It is hard to see but I think I know the part you are talking about. And I may have a spare ill have to look when I get back home.

Chaser90EK
January 27, 2015, 8:49 AM
It's actually part of one big part that runs down the rest of the leg. Don't knock yourself out. I have gotten really good with my pin vise and plastic cement :) I have a tiny bit for it so I should be able to pull it off.

thwalker13
January 27, 2015, 11:41 AM
Though the GoGo has a ton more detail than the Bandai version. I'm still on the fence about the lower half of the suit. It just seems so out of proportion. But it does look like a pretty cool kit none the less.

Chaser90EK
January 27, 2015, 12:24 PM
Clearly the GoGo Kampfer doesn't skip leg day :)

Zaku
January 27, 2015, 10:27 PM
is this the part you broke?
http://i764.photobucket.com/albums/xx287/Zaku185/20150127_215847_zpstw4npvez.jpg (http://s764.photobucket.com/user/Zaku185/media/20150127_215847_zpstw4npvez.jpg.html)

Chaser90EK
January 31, 2015, 9:32 PM
Looks similar but not the same. I'll consult the manual when I get home.

- - - Updated - - -

@Zaku You were right sir that is the part. It clips nicely into another part which is why I thought it was just one piece. I still think I can make the repair when the time comes, but if I hit a snag I'll let you know

New question: For those who have built the RG Zaku II, is the armor on the back of the arm supposed to shift? When the arm is straight, the armor is nice and tight but as I bend it you see this parts separation. I was just curious if this is supposed to be happening.

Zaku
January 31, 2015, 10:38 PM
ok cool. and im pretty sure thats supposed to move on the RG. personally im not a fan of sliding armor at all with the exception of knee armor but only if its slight.

Chaser90EK
February 4, 2015, 4:32 PM
I would like to once again applaud the dude at Bandai who came up with these ideas for the RG Zaku II... this improved method for stringing the connected beaded parts is such an improvement of the MG ver 1.

In other news, little Zaky is coming along nicely... lot of good articulation but at the cost of some seam lines. Should make the weathering and battle damage stand out. Can't wait for this guy to murder the Zeta!

Zaku
February 4, 2015, 4:52 PM
That little guy does look good. And why would he murder the Zeta we both love killing feddies.

Chaser90EK
February 4, 2015, 5:33 PM
Since my dreams for the RG Zeta flight form were crushed (too many damn weak movable parts), I'm going to battle damage both and have the Zaku bury a heat hawk right in the cockpit or back for good measure...

Zaku
February 4, 2015, 5:37 PM
Zaku disapproves. Zeta is an ally and fellow feddie killer.

Chaser90EK
February 4, 2015, 6:22 PM
Build the RG model and get back to me :P

Master Of Gundams
February 4, 2015, 6:34 PM
There are clips on the hips I assume because they used another kit's mold that had side skirts. I plane and throwing heat hawks or something there to fill in the waist a bit. Other than that I'm happy with it. After I do my RG Zaku I'll build the Bandai Kampfer and do a comparison.

Zaku disapproves. Zeta is an ally and fellow feddie killer.
Kill the Feddies!
Kill the Feddies!
Kill the Feddies!
(As sung by Zeon troops)

Zaku
February 4, 2015, 7:07 PM
Build the RG model and get back to me :P

that kit is really that bad?

ShellShocked
February 4, 2015, 7:33 PM
heard dreadfull things about it myself Zaku

Zaku
February 4, 2015, 7:35 PM
well i guess im not so sad about it. i dont even like 1/144 now if i hear bad things about the MG i will be devastated but i will buy it anyways.

buildback II
February 4, 2015, 8:38 PM
well i guess im not so sad about it. i dont even like 1/144 now if i hear bad things about the MG i will be devastated but i will buy it anyways.

The MG Zeta didn't seem so bad. Then again I didn't think the MG Unicorn transformation was that bad either. It seems that the RG transformation suffers from more parts (and smaller ones) in the inner frame, but I can't confirm that since I don't own the RG.

Chaser90EK
February 5, 2015, 7:29 AM
Yeah the RG has too many moving parts IMO. It's hard to get it steady in mobile suit form, and when you try to convert it to flight form parts keep moving and it's just a mess. Additionally, the parts just seem so fragile. I typically work in the 1/100 medium myself but I went down to the RG scale for the group build.

gundammonkey
February 5, 2015, 7:15 PM
The Zeta RG is horrible to try and transform. In moble suit mode he is O.K. if you have a stand to keep him on.

Wreeper007
February 6, 2015, 1:45 AM
that kit is really that bad?

It's not bad per se.

Imagine trying to keep a wet noodle standing up.

Chaser90EK
February 14, 2015, 3:50 PM

So to practice my battle damage I've built the kit that seems to get battle damaged the most next to the GM (which will be my RG Zaku's victim). Correct me if I'm wrong. I'm going to put on the decals I want, hit it with a top coat, then come back with battle damage and coat it again when I'm done.

Zaku
February 14, 2015, 3:59 PM
That is the perfect victim. And I would do the decals last then do one last coat of clear coat to protect them. Decals are a "once they are ruined. Thats it. No second chances." Kind of thing. You cant just slap some putty on them or just glue them back together really. Im no professional modeler but thats how I see it.

