PDA

View Full Version : Bota's WIP Thread

Bota
July 13, 2014, 10:13 PM
Hey guys, I just got a few new kits so I thought I would make a thread to put up my WIPs and maybe gather some advice since I am doing some new techniques to my gunpla I haven't done before.

So to get started here is my first WIP, a standard HG Zaku 2, but im doing something I havent ever done before; Painting, Weathering, and Top Coating. Im going to try to make this kit look as good as possible, but im a little hesitant on weathering.

So I have a question for all of you. what stuff do you use to weather your kits? I just got some tamiya weathering sets and im practicing on spare parts now, but I wanted to know what all you guys use to weather your kits.

So heres the upper body. They have been painted and snapped together.

Here is the head, it has been painted and assembled.

Here is one of the two hands. You may notice these aren't the hand they come with, which are two of the same colored pieces. These are the 1/144 Scale Zeon Builder Parts Hands, which are pretty neat. They are multiple pieces so you can color the fingers and the armour separately. The have one to hold a gun, fist (shown above), and a open hand, all of which extremely detailed.

Bota
July 14, 2014, 10:44 AM

So here I have finished painting and assembling the upper body. Now all thats left is painting the lower body and weapons and then weathering the kit. It will probably be a while before I can start painting again though because I'm getting low on the light green that most of the kit consists of.

thwalker13
July 14, 2014, 11:39 AM
The paint looks super smooth man. Very nice job on it.

Bota
July 14, 2014, 6:50 PM
Thanks! On one of the hands I accidnetely touched it while it was still tacky and its messed up so once its completely dry I'm going to sand it off and re spray that.

- - - Updated - - -

So here is my Zaku 1 Sniper Type (Yonem Kirks Custom) WIP. This will be the first kit I do a weathering job on. I have done a little bit and the pictures below are what I have done. I have basically finished the upper body and the weapons, and tomorrow I will finish snapping together and weathering the kits, and then giving the kit a very light once over of top coat. Now I can only upload 5 pics at a time so in a post right after this one I will show the rest of the weathered parts I have done.

So here is the sniper rifle, al weathered up. I think it came out quite nice, I really am getting the hang of the Tamiya weathering sets, but I still have more to learn on weathering with these sets.
Here is the head. I added rust on the mouth piece and kinda made it run down like ive seen on real machinery.
Here is the chest, I think it came out quite nice, but the weathering is kinda light in some areas, may do some more later to match up to the rest of the kit.
The arms, I think they cam out quite nice, I love the rust color on these sets, it really adds depth in my opinion.

More to come in a bit.

Bota
July 14, 2014, 6:56 PM
So heres some more pics of the other stuff I finished on this kit and some more pics of stuff I already posted.

A better pic of the sniper rifle, I think the one I posted was a bit fuzzy.
Heres another shot of the head, theses more weathering on it, but the sun hitting it kinda made it not show up, maybe I need to go heavier on the weathering...
Here is the machine gun, I think the weathering on here looks good. Again, I love the rust color, I hope I don't over use it... :P
Here is one of the hands I weathered, looks ok, but some of the weathering spots don't look very realistic.

Dlinker
July 15, 2014, 1:33 AM
It can be kinda hard to get some good-looking weathering with the Tamiya Weathering Kits. I tried it on a kit earlier in the year and it ended up looking like post-shading.

What you did on the machine gun looks fantastic, though. Looked like the rifle has seen use in a desert or wasteland environment.

Setsunason54
July 15, 2014, 3:41 AM
So you've got your hands on the kit eh? Hey but it looks nice. The head came out awesome so did the rifle.

I haven't worked with the weathering kit so. Still looks nice. Have you tried using a regular paint brush?

Bota
July 15, 2014, 12:53 PM
I haven't tried a regular paintbrush, do they make paints that are made to be used as weathering colours? Or would I have to mix up my own paint to look like a certain colour.

- - - Updated - - -

So here is my finished Zaku 1 Sniper Type that has been weathered to the best of my abilities. Like anything, it could be better. But for my first time I don't think its too bad. But oh god the nub marks on the back of those pipes, man they look hideous!

And I know the back round doesn't really fit the kit or weathering, but I thought it would be better then a white wall.

Dlinker
July 15, 2014, 12:59 PM
Looks pretty good for a first time effort. The weathering on the arms and shins is a bit off compared to the rest (not as realistic), but in a minor way.

You ever think about welding seams? It would go a long way towards enhancing the looks of rounded kits like this one.

Bota
July 15, 2014, 1:11 PM
What do you mean by welding seams? like gluing them together or something? Sorry I dont really know what you mean by that, hopefully not a real welder... :P

Dlinker
July 15, 2014, 3:00 PM
Haha, seam welding is just using plastic cement (like Tamiya Extra Thin Cement) and essentially fusing the two halves of a piece together, then sanding the seam area smooth so that the piece looks like one thing.

No real welding needed, unless you're working with an all-metal kit :D.

Bota
July 15, 2014, 3:19 PM
Oh, ok gotcha, I'll definitely try that technique out on my next kit.

Setsunason54
July 16, 2014, 1:29 AM
And try a paint brush for the weathering. Not making your own paint but try just dry brushing it.

Dlinker
July 16, 2014, 11:42 AM
A paint brush does give you the ability to create that chipped effect, whereas the sponge brush applicator seems more suited for softer effects.

Bota
July 16, 2014, 2:05 PM
Ok, ill try the brush on the weathering next time. Thanks for the info!

Bossguy
July 16, 2014, 11:22 PM
Welcome to the boards! You have some great OOB builds.

Bota
July 17, 2014, 2:45 AM
Ah, thank you! Im just now getting into painting and weathering so most of my kits are unpainted/modified, but I plan to change that in the kits to come...

Chaser90EK
July 17, 2014, 8:31 AM
Ah, thank you! Im just now getting into painting and weathering so most of my kits are unpainted/modified, but I plan to change that in the kits to come...

Here's kind of the ghetto guide to weathering and battle scarring I've been using for reference. My friend said this is how he started just to give himself a feel for it before he went to the more pricey version (he has a full paint studio in his garage now basically worth a few thousand dollars...). I'm playing to beat up a GM like this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rvriWvufwyc

Bota
August 7, 2014, 12:25 AM
Alright, a little update on the first WIP that started this thread, the Zaku 2! My shipment from Gundam Planet has finally arrived after a post office screw up, so I can start working on it again. I got some more paint, but sadly the one can of grey I thought I had plenty of was the emptiest out of all of them, so I gotta buy some more before I can paint up that second leg rocket and the custom funnels that will be on the back pack.

But here you can see I got the Weapon Set 006 (Im pretty sure thats the right number) which comes with a shield, a WW2 German-esk rocket launcher, and some other stuff. The rocket launcher and the shield becomes pre assembled and as far as I can tell, glued. which sucks because on the under side of the gun you can see some pretty unsightly nub marks. I painted the tips of the rockets red on both the big and small ones, and I think they look pretty cool that way.

Also in my package I got the funnel set which has some different types of funnels, Sazabi funnels and some other flat-ish ones that looks like you can attack them to a side skirt or something. The Sazabi funnels come with a little attachment thats like a hole and pin that can conjoin the funnels to something. My plan is to measure out the backpack to find a centered spot on the backpack where I will take a pin vise to it and attack the pin to the funnels so they can stick out the back, which I think will look pretty darn cool. but again, I need to order grey so it will be a bit before those come in.

Dlinker
August 7, 2014, 12:56 AM
That rocket launcher looks fantastic. Shame it's not the kind that needs assembling. A lot of the time, those pre-assembled weapons can be a pain to clean up.

