PDA

View Full Version : ASH's W.I.P. Thread

ASH74
July 12, 2014, 12:04 PM
Just got my Kotobukiya Border break Cougar Type-1 kit this morning.

This is my first Koto kit ever so I'm just going to do a straight build and work paint/decals after I'm done.

Let the build begin.

Dlinker
July 12, 2014, 4:56 PM
That box art looks enticing. Looking forward to see how this kit plays out for you.

ASH74
July 13, 2014, 6:11 AM
Got a chunk of him done yesterday.

Torso and head...

Arms...

Legs...

So far it hasn't been a difficult build.

There are a few parts that may require glue to keep them in place but its very minimal. Only a small handful of polycaps and like Gundam you get more than you need. Range of motion isn't going to be as good as the newer Gundam but joints seem to be good and tight.

Squee
July 13, 2014, 7:55 AM
Looks like a fun build! I really should have grabbed one of these when a friend was selling his for like 20 bucks. lol

Do they come with pilot figures?

thwalker13
July 13, 2014, 9:34 AM
Reminds me of the Jesta. But I can see a ton of details that could be painted up. Looks like a really fun build!

ASH74
July 13, 2014, 3:35 PM
SQUEE: No pilot figures. If you're lucky you can still score one for between $30 and $50. I get that discontinued kits can command a higher price but some are asking $100 or more for this series.

THWALKER: The amount of detail on these is really nice. Its gonna take some serious time and concentration with a Gundam pen. At 1/35 scale its a little bigger than the Jesta HG.

- - - Updated - - -

Got him built...

While this is a snap kit there was one part the directions suggested you glue. That part has stayed on no issue without glue. Meanwhile there are a few other parts I'm not going to have a choice on gluing because the fall off if you look at them wrong.

My biggest issue is with the hands. They will not stay together and will need to be glued.

Using a Gundam marker I started to detail the kit. That's gonna take a while.
I may need a new marker before I'm done.

Some parts are really tight and a struggle to manipulate. Others fall off if you look at them wrong.

Not a perfect kit by any means but the design and the detail outweigh the flaws for me.

Still, I really dig this kit and will keep working on the details. Plan on adding a few decals and markings. This is another I'd love to weather over time as well.

Dlinker
July 13, 2014, 11:00 PM
Seems like the perfect kit for detail-crazy modelers, haha. Sucks they're pricey now, though. It really does look like an interesting and entertaining build.

thwalker13
July 14, 2014, 7:59 AM
Great looking kit man. Mmm, the details on that guy. I like it.

ASH74
July 14, 2014, 11:23 AM
It took me an hour to pen one leg last night and it looks like a total noob did it... LOL
I need to up my game.

Running a quick search on eBay there are a few different Border Break kits at around $50-$60 each and one version (the Zebra 41.....cool kit) For $30 or Best offer. Seems they're coming back down to a slightly more reasonable retail. Still, a few want $100+ right now for NIB kits.

ASH74
September 11, 2014, 2:25 PM
Progress Report

Not much of a report though. Haven't done a whole hell of a lot in the last couple of months. Work was brutal and it's just starting to come back down to a reasonable level where I feel like tinkering again.

I'm currently putting together a second Border Break kit but haven't had the chance to really document it.

I also put together my HG Spallow and Titus kits before all hell broke loose at work. The past few days I've been walking up and down the paint aisle at work (yeah... I work at a Home Depot) looking at the Rustoleum options. I have a very strong desire to break down those HG Spallow and Titus kits and blast them with a little paint to see if it can be done. I keep looking at what others are doing here and wishing I had those skills. Well I aint gonna get them by wishing....

If I take the leap I'll be sure to show off the goods.

Dlinker
September 11, 2014, 3:03 PM
Take the leap. You know you want to :twisted:.

In all seriousness, doing is better than speculating so you'll have a better grasp of the paint process once you start.

thwalker13
September 11, 2014, 3:37 PM
Take the leap man. The drop isn't as far as it looks. And Dlinker is right, once you get passed that initial starting leap, it's literally downhill from there.

ASH74
September 13, 2014, 7:53 AM
Border Break Shrike Kit
Just did a straight build again on this one.

This was about 2/3 of the way done. The instructions are very similar to a Gundam build. Slightly different order. Wish I could speak Japanese because there are a ton of unused parts left over.

These Koto kits also take a little more glue than most Gundam kits. Not a lot. Just a drop here or there. What's funny is most of the parts they say may need glue.... don't. I'm finding I have to glue other parts because they just don't fit together correctly.

I know I keep talking about painting. I plan on messing around with a little paint this weekend provided nothing else comes up on my social agent (i.e. the wife doesn't find extra chores for me to do)

ASH74
September 13, 2014, 3:33 PM
The Goods.....

I'm sure most of you guys have much more sophisticated equipment than this but found it at my local Meijer's this afternoon and couldn't resist. It's been years since I've air brushed anything. Was never fantastic at it.