Chaser90EK
February 17, 2015, 10:06 AM
Well like I want to put the 08 on the shield and then have a gash through it... I'll mess around with it and see what I get... I've never actually done decals before so I just have to forgive myself if I make mistakes. P.S. Based on your work I don't know if this is something that would interest you https://www.facebook.com/PlamoMasks/app_251458316228. Basically they do masks and the tiger stripes reminded me of your Gelgoog custom.

- - - Updated - - -

My first decal ever...I'm a big boy now!

Dlinker
February 17, 2015, 11:41 AM
Looks like well-done decal placement. What kind of decal is it?

Chaser90EK
February 19, 2015, 10:11 PM
The crest is a sticker, the EFSF and 081 are dry transfers. Going to so the rest of the transfers and then hit it with a top coat to even everything out.

- - - Updated - - -

Got all my pieces decaled, staked, and ready for a top coat...just need a damn day above freezing >.>

Until that day comes I'll be working on the Bandai Kampfer to do that comparison.

Chaser90EK
March 2, 2015, 7:12 PM

Ok here's the side by side of the Bandai and GoGo Model Kampfers. As you can see, it's like the movie Twins. The Bandai version while scale accurate really needs to eat its vegetables. One part of the Bandai model I disliked was the sleeve and wire come in approximations and you have to cut them to their measurements in the instructions... they can't pre-cut that for us!? If I had to pick, I'd actually give it to GoGo on this kit. I'm a bit tired to do a full review so if you have any questions, fire away and I'll answer.

- - - Updated - - -

So I've been busy helping my buddy survive his wedding and the weather has been poopy, so until I can get outside to mess EZ-8 to practice battle damage, I needed something to occupy my time

Working on the RG GP-01 and FINALLY! I have found a core fighter that was easily build and looks good!

Chaser90EK
March 5, 2015, 6:05 PM

So the RG GP-01 is coming along nicely... It is by far the most solid feeling RG I have built. Their hasn't been one step yet where I have been afraid of snapping or turning a piece.

Dark Matter Dynames
March 5, 2015, 6:14 PM
Just to warn you, you might change your mind about the solidity when you attach the torso/core fighter. I haven't built the kit myself, but I've never seen a video where it didn't look extremely unstable.

Chaser90EK
March 10, 2015, 8:13 PM
Still waiting for some decent weather to I can get outside and finish my battle damage practice run on the EZ-8, which will then allow me to finally finish my plans for the RG Zaku vs. GM build. Finished that GP-01 and I must say I'm happy with. Thanks for the heads up DMD! When inserting the core fighter it looks like the trick was making sure all the connections were made. I goofed the first time and it was very unstable. After taking it apart and lining everything up it's solid and looks badass. So wanna paint it!

Zaku
March 13, 2015, 10:13 PM
The gogo kampfers proportions are really bad. But it looks like it might be worth buying to steal parts from. And the GP-01 looks really good.

Chaser90EK
March 18, 2015, 1:47 PM
Still waiting for God in His infinite mercy and love to give me a weekend without crap weather so I can do some damn battle damage and weathering. In the meantime I went with the infinite theme and built my MG Infinite Justice. Still working on the backpack, but I really like how clean and sturdy the kit is so far.

Dom Tropen MS-09D
March 18, 2015, 2:54 PM
Looking great so far. IJ pretty Damn good kit.

Chaser90EK
March 22, 2015, 4:50 PM
Yeah my only concern is the hip joints are really stiff so posing can be tricky. May have to bore them out a bit. Everything else is solid.

- - - Updated - - -

The gogo kampfers proportions are really bad. But it looks like it might be worth buying to steal parts from. And the GP-01 looks really good.

I have a vision of bashing one with a Geara Doga...trying to plan it out still.

- - - Updated - - -

My Justice is done...although injured as you can see in the Parts Utopia forum. I managed to do some emergency surgery and miraculously he's standing. Hoping someone can come through with the part(s) I need and I've got a stand on the way to not take any chances. Plans are to just paint this kit in it's original colors with the exception of replacing the yellow with gold.

Chaser90EK
March 27, 2015, 8:09 PM
https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-iXsPmy8JU2M/VRRq55Yrz2I/AAAAAAAAENA/-d6hJkfG9qY/w649-h865-no/20150326_162402.jpghttps://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-BBqjDRcd4NE/VRRq8JPr_VI/AAAAAAAAENM/iXBvcYH2zfI/w649-h865-no/20150326_162411.jpg
Credit for this one goes to my 5 year old nephew. I cleaned the the nub marks, help with stickers and top coated it for him, but the rest is all him.

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-heo4Bnw6i9U/VRXvhQnj5rI/AAAAAAAAEN4/PfL7T9BqHv0/w649-h865-no/20150327_200203.jpg

On my own I'm building the MG Buster to blow his little mind next time he visits. He's never seen an 1/100 before :)

rockpopandchips
March 28, 2015, 3:13 PM
I like your opening post, keen to here more about the buids.