Bota
August 7, 2014, 1:31 AM
They, they definitely are to clean up. Also it looks like they kinda rushed the decals, because one of them was a little crooked and another was actually upside down... but oh well there so tiny you can really notice it.

Jfl0
August 7, 2014, 2:30 AM
Filling seam lines is pretty easy. You are doing a lot of great work and I can really see a lot of potential in you. Makes me want to go back and work on my Yonem Kirks again.... When I get to seam line filling on the Tiger II project I will post a video for you so you can see what to get and how I do it. It's really simple and will make the kit look a ton better. I like your work.

Bota
August 7, 2014, 10:24 AM
Ah, thank you! I would love to see how you guys fill in seam lines and such, its especially a problem on the Zaku 2, you can probably tell. Also, what kinda putty can I use for gunpla that wont eat away at the plastic? Im thinking of getting Mr. White Putty to help with some of the backpack modification and I didn't want it to like melt the plastic.

Dlinker
August 7, 2014, 11:26 AM
Aves Apoxie Sculpt does zero damage to plastic and it doesn't smell like death so that's a good place to start. However, it's not ideal for keeping things stuck together so if you want that, Mr. White Putty or even just Tamiya Basic Putty will serve you better.

Bota
August 7, 2014, 12:04 PM
Ok, and Mr White putty and Tamiya basic putty wont damage the plastic either?

Dlinker
August 7, 2014, 1:03 PM
Nope, and they won't make the plastic brittle either, but they are solvent-based so they bite into the plastic. And they smell like death.

Bota
August 7, 2014, 1:16 PM
Ok, good to know. Thanks

Zaku
August 7, 2014, 2:53 PM
Nice that Zaku is decked out. It looks like a one man army. And i like the idea of funnels ive been trying to come up with a way that would look good to mount some on my Gelgoog.

Bota
August 7, 2014, 5:55 PM
Thanks! Yeah I think funnels can look good on anything, but its kinda tricky to find the best spot to put em on.

Zaku
August 7, 2014, 6:37 PM
Yep i was gonna put mine near the bottom edge of the back skirt but im not sure if they would get burned up by the backpack thrusters there. So im not sure. I like stuff to make sense. Well as much sense as a giant robot can make lol

Bota
August 7, 2014, 9:23 PM
That sounds like it could look pretty cool, cant wait to see if it you do it!

Zaku
August 7, 2014, 9:30 PM
Thanks man. And the Zaku is really looking nice.

Bota
August 7, 2014, 9:40 PM
Ah thanks,I think it coming out good for my first painted build

Bota
August 16, 2014, 11:43 AM
So its been a while since I have been on this forum (At least it felt like a while). I was on vacation and I didn't have time to check on here at all the past week, and on top of that I don't have any grey to paint up the customize parts and the leg rocket or anything like that, also I have to plan out some way of executing the modified backpack without screwing it up. So I have decided to delve deeper in the world of customizing gunpla by looking into airbrushing, pla plate, putty, etc. But thats a whole other topic. Anyway, I have painted up the second leg since I do have green paint, and have gotten more customize parts I want to add to the Zaku. I got a pipe customize part which I want to add to the backpack as well, so it will end up looking kinda like a sazabi backpack. but there are some modifications I made to the parts that I think will look better once everything is done.

So in these pictures you can see the other leg on the zaku all painted up and done and the sazabi funnels and pipes when I was kinda holding it up to the backpack to see how it would look. I think once there painted and attached its gonna look fantastic. On the pipe you can see that little black cap I put on there. When I got the funnels I was supposed to attach another piece of pipe on there but that would make it the pipes as big the kit, so I went for a smaller one and took a cap for the weapon set I used (The cap held on spikes on the shield) and sanded away at the attachment point to fit on the cap the I glued it down. There are some gaps between the pipe and the cap I put on so I plan to get some putty to fill those in.

But for now this project is currently on a halt until I can save up for a airbrush set up or until the zeon gray spray paint comes in stock (If it ever does)