So for my first go I decided to repaint my HG Titus. I'm going to leave the white and grey as is for now. Focus on repainting the red and blue parts as black. I'll go in with some markers and detail a few things once the parts are dry.
Now I see why you guys tape all the parts to little sticks. Spent a good ten minutes looking for one of the smaller parts on the floor of the garage after I hit it with the first blast of air... LOL :D

V0LTES-V01
September 13, 2014, 6:40 PM
I'm sure most of you guys have much more sophisticated equipment than this but found it at my local Meijer's this afternoon and couldn't resist. It's been years since I've air brushed anything. Was never fantastic at it.
Hey man, it's all good, use whatever works for you. Just practice and practice, I assure you, your airbrush skills will develop. And if you continue with ample momentum of practice, it will refine itself. You'll notice it in your work as you continue to progress.

Now I see why you guys tape all the parts to little sticks. Spent a good ten minutes looking for one of the smaller parts on the floor of the garage after I hit it with the first blast of air... LOL :D
LOL, bamboo skewers are our dear friend. Just hit up your local grocery market and you should be able to find a bag. You can also use alligator clips for attachments if you fancy it.

Dlinker
September 14, 2014, 12:01 AM
^ What this guy said. Also, we all start from somewhere so no shame in using whatever you can currently get your hands on. Just remember that things can get better with better equipment, haha.

That Shrike kit reminds me too much of either Bumblebee from Transformers or a construction machine now geared for some old fashioned killin'. I think I'm going to google it up because it gave me an idea.

ASH74
September 14, 2014, 5:55 PM
Thanks guys. You're right. It's all a learning process and I just need to stop listening to the little voices in my head and do it.

That Shrike kit reminds me too much of either Bumblebee from Transformers or a construction machine now geared for some old fashioned killin'. I think I'm going to google it up because it gave me an idea.

Dlinker... search ebay. Most want some crazy money for these kits but there is a guy on ebay out of California that's been selling a few for a reasonable retail.

- - - Updated - - -

In one word.... rushed.

High gloss Testors Black.

I don't think I did an awful job for my first time using a beginners air brush kit but I rushed it and it shows. There are areas I need to touch up and I plan to use a few markers to do a little highlighting and trim work.

Still, I needed to take the leap and I did. My next investment is going to be bamboo sticks, crafting foam, and some poster board at the dollar store.

I also broke the peg that the right foot (his right...our left) pivots on so I need to fix that too. :mad:

Any thoughts and comments are welcome.

Dlinker
September 14, 2014, 6:31 PM
The black looks good in those pics. Kinda hard to say more since it can be difficult to really see the finish for gloss black paint, unless you were going for the super shiny finish. Any issues with paint chipping or flaking off?

ASH74
September 14, 2014, 7:20 PM
The black looks good in those pics. Kinda hard to say more since it can be difficult to really see the finish for gloss black paint, unless you were going for the super shiny finish. Any issues with paint chipping or flaking off?

I'm not sure if its flaking off or if it's just spots I missed because I half-assed the project. When I take a pic with the flash on you can see spots I missed which are near invisible unless you really stare the model.

Dlinker
September 15, 2014, 12:12 AM
It could possibly be the supposed half-assed work, haha. I wouldn't sweat it too bad. Not sure if you already know, but you can use plastic spoons to practice and experiment with airbrushing. Since a spoon has a large curved surface area, getting a smooth uniform finish on it is a good way to gauge your technique and what to improve on without spending money and effort on a kit.

ASH74
September 15, 2014, 8:39 AM
Not sweating it. Just calling myself out for wanting to do it then being lazy about it.

Good idea on the spoon. I might try that.

Shponglefan
September 15, 2014, 12:54 PM
That airbrush kit looks not unlike the first airbrush I started with. As long as it throws paint and doesn't clog too often, you should be good to go!

And +1 using spoons for test painting. It's the easiest way to try out new techniques.

ASH74
October 12, 2014, 6:25 AM
Started tinkering a bit with my Blue Astray kit yesterday.

Trans Am Astray...

I got the Trans Am decals off ebay. An 8 x 11 sheet with a bunch of different sizes and colors of the logo and some racing pin stripes. Plan on adding them to my other Astray Frame kits as well.

In all honesty this has been the most frustrating kit I've built since picking up the hobby again. I've had to glue a number of parts on this kit to get them to stay. The right shoulder still wants to pop off if you look at it wrong and his knives wont stay on to save his life.

thwalker13
October 14, 2014, 8:21 AM
Odd that you're having so many issues out of it. I have the MG Red Frame and had no such issues out of mine.

ASH74
October 14, 2014, 1:26 PM
I assume it happens from time to time. A bum kit. I know there's quality control and I've been happy with everything else I've bought from Bandai to date. This one just irks me. Nothing seems to fit right or well.

No worries though... super glue fixed some of that.

Hoping to get the Firebird decals on the Red and Gold Astray kits sooner than later.