PDA

View Full Version : Razgriz450 Project Plans

razgriz450
July 12, 2014, 6:16 PM
Hey guys relatively new (yesterday) to the forums! Looking to get back into gunpla soon. Current plan is to start with the HGUC Victory Gundam and just learn the basics with applying a fresh coat of paint and some panel lines and just work on quality. Open to suggestions for other good HG to start with don't know much about the new Victory model and if there are any problems with it.

Also hoping for some tips on panel lining, I used to always use either the fine point gundam pen or a mechanical pencil but have recently become interested in watercolour/enamel with lighter fluid. Problem is im pretty clueless about paints and enamel, acrylics and the like. Ive seen videos of the watercolour and the lighterfluid panel lining but both seem to leave smears of black across the parts and it looks ugly, they said it evaporates but I haven't seen a video where it does. Also trying to figure out how to find the right shade of spray paint to use to match. Do people just play it by ear or is there some method?

Sorry if some of this is in the wrong category, If people like I will delete/move the thread.

Squee
July 12, 2014, 6:20 PM
The lighter fluid evaporates, but you still have to actually wipe up the excess paint. The reason you should use lighter fluid instead of enamel thinner is it evaporates quickly so it doesn't sit on the paint enough to attack it like enamel thinner would. Watercolour paints should not be mixed with lighter fluid.

razgriz450
July 12, 2014, 6:26 PM
Oh ok so its like a let it sit for 15-30 then wipe. Is it like a 1:1 ratio of enamel and lighter fluid?

Squee
July 12, 2014, 6:35 PM
It should be about the viscosity of ink. Very thin. Tamiya makes a prethinned wash, as well as many other companies. If you don't feel comfortable, maybe look into buying one of those until you feel you can do it yourself?

Setsunason54
July 12, 2014, 7:06 PM
I've used citadel black wash and they are awesome to work with.

razgriz450
July 13, 2014, 12:25 AM
Thanks for the advice. Start up will probably happen next paycheck so about 2 weeks... maybe less if I get anxious... Anyway, should I keep this thread or make a new one. If you haven't realized yet I haven't used a forum in a long ass time. >.<

thwalker13
July 13, 2014, 9:37 AM
You can keep this thread as your WiP thread. Just up date it whenever you have something new to report.

But I use Tamiya's Panel Lining Accent paints. They are enamel based and I clean them up with lighter fluid. They work very well.

razgriz450
July 13, 2014, 11:02 AM
So you use the lighter fluid on them after applying? Or no.

Squee
July 13, 2014, 11:07 AM
Yes. Generally you wait until it dries a bit, then wipe up the edges. Some say do it within an hour as afterwords it takes a lot more work/elbow grease to remove.

razgriz450
July 13, 2014, 11:28 AM
Ok. Thanks for all the help. You should see this thread updated pretty soon. I'm to excited about getting back into it. Sorry about the infinite questions.

thwalker13
July 13, 2014, 1:13 PM
Asking questions is how we learn man.

Setsunason54
July 13, 2014, 4:22 PM
Absolutely. If we don't ask questions, how will we ever learn? Lol well I think it's safe to say we all look forward to your project.

razgriz450
July 13, 2014, 5:14 PM
Thanks. I'm looking forward to showing you guys! Just hit up the local HobbyTown and unfortunately didn't anything I felt was right. There is this comic shop that has gunpla and had the Victory HG last time I saw so I'm gonna hit that place up pretty soon. Just gonna be preparing for now so I have a game plan. Decided I'm going to try the lighter fluid method One thing I am curious about is if I am painting and panel lining with intention to top coat, do I need to paint and spray a top coat and then do it again after panel lining? Or can I just spray, panel line and then use top coat?

thwalker13
July 14, 2014, 7:55 AM
You can do either option, but most people go the extra step and gloss coat before panel lining. It give for a more easier flow of the wash through lining. Especially if the paint you used happened to be a matte paint. In that case the was won't flow very well at all.

razgriz450
July 16, 2014, 12:37 AM
Mm ok. Yeah I usually prefer to to a matte top coat, so gloss before lining and then do a matte. Sounds good. I figured that gloss and matte top coat shouldn't be applied to each other but if there is no problem. I guess since they work like an extra layer by themselves they would be able to spray over one another.

- - - Updated - - -

Found this guy at the local anime store, couldn't pass it up. Favorite titular Gundam hands down. Work should begin tomorrow. I'm intending on focusing on the basics and the problems I encounter as a newbie. Trying to make it a sort of beginners learning process thread, expect a lot of close ups of nubs, paint cans, and the like. Very excited! Hoping for the best.

Crap, trying to figure out how to enlarge this photo, Its off my phone...

I did not think it would be this hard to upload a photo/enlarge it sorry :C
Also, what do I do lol.

Dlinker
July 16, 2014, 12:54 AM
Oooh, nice, looking forward to your experience with that kit. I got the MG version, but I'm still going to buy that one too. Can never have enough of the Turn